• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

No, but I've had the factory 18" .338LM barrel for about 10 years. I know it's apples to oranges, but they're both magnum so here's my likes and dislikes:

Likes: short, compact, and still good to 1200m, bucks wind way better than 16" .308WIN
Dislikes: needs an efficient brake, most cans aren't rated for short magnums

And the thing with the original Covert barrels from DTA is that they are really fast twist because they were originally designed for shooting subsonic ammo.

1653686571364.png

Reactions: 232593
That's the way to go if you plan to use an SRS for hunting: short, lightweight barrel (and hopefully lightweight optic).

The blast from an 18" magnum isn't fun, especially for folks around you. For example, I shoot a bunch of .338LM Improved40 and .300NM out of long 30+ inch barrels and folks at my local range don't complain. But every time I take the 18" .338LM out, someone says something about the blast.

In your case, if you're just trying to maximize energy delivered on target at relatively close ranges out of a lightweight & compact setup, then yeah, the barrel you're considering is the way to go.

Reactions: Raven34
Have any of you guys shot the 18 inch 300 win mag. Likes and dislikes please.

18” 300 PRC 1/9

Haven’t shot it yet, just got it cut and took measurements to the lands but it’s definitely too fuckin late to go back to 24” now. Plenty of people getting 2850 with 22” and RL26 so I think 200-215 gr bullets and RL26 should get me hopefully to 2700+ that’s still some business out to 800 yards. Nomad LT pretty much going to live on it.

C9BA0B9D-2309-438A-B4AD-ECBCAAABE563.jpeg

2AD7C261-9EB3-46B9-86F2-367265061602.jpeg

18” 300 PRC 1/9

Haven’t shot it yet, just got it cut and took measurements to the lands but it’s definitely too fuckin late to go back to 24” now. Plenty of people getting 2850 with 22” and RL26 so I think 200-215 gr bullets and RL26 should get me hopefully to 2700+ that’s still some business out to 800 yards. Nomad LT pretty much going to live on it.

View attachment 7879012
View attachment 7879013
That is a nice looking barrel.

ES Tactical does great work and it's really easy to order custom barrels from him. Wait times for me over the past couple of years have been about six months. It's also great to just send him your burned-out SRS barrels and he'll remove the extension and use it on a new barrel.

Eric used to keep a bunch of popular blanks on hand, so turn around was much faster back in 2020. But now I think pretty much everything is made to order from K&P. For example, in the past I would get a common 1:8 6.5mm barrel long before the 1:9 36" .338LM Improved40 barrel I ordered at the same time would arrive. In that case, the extra length was a special order item. The same goes for unusual twist rates.

On a side note, he still has my .338LM Improved40 reamer so if you want a barrel cut with it, just order it and ask for that reamer in the notes. It's the only way to .338 these days, at least for me.

Reactions: Bradu
With todays ballistic apps you just program in the offsets. And write them on tape on side of stock just in case
Ok thank you. Once I get an ATIP load developed I will give that a go.

Would my other idea have worked with a quality mount and optic? Just curious.

Thank you again

Been looking at adding a shorter can for my Covert that still suppresses well. Leaning towards the TBAC Dominus. Any other suggestions? It’ll be dual purpose for my lighter hunting rifles as well so a 9” can isn’t in the cards.

Been looking at adding a shorter can for my Covert that still suppresses well. Leaning towards the TBAC Dominus. Any other suggestions? It’ll be dual purpose for my lighter hunting rifles as well so a 9” can isn’t in the cards.
Nomad TI

Have any of you guys shot the 18 inch 300 win mag. Likes and dislikes please.
Not a DT but yeah. A former friend built one just because its violently unpleasant so we could make night time fireballs. It's was great. Got 22" 308 velocities and a free flashbang with every trigger pull. With a gill brake it was unbelievably unpleasant, the blast slapped me in the face like an offended woman. A radial brake on it was less unpleasant but not a lot less, it just didn't feel like I'd just married Amber Turd.

Ok thank you. Once I get an ATIP load developed I will give that a go.

Would my other idea have worked with a quality mount and optic? Just curious.

Thank you again
It can. You need to qualify the mount by testing it. I got Larue LT111 because it's got a good reputation for repeatability and I wanted to be able to drop on a dedicated thermal now and again. So far it's been solidly returning to within 1 click of my zero when I pull it off and put it back on. You can't expect perfection there so expectation setting is important. Noting offsets is a better solution than multiple scopes. You can use it with any amount of offset.

Reactions: 232593
More load development...

The more i use this little thing, the more impressed i am.. :)

Berger 168 VLD at 200yds...

Attachments

• 20220529_144311.jpgwww.jpg
    20220529_144311.jpgwww.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220529_144322.jpgwww.jpg
    20220529_144322.jpgwww.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220529_150132.jpgwww.jpg
    20220529_150132.jpgwww.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220529_150303.jpgwww.jpg
    20220529_150303.jpgwww.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220529_150310.jpgwww.jpg
    20220529_150310.jpgwww.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: 232593 and Hondo1
So I noticed yesterday when I was shooting my 7 saum prone, I get alot of side to side wiggle when trying to shoot groups. Running an atlas with spiked feet. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

So I noticed yesterday when I was shooting my 7 saum prone, I get alot of side to side wiggle when trying to shoot groups. Running an atlas with spiked feet. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
wiggle as in from the recoil after the shot? is your bipod nice and secure?

wiggle as in from the recoil after the shot? is your bipod nice and secure?
Before the shot. The bipod hasn't come off. I'm wondering if the pic rail is loose. I really don't like the plastic rails. Any alternative?

There was a group buy a while ago. I believe it was primal rights that was producing them but don't hold me to that. But I'm pretty sure they were only a limited run. I would check the pic rail but also make sure everything on the bipod is secured.

I will. It's about .1-.15 of a mil wobble. I'll see if I can get a budy to machine a aluminum one too

I ditched the pic rail altogether and went arca rail from SPR and converted my atlas bipods with an RRS arca clamp.
Currently borrowing my dad's CAL that can't be changed. Probably pick up a cal v2 or whatever for it and get the rrs clamp I have on my psr

What are guys doing with their shot out barrels? Been contemplating a project that would require I find someone with a shot out barrel that’d sell it off cheap.

What are guys doing with their shot out barrels? Been contemplating a project that would require I find someone with a shot out barrel that’d sell it off cheap.
With mildly overbore cases when I burn one up I will typically have it set back and a bit lopped off the muzzle end as well then have it rechambered. That's typically good for at least 1 shorten and chamber cycle. With severely overbore stuff I'll usually just pitch it, too much alligator skin.

With mildly overbore cases when I burn one up I will typically have it set back and a bit lopped off the muzzle end as well then have it rechambered. That's typically good for at least 1 shorten and chamber cycle. With severely overbore stuff I'll usually just pitch it, too much alligator skin.
Reach out if you ever come across one to pitch. I’m not itching to start the project ASAP as I have other coals in the fire but down the road I may fork over some money for something shot out.