• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the reticles in your new DTA/Kahles? </div></div>

From comlink:

dtamr.jpg

</div></div>

This is the most impressive thing I saw at SHOT this year, and I had to look at it on Russ's phone. I have some time behind the K624i and it is every bit as good as any scope I have ever used. My one gripe was the reticles.

I saved my pennies for awhile so that I could buy any scope I wanted. All of the top tiers were great, but I wanted a reticle with less than .5 mil sub tensions. The best I could do was the USO 5-25 with the MPR reticle. It does have them less than .5 mil, BUT they don't start until .5 mil from the center of the reticle.

This baby starts at .2 mil from the center! That will make holding windage at comp distances very easy. I wish I had waited a couple months.......

Oh yeah, the A1 is sweet, meeting Russ face to face was good. Also good seeing Ethan and the boys.

Good work DTA!

Ty

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question for those in the know....

If I swap a Gen II extension out for a Gen I on a barrel, should it headspace out without any machine work or will the barrel have to be machined to get head space right?</div></div>

Just swap and torque the new extension. You should be fine.

Ty

Now that the A1 version is coming, I have decided to get one on order.... then I read here on the Hide that a lefty is coming too.
Can anyone verify if a lefty SRS is a reality... if so I want to wait for it.

AMR is only in 6-24x for now. The 3-12x can be done if enough interest is had.

Lefty is planned for end of this year yes.

Scopes gonna have desert tactical flip covers? How about sunshade?

how is the butt plate on the a1 model? is it still the composite or does it come with the aluminum plate from the get go?

yeah i'll have one of the new Kahles on my SRS soon, once i free some funds, i talked for a while with nick, russ, mike and the DTA boys, the new reticle makes sense and should be a good one. Kahles is the scope maker to watch at the moment,

This may have to replace my g2 hdmr. I need something with a bit more magnification with my 338 and I just missed the new bushnell gb from George!

had a good time at the SHOT show with the DT guys. Got a lot of good and useful info pertaining to my odd cal conversions and other stuff. Had a look at the A1 and really like the new handguard. Some of us don't mount everything we own on the rails and reducing the weight by getting rid of unused ones is a great idea. Those who need or want to mount other equip on the rails can do it by mounting pieces of rail where they need them. Wonderful idea and well done in practice. The cheekrest does nothing for me as I don't have any issues with what is there but it looks well done for those that need it. The buttpad is the same....looks ok but I don't think I'd spend any more to have it. The original is fine with me. Since I shoot lefty sometimes I think its great they're looking at doing the left handed version for those that need it that way. Most of us have learned to use the right handed guns however and I'll stick with what I have. I do think they've opened up the gun to a larger market by making these changes available so mores the better. The show was overwhelming and 3 days is not enough to see everything yet its more than enough to see what I wanted.

Thanks to the DT Bunch for all the info. Glad to meet some of you in person.

Frank

The new Kahles scope is looking awesome! The only things I would like see added would be milestone clicks at the full mil, tool-less zero stop, and another reticle option nearly identical to the AMR except with a fine little crosshair in the center instead of the open circle. I've used the Nikon Predator BDC and I really did not care for the open circle for shooting furry critters.
I've had the pleasure of building a DTA custom caliber conversion in 22-250 Remington in a sporter weight 14twist barrel for burning 40-50grain bullets on coyotes. I think this may open up even more opportunities for the DTA user.
"Predator Edition" DTA Covert

Will the equipment needed to retrofit current SRS's to the A1 be available in March as well? If not, what is the ETA?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any word on the reticles in your new DTA/Kahles? </div></div>

From comlink:

dtamr.jpg

</div></div>

This is the most impressive thing I saw at SHOT this year, and I had to look at it on Russ's phone. I have some time behind the K624i and it is every bit as good as any scope I have ever used. My one gripe was the reticles.

I saved my pennies for awhile so that I could buy any scope I wanted. All of the top tiers were great, but I wanted a reticle with less than .5 mil sub tensions. The best I could do was the USO 5-25 with the MPR reticle. It does have them less than .5 mil, BUT they don't start until .5 mil from the center of the reticle.

This baby starts at .2 mil from the center! That will make holding windage at comp distances very easy. I wish I had waited a couple months.......

Oh yeah, the A1 is sweet, meeting Russ face to face was good. Also good seeing Ethan and the boys.

Good work DTA!

Ty </div></div>

Sorry if I missed it....any word on pricing?

When it's time for new glass, this one will be going straight to the top for consideration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any eta on the left handed version?!?!?! </div></div>

End of the year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the equipment needed to retrofit current SRS's to the A1 be available in March as well? If not, what is the ETA? </div></div>

DTA will be filling rifle orders before they start selling all the parts for the upgrades. They will be available, but not for several months. Keep in mind, the adjustable cheek piece will require returning your chassis to DTA for machining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any eta on the left handed version?!?!?! </div></div>

End of the year. </div></div>

frown.gif
Thanks for the quick answer. Im excited to get my hands on one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any eta on the left handed version?!?!?! </div></div>

Please tell me this includes a left-handed version on the HTI, and if not, when??
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any eta on the left handed version?!?!?! </div></div>

Please tell me this includes a left-handed version on the HTI, and if not, when??
eek.gif
</div></div>

Stand by. I'll see what I can find out.

Has anyone ever done a 7 Rem Mag barrel for a DTA?

I know the 7 WSM is the hot choice right now but brass issues are such a pain. 7 Rem Mag brass is readily available.

I'm thinking if 300 Win Mag feeds well, 7 Rem Mag should as well no?

Hi Russ,

Three questions if I may:

1. Has the price been set yet to upgrade an SRS Gen I to -A1 (parts and labor/machining)?

2. Would DTA provide a drawing for required machining for DYI'ers to upgrade to -A1?

3. Any thoughts on if/when DTM will release .300WM ammo?

THX!

Will the SRS-A1 chassis handle the .375 CheyTac recoil?

I am not interested in any of the other calibers of the HTI at this point, but I am very interested in the .375. I am pre-ordering the SRS in .308 and .338LM, however, I would really like the range of the .375 as well.

In my travails of reading, I saw mentioned that the .375 conversion would mount in the SRS platform, but I am unclear whether that is true. And if so... what are the ramifications?

Don't want to void a warranty or break the chassis in two. But I would really like to work with the .375 if possible.

Nope, if you want to shoot the .375CT you need to use the scaled up HTI chassis, not the SRS. The SRS doesn't have dimensions to safely support that cartridge.

Figured as much... but when I read that post I got all a twitter...

thought I might get out of buying both the SRS and the HTI... easier on my wallet... and I know if I have the capability... I will end up getting the 50. It was the only ammo available at my LGS other than .380.

Maybe I'll just buy the HTI chassis just in case... to insure it isn't 'AW' banned... with that sinister grip and all.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dadnatron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the SRS-A1 chassis handle the .375 CheyTac recoil?

I am not interested in any of the other calibers of the HTI at this point, but I am very interested in the .375. I am pre-ordering the SRS in .308 and .338LM, however, I would really like the range of the .375 as well.

In my travails of reading, I saw mentioned that the .375 conversion would mount in the SRS platform, but I am unclear whether that is true. And if so... what are the ramifications?

Don't want to void a warranty or break the chassis in two. But I would really like to work with the .375 if possible. </div></div>

The 375 you are thinking of is probably my 375 Sledgehammer custom conversion I had made, it's based on a 338LM case with an improved shoulder, it pushes the 350gr SMK at a hair over 2800fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PowerstrokeOBX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any eta on the left handed version?!?!?! </div></div>

eek.gif
</div></div>

Stand by. I'll see what I can find out. </div></div>

Negative on the Left Handed HTI....at least for now. I talked to Nick yesterday and hit him up. First we will concentrate on the SRS..... then maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever done a 7 Rem Mag barrel for a DTA?

I know the 7 WSM is the hot choice right now but brass issues are such a pain. 7 Rem Mag brass is readily available.

I'm thinking if 300 Win Mag feeds well, 7 Rem Mag should as well no? </div></div>

Yes, I have seen one and it fed and functioned great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MicLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Russ,

Three questions if I may:

1. Has the price been set yet to upgrade an SRS Gen I to -A1 (parts and labor/machining)?

2. Would DTA provide a drawing for required machining for DYI'ers to upgrade to -A1?

3. Any thoughts on if/when DTM will release .300WM ammo?

THX!

</div></div>

1) As far as I know, no, the prices have not been set. That is a sales question, but I will find out and when they are set, I will post up here if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

2) Good question, I don't see why not, but I will see what the machinists and Nick say.

3) As far as the DTM ammo in 300WM goes...... I have been back ordered on brass for months now. I will see if I can get an update for you. I would like to get it as well. I have the first 3500 pre sold. I was able to give a few guys a little taste and they ordered 3000 right then.

Remember guys, I develop loads, load ammo and break stuff. You have to be patient as I don't want to pass bad info. I will get you answers as soon as I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911 ®</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RussW1911 ® said:
LarryA said:
RussW1911 ® said:
Negative on the Left Handed HTI....at least for now. I talked to Nick yesterday and hit him up. First we will concentrate on the SRS..... then maybe. </div></div>
10-4 ill hope for obe in the future... Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: archaos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dadnatron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will the SRS-A1 chassis handle the .375 CheyTac recoil?

Don't want to void a warranty or break the chassis in two. But I would really like to work with the .375 if possible. </div></div>

The 375 you are thinking of is probably my 375 Sledgehammer custom conversion I had made, it's based on a 338LM case with an improved shoulder, it pushes the 350gr SMK at a hair over 2800fps
</div></div>

A while back some guys chambered their SRS in .375 CT. DTA stands firm on what they said back then. If you do this, you are taking a great risk as the platform was not designed to handle that size round and you will void all warranties by doing so.

That said..... the .375 SH that was mentioned and has been built is dead sexy. I will look into that as well.

Would there be anything to gain by opening up a 375 CT chamber to 375 Snipetac? I'm not sure that the 29" barrel would be able to take advantage of the extra case capacity but you should see reduced chamber pressure and case stretch with the "improved" design. It might require single feeding but I'd probably do that anyway to protect the bullet tips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300LW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would there be anything to gain by opening up a 375 CT chamber to 375 Snipetac? I'm not sure that the 29" barrel would be able to take advantage of the extra case capacity but you should see reduced chamber pressure and case stretch with the "improved" design. It might require single feeding but I'd probably do that anyway to protect the bullet tips. </div></div>

Splitting hairs in my opinion. If I ever were to have a custom barrel made, I would consider it since were are constantly pushing the limits.

Magazine design protects the nose of the bullet. They are retained by the shoulder for that very reason.

I asked Dave Viers this question and was told that he doesn't like to rechamber barrels because of the difficulty of getting it straight and that 32" is needed to take advantage of the increased capacity. He also didn't think the cartridge would fit in the magazine based on the photo I sent him but who knows without actually trying it.

Just jumping in here... Saying Hi. Picked up my DTA SRS 338LM last week, got a few accessories and a .308 conversion as well. Have yet to shoot it. Waiting on scope mount and scope....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaleHorse77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just jumping in here... Saying Hi. Picked up my DTA SRS 338LM last week, got a few accessories and a .308 conversion as well. Have yet to shoot it. Waiting on scope mount and scope.... </div></div>

IMAG0258.jpg

CLSB getting crowded?

I was told that all SRS shipped out within the last 6 months have been pre-milled to accept the SRS-A1 changes. It looks to me like this would include a couple of holes on the left side of the cheek rest area to accommodate the adjustable cheek piece. It also seems like with the pre-milling this should be user swappable. I was hoping someone could confirm this.

jbc,
You will have to remove your stock skins to see if your receiver has been pre-milled or not.

Nick I have a Covert that was bought on the Oakland tactical gb that hasn't shipped yet. Would this model already be milled. When we remove the skins what are the signs to look for to see if they will accept the upgrades?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

CLSB getting crowded? </div></div>

Crowded... good word for it...

It will have a series of lines machined into the left side of the receiver, very easy to spot. We have been machining receivers with the cheekpiece feature for months so they should have them but there may still be some in the system lying around without but it's not a big deal because we can add them on other receivers.

For all Gen 1 and 2 guys getting rocked!!!
good to see Nick has addressed the issue and his new rifles look awesome! I will be also showing a new add on to attach to a Molle Back pack this week for all my fellow SRS Owners!
pads4.jpg

5finishedpads.jpg

assorted4.jpg

Pads are HERE! IN FULL FORCE!
Might have contacted allot of you? But might have lost a few orders due to my email being hacked! I am getting out 4 a week and will have everyone's back orders out in less than 2 weeks.
[email protected]

Oh My!!!! Way to go Brian, they look fantastic! Can't wait to get mine. Keep up the good work.
Sully

Hey what's up guys. First post here. I am new to bolt action rifles and have a SRS Covert due any day now. Thank goodness I found this thread because I would have wasted 2k+ pimpin out a 700 just to have it replaced with the SRS as soon as I saw one. I have a couple questions...

Anyone care to comment on the 18" vs 26" .338 Lapua barrels?
I did read all 72 pages of this thread in the past couple weeks, and I saw Nick mentioned that he wouldn't know why someone would order the 26" when the 18" serves him just fine. I will be lucky to find a 1000yd shot so staying supersonic for an extra couple hundred feet past a mile isn't a concern to me. (I haven't done the numbers so I am not sure about the couple hundred feet and the mile long supersonic so go easy on the new guy)

Anyone care to comment on the .338 can on the .308 barrel? I have a Wilson 30 cal that would obviously fit, but if the .338 can is good enough, then I will get the proper brake for it so that it can be attached to both the 338 and 308. I would prefer to keep it simple and just use one can for the whole system. Theres only room for one suppressor in the Covert soft case anyways...

Anyone know the lead time on the .338 suppressor or someone that has one in stock? I am giving my FFL guy $2k tomorrow for one, and I would like to have the shortest wait possible to get the serial so I can start my paperwork.

Ohh and by the way... I ordered the NF Beast last week for it and they are due in May. I am going to have to slum it with my Leupold Mark 4 for now.

18" and 26" 338LM barrels vary in a velocity a lot. Perhaps you meant the 22" and 26" 308 win barrels which give the same velocity and the 16" 308 barrel is only a bit slower.