• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official 2012 SH Rifle Order Thread

Re: Official 2012 SH Rifle Order Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Today I threaded the muzzle and installed a protector cap on the prototype rifle. This one is blended smooth but I can do knurled if you guys prefer.

download-19.jpg

download-20.jpg

I etched the logo on it too. I put it in the middle of the breech diameter section but it could be moved forward to get out from under the scope base, reduced in size or even put on the other side of the barrel. The lighting in this pic makes it look like it goes under the base more than it does. I had a hard time with my camera phone getting good enough light to see it without having glaring shiny streaks down the length of the barrel.

download-21.jpg

download-22.jpg

Obviously Frank has final say in any of these decisions.

Marc</div></div>

These look awesome, that blend on the thread protector is first rate, you guys are gonna love these rifles.

Also we have added the rifle to the SH Store, and you can order the build plus put the deposit down via Credit Card now...

http://snipershide.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=59&

At check out it will ask for the deposit amount,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

download-19.jpg

</div></div>

I'm most interested in all those Sentinel Stocks in the background
wink.gif

Do tell what they are for!
laugh.gif

Build looks great so far Marc, keep it up!

here's what happened after Marc touched a remington .308 that I'm now lucky enough to own. 5 shots @ 100y during sight-in and a 3 shot group @ 750y. Groups were done with Federal gold match 168gr off the shelf and resting on a harris. I'm a hobby shooter and this thread (almost) makes me wish I didn't just buy a new scalpel in 6.5 creedmoor. If I didn't just slay my bank account,I'd buy one in a hearbeat....where do I post my kidney for sale.(sorry for the cruddy pics, still trying to get this image host thing dialed)
url]

url]

Thanks guys.

yknot- 6.5 Creedmoor would be a great choice.

Those Sentinels had just come in and were waiting to be checked in and stored away. I got four of them so all of those customers are happy
smile.gif

Marc

MarcS

Bighorn's website describes their action as follows:

"The Tactical is a very stiff action it has a closed top for stiffness. This does make for an ejection port that does not allow for top loading thus it must be fed from a detachable magazine."

I apologize for my ignorance here, as I have not yet shot a rifle with a Bighorn action. Does this mean the shooter can <span style="text-decoration: underline">only </span> feed rounds from the magazine? I'm wondering if the shooter can single feed a round when the bolt is back (fully open) and an empty magazine is in the gun.

Yes you can single load it, what AJ is describing is for an internal box magazine, not single feeding.

Dropping a round in is not a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply. That helps.

Now I just need to find a way to fit the SH rifle into my budget.

Guys I still haven't taken that rifle out to shoot it again! It shot well even with factory ammo and 123's so I'm sure it's fine and I sent it in to Cerakote. I already lost two weeks thinking I would get another chance to shoot it with a variety of 140 class handloads and I didn't want to waste any more time. I'll do that when it's finished.

I'll be out of touch for a bit while I deal with moving my mother into a new house over Christmas. She's in the hospital now waiting for a heart transplant and I need to get her moved into a new location close to the hospital.

I wish you all a very merry Christmas and I'll talk to you again after the holiday.

Marc

Marc, prayers for you and your mother during this Christmas season. This is an important time for the both of you - these builds are far less important. Thank you for offering to build these for us - they will be awesome.

I sure do miss my mom, enjoy yours while you can !!

Hope everything works out well for you and your mom Marc. Have Merry Christmas

I hope your mom gets well soon and everything works out with her new home!
Merry Christmas to you and the other guys and girls here on The Hide.

Does anyone know what the specs are for Lowlights rifle? What's the best way to measure the correct length of pull?

The tang on this action is thicker and stronger than most others and it does sit up a little bit. Not a problem IMO. I keep getting requests for weight but I don't have an accurate scale yet. I'll get one soon.

Marc

What is the LOP on the test rifle pictured? And a greater LOP would be done through more spacers?

The prototype rifle is 12 lbs. 4 oz. Sorry that took so long to get I had to buy an accurate scale.

The length of pull is adjustable by removable spacers in the butt. The test rifle is at 13.5" as it sits now which is standard.

Marc

The rifle looks badass and the logo on the side is pretty damn cool too

The link on page one for the order/options sheet does not appear to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmrtnsn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The link on page one for the order/options sheet does not appear to work.</div></div>

They changed a directory in the server, if you are interested in ordering click on the orange shopping cart on the right and you can order one from the store.

Are the manners with mini chassis or just bedded with bottom metal?

Nevermind, saw the surgeon dbm listed.

I fondled the one Marc has finished earlier today. It is super slick, action is smooth, balances nice, the Manners folder locks up totally solid. The thread cap is done so well you cannot find a seem even if you try. All the logos, Spartan, SH, etc., are also done really well. I am sure Marc will be posting a range report shortly as he was doing some testing today. To those lucky enough to get in on this, you won't be disappointed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...To those lucky enough to get in on this, you won't be disappointed... </div></div>

+1 on that. Also got to check it out as well. The Big Horn action was really smooth and the trigger was crisp. Love that color combo on the stock and ceracote.

Marc I did not get a chance to ask you - is there a reason the bolt was not fully coated? Does it come with some other coating?

Steve

Hi guys I'm in the shop now after a very busy weekend of shooting.

Yes Frank is correct on the bolt coating. A.J. has them coated with NP-3 and recommended to leave them as is. The color difference is not immediately noticeable and it's one reason why the bolt runs so slick. The little rotating blast baffle was coated but that's it.

I brought the prototype rifle out to the Nor Cal match for all to see and then invited several competitors to come shoot it after the match. Everyone liked the rifle it was definitely a big hit. The ammo was from Andrew McCourt at McCourt Munitions loaded with 139 Scenars in Remington brass. It was fired from a bench with an Atlas bipod and due to time and ammo constraints each shooter got to dry fire it a few times then shoot only a 3 shot group at a 3/4" dot. Average velocity was 2,805 fps.

The rifle shot well without having a load developed and a fast rotation of multiple shooters that didn't have time to settle into the gun.

It's on a UPS truck headed to Frank right now.

download-31_zps132e4a50.jpg

download-26_zps5f7e783d.jpg

This one has one extra hole outside of the group that is from boresighting.
download-25_zpsebb977ec.jpg

download-24_zpsa6e40484.jpg

download-23_zpsca35b94b.jpg

Marc builds a dang fine rifle. I wish I had the $ to get in on this SH build.

That many different shooters on a rifle and it prints that kind of group for everybody....very nice work Marc!

Here are the serial numbers reserved and the ones available

1. - Eric I
2. Adam L
3. Frank G
4. Rodney V
5. Blair F
7. Sean B
10 Stephen D
11. William H
13. Todd C
15. Brent P
16 Richard D
23 Jame P

The buyers of these rifles are going to have one hell of a rifle. The fit and finish of Marc's work has to be seen in person to appreciate it

And it's not all tactical/field precision rifles, he has chambered some match-winning rifles for some F-Class shooters in NorCal.
Dasher5.jpg

Here's my 6 Dasher he chambered for me last year. Ghost flames by Kenny Prahl in Pennsylvania... Prahl Designs(724-478-2538)

Bottom line is Marc does extraordinary work and is worth waiting for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MarcS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This cute young lady shot the best group of the day which was no surprise. She beats the boys a lot :)

download-35_zpsb477c351.jpg
</div></div>

That SH2012 rifle looked awesome - great job Marc! I really dig the stock...

Lani and Nikki both kicked my ass this weekend! Took me a couple of rounds to figure out that my scope had gone sideways, and then had to confirm. Ugh...going to have to run a new, untested scope for TPRC - whee!

Marc,

Thank you for the updates. The demo rifle looks awesome.
Just curious..... were the rings Badger Ordnance USMC M40A3 (p/n 306-75) ???

I had the day off on Monday so I decided to go to Spartan Precision Rifles to check out the demo rifle before it shipped out to Frank.
I've seen some of Marc's work at the NCPPRC shooting clinic a few years back and was always interested in having Marc do a build for me.
I was glad to see Frank choose Marc to do the 2012 build, made my decision to get in on this build that much easier.

The SH2012 demo rifle looks and feels great, thanks again Marc for letting us preview it.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_0191.jpg

Wrong side to show it, but when folded this thing is locked up as solid as a one-piece stock.

The hardware on that folder is very solid in both positions. The design and quality of manufacturing and assembly are all very good.

Marc

I got a chance to check out this rifle after our LR match last Sunday and it was very impressive.

I'd jump in on this if I didn't already have a Spartan 260, a Spartan 243, and a Spartan 3006 in the safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCourt Munitions LLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Marc builds a dang fine rifle. I wish I had the $ to get in on this SH build.

That many different shooters on a rifle and it prints that kind of group for everybody....very nice work Marc! </div></div>

And you sir, load some very consistent ammo. The rounds I watched fired over the chrony were spot on.

Vu - thank you for the kind words on the ammo.

Looks like there are a few rifles available yet...I'll have to see if I can get some $ around to get in on the '12 SH build.

I've been meaning to try a Big Horn action, this would be the perfect time to do it....if only I wasn't $ poor!

I have some stuff for sale on Gunbroker right now. Hopefully it will sell fast enough that I can get in on this before the rifles sell out!

I'll take #9 if it is still available. Deposit has been place with my CC at the store checkout.