• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Hi Chris,

The tapered knobs are threaded, simply unscrew and screw on the new ball shaped knob.

regards

Ewen

ChrisF,
First generation bolt knobs were tear drop shaped and looked cooler but the GenII knobs we are running now are way easier to hold onto and operate the bolt. You can buy a genII knob and screw it onto your Gen I bolts.

2shot1kill,
Yes the EREK turret bottoms out, when I had a USO on one of our demo guns I dremeled the top of the scope ring slightly to get it to clear, the scope ring sets are optimized for the S&B line of scopes as far as the ring spacing goes and unfortunately USO's main turret block is massively huge.

Another day of testing pre-production HTI rifles. They are freaking tack-drivers! Easily getting 1 moa and better groupings at 500 yards. Of course I have had a BMG head-ache all afternoon from shooting to much. LOL

Been testing new loads on my new DTA 308. I've now shot about 200 rounds through it. So far I've tried loads the bottom end of the scale so I can work up. Been trying 168smk and 175smk with 43 grains varget, fed premium primers and new lapua brass. OAL 2.80. I've been getting about MOA with the 175 load but can't get better and sometimes worse. I know there are numerous variables to work through but just wanted to find out if the 1/2 MOA result is based on proper front bench style tripods and proper rear bags? I'm just using an average bipod and no rear bag or monopod. Am I expecting too much without these items or is 1/2 MOA possible with a standard bipod? Any load recommendations for 308 to start with? Cheers

BirdmanOz,
I would suggest trying some factory loaded federal 175 SMK's if they don't shoot send the conversion kit back to us at the factory and we will diagnose it and replace if necessary. The barrels should easily be getting 1/2 moa with several brands of factory match ammunition.

Thanks

Nick

Cheers thanks Nick. I will run some control loads with federal gold medal match and see what results I get. I'll try and eliminate all the major variables first and then failing that I will contact the Australian distributor and get it tested.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Thought I would post a pic of my SRS. I had Jon Beanland chamber it in 284 Win w/a 26" bbl. After some trial and error we got it to feed and it is shooting and working great. Can is a Quicksilver. Going to do a 338 Norma Imp soon. Just got my dieset and Jon is working on the bbl.

722657592_photobucket_50634_.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been testing new loads on my new DTA 308. I've now shot about 200 rounds through it. So far I've tried loads the bottom end of the scale so I can work up. Been trying 168smk and 175smk with 43 grains varget, fed premium primers and new lapua brass. OAL 2.80. I've been getting about MOA with the 175 load but can't get better and sometimes worse. I know there are numerous variables to work through but just wanted to find out if the 1/2 MOA result is based on proper front bench style tripods and proper rear bags? I'm just using an average bipod and no rear bag or monopod. Am I expecting too much without these items or is 1/2 MOA possible with a standard bipod? Any load recommendations for 308 to start with? Cheers </div></div>

Have you tried moving your bipod back to the center of the forearm. It seems to work a little better for me. If that doesn't work try shooting off of sandbags.

Chas1759 is correct, putting the bipod in the middle of the guns hand-guard reduces rifle jump.

Hey Crew!
I have a dilemma. I lost all Gmail archives. I was forced to reset my account. I lost all my old Emails. I had allot of you asking for butt pads or check pads. I did ,Have to stop sewing for a few months. I am now back in full swing!!.Please email me using
[email protected]
Thanks Guys!!
Brian Muoio
949-310-9621
srs1a.jpg

srs2.jpg

DTAButtTop.jpg

covertpadblk.jpg
]

Hey tactical textile. Any chance you could design some sort of rear pad that also has some sort of fold down rear bag type support. If it could be designed to be light (and maybe velcro fold down) then it may be a simple alternative to the monopod. Not necessarily as robust but better than nothing. Just a thought because you seem pretty handy with this.

I have thought about adding a Velcro to the bottom of the butt pads and add a little been bag the size of a small baseball that will fit in your pocket that will also have the velcro on it. for a perfect steady mono bag. I basically can make anything you desire. But want it to be so cool that it will appeal to everyone when I spend the numerous hours it takes to make the sample ready for production. This way I don't charge for all the R&D, trial and error. As well as fit/function etc. because I can make more for everyone that likes the idea. Just a small note.. I am on this thread to make a buck$$ I am a fellow DTA guy. I am not a sewer for trade trying to advertise for money. I do this for the hobby aspect and love to make cool stuff. One day I will hopefully get my oldest son to sew full time. I am always free to talk to anyone that has an idea.
Kind regards
Brian
949-310-9621

Nick, any word on that 18" barrel for the 338 Covert that they posted on page 22 of the thread? I am waiting for one of those to place my order.

Brian,

Do you have a cheekpad and/or buttpad that don't obstruct DTA SRS built-in monopod? If so, I'd be very interested.

Also, it would be nice to know the prices. Also, your Web site seems down.

P.S. Sent you email just after you posted here, haven't heard back.

P.P.S. 3rdgss, what kind of cheekpad are you using on your SRS?

Mouse,

He told me he does. I have the monopod and have ordered a buttpad from Brian.

Jong, thanks. I will give him a call then, and post the results here.

Guns4570,
We finished up testing different barrel lengths with the 338LM and 300WIN for the covert rifle system:

- The 18" barrels in .338LM got 2630 fps with 300 grain (factory Corbon ammo) down from 2874 fps with 26" tubes.

- The 300 Win got 2826fps with 185 grain Berger (HSM factory ammo) down from 3050 fps with 26" tube.

Temp was 95 deg at approx 5300 ft above sea level. Production barrels on on order and will be several weeks out.

I am super excited about the latest design. They have evolved to perfection! I have had many requests for them. I hope everyone understands I am a fellow DTA groupie and sew purely as a hobby. I sew each one like it's for myself. I promise to get your out but please be patient. I have three little kids and a full time job.
CheekPadLeft.jpg

ButtRight.jpg

marpatleft.jpg

b10.jpg

Brian, perfect! That's just what I want, except that I want it with a cheekpad.

No you haven't responded to my email, so I'll call you directly.

Thanks!

Question: what do people figure for the best length of pull (LOP) for SRS? The basic formula I saw is "measure from the inside your elbow to your trigger finger - that's your preferred LOP". For me that would mean removing all the spacers from the SRS buttpad.

Anybody could share their experience adjusting SRS length of pull? What's your "biometric" LOP, and what LOP of SRS worked the best for you?

Tnx!

Mouse and I have been back and fourth via email as well as phone. The reason this is so critical for me to know. Is the pattern I will use to make the cheek pad. I asked mouse to ask all of you a good formula to this dilemma.
I have very long arms and feel fine with 2 spacers and a pad but I seem to go off the scope ring more than the pull??? What is your thoughts guys??
Thanks.

I live in Seattle and am very interested in the DTA SRS. If I like the feel of it, I will be purchasing next year (the economy has seriously cut into my rifle habit). Is there anyone here that lives close by and is willing to let me look at the rifle? I missed their booth at SHOT this year, I just forgot to stop by...Live and learn.
Also, has anyone used the new suppressor offered by DTA?

thanks

clint

Here is a new custom cover my friend made for me, let me know what you think. The trigger guard is covered so it is range friendly aswell.

DSC00880.JPG

DSC00882.JPG

Scott I love that SRS cover.....where do we get them and how much?...LOL:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott I love that SRS cover.....where do we get them and how much?...LOL:) </div></div>

Thanks, that cover was custom built for my rifle from a local guy who is amazing with fabric(never thought I would say something like that). I will ask him to see what he wants for another one like that.

Covert sight in today. I went out to get 4 rifles on the paper today and one was the Covert after moving scopes around. OMG the muzzleblast from that little beast is either awesome or unreal. Thats the first rifle I have ever felt the blast hitting me from driving it. Let's say the break on it is very effective. I know if I get that 338LM converstion..I am going for a can for sure. Never thought I would want one but owning a Covert...you think differently.

1st time I fired my Covert was just to send a few rounds and get the scope dialed somewhat close. So I did it at an indoor (25 yd) range...in between the dividers, and the muzzle brake barely cleared them. Thought for an instant I'd been hit up side the head with a ball bat (LOL).

According to an email that went out the other day, the HTI is now available for pre-order from DTA dealers. I'm hoping I can get one here in NZ.

Any word on when the new calibres are going to be available. Specifically the 6.5 x 47 lapua?

birdmanOZ:
I had ask them the same thing about hmm a week ago. They are waiting for the barrels to arrive then some testing. Hoping for good news like: The 308 mag and bolt will work for 6.5x47, so all you need is the new barrel!

Does anyone make aftermarket Mags for the SRS (308 or 338) yet? and if not have any of you asked around about this??

Never really gave too much thought to a DTA but after seeing all the cool stuff that DTA has done/is doing for this platform I might just have to save a few more dollars and pick up one of these platforms. Keep up the good work DTA, you just might have a new customer in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BirdmanOz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on when the new calibres are going to be available. Specifically the 6.5 x 47 lapua? </div></div>

Bump.

I believe we received some in yesterday, not sure what calibers, I will verify in the morning and let everyone know which new calibers showed up.

Sorry if I got everyone excited about the new barrel kits, unfortunately the new barrels were not in the batch that we got, Walther has promised us they will be shipping in two weeks which means they should be ready to ship to customers from us in approx 4 weeks. Quite honestly, the delay was caused because Walther missplaced our order in the transmission from the US to Germany but Walther has done such a great job with everything else and the quality of their barrels is fantastic so we are still very happy with their service. Unfortunately the mistake delayed new conversion kits release date six months.

So to clarify. Do the 6.5 x 47 cal come with a full conversion kit with new bolt, mag and drop in barrel etc (in which case I would expect cost will be like the other conversion kits) or are they a subset of components that may come at a lower price? There are a few people claiming to make after market DTA cals now and I don't really follow how it works (are they making kits or just re rebarreling existing kits)

Birdman, not to speak for DTA, but some calibers are compatible with bolts and mags of others. So if it uses a .308WIN bolt face and feeds from a .308WIN magazine, then all you need is a new barrel with barrel extension. That's what many of the 3rd party folks are offering. As far as I know no one is making 3rd party bolts and mags for SRSs - just spinning new barrels that are compatible with existing bolt/mag combos.

Hi guys, new owner and new to this forum.

Just got my SRS 308/338 and just doing some research on a scope for it, i think the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 might be the one for my use.

But anyways, on the 308 rounds, will most work that's out there? I mean, any problems with other manufactures 308 round?

Thanks

patiently waiting for a 260 barrel
laugh.gif

Different factory .308 loads will do the same thing in a DTA SRS that they will in any other rifle. That is to say, some will do well, others may not do so well. I have used CorBon 155 Scenars, Black Hills and FGMM in both 168s/175s, Hornady 150 SSTs, and CorBon 190 SMKs, among others. All performed reasonably well, but none would be considered "inexpensive" or "plinking" ammo. Although you may be lucky enough to find a less expensive round that works well in your SRS, usually you get what you pay for. You might consider Southwest Ammunition .308 loads (Match or Run-N-Gun), which generally get very good reviews from Hide members.

http://www.southwestammunition.com/category_s/61.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRS 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys, new owner and new to this forum.

Just got my SRS 308/338 and just doing some research on a scope for it, i think the NF NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 might be the one for my use.

But anyways, on the 308 rounds, will most work that's out there? I mean, any problems with other manufactures 308 round?

Thanks
</div></div>

For an SRS, I would go with a Premier. The glass in the Premier is top notch and the quick adjust turrets are awesome for when you are swapping between barrels/calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">patiently waiting for a 260 barrel
laugh.gif
</div></div>

I'm doing the same. Hopefully, it will only be a few more weeks.

Nightforce is a great value. Get front focal plain and match your reticle to your turrets mil/mil or moa/moa eliminates a lot of headache.

If your looking for the best S&B is it. Premier is great too but at the price spend a bit more and get the s&b.

Nick have you ran the vortex stuff yet? i'm running a Razor on my DTA and love it.

Thanks for the info. I wasnt sure if I needed a special round. This is my first bolt action rifle.

And thanks for the link too.

Nick, in my (limited) experience Vortex Razor HD scope is the most convenient one to use, given the balance of features and quality it offers. I use it exclusively on my DTA SRS, and it serves me very well. I tried other scopes on others' rifles, and while they were fine - I felt that they were less convenient/comfortable for me to use. The reticle design plays a role here - I love EBR-2 (and now EBR-2B) that allows me to see the target at any magnification. Ranging with it (UKD course) was quite easy too (though I do wish it had 0.1mRad subtends instead of 0.2mRad) - I got all the targets there...

I think it would be a benefit to your customers if Razor HD would be among the optics you offer with the rifle deployment kits.

I'm going to ask the question again. Are there plans for a left hand version?

TIA,

Andy

How about the modular hand guard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gregsjt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about the modular hand guard? </div></div>

I would be all over a modular hand guard. I would like to see a forend similar to the AI AX that allows the user to place rails where needed.

Another thing i would like to see would be the ability to easily swap the forend out, which would allow the owner to have a covert style rifle or a full length hand guard when desired.

Well i was going to post a couple of pictures but can't seem to find the attachment button.

Unless it's my iPad thats giving me the problem.