• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

or just buy a 260 barrel considering they are almost exactly the same ballisticly

Nah, you can have both handguard lengths with a conversion kit. You just need a vise to mount the receiver in when swapping the handguards. The first time you do it takes quite a bit of elbow grease, but after that it's much easier. On the top rail where it meets the handguard is a bolt that has to be unscrewed and a key removed - from there the handguards can be screwed on/off.

It's definitely not something you do in the field, but it does allow for a single chassis to be exceptionally versatile, going from say a 26" to an 18" .338LM barrel.

Somebody HELP!!!!

I really want a Covert chassis...to go along with my SRS.

Is there a good argument to have more than one chassis??

I know about the handguard swap-olla, but to me, having a separate chassis would be too cool.

Somebody tell me I'm overthinking this or just make the call and fork over another $2736...

Thanks!

I would highly suggest trying the handguard conversion and if it's too much of a pain, then fork over the money for an extra chassis. It's really up to how much adjusting you can live with. Theoretically you could have two different optics on quick-release mounts that swap between full length and Covert setups, if you're worried about being stuck with only one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would highly suggest trying the handguard conversion and if it's too much of a pain, then fork over the money for an extra chassis. It's really up to how much adjusting you can live with. Theoretically you could have two different optics on quick-release mounts that swap between full length and Covert setups, if you're worried about being stuck with only one. </div></div>

I think that is good advice.

Anyone know the thread/size of the bolt that holds the round foot onto the bottom of the SRS monopod?

I lost the foot and the bolt during a match and am trying to figure out options that are equivalent or better...

I would call DTA and ask them. Let them know what happened and I am sure that they will help you out.

Huge thanks to Mike @ DTA for letting me get behind a Covert today out at Sniper Country's range. What an amazing piece of kit that thing is. So much potential for that property as well. Can't wait to get out there again.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

I had the pleasant experience today of going to dta and having them help me out with a few things on my srs. I have to tell everyone that the new hti's are absolutely awesome. After hulking around a barrett 99, these rifles make me want to find the closest dumpster (aka local gun ads) and buy one of the hti's right now. I couldn't believe that I would be able to shoulder a rifle in these calibers fairly comfortably. Smooth bolt, perfect trigger, and a few nice changes from the first srs designs. Forearm is large due to the barrel sizes, but no big deal. This thing is awesome. Thanks to Kent, Ben, and Ethan. These guys go above and beyond, period. I purchased their suppressor for the same reasons. It's great to be able to trust a company to deliver a first class product. BTW, sounds like they will be shipping fairly soon.

Put the first rounds through my own today, couldn't be happier with it!
BC2C3BDF.jpg

Mines the short one
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the first rounds through my own today, couldn't be happier with it!
BC2C3BDF.jpg

Mines the short one
wink.gif
</div></div>

What a bad ass sinister looking pair of rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broke_again,
My wife just asked "where are they shooting at, it looks like Mars". LOL it was funny.

I hope you enjoy the creedmores, now post some targets cuz I'm sure they shot really great on mars.

</div></div>

These guns are definitely more capable than we are. They will shoot sub 1/2 moa when we do our part.

We have gotten away from shooting groups in favor of more tactical targets and it shows in our groups.

This is a three round group I shoot during load development. 41.9grs 4350 @ 2.82 COAL.

001-7.jpg

3 round group that SDSURFER shot

006-4.jpg

5 round group that I shot from a bench

003-8.jpg

5 round group that I shot while Chronoing. I shot it at 5x magnification and was more worried about not shooting the Chrono as it wasn't mine.

007-5.jpg

These DTAs are great! The more I get comfortable I get with it the more I love it.

What is the tripod and where can I get one? That is awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntermanpaul</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the tripod and where can I get one? That is awesome! </div></div>

Are you talking about the monopod on the rifle and the bipod attached to the rail???
There are a number of bipods available from various sources which will attach to the rail. The monopod is offered by Desert tactical for the rifles and requires some receiver and skin mods. Its done at the factory at extra cost.

Hope thats the answer to the right question.

Frank

I've bee. Looking at the DTA and have a question about how well you can adjust the cheek weld.

My AX chassis is very customizablewoth the cheek weld and LOP, and that has helped my accuracy quite a bit.

But the DTA chassis looks like a pretty flat piece for your cheek weld. Much like the Barrett bolt action .50 that I've fired on several occasions (both the bullpup design), and I thought it was a hassle.

Are there configurable options for some kind of cheek riser? Would hate to drop so much on such an awesome system and have to rig up a DIY solution.

The DTA SRS and Covert do not have an adjustable cheek riser. Using my SRS, I have not felt a need for it.

did you guys get yours from the factory or is there another spot to buy one in utah

I've never felt a need for adjusting the cheekpiece on my SRS. I've only got one scope that I use on it....Nightforce 5.5-22 X 56 and the DTA 30moa mount. Its well adjusted for me so no need to fiddle. On the other hand there was someone making a fabric wraparound type cheekpiece for those who think it needs it.

Frank

Sandwalk3r, one option would be a buttstock cover with cheekpad as sold by Brian @ Tactical Textile. He is not a Hide sponsor, so you'll need to visit his website or contact him directly. I recently received one each of the two different style buttstock pads he makes, one with cheek riser and one without. The cheekriser version can be made taller by addition of extra velcro spacers. Here are some pics of my Covert wearing the two covers:

Covertw18Barrel.jpg

Covers.jpg

These are extremely well-made covers and really make a difference in the comfort level when shooting for several hours.

Anks for the feedback. Especially the pic with the buttstock cover.

I like the LaRue QDs, though I don't actually know how it would match up on a natural cheek weld on the DTA rifle.

Again, the only thing I have to compare it with is time behind a Barrett Model 99 .50 BMG. My cheek prone didn't align as well as I can when I tweak my AX chassis specifically to my setup.

I need to find somewhere I can go to try out. Love the idea of the platform, but I ultimately want a rifle that fits me well.

Thanks again for the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">!
BC2C3BDF.jpg

Mines the short one
wink.gif
</div></div>

SS 5-20 and a YHM Phantom?

Very nice. If you get a chance to run an Atlas bipod, I recommend it. They are pricey but worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTA does not have an adjustable cheek riser. Using mine, I have not felt a need for it. </div></div>
Agreed!

Yeah, that's just one of those things it seems - on the SRS there isn't much of a need for a cheekpiece. On the other hand, they did add one to the HTI eventually. I suspect we'll see some things that came out of the HTI development find their way into the Gen 3 SRS.

Is anyone using the SRS or Covert for long range, big-game hunting?

What is the "hunter" model i hear of? I can't find mention of it on the DTA website.

Thanks!

Reading this make my head hurt! How does NYC get away with over-ruling the second amendment?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mickg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remember there is a 5-round limit for magazines in NON-semiauto rifles - this is what disqualifies some lever-actions. I do not remember how big the DTA mags are, but for NYC they have to be 5 or less rounds...</div></div>
Current DTA magazines have 5 rounds. <span style="font-style: italic">There's a rumor that DTA is working on 10-round magazines, but they aren't here yet.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the attorney general will respond: "Go to the long rifle/shotgun licensing body in Queens.</div></div>
Are you saying that in NYC one has to get a separate <span style="text-decoration: underline">license</span> for each long gun he purchases? Not just something like "Firearm Owner ID Card" that you get once, and which entitles you to purchasing long guns that aren't on the "black list" of your state's Junta? <span style="font-style: italic">I can only say that I'm immensely happy to live outside of Bloomberg's "workers' paradise". <no smile></span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idaho1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone using the SRS or Covert for long range, big-game hunting?

What is the "hunter" model i hear of? I can't find mention of it on the DTA website.

Thanks! </div></div>

I don't think the hunter is in production at this time. One of my good friends hunts long range with his covert. He purchased a Covert Chassis with the 16" barrel for shorter range hunts and then purchased a 26" .338 LM for longer range hunts.

I have used mine for elk hunting where may sit and watch and not hike a lot. I remember SR90 and crew used them in Alaska for black bear. Seems I remember they shot them in excess of 700 yards.

I think a Covert w/ 18" .338 LM barrel, would be a pretty slick bear hunting rig.

The DTA website says that their scope rings set (link) is optimized for proper cheek weld. Anyone know the height of this setup?

I would rather run a LaRue QD mount like their 20MOA LT112 QD model (link). Its height is 1.535".

Has anyone run the LaRue QD mount on their DTA SRS or have relevant data regarding the variation between the heights of the two different ring sets?

I have a LT104 SPR-1.5 mount on my 30mm vortex tube and get 2.5" over bore centerline w/the setup on my R700. The mount is 1.5" height.

I am leaning more heavily towards the DTA route to my next rifle but just want to make sure I don't screw up anything in the process. I think I'm seeing the light of one platform = 39048753498547 different rifles
cool.gif

Thanks!

Edit: And in "doing it right the first time" I want to make sure that if I'm ever able to afford a clip-on that the optics will all align. If any red flags pop up for anyone with the proposed setup, please let me know
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The DTA website says that their scope rings set (link) is optimized for proper cheek weld. Anyone know the height of this setup?
</div></div>

Look in the middle of the FAQ questions: DTA FAQ
Direct quote from DTA:
* What is the height from the cheek weld to the center of the scope?
DT SRS 1.52"
* What is the scope height above the bore?
DT SRS 2.63"

I have no problem with the cheek weld using DTA rings. I know 3 others with DTA's here in my town that would tell you the same thing.

What do you guys suggest for my DTA SRS, a Harris bipod with the ADM QD mount attached or the accu-shot Atlas with the ADM QD mount? One is significantly more expensive than the other.

I am using a LaRue LT-158 QD mount with an NF 5.5-22x50 MLR on my Covert. This base has 10 MOA cant and is 1.44" high. The height is just about perfect for me but as always, YMMV. You can see the approximate height it sits in the buttstock covers pics a couple posts above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys suggest for my DTA SRS, a Harris bipod with the ADM QD mount attached or the accu-shot Atlas with the ADM QD mount? One is significantly more expensive than the other. </div></div>

I have both and prefer to run the Atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using a LaRue LT-158 QD mount with an NF 5.5-22x50 MLR on my Covert. This base has 10 MOA cant and is 1.44" high. The height is just about perfect for me but as always, YMMV. You can see the approximate height it sits in the buttstock covers pics a couple posts above. </div></div>

Thanks for the input!

I may enter into the Gunbroker phase of offloading a crap-ton of stuff to start making room in the bank for this and a nice piece of glass!

I am loving my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor! I took 4th place in the Las Vegas match today. The match brought out 27 shooters from AZ, NV, and UT. The DTA really shined in the positional stages!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am loving my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor! I took 4th place in the Las Vegas match today. The match brought out 27 shooters from AZ, NV, and UT. The DTA really shined in the positional stages! </div></div>

Pics of the match?

Jeeprider,
I prefer the Harris bipod, simple and it works, I think it is much faster and easier to use than the Atlas in stressful shooting situations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am loving my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor! I took 4th place in the Las Vegas match today. The match brought out 27 shooters from AZ, NV, and UT. The DTA really shined in the positional stages!</div></div>

I wish enough of us could convince Nick to do a factory 6.5 Creedmoor barrel!

Buy the 260 it's the same fucking thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the 260 it's the same fucking thing</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the 260 it's the same fucking thing</div></div>

Not if you reload for the Creedmoor but not the 260?!

True but that's why they don't have the 6.5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am loving my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor! I took 4th place in the Las Vegas match today. The match brought out 27 shooters from AZ, NV, and UT. The DTA really shined in the positional stages!</div></div>

I wish enough of us could convince Nick to do a factory 6.5 Creedmoor barrel! </div></div>

Mine is factory
wink.gif
...........well kinda. But it sure is a shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am loving my DTA in 6.5 Creedmoor! I took 4th place in the Las Vegas match today. The match brought out 27 shooters from AZ, NV, and UT. The DTA really shined in the positional stages! </div></div>

Pics of the match? </div></div>

As assistant match director and a competitior I barely had time to take a leak never mind snap pics. This is what I've got...

004-8.jpg

I don't think that's a DTA barrel - all it takes to spin your own barrel for an SRS is a barrel extension from DTA, barrel blank of your choice, and a smith who can spin it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think that's a DTA barrel - all it takes to spin your own barrel for an SRS is a barrel extension from DTA, barrel blank of your choice, and a smith who can spin it up.</div></div>

True, but the barrel blank must be to DTA's contour on the first section where it locks into the chassis.

Benchmark barrels made mine. I chose 6.5 cal 1-8" blank with medium palma contour (past the critical DTA section). They charged $330 shipped. Fluting can be had for extra, but I think Campfield is the only shop that can do spiral flutes due to their patent.

Amazingly accurate barrel!

Also, I believe DTA will ream a 6.5x47 into 6.5 CM. I dunno if they charge extra for this. This is the way that Broke Down and company went, and the results are very good as you can see from his posts above.

My understanding is that DTA won't ream a 6.5x47 barrel for someone, generally speaking. However, I have heard they might if we got a group buy together where they could run enough of them to make it worthwhile. I won't guarantee that, but I believe they may have done that in the past.

On the other hand I have heard Jon Beanland has done just that, reamed DTA 6.5x47 barrels to 6.5 Creedmoor. That's a viable option if so, just not as economical as getting a 6.5CM barrel straight from DTA.