• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

My A1 bolt doesn’t seem to have this chamfer at all
41340C3E-CE4D-44E1-ADFF-4001DA3F8034.jpeg

Had the new DT SRS Covert out the other with the Bartlein 450 Bushmaster barrel.

Gun wasn’t consistently shooting. Could’ve been me (I suck) but normally I can shoot some good groups. This thing was shooting well but maybe within 4-5” at times throwing shots.

I was shooting Bear Creek Ballistics 459 bushmaster 240gr copper projectile moving at 2590fps (which is cooking for 450bm) I chrono’d mine at an average of 2515fps

Anyway I was using a Rugged Obsidian 45 silencer. After taking it home and cleaning it I noticed the front baffle was completely destroyed. Doesn’t look like a baffle strike to me but almost a pop can being crushed. Maybe that had to do with accuracy inconsistencies??

Then after further examining my brass. Every single primer is protruding out. I contacted the ammo manufacturer (Bear Creek Ballistics) and they seem to have never had these issues using a variety of different firearms.

He pointed out that the chamfer on the firing pin hole is extremely large. Thinking that maybe it’s out of spec or the chamber pressure is extruding the primer into the chamfer into the bolt face.

I have not shot the firearm with the 6.5cm barrel due to wanting to sight it in for gun season here in a few weeks. Planning on hitting the range in a few days and trying some factory Hornady 250gr ammo along with no silencer or maybe my VERS 458 can. Bullets were not keyholing. View attachment 7731114View attachment 7731115View attachment 7731118

I‘d definitely shoot it without anything on the barrel with the same ammo to see what happens. the loads don’t look over pressure because the edges of the primer are rounded. Primer is just flowing into the chamfer. No idea why the new boly is like that.

I‘d definitely shoot it without anything on the barrel with the same ammo to see what happens. the loads don’t look over pressure because the edges of the primer are rounded. Primer is just flowing into the chamfer. No idea why the new boly is like that.
Do they all have that big of a chamfer on the new A2 firing pin hole bolts?
That's a baffle strike. Did you shoot any rounds without suppressor or check concentricity of threads?
I did not shoot any rounds without the can. I will this next time out. How do you check concentricity of threads? I just looked down the barrel with the can on and used a mccaster car steel rod as my suppressed alignment rod and it seems to line up fine. Wouldn’t it be odd to have a baffle strike on the first baffle but not the other ones further down the line?

Used my homemade mccaster card alignment rod which fits snugly in the 450 barrel. Looks lined up to me. I make sure every 1-2 shots max using direct thread to always check and make sure the can is secured tightly so I know it wasn’t loose on there.
952FC9F2-9B7F-48DE-8AC0-66E7874D49CC.jpeg

I had a strike on only the 5nd baffle of a can with 15 baffles. Anything can happen. Mine was chocked up to an unstable round per the suppressor mfg

I had a strike on only the 5nd baffle of a can with 15 baffles. Anything can happen. Mine was chocked up to an unstable round per the suppressor mfg
Interesting. Anything can happen is right. Anxious to get this thing back out either Sunday or Monday and shoot some normal Hornady rounds and this high loaded stuff. See wtf is going on and if I can get it to shoot better than a shotgun

.452”vs .458” .45 Caliber? On the the baffle strike?
Surely the exit hole is .460” or better.

I don’t own any .45 caliber cans but my first muzzle brake (brake: as in “stopping” recoil) split on the first Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Sierra HPBT factory round fired from my Ruger 77V .308 Winchester.
Turn out the exit hole was for a 7mm (.284”) projectile….Company installed another brake.

Can’t deny the OPs primers match the chamfer on the firing pin hole.

Color Question

In most of the pictures I see online and even some YouTube videos of the A2 SRS, the FDE chassis looks much lighter in shade/color than the A1's before it. I had an A1 and the FDE color was exactly as FDE should be (in my opinion). Now they look like "airsoft gun tan" in the images that I see of the A2's.

First pic is an A2 that seems to have the lighter shade of FDE to my eyes. Second pic is an A1 image that looks just as my A1 did. Just curious if anyone knows if DT actually changed the FDE color?

Thanks!

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 100
  • maxresdefault (1).jpg
    maxresdefault (1).jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 98
Can’t deny the OPs primers match the chamfer on the firing pin hole.
I’m not thinking they’re over pressured. Shot 3 rounds of hornady 250gr FTX factory loads. The primer is flowing into the chamfer on them as well slightly. Will get out next week to do some accuracy testing without a can on
8CF4A9BC-91AE-4A65-B757-B9FE9ECEF80C.jpeg

I'd check with DT as to why there is that chamfer on that bolt face - it is unusual, and manufacturing "irregularities" are well documented on these guns.

As to the baffle strike, I'd worry about instability of the copper solids and check length and twist.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
My lapua size bolt also has that chamber around the fp hole. No big deal, just have to push primer out if you're checking fired headspace.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
Hi guys,

I've got this in the EI thread as well, but anyone with an Elite Iron on an A2 what offset did you go with?

On the cue of @deersniper I went over to check out Salmon River Solutions and got in contact with him about making an SRS for SRS rail. Sent him a chassis to work with today. We'll see what he turns out. I was sure to make it very clear we wanted Arca ALL the way back to the trigger guard in addition to a few other features that I would have liked to see.

Anything y'all want me to add as far as requests go before he gets to work?

I fbi n
On the cue of @deersniper I went over to check out Salmon River Solutions and got in contact with him about making an SRS for SRS rail. Sent him a chassis to work with today. We'll see what he turns out. I was sure to make it very clear we wanted Arca ALL the way back to the trigger guard in addition to a few other features that I would have liked to see.

Anything y'all want me to add as far as requests go before he gets to work?

I think back to the plastic would be fine
Back to the trigger guard would cause a high bore over rail height

E5B2A8C5-6531-4398-85B2-69EC9A5FF4AF.jpeg

I actually asked him to step it down. So, in theory, the rail rides close to the handguard the way to the plastic and then drops down to the chassis panel bottom, if that makes sense

I actually asked him to step it down. So, in theory, the rail rides close to the handguard the way to the plastic and then drops down to the chassis panel bottom, if that makes sense
what about if the plastic was cut in front of the trigger guard?

I keep seeing people complaining about weak ejection with short action cartridges.
Today I went to the range and forgot the SA bolt plug. Without it I'm having the best ejection I've ever had on the SRS.
So everyone may want to try and leave the plug out and see.

Reactions: Sako man
I keep seeing people complaining about weak ejection with short action cartridges.
Today I went to the range and forgot the SA bolt plug. Without it I'm having the best ejection I've ever had on the SRS.
I swaped the ejector spring out and all good now, but in combination that might be the trick.

a lot of the weak ejection issues can come from shit strokes of the bolt, but yeah I will say that without the bolt stop it can help.

The SRS requires rapid bolt manipulation and proper bolt handling to have uninterrupted ejection. Not trying to talk down to anyone, however, gripping the bolt knob between the thumb and the index finger while making a fist and running the bolt fast and precise will avoid most ejection issues.

I noticed in a supported cross-legged sitting position, compressed to a lower than normal sitting position, my firing hand angles down and towards the chamber, blocking the ejection path, so I have to adjust my grip as I pull the bolt to the rear. But I rarely ever shoot in that compromising position, though it's worth noting. Once I figured that out, I haven't had any ejection issues with the bolt stop in place.

DT SRS A2 with a 32 inch 300 norma mag barrel for the 2021 (not guided) Public Land elk hunt in Colorado. Got me one 2 years in a row! A little on the heavy side with the long ass barrel and a very thick contour, but she got the job done at 745 yards.

TS Customs barrel, bughole groups. Used a mild load sending 210 bergers at 3,000 fps.

Attachments

• 20211113_084748.jpg
    20211113_084748.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126
  • received_2199937536820802.jpeg
    received_2199937536820802.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 109
  • received_1776244715906782.jpeg
    received_1776244715906782.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 20211114_101920.jpg
    20211114_101920.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • 20211114_081119.jpg
    20211114_081119.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20211114_080909.jpg
    20211114_080909.jpg
    720.1 KB · Views: 128
B3ADDDB4-4BC8-4AE3-A620-04B504056A09.jpeg
Covert with factory 7 WSM on a gnarly whitetail last night. Topped with bushy LRHSi 4.5-18 at 140 yards with 175 ABLR. Darned deer ran 100 yards after I took out a lung! He also had a broadhead in his neck from recent times (based on wound still being open.) tough son of a gun.
545B7AB3-8610-46DD-886A-62D21FBFE88D.jpeg
5E0C11A1-A0CD-4052-BF79-76081A66F13E.jpeg

Reactions: LongRangeJunky
The zipper gave up the ghost on my precision rifle rifle bag/shooting mat. What soft case do you all use? Preferably I’d like to be able to fit my rifle in the case with the can still on. Rifle is a A2 Covert with a 20 inch barrel. Can is a Thunderchicken.

The zipper gave up the ghost on my precision rifle rifle bag/shooting mat. What soft case do you all use? Preferably I’d like to be able to fit my rifle in the case with the can still on. Rifle is a A2 Covert with a 20 inch barrel. Can is a Thunderchicken.
Want a soft case/mat? Or solo soft case

Look up “How to repair a zipper” on YouTube.
It likely just needs some loving from some pliers….

Reactions: mountainman308
So.... Has anyone overpressurized a round so badly to pop the extractor off? I didn't realize it just kind of sits in the bore.
Also, springs for the ejector, where is everyone getting them from? I really don't want to wait 4 months for desert tech.

So.... Has anyone overpressurized a round so badly to pop the extractor off? I didn't realize it just kind of sits in the bore.
Also, springs for the ejector, where is everyone getting them from? I really don't want to wait 4 months for desert tech.
If you search around on possibly YouTube there’s a torture test video where they charged a 338lm with varget and then pistol powder and fired it off. Idk if the pistol powder got the extractor but varget didn’t.

I pulled my ejector springs, measured and found some on Amazon or McMaster carr that matched up. I think I had to trim them just a little. I also trimmed a hex key and dropped inside the spring as a hard stop so that the ejector pin couldn’t go below flush with the bolt face and crush the springs. My early 300wm bolt was bad about it.

If you search around on possibly YouTube there’s a torture test video where they charged a 338lm with varget and then pistol powder and fired it off. Idk if the pistol powder got the extractor but varget didn’t.

I pulled my ejector springs, measured and found some on Amazon or McMaster carr that matched up. I think I had to trim them just a little. I also trimmed a hex key and dropped inside the spring as a hard stop so that the ejector pin couldn’t go below flush with the bolt face and crush the springs. My early 300wm bolt was bad about it.
You're thinking of primal rights. He's a good dude. I made a dumb mistake and was just wondering if I need to send my bolt in. It'll probably be fine, I'm just being cautious.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_170117.jpg
    IMG_20211128_170117.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 66