• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Any movement of the bushing should not happen if it does it needs to be replaced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do u need a dust cover on a bolt gun? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bob,
No </div></div>

Thank you for your answer.

I wish i would upgrade the SRS(when i will receive it..hopefully in a few weeks)with this cover because i will hunt with it in an area where there is a lot of mud during the winter and dust during the summer;
And if i had this cover i will not ask me if the bolt will work fine when it is very dirty!

7mm in DTA

When my 6.5 Lapua conversion wears out I want to rebarrel it to one of the 7mm calibers.

What are my options as far as calibers in 7mm, that will work in the DTA mags with reliable feeding.

I know a few of you guys (coldboremiracle) have the 7wsm and the 7saum. Is there a reason you didn't use the 7mm rem mag?

Your Thoughts......

I see no reason why the 7mag wouldnt work great in the platform, DTA makes their 7wsm barrels, my saum is a custom SAC barrel. I chose the saum for the efficiency and economy, as well as a positive outlook on barrel life. But the good old 7rem mag seems like a good choice as well.

Out of the 7wsm, 7saum, and the 7mm rem mag is there any difference in barrel life. The only thing I can find advantagous is the longer neck on the 7saum, might cause less throat erosion.

Does the 7mm rem mag fit in the 300 win mag DTA magazine?

I'd compare powder charge ( if that's important to you ) and brass availability when making your choice.

The larger case of the 7rem and the 7wsm to a lesser degree give plenty of room for large throat burning charges of powder, I like a full case for accurracy and efficiency. The brass situation is a good subject as well, I chose the saum because brass is made by remington, norma, and I believe nosler. I have used only remington so far and have zero complaints.
As far as magazine compatability, they all will feed from the magnum mag, the saum is probably at the bottom of that list. Needing some alteration to cycle 100%.

I picked up my new SRS yesterday and took some pictures, read the manual, mounted an IOR 6-24x56 on top of some 1/2" risers for an AR-15. Cleaned the bore,(not sure how many rounds go through it before it goes out the door, but i would have imagined they would clean them) lubed the bolt, checked everything that I could see and sighted it in w/ 300gr Matchkings. Went to 360 yds with the matchkings and 300 gr VLD'S. Then went to 615 yds and shot a few more of each. An all around pleasant evening so I did it again this morning only started a 615 and went in after that. Gun shoots great but I ran out of elevation before making it to the next spot at 1035 yds. Need more tackle for that. Going to look for some 30-40 moa mounts next,maybe Larue not sure yet. I have 20 moa EGW bases on several other guns but since this is a .338 lm probably should go big so I dont have to buy twice. Anyway so far so good.

What do you want to hear? They're pretty awesome rifles. I love that whenever I get a desire to try a new caliber I just add a new barrel.

Ya, 52 pages of thoughts. Mostly relevant and positive. Shot mine for the first time today and I haven't missed the money yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reximus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking about getting one of these for my next rifle... They're pricey for my budget, but I can squeeze it - thoughts? </div></div>

Rex, you should have said something at the match last weekend. We'd of let you try it.

New to thread, bought my DTA SRS .338 lapua a month ago. Just bought the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50. Is anyone using this scope, and if so, what rings/riser solution are you applying? Thanks from Montana!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up my new SRS yesterday...Going to look for some 30-40 moa mounts next,maybe Larue not sure yet.... </div></div>

Spuhr makes 6mil/20.6moa and 13mil/41.4moa mounts. They come with a wedge feeler gauge and so, together with the internal level, precision mounting is a snap. Thoughtful accessories, like the ASI mount, are available:

http://spuhr.com/scopemount%20features.pdf

Spuhr%20TRG%20Mount%20D34%207MIL%20H44.jpg

Spuhr-Mounts-440x289.jpg

Been quietly watching from the sidelines for a while now. Sold my Blaser LRS a while back and went looking for a more compact package, the DTA SRS really fit the bill.

11291.jpg

Finally got the optics mounted and headed out to the range with a box of FGMM 168's. After a quick sight-in I shot this 5 round group at 100 yd.

11292.jpg

I am very impressed with this rifle. If anyone out there is on the fence on buying one go for it, it can shoot. Now I got to get out to Sac Valley and see if I can shoot as well.

I got the emails today with FedEx tracking numbers for my new DTA SRS and Spuhr mount for my S&B! Words can NOT express how excited I am!

I'm thinking of building an SRS chambered for a 6 Creedmoor.

Can anyone tell me if I were to order a barrel, what barrel profile would be the closest to the factory profile?

I am currently running the 6XC on the DTA and it works great. 6 creedmoor should do the same.

From personal experience, Benchmark and Bartlein already have the print of the DTA barrel contour. Just call them up and tell them you want the "DTA" contour. It's as simple as that.

What can you tell me about Benchmark barrels? Bartlein needs no introduction but their waiting list for a barrel is nuts.

I want to get this thing up and running ASAP.

Benchmark makes rimfire barrels right?

Lofty - I am used to long Bartlein waits. I had Short Action do my 7mm barrel, and to my surprise he had a 7mm Bartlein DTA blank in the twist I was wanting in stock. Unless you had another smith in mind, you might want to call Mark and see how quick he can turn what you are wanting around. I think I had mine within three weeks with him supplying the blank, brake, and barrel extension.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lofty - I am used to long Bartlein waits. I had Short Action do my 7mm barrel, and to my surprise he had a 7mm Bartlein DTA blank in the twist I was wanting in stock. Unless you had another smith in mind, you might want to call Mark and see how quick he can turn what you are wanting around. I think I had mine within three weeks with him supplying the blank, brake, and barrel extension. </div></div>

+1, Mark keeps barrels in stock. Good twist's too.

Yeah, I got a quote from Mark.

$1400.

I can get a barrel extension for $250, a quality barrel for $300 and my smith will spin it up for $300 with threading and timing my brake included.

A $550 savings buys me a lot of brass and bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get a barrel extension for $250 </div></div> Where is that from?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I can get a barrel extension for $250 </div></div> Where is that from? </div></div>

From DTAs website.

Sorry, $269 dollars.

http://www.deserttacticalarms.com/replacement-parts/srs-barrel-extension.html

For the uninitiated, who is Mark? Does he work for a company named "Short Action"? Any contact info?

Would he be the fellow to call if I wanted a 6.5x47L barrel in a faster twist than offered by the factory?

yes short action customs, google is your friend.

It's been a few months since I visited the thread - in that time, I've received my DTA SRS w/6.5x47 conversion kit, shot it in one precision rifle match, and finished a 284 bbl on a 5R Bartlein DTA blank, and shot one match with that set-up. Awesome rifle, especially with the 284 bbl.

I'd gotten a solid 100yd zero for the 284 last week, then yesterday decided I had time to take the rifle apart to FDE CeraKote the 284 bbl & receiver (I'd balked at paying the extra $200 to have DTA CeraKote it) and the two magazine bodies I'd converted for the 284. Pulled the bbl., took the skins off the receiver, pulled the trigger assembly & scope base, got the whole thing coated, then put it all back together this morning after getting the parts out of the oven.

Conditions were about as close to perfect as possible this morning, so I took the SRS & the three 284 loads I've been shooting down to my 1000yd range, set up at 100, and checked zero again. I know these things are supposed to be pretty repeatable, but this was after complete disassembly, not just changing bbls. The POI was dead-nuts on, and with both H4831 loads using H162 AMaxes & Berger 180 Hybrids.

Moved on back to 600, entered atmospherics & velocities I'd just obtained from a CED M2, ran the data on Shooter & Applied Ballistics, put on the suggested 600yd come-ups, and fired quicky 3-shot groups with 162 AMax, JLK 168 VLD, & 180 Hybrid - all three were on for wind (probably because there wasn't any), and just a little high - .25 -.50 MOA.

Packed everything back up and moved back to 1000, running the numbers again on both programs, and fired four each of the JLK 168s & 180 Hybrids. Got four solid hits with each load, finishing with only 1/4 MOA of wind on the scope.

I gotta tell you, I like this rifle more each time I shoot it. And I'm not unhappy with Shooter & Applied Ballistics, either. At first, with the 6.5x47 bbl, I had trouble finding a good, accurate load, and was wondering what I'd spent all the $$$ for. But eventually, I found a combination with IMR4007SSC & Lapua 123s that hammers. When the Bartlien 5R came in, I had to jump right on that project, and it's been a shooter from the get-go. The SAC contour is considerably heavier than the OEM fluted bbls from DTA, but that's OK for a ctdg with the 284's recoil. I installed a TBAC brake/adaptor for the 30BA can that I got to fondle & drool over at my SOT's place the other day - the brake makes the rifle extremely comfortable to shoot off the bench or prone, so I can hardly wait to get the form 4 back & 30 BA mounted. Hard to imagine liking this rig any more than I already do, but if anything is capable of doing that, it'll be the TBAC can.

I finally got a chance to shoot the new 6.5 Creedmoor barrel today. Tried 140 Amax and 120 Amax Hornady factory ammo. I also got to use the new MagnetoSpeed chronograph. All the shooting was prone from the mat, using an Atlas bipod and a rear shooting bag.

the 140's shot a .740 5 shot group st 100 yards with velocities running between 2754 and 2774, SD of 9.

The 120's shot a .610 5 shot group with velocities of 2948 - 2970 (sd of 9) I shot three initial shots just to warm up the barrel.

Very happy for first shots. I will clean the barrel and do a few more 15 shot sessions over the next week to get things settled in. I also love the MagnetoSpeed. The range had a lot of shooters today and not having a chrono down range was super convenient. I wish there was an easy way to connect it to the 308 barrel. It just doesn't stick out enough to attach the sensor. I have a few things I am going to try that will let me attach it via the rail.

Steve

I jumped one the DTA bandwagon and mine should be in at my FFL's shop next month. Going with 338LM. This will be my first 338 and I can't wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can you tell me about Benchmark barrels? Bartlein needs no introduction but their waiting list for a barrel is nuts.

I want to get this thing up and running ASAP.

Benchmark makes rimfire barrels right? </div></div>

When I ordered the 6mm DTA contour barrel from Benchmark, the wait time was 8wks. I wanted 1/7.5 twist, but they only had 1/7.75 twist. Accuracy-wise it stacked up with all the other barrel makers out there.

Mark at SAC does great work. But I agree with you that if you want to get it quicker and cheaper, go with a good local gunsmith to chamber it.

The barrel looks similar to a medium Palma........I'm not totally concerned with having the exact same contour as the DTA. Just so long as there's no clearance issues.

Anyone know what their barrels are close to? I cant wait 8 weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes short action customs, google is your friend. </div></div>

With friends like Google...
Google: The Perfect Compliment to Big Brother
FCC: Google Staff Knew Street View Cars Were Stealing Private Data
Activist Post: Google's New Search Tool to Use CIA and World Bank for 'Facts'
"et cetera, et cetera, et cetera" [Yul Brynner accent]

but thank you. I did find Short Action Customs using Ixquick :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scandall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to thread, bought my DTA SRS .338 lapua a month ago. Just bought the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50. Is anyone using this scope, and if so, what rings/riser solution are you applying? Thanks from Montana!</div></div>
Vortex Razor HD is a great scope, and SRS is a great rifle. They work well together.
grin.gif

I was lucky enough to get both when DTA was offering 40 MOA mount for scopes with a 35mm tube. I'd say that for this rifle, and especially for the caliber you selected, the mount/base must be 30- to 40-MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that an aftermarket bolt handle?</div></div>
Nukes, this is the original DTA bolt handle. Later on they switched to round ball. I must say I like the new one (round ball) better, but both work fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did DTA ever comment on what prompted the bolt handle change?</div></div>

The round bolt handle doesn't slip out of your hand as easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did DTA ever comment on what prompted the bolt handle change? </div></div>All the best rifles use a ball for a bolt knob
grin.gif

The change on the bolt knob is because the original cone shaped one was harder to hang onto and hand slipping was a problem. The ball knob is way easier to operate and hang on to. Very big difference in operation of the bolt.

Hey Nick, I am looking into building a 6 Creedmoor off one of your SRS chassis.

I know guys like Mark at SAC do custom barrels for your gun but this is kind of a new caliber. I just ordered a reamer today that had in stock from PTG.

My problem is a barrel. I called Benchmark today but they are 4-6 weeks out minimum. I was kinda hopping to find a barrel blank in stock.

Problem is I am trying to find out what contour will work. Based on the drawings I've seen for the barrel, it looks just like a medium Palma but the "B" section on the drawing is 2.5 inches on a Palma and something like four inches on your contour. Is the length of that shank area the only difference.

Would you know someone that might have a 6 mm blank in your contour in stock?

I've got a training day and a match in Oct and I would love to have the rifle in time to work up a load and get some dope.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm excited about finally getting one of your rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The change on the bolt knob is because the original cone shaped one was harder to hang onto and hand slipping was a problem. The ball knob is way easier to operate and hang on to. Very big difference in operation of the bolt. </div></div>

I had the original bolt knob, and an experienced instructor at a class I was taking was noting that something was 'wierd' about my cycling the bolt. Turns out, hanging onto and running the bolt with the original teardrop bolt knob caused veins to pop out on my head and other wierd stress. I ordered a round knob through my DTA dealer and noticed an immediate zen like relaxation. Worked for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The change on the bolt knob is because the original cone shaped one was harder to hang onto and hand slipping was a problem. The ball knob is way easier to operate and hang on to. Very big difference in operation of the bolt. </div></div>

I had the original bolt knob, and an experienced instructor at a class I was taking was noting that something was 'wierd' about my cycling the bolt. Turns out, hanging onto and running the bolt with the original teardrop bolt knob caused veins to pop out on my head and other wierd stress. I ordered a round knob through my DTA dealer and noticed an immediate zen like relaxation. Worked for me.

</div></div>

I have a gen1. So where do I get mine? I just checked the DTA website without any luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skkeeter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The change on the bolt knob is because the original cone shaped one was harder to hang onto and hand slipping was a problem. The ball knob is way easier to operate and hang on to. Very big difference in operation of the bolt. </div></div>

</div></div>

I have a gen1. So where do I get mine? I just checked the DTA website without any luck. </div></div>

Just called DTA $15 for the new round bolt knob, I'll be getting one next week

Well this was my answer to the bolt knob problem,even with the new style I found it somewhat lacking in both style and function. I think these look great and mine functions flawlessly. Got it through [email protected]
photo.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well this was my answer to the bolt knob problem,even with the new style I found it somewhat lacking in both style and function. I think these look great and mine functions flawlessly. Got it through [email protected]
photo.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

sully </div></div>

THAT appears to be a very functional piece of kit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The change on the bolt knob is because the original cone shaped one was harder to hang onto and hand slipping was a problem. The ball knob is way easier to operate and hang on to. Very big difference in operation of the bolt. </div></div>

</div></div>

Dang... whoodda thunk that my new gun comes with esthetics, metaphysics, <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> shoots 0.22moa too? No buyer's remorse here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well this was my answer to the bolt knob problem,even with the new style I found it somewhat lacking in both style and function. I think these look great and mine functions flawlessly. Got it through [email protected]

DSC00650.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks a million. Email is waiting for Zach's attention.

I saw on DTA facebook page an article about an HTI review made by "special weapon magazine";
Does someone know where i could buy it online please?

I got my DTA and Spuhr mount in yesterday. I asked Randy at Mile High which mount to go with my S&B 5-25x56 and he suggested the SP-4802. He was dead on! The bell to the top rail is so close that I will have to shave a bit off of the B&C cap or take off/put on as needed rather than flip-up/down. You can get the caps to fit, it is just then touching the rail which I'm not a fan of.

I'll try to get pictures up in a bit.