• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Does anyone know if the LaRue QD mounts are available in the same height as the DTA mounts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if the LaRue QD mounts are available in the same height as the DTA mounts? </div></div>

The best mount out there for the DTA is the DTA mount, in my opinion. I've tried every mount out there, and personally, I've found none that was the correct height. But after all, I do have a fat head. If you don't like the DTA mount the next closest one to the DTA mount, was Sphur.

If your head is small, then you may be able to make due, but if it's a fat one, trust me go with the DTA mount.

So sure the specs are known about overall length, but it's fun to see pics!

Here's a DTA SRS Covert with .338 can next to a Noveske 10.5" N4 (Switchblock!!) w/M4-2000 can and a collapsed stock. Crazy how close they are together.

SRS-Noveske.jpg

SRS-Noveske-2.jpg

You should be able to see where the bolt/carrier are two pieces with the new design.
prone-2.jpg

Just enjoying myself.
prone-1.jpg

It really is that simple, there are multiple videos on you tube that show impact shift after removing the barell and putting it back in. I have 3 different conv kits, all of them I have zeroed, by that I mean I have one zero set for my .243 and from there I have my impact shift for the other barells, All I need to do is drop a barrel in, Move to my documented zero for that barell and go.
Same here, I was a die hard long gun until I started shooting the SRS, now its so bad that all my other guns are collecting dust. I'm taking it to wyoming next week to hunt mulies, I will be shooting the 7mm WSM with DTM ammo that Russ worked up for me. I'm willing to sacrifice the weight for the confidence in the accuracy of these rifles.
I have witnessed 1400 yard hits with the .338 covert, The covert does take a little more shooter savy, its not as forgiving as the 26". In my opinion if I was consistenly shooting over 1K I would not go with a covert. I like the 26" alot better, I do know a little about this system, I worked at DTA for 18 months as their production manager and one of their test shooters. This system rocks. I dont think you would be dissapointed either way. Its a preference thing at this point. Coldbore Miracle is on here quite a bit, he is a covert nut case, If you have more detailed questions he would be a good resource, as well as the guys ata DTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enfieldp17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really is that simple, there are multiple videos on you tube that show impact shift after removing the barell and putting it back in. I have 3 different conv kits, all of them I have zeroed, by that I mean I have one zero set for my .243 and from there I have my impact shift for the other barells, All I need to do is drop a barrel in, Move to my documented zero for that barell and go.
Same here, I was a die hard long gun until I started shooting the SRS, now its so bad that all my other guns are collecting dust. I'm taking it to wyoming next week to hunt mulies, I will be shooting the 7mm WSM with DTM ammo that Russ worked up for me. I'm willing to sacrifice the weight for the confidence in the accuracy of these rifles.
I have witnessed 1400 yard hits with the .338 covert, The covert does take a little more shooter savy, its not as forgiving as the 26". In my opinion if I was consistenly shooting over 1K I would not go with a covert. I like the 26" alot better, I do know a little about this system, I worked at DTA for 18 months as their production manager and one of their test shooters. This system rocks. I dont think you would be dissapointed either way. Its a preference thing at this point. Coldbore Miracle is on here quite a bit, he is a covert nut case, If you have more detailed questions he would be a good resource, as well as the guys ata DTA.

</div></div>

Thanks for the info. I think even if I decide to go Covert, I will probably get the 26" 338 barrel for it. That way, while disassembled, I'll still have the compact 26" chassis, and I'll have the extra velocity and accuracy that comes along with the 26" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enfieldp17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really is that simple, there are multiple videos on you tube that show impact shift after removing the barell and putting it back in. I have 3 different conv kits, all of them I have zeroed, by that I mean I have one zero set for my .243 and from there I have my impact shift for the other barells, All I need to do is drop a barrel in, Move to my documented zero for that barell and go.

</div></div>

Seriously...listen to this guy!! He KNOWS DTAs.

Thanks for the info, enfieldp17!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Seriously...listen to this guy!! He KNOWS DTAs.

Thanks for the info, enfieldp17! </div></div>

+1,000!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any plans on a lefty version chassis? </div></div>
This question gets asked quite often, I believe the last time it was answered it was still a no.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So sure the specs are known about overall length, but it's fun to see pics!

Here's a DTA SRS Covert with .338 can next to a Noveske 10.5" N4 (Switchblock!!) w/M4-2000 can and a collapsed stock. Crazy how close they are together.

SRS-Noveske.jpg

SRS-Noveske-2.jpg

You should be able to see where the bolt/carrier are two pieces with the new design.
prone-2.jpg

Just enjoying myself.
prone-1.jpg
</div></div>

What event was this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Extreme454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? It's that simple? I mean, sorry to be a Lil skeptical. :)

I'm probably gonna order up a complete system from you guys, might also add a 7wsm to it. I guess hearing it from you, is the best source.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gary </div></div>

Gary, it's been good talking to you and messaging you. Just to reiterate what we have talked about and to help anyone else out that is on the fence or questioning the system and the way it works.....

For my work rifles, lucky me! I have an HTI with a .50 BMG barrel and 2 .375 barrels. I have a 500 yard zero on each barrel. It doesn't matter which barrel I put in, I adjust my Vortex Razor to account for the zero shift and it hits every time. That simple.

Second work rifle is the Gen 2 SRS. I literally have every caliber offered by DTA from the 22" 308 to both the .338 Norma and Lapua in 26". I seriously have a zero on every barrel with that one chassis and NighForce NXS. I put a 260 barrel in and dial. 338 Lapua and adjust zero, 243 dial and hit. It's definitely that simple.

3rd work rifle is the Gen 2 Covert. I have all the production barrels for that as well. Not only do I have the zero's for that, I have Zeros for almost all my SRS barrels.

I've done this obviously for work demands, but when I started working for Nick I sounded like most people looking at these systems. No way can this retain zero through all these barrel changes.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that my work SRS might have the most barrel changes of any out there. While doing load development I will swap out barrels as they warm up to keep a cool barrel in the gun. On a "good" week I may shoot 4-5 days a week and run 4-5 calibers. that can sometimes equate to 20 changes a day.

On top of that, My personal SRS, yes, I had to have one of my own, I wasn't happy just having my Demo rifles, has never lost zero. I use it in the tactical matches and I assure you any shortcomings in performance are def mine. I have several calibers for that as well and have extreme confidence in the return to zero capabilities.

Last is a Gen 1 chassis that I turned into a covert for hunting. Using a 26" 7WSM for hunting and storing it with the 16" 308. I carry it exactly how you are talking. 26" barrel goes into the sleeve on the bag. I took the gun out on the morning of the hunt and installed the barrel. several hours of chasing the Antelope with a 30-35 degree temp change and I made a one shot kill at 528 yards. Weapon system performed flawlessly. I have shot a lot of animals with DTA's. They have always held zero. Cold Bore 590 yard head shot on a cow elk with 338 Lapua. I have gotten so used to the fact that the zero is there, I don't even think about it anymore. Dope it Dial it and dump it, be it paper steel or flesh.

We have some of our great Service men running the system and loving it. They generally only use 308 300 and 338, but I know one for sure that has been getting all the calibers, he loves it that much.

Hopefully this has helped you with a decision and as we messaged, I will give you a call this morning when I get to the office.

Russ W.
Desert Tactical Munitions

</div></div>

Just a heads up, Kent was shooting 1/2 MOA groups out to 1000 yards with his brand new barrel in 7 WSM. The load he is using for the hunt is our production recipe using the Berger 168 Hunter. We have fired that round out to 1600 with amazing results.

Something about that 7WSM really has me excited. The extreme precision is crazy and it's very forgiving. Sonic capability beyond 1600 yards and over 1000 ft lbs of energy to 1200. All at UT elevations of course.

I don't get too excited over a round very often, the 7WSM has me going though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enfieldp17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It really is that simple, there are multiple videos on you tube that show impact shift after removing the barell and putting it back in. I have 3 different conv kits, all of them I have zeroed, by that I mean I have one zero set for my .243 and from there I have my impact shift for the other barells, All I need to do is drop a barrel in, Move to my documented zero for that barell and go.

</div></div>

Just a heads up, Kent was shooting 1/2 MOA groups out to 1000 yards with his brand new barrel in 7 WSM. The load he is using for the hunt is our production recipe using the Berger 168 Hunter. We have fired that round out to 1600 with amazing results.

Something about that 7WSM really has me excited. The extreme precision is crazy and it's very forgiving. Sonic capability beyond 1600 yards and over 1000 ft lbs of energy to 1200. All at UT elevations of course.

I don't get too excited over a round very often, the 7WSM has me going though.

</div></div>

Both rifles in my signature are 7wsm, I 100% feel ya. Talk to ya in a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snyper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know if the LaRue QD mounts are available in the same height as the DTA mounts? </div></div>

The best mount out there for the DTA is the DTA mount, in my opinion. I've tried every mount out there, and personally, I've found none that was the correct height. But after all, I do have a fat head. If you don't like the DTA mount the next closest one to the DTA mount, was Sphur.

If your head is small, then you may be able to make due, but if it's a fat one, trust me go with the DTA mount. </div></div>

I have to disagree with this. I am real thin with a very gaunt face, and my DTA mount was too high. I ended up going with a Larue mount do get the cheek weld lower. I would also look at the NF Unimount if you don't care to have it QD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What event was this? </div></div>

It was the Bullpups Only 2012 shoot in Park City. Here's a link to DTA's Facebook post on it.

Sorry if I missed this anywhere in this post but does Surefire make a muzzle brake compatable with DTA's .308 barrel's threads? I've heard yes, I've heard no. I have a SF 7.62 can that I would like to use. Thank you.

I don't believe they do. I emailed them and asked that question and the answer was no. I think they said they offer a flash suppressor that works, so that might be your answer.

The early Coverts back in 2010 were often shown with a Surefire adapter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I missed this anywhere in this post but does Surefire make a muzzle brake compatable with DTA's .308 barrel's threads? I've heard yes, I've heard no. I have a SF 7.62 can that I would like to use. Thank you. </div></div>

There was a guy at the Bullpups Only event who said he runs a Surefire 7.62 can on his covert. And it was a recently approved can. I don't know what gen his covert was.

My guess is that the DTA guys could point you in the right direction.

Sticking with my answer of "no" to a Surefire brake that fits ( but maybe on a Surefire flash hider ), you could have a smith rethread the muzzle to 5/8-24 and then run the sfmb-762-5-8-24

An even better answer might be to have a good smith fix the brake and thread it 3/4-24 rather than screwing up a barrel. The brake is cheap comparatively and enlarging the thread can only help where making it smaller could cause some problems.

Frank

@Sandwalk3r-Mike was excited to have run into you--I didn't go to that shoot, but we heard all about it back at the shop. Glad you got to put a couple rounds downrange.

@conndcj-I'm the new guy here and just getting used to our platforms...not sure on that surefire break/can of yours...I'll keep you posted when I get an answer (if Russ or Nick don't jump on in the meantime).

Very Nice rifles!

I have been salivating over one since I held one of the first ones offered to the public a few years ago at a gun store in Utah.

Just a few questions

1. Is the "hunter" version ever going to be put back on for production?

2. What is the lightest you could build one with a 16" barrel?

I love the rifle platform just wish it was a little lighter (I know, I know, just go to the gym... blah, blah, blah)

Would would be really coot is one of the new LW aluminum shrouded barrels Link to help reduce the weight + a carbon fiber handguard (probably not saving much weight there but maybe).

Just my .02

ETA: Just re-read a lot of this thread and I saw that with a custom carbon fiber hanguard you could save almost 1 lb on the covert and if it were the PSR (from the video a few pages back) that would save 2 pounds and if you combined both elements (maybe only adding 0.5 lb saving due to new hanguard on the PSR as well as length) could you possibly save 2.0-2.5 lbs on the covert?

I think a DT Covert ~ 7.0 lb weight would be awesome (I can only imagine if you had a lightweight barrel like the LW aluminum barrel or even a carbon fiber barrel [too bad there is too much controversy on the benefits/cons] to save further weight
shocked.gif

I need to rest and go take my heart medication before I die of a heart attack
grin.gif

It would be nice if you could shave some weight somewhere. In Idaho you can only hunt big game with a rifle that weighs less than 16 pounds, including scope, ammo, sling, and any attachments on the weapon. I know its a stupid rule but it's still the law.

My SRS with 22 inch .308 barrel, NXS, AAC flash hider, weighs about 15.75 pounds. If you add ammo, or a suppressor, or a bipod you're over the 16 pound threshold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New Shooter Dan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@Sandwalk3r-Mike was excited to have run into you--I didn't go to that shoot, but we heard all about it back at the shop. Glad you got to put a couple rounds downrange. </div></div>

Was a pleasant surprise. Now I gotta sell everything I own. Dusted off my R700 yesterday with renewed interest in shooting more often. .33" at 100 w/both 168 and 175gr SMKs. Those pics should help sell the rifle.

Torn on getting the covert or SRS. If TNVC'S clip-on is not ridiculously high, I may need the rail space
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwalk3r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New Shooter Dan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@Sandwalk3r-Mike was excited to have run into you--I didn't go to that shoot, but we heard all about it back at the shop. Glad you got to put a couple rounds downrange. </div></div>

Was a pleasant surprise. Now I gotta sell everything I own. Dusted off my R700 yesterday with renewed interest in shooting more often. .33" at 100 w/both 168 and 175gr SMKs. Those pics should help sell the rifle.

Torn on getting the covert or SRS. If TNVC'S clip-on is not ridiculously high, I may need the rail space
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thats awesome you actually got to shoot one before you buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frankr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice rifles!

I have been salivating over one since I held one of the first ones offered to the public a few years ago at a gun store in Utah.

Just a few questions

I love the rifle platform just wish it was a little lighter (I know, I know, just go to the gym... blah, blah, blah)

Would would be really coot is one of the new LW aluminum shrouded barrels Link to help reduce the weight + a carbon fiber handguard (probably not saving much weight there but maybe).

Just my .02

ETA: Just re-read a lot of this thread and I saw that with a custom carbon fiber hanguard you could save almost 1 lb on the covert and if it were the PSR (from the video a few pages back) that would save 2 pounds and if you combined both elements (maybe only adding 0.5 lb saving due to new hanguard on the PSR as well as length) could you possibly save 2.0-2.5 lbs on the covert?

I think a DT Covert ~ 7.0 lb weight would be awesome (I can only imagine if you had a lightweight barrel like the LW aluminum barrel or even a carbon fiber barrel [too bad there is too much controversy on the benefits/cons] to save further weight
shocked.gif

grin.gif
</div></div>

Frank, My Covert with a Harris 6-9, Leupold Mark 6 with one piece mount and 16" 308, bolt and mag weighs exactly 12 lbs.

Just the Covert with 16" barrel, bolt and mag weighs 9.21 lbs.

Russ

One question (other than should I go for SRS or Covert) is whether or not you can load a round at a time.

Traditional bolt guns are great for this. I love just feeding a round at a time and taking some dry fires in-between shots for the sake of practice & improvement.

I didn't really get to test that and a, interested to see if any DTA owners load one at a time easily.

I have tried single round feeding with my Covert/DTA mags. It did not work; the round would get hung up trying to close the bolt, so I gave up on that idea. If you have long skinny fingers (instead of fingertips like light bulbs), I'd guess you can place a round far enough forward where it will correctly feed into the chamber, rather than laying the round on top of the mag like I was doing, I just don't want to have to do it that way during a match. I would also imagine there might be a simple fix, I just didn't pursue it any further.

The barrel and bolt diameter required for the .338LM does not allow optimal single round feeding. In order to successfully single feed you must ensure that the nose of the projectile has entered the chamber before you try to close the bolt. With practice you can get proficient at it but it is still not ideal to single feed the srs. It feeds phenomenally from the magazine though, and with the shoulder retention feature protecting the nose of the projectile then it doesn't give anything up to feed from the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frankr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice rifles!

Just a few questions

Just my .02

shocked.gif

grin.gif
</div></div>

Frank, My Covert with a Harris 6-9, Leupold Mark 6 with one piece mount and 16" 308, bolt and mag weighs exactly 12 lbs.

Russ</div></div>

Thanks for the info Russ!

Out of curiosity if you were able to swap the upgrade the Covert with the PSR aftermarket parts how much weight could you (in theory) save?

Having only held and dry fired the SRS (not covert) I am curious if re-profiling/heavy fluting/ dimpling etc... could remove a significant amount of weight without affecting the overall inherent accuracy that this platform exhibits?
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frankr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frankr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice rifles!

Just a few questions

Just my .02

shocked.gif

grin.gif
</div></div>

Russ</div></div>

Thanks for the info Russ!

Out of curiosity if you were able to swap the upgrade the Covert with the PSR aftermarket parts how much weight could you (in theory) save?

Having only held and dry fired the SRS (not covert) I am curious if re-profiling/heavy fluting/ dimpling etc... could remove a significant amount of weight without affecting the overall inherent accuracy that this platform exhibits?
thanks </div></div>

I don't have a PSR to weigh an compare to my SRS's. Sorry

Reprofiling a barrel in theory would work to save weight on a 22-26" barrel. but when you are looking at the 16" barrel, it weighs about as much as a longer pencil thin barrel. 1/2 lb savings isn't worth the chance of losing sub 1/2 MOA accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New Shooter Dan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@Sandwalk3r-Mike was excited to have run into you--I didn't go to that shoot, but we heard all about it back at the shop. Glad you got to put a couple rounds downrange.

@conndcj-I'm the new guy here and just getting used to our platforms...not sure on that surefire break/can of yours...I'll keep you posted when I get an answer (if Russ or Nick don't jump on in the meantime). </div></div>

Dan, thank you. That would be great to know. I swear I've seen SF cans on DTAs but then again, I drink a lot.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: conndcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: New Shooter Dan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@Sandwalk3r-Mike was excited to have run into you--I didn't go to that shoot, but we heard all about it back at the shop. Glad you got to put a couple rounds downrange.

@conndcj-I'm the new guy here and just getting used to our platforms...not sure on that surefire break/can of yours...I'll keep you posted when I get an answer (if Russ or Nick don't jump on in the meantime). </div></div>

Dan, thank you. That would be great to know. I swear I've seen SF cans on DTAs but then again, I drink a lot.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Your drinking isn't an issue! haha.

I have seen it too, but unfortunately I couldn't tell you what model it was. DTA had a SureFire shoot not too long ago and the SF cans were used. For that reason I say that they do make brakes in the proper thread size. I will defer to Nick on this one, all I shoot is my YHM and DTA cans.

Sorry.

Our prototype coverts had shorter handguards with SF reflex cans on them. Production coverts have longer handguards for more rail space so no reflex cans will fit any longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our prototype coverts had shorter handguards with SF reflex cans on them. Production coverts have longer handguards for more rail space so no reflex cans will fit any longer.
</div></div>

Well there ya go.

Thanks Nick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Reprofiling a barrel in theory would work to save weight on a 22-26" barrel. but when you are looking at the 16" barrel, it weighs about as much as a longer pencil thin barrel. 1/2 lb savings isn't worth the chance of losing sub 1/2 MOA accuracy. </div></div>

Has anyone ball milled any DTA barrel? Weight? Accuracy?

Do you mean fluting? The regular SRS barrels come fluted. I'm not sure about the Covert barrels.

All SRS barrels and HTI barrels are fluted. Covert barrels are not.

Russ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our prototype coverts had shorter handguards with SF reflex cans on them. Production coverts have longer handguards for more rail space so no reflex cans will fit any longer.
</div></div>

Well there ya go.

Thanks Nick. </div></div>

Indeed. Thanks guys for the info. I very much appreciate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean fluting? The regular SRS barrels come fluted. I'm not sure about the Covert barrels. </div></div>

No, I am specifically curious if ball milling (see the KAC PDF barrel detail image below) reduces barrel weight more than deep fluting, while preserving accuracy.

pdw_last_20.jpg

Anybody have experience? Opinions?

Well if you are talking factory barrels you could only do that on a Covert barrel, since the rest are fluted.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

It would be nice to know how much weight is actually saved and whether accuracy is preserved before plunkin' down the cash.

I just measured for you. Its 2.970".

I have loaded for 308 and 6.5 CM. I have been unable to get close to using up all of the space even seating heavy 308s into the lands.

Ty

So yesterday morning me and the boys got up to out elk hunting spot. Lots and lots of people, not many elk. But I had luck on my side I guess, in a short bullpup package. I took the shot at 435yds, across a canyon to a clearing on a ridgetop. I aimed the 162 Amax right at the base of her neck, and thats where the bullet went. She was dead before she hit the ground. The other elk just wandered off calmly.
AC1122B5.jpg

B9D054C6.jpg

5DFA3DCC-1.jpg

4457391E.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So yesterday morning me and the boys got up to out elk hunting spot. Lots and lots of people, not many elk. But I had luck on my side I guess, in a short bullpup package. I took the shot at 435yds, across a canyon to a clearing on a ridgetop. I aimed the 162 Amax right at the base of her neck, and thats where the bullet went. She was dead before she hit the ground. The other elk just wandered off calmly.
AC1122B5.jpg

B9D054C6.jpg

5DFA3DCC-1.jpg

4457391E.jpg
</div></div>

congrats, Nice Shot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just measured for you. Its 2.970".

I have loaded for 308 and 6.5 CM. I have been unable to get close to using up all of the space even seating heavy 308s into the lands.

Ty </div></div>

That's strange, I just got my new .260 conversion kit and my mag measures 2.960", no way to shoot my 140 JLK's from this mag I need 2.970" just to seat to the lands. DTA's site claims 3.000" I think I am going to give DTA a call something is a miss here somewhere.

On a good note the new bolt design is one fine piece of work!
Sully

Anybody shoot their DTA at the manatee gun range in Florida?

I would like to shoot one before I part with that kind of $.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just measured for you. Its 2.970".

Ty </div></div>

That's strange, I just got my new .260 conversion kit and my mag measures 2.960", no way to shoot my 140 JLK's from this mag I need 2.970" just to seat to the lands. DTA's site claims 3.000" I think I am going to give DTA a call something is a miss here somewhere.

On a good note the new bolt design is one fine piece of work!
Sully </div></div>

402, I measured a bunch of my mags here at the shop and none of them are 3.000. So I went ahead and looked all over our site and never found anything claiming that measurement on the mags. Maybe I am missing something. Where did you see that?

For what it's worth you don't need to seat that JLK to the lands to make it shoot in the DTA. Im finishing load development on the .260 now, while not using the JLK we are getting some excellent performance out of like weight bullets.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Russ
DTA/DTM