• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Despite some requests here, currently Spuhr only makes mounts for 30 and 34mm tubes. Fine mounts. </div></div>

I see that Mile High Shooting has a run of 35mm Spuhrs. (Not that I need one now, thanks to BigJoe!)
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ308shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Despite some requests here, currently Spuhr only makes mounts for 30 and 34mm tubes. Fine mounts. </div></div>

I see that Mile High Shooting has a run of 35mm Spuhrs. (Not that I need one now, thanks to BigJoe!)
smile.gif

</div></div>

I stand corrected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did some work up with covet the past few days and thought I would share.</div></div>

Thanks! Could you clarify your COAL for those loads and, if possible water capacity on the cases?

I've had a hard time getting my 16" to shoot well (though I've been focusing on heavier bullets).

(If you don't want this to get lost here I started a thread for loading this barrel over here.) </div></div>

I haven't really found a load that I'm really happy with either in my 16". With the few that do seem to show promise I've been having fliers, which honestly could be me.

45.2 Varget, FC case, BR-2 and a 178 Amax at the lands has shown some promise for me, 2588fps avg 20ES.

On a whim I tried my Noveske 21" load 44.5 Varget, CCI LR, LC 08 and a 175 SMK at 2.81". 2515fps 20es

Both of these will stack 3-4 of 5 in 3/4" or so and the others will be 1-1.5" out at 100yds.

With subsonics I'm having good luck with 11.2 Trailboss, FC, CCI #34, 225 Hdy BTHP at the lands. Right at 1000fps and good ES/SD, shoots >3/4moa.

I have some 208 Amax loaded with 2000mr that I haven't had a chance to do a good long range test with yet. I've tried Hdy 178 BTHP at varying depths with varget, 2000mr, #34 and Br-2 with marginal success.

Help... Looking to get a 260 barrel. Should I go with a factory conversion with bolt and mag for Or a SAC barrel for...

Got in trouble for advertising prices. Sorry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help... Looking to get a 260 barrel. Should I go with a factory conversion with bolt and mag for 1335 shipped? Or a SAC barrel for 1485? </div></div>

Unless you want a custom length or caliper that DTA doesn't offer I don't see why you even consider getting a SAC.

The SAC in more expensive, it doesn't come with a bolt or mag, and it isn't fluted.

Both the DTA and the SAC are 1/2 MOA guarantee, most barrels shoot 1/4 MOA or better

Every one of my factory DTA barrels shoots lights out sac does awesome work I would use him if u wanted something other then DTA offers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help... Looking to get a 260 barrel. Should I go with a factory conversion with bolt and mag for Or a SAC barrel for </div></div>

Unless you want a custom length or caliper that DTA doesn't offer I don't see why you even consider getting a SAC.

The SAC in more expensive, it doesn't come with a bolt or mag, and it isn't fluted.

Both the DTA and the SAC are 1/2 MOA guarantee, most barrels shoot 1/4 MOA or better</div></div>

Just so we a clear, sac is a base price of 1350. The 1485 is fluted. I don't want to misrepresent sac. I hear nothing but good about them. I am new to 6.5 and have done a lot of reading and pondering between the 260 and x47.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help... Looking to get a 260 barrel. Should I go with a factory conversion with bolt and mag for 1335 shipped? Or a SAC barrel for 1485? </div></div>
I have two DTA barrels (.308,.260) and a SAC 7saum, I would go either way. As already mentioned if DTA has what you want then buy it, if not, have Mark spin you up what you want. You will be happy with either option I assure you.

Mark from SAC is GTG and great to deal with.

There were several factors that made me chose SAC rather than a standard DTA barrel. I did not want a 3/4x24 but rather a 5/8-24 thread. I wanted a 6.5cm with a 1 in 8" twist and not a 260rem. I wanted my a bartlein barrel and it melonited. I wanted a removable muzzle brake threaded and indexed. Also wanted a different length than what DTA had standard.

Some people likes to say what they have is the best, we of course that is your opinion. But it reality it boils down to what one wants and how someone wants to spend their own money. To each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Help... Looking to get a 260 barrel. Should I go with a factory conversion with bolt and mag for 1335 shipped? Or a SAC barrel for 1485? </div></div>

Both the DTA and the SAC are 1/2 MOA guarantee, most barrels shoot 1/4 MOA or better</div></div>

Just so we a clear, sac is a base price of 1350. The 1485 is fluted. I don't want to misrepresent sac. I hear nothing but good about them. I am new to 6.5 and have done a lot of reading and pondering between the 260 and x47. </div></div>

You'll hear different opinions but I think go with 260rem or 6cm. X47 has great brass but it is expensive, plus it has less case capacity. If you are going with 140gr or 142gr for higher BC, go with 260rem or 6cm. 6cm has a slight advantage over 260rem in powder efficiency but either is good.

Trigger Question

I will be buying a new rifle soon and I keep coming back to the DTA. And since I don't own one, I have a couple of probably ignorant questions.

The DTA website describes the trigger as a "match Trigger". Any idea who makes it? Is it adjustable? Single stage or two Stage?

Also, one other point of curiosity.... Does the rifle recoil differently from a conventional rifle? This really doesn't matter, I am just curious.

Thanks guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rustybroadhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger Question

I will be buying a new rifle soon and I keep coming back to the DTA. And since I don't own one, I have a couple of probably ignorant questions.

The DTA website describes the trigger as a "match Trigger". Any idea who makes it? Is it adjustable? Single stage or two Stage?

Also, one other point of curiosity.... Does the rifle recoil differently from a conventional rifle? This really doesn't matter, I am just curious.

Thanks guys </div></div>

My understanding is that DTA makes their triggers in-house. I do not know of any aftermarket bullpup trigger makers as they are more difficult to make compared to traditional action triggers.

It is fully adjustable from position (forward and back), to creep, as well as pull weight.

As for the 1 vs 2 stage question, I have read where people have adjusted it so that it essentially is a 2-stage trigger. However, I was not able to find that sweet spot and have kept it a single stage.

The only downside I have for the trigger is over travel. When I position the trigger to where it fits my hand best, after the rifle fires there is still a good bit of travel.

I have not seen any issue with the recoil compared to my R700. Now if you have a rifle that recoils up/forward/right/left THEN you might not be used to the DTA, but I think you'll be alright.
laugh.gif

The trigger is fantastic, I have zero complaints about it. Easily adjsted to your liking. And yes it is made by DTA, and as far as I know there is no aftermarket (nor is there a need IMHO)

The recoil is very direct, to me, it feels like the rifle has less tendancy to rise. More of a direct straight back push. I am able to call my own shots, even with my magnum 7.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have been going round and round trying to decide whether to build a custom gun or go this route.... and I keep coming back to this.

No matter who the builder is, you can always find someone who has problems or issues with either the company or the product when it comes to a custom build. Seems like everyone that owns a DTA is very satisfied with the product and raves about the customer service. That says a lot

Rusty, be aware of SRS Syndrome. It's affected nearly everyone who owns an SRS here on the Hide. Basically, acquiring an SRS and then some conversion kits leads to selling off of some of your other rifles because they become outdated, unnecessary or just safe queens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rustybroadhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks everyone for the input. I have been going round and round trying to decide whether to build a custom gun or go this route.... and I keep coming back to this.

No matter who the builder is, you can always find someone who has problems or issues with either the company or the product when it comes to a custom build. Seems like everyone that owns a DTA is very satisfied with the product and raves about the customer service. That says a lot </div></div>

I have several custom rifles from various reputable gunsmiths including ones that seem to be held in highest regard on this forum. Everything else just sits in the safe, and my DTA is my go to bolt-action rifle.

Welp. I pulled the trigger so to speak. Placed my order for a SRS in 308. Now I wait... and then when it gets to California, I wait some more.

Thanks for the warning on the DTA syndrome. I would imagine it is highly contagious and probably nearly impossible to get rid of.... sounds like scary stuff!

Guess that is why I am looking forward to a good case of it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rusty, be aware of SRS Syndrome. It's affected nearly everyone who owns an SRS here on the Hide. Basically, acquiring an SRS and then some conversion kits leads to selling off of some of your other rifles because they become outdated, unnecessary or just safe queens. </div></div>

Dogtown knows of what he speaks because he is a carrier of SRS-S of the highest order. I caught it and the EDM flu at the same time.

I just have to get a 300WM now that I found dies and a whole bunch of components in my old gun room.

The trigger is fantastic, bullpup or no bullpup.

Well here is my new SAC conversion. Thanks Mark for all your help with this one. It's the only one of its kind (at the moment) a 375 Sledgehammer SRS, have a S&B PMII on order to replace my old NF

a0190d06db3eac1a7e3f5ea294339abc.jpg

bb8d4a4717b086c552734a20543e2919.jpg

8574f641b02b7015ee6f232de6f02869.jpg

great rifle!
could you talk me about this cartridge i've never heard about?

Man, I just ordered one from euro yesterday, got in trouble for advertising price. Sorry:(

Does anyone know if the new improved bolts are shipping from DTA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All conversion kits are shipping with the new bolt from this point on, yes you can purchase the new bolts now. We are selling them as fully assembled for the same price as the old bolts were. If you just wanted to buy the bolt head we can accommodate that but haven't priced just the bolt heads yet.
</div></div>

From the man himself

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

bribri - There were a couple of guys before me who posted here about their 284 bbls for the SRS; the only problem is getting magazines that work. DTA doesn't make a mag that fits the 284 case, so what we've had to get were 308 mag bodies, springs, & floorplates, along with 300WM followers. Then - since DTA can't seem to get the 308 bodies w/o the spacers already tig welded in - you gotta grind the welds off the spacers to remove them.

It takes a little tweaking of the mag's feed lips to get them to feed 284s reliably, and that's still a work in progress for me. Between working on other people's rifles & farm work, I haven't managed to devote the time to focus on my mags and get them 100% reliable. According to another regular who posted his experience with his own 284 here, that may never happen. However, I'm a hardcore 284 fan, and will keep working at it.

I did my own SRS 284 bbl, using a Bartlein 5R 1:9tw blank turned to a contour similar to SAC's, and finished at 28". I've got a TBAC 30BA brake on it (and actually had my 30BA brake attached for a few minutes, before having to give it back to my SOT until the Form 4 comes back), which makes it very pleasant to shoot with 180s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All conversion kits are shipping with the new bolt from this point on, yes you can purchase the new bolts now. We are selling them as fully assembled for the same price as the old bolts were. If you just wanted to buy the bolt head we can accommodate that but haven't priced just the bolt heads yet.
</div></div>

From the man himself </div></div>

Well, if that is the case, how come my DTA is still being held up at SAC? Mark said he is still waiting for the new bolt for my rifle. The rest of it is done.

Should I call DTA directly to see what is the hangup?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All conversion kits are shipping with the new bolt from this point on, yes you can purchase the new bolts now. We are selling them as fully assembled for the same price as the old bolts were. If you just wanted to buy the bolt head we can accommodate that but haven't priced just the bolt heads yet.
</div></div>

From the man himself </div></div>

Well, if that is the case, how come my DTA is still being held up at SAC? Mark said he is still waiting for the new bolt for my rifle. The rest of it is done.

Should I call DTA directly to see what is the hangup? </div></div>

Like with any other company you have place an order with them and wait for it to arrive. I have seen the new bolts and know they are being produced. Most orders with DTA take around 6-8 weeks for them to fulfill.

It's possible that SAC may have DTA chassis in stock but not bolts. Items from DTA are ordered al la carte. The Chassis does not come with a bolt. Bolts are either ordered individually or come with conversion kits.

Question for guys shooting the SRS in 338 Lapua. I'll be shooting between 750-1500 yards and maybe a but further.

-I heard a lot of good things about Berger, Hornady, SMK's, and Lapua bullets. I'd like to go with the Berger's for the high BC. Will the 300 gr. Berger's fit the SRS Mag while still be able to be jammed into the lands?

-Is the 300 gr. Berger's a good choice in the SRS?

Thanks in advance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, we definitely aren't going to have booth babes because when someone posts that 16 out of 32 shooters shot a group that measured 0.387" or smaller and the only thing us guys see is a binkini, it doesn't help rifle sales. LOL
</div></div>And some of us DTA shooters ARE women and hate having to see that crap when we are looking at guns. Thank you . I almost didn't buy my USO scope because of that. glad to see people actually think before they act.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: archaos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...375 Sledgehammer....</div></div>

Great... another cartridge not listed in the latest (13th) edition of Cartridges of the World, but wait! Here is some information that Archaos provided elsewhere:

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.p...5-sledgehammer/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Is the 300 gr. Berger's a good choice in the SRS?
</div></div>

People are getting good performance with the 300 Bergers, though I would say the 250 & 300 Scenar along with 300 SMK are more popular at this point. All of those are shot from SRS with good results, though based on the latest round of extensive testing, you might consider the 285 Hornadys

http://www.snipershide.com/2012/04/gunsite-xlr-338-bullet-test/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for guys shooting the SRS in 338 Lapua. I'll be shooting between 750-1500 yards and maybe a but further.

-I heard a lot of good things about Berger, Hornady, SMK's, and Lapua bullets. I'd like to go with the Berger's for the high BC. Will the 300 gr. Berger's fit the SRS Mag while still be able to be jammed into the lands?

-Is the 300 gr. Berger's a good choice in the SRS?

Thanks in advance

</div></div>

Desert Tactical Munitions is using the 300 gr Berger Hybrid in their factory ammunition now. It provides a superior BC, excellent flight characteristics and stable sub sonic transition as far as we have tested it. You will do well by using the Berger bullet. Excellent company to work with and are able to fulfill our needs without the BS.

Russ
DTM

Russ, at what distance does 300gr Berger (DTM ammo) transit to subsonic, using standard DTA barrel (26" 1:10 twist)? From your answer I hope to extrapolate what my luck may be with this bullet.

Thanks

Mouse, obviously if you are planning on shooting these distances you understand the variables in giving you a correct answer. What I will do is give you the answer at my location from MY barrel.

Ever barrel is going to give you a different velocity. Elevation, pressure, temp, yada, yada, yada.

Right now from my front yard with my personal SRS and barrel......

Pressure: 25.15
Temp: 63.5
humidity: 40.3%

Current speed of sound: 1120.99 fps
Velocity at 2000 yards: 1161.02 fps
Max supersonic range: 2083 yards
Est max usable range: 3095 yards
Max possible range: 9286 yards

Hope this helps. I know your area and environmentals may be very different from mine, but it gives you an idea.

Russ, thank you! Yes it certainly does. Since your elevation is higher, I am not likely to observe 2100 yards of supersonic flight - but your numbers suggest that hoping to get 1600-1800 yards of supersonic is realistic (based on the variables you hinted upon ;-) ).

Happy to help.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Russ

Thanks Russ & Dog town. My very next question was going to be what the DTA factory ammo was using. Looks like I'll be trying the Berger's for sure now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Russ & Dog town. My very next question was going to be what the DTA factory ammo was using. Looks like I'll be trying the Berger's for sure now.

</div></div>

Berger bullets for now. I may be offering another bullet option in the future as well as maybe offering a solid for the guys that are interested.

We have switched to Bertram brass on the 338. While not as "pretty" as the Lapua, we have seen some phenomenal results with it. Internal case capacity has proven to be more consistent as well as neck tension and annealing as compared to other brands on the market. For that reason I feel we have come up with some of the best 338 Lapua ammo out there and at a kickass price!

I have fired multiple sub half MOA groups at 1000 and an 11 inch group at 1600 yards. I'm not a big 338LM shooter, but when I throw that barrel into my SRS, I know what to expect from our ammo.

I have a SRS on the way and I am trying to buy a Suphr mount for it before it arrives. How tall of a mount should I get for a SS 5-20x50? I will be "trying" to shoot .308 to 1000 yds. And then a .338 down the road.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2 stage is not available at this time, we will have one in the future that will be retrofitable but it may be some time still.
</div></div>

Can you give us a rough timeframe? Like less that 6 months, 6-12 months, 12+ months?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flatland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bribri - There were a couple of guys before me who posted here about their 284 bbls for the SRS; the only problem is getting magazines that work. DTA doesn't make a mag that fits the 284 case, so what we've had to get were 308 mag bodies, springs, & floorplates, along with 300WM followers. Then - since DTA can't seem to get the 308 bodies w/o the spacers already tig welded in - you gotta grind the welds off the spacers to remove them.

It takes a little tweaking of the mag's feed lips to get them to feed 284s reliably, and that's still a work in progress for me. Between working on other people's rifles & farm work, I haven't managed to devote the time to focus on my mags and get them 100% reliable. According to another regular who posted his experience with his own 284 here, that may never happen. However, I'm a hardcore 284 fan, and will keep working at it.

I did my own SRS 284 bbl, using a Bartlein 5R 1:9tw blank turned to a contour similar to SAC's, and finished at 28". I've got a TBAC 30BA brake on it (and actually had my 30BA brake attached for a few minutes, before having to give it back to my SOT until the Form 4 comes back), which makes it very pleasant to shoot with 180s.</div></div>

Thanks for the info, hope you get the mags to work.

I want one but I shot left handed. Dont know how well that will work. Any ideas.

See if you can meet up with someone and shoot one lefty. I have a couple friends who've shot mine lefty and while it took some getting used to, it wasn't a show stopper. Of course, your mileage may vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-Is the 300 gr. Berger's a good choice in the SRS?
</div></div>

People are getting good performance with the 300 Bergers, though I would say the 250 & 300 Scenar along with 300 SMK are more popular at this point. All of those are shot from SRS with good results, though based on the latest round of extensive testing, you might consider the 285 Hornadys

http://www.snipershide.com/2012/04/gunsite-xlr-338-bullet-test/

</div></div> Huge fan of the 285 hornady here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clarkarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one but I shot left handed. Dont know how well that will work. Any ideas. </div></div>

I shoot mine left handed sometimes. It requires you to move your head to cycle the bolt but your trigger hand stays on the grip. Other than that its not bad.

Frank

Has anyone had the notches on their butt-plate break off before? The bolt smacks right into it and its just polymer.. my srs just came in today and I took it out of the box, opened opened the bolt, made sure the barrel was torqued to spec, and pulled off the butt-plate and two pieces came falling out like knocked out teeth. It was the top two notches on the but-plate that face the bolt. Both snapped off IDENTICAL, literally. not sure if it was just a small defect or what, but not a way I like to start off with this beautiful thing. I know DTA has some great customer service and will rectify this. I left them a message today, but after hours.

Maybe for the future, since a bolt is slamming into this, they could make it out of billet aluminum or something... Just the front piece of the butt-plate, no problems with the rest..

Here she is! Cant wait to take it out and sling some lead..
DTA.jpg