• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Just ordered my DTA SRSCovert 308 model from eurooptic.com. Should be here next week. Erik at euro was helpful and helped me get my package together on a sunday. I dont know to many dealers that work on the weekends but he was prompt to answer my calls and worked out my issue so I could get my order in. Any comments on breaking this fine piece of machinery in properly? I was told by an owner of a 300 wsm model to fire 1 round and clean it, and do this for 20 cycles. Then fire 3 rounds and clean and repeat for 20 cycles. Hit it up with a copper brush and some bore paste and then good to go. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

Yes
Any comments on breaking this fine piece of machinery in properly? I was told by an owner of a 300 wsm model to fire 1 round and clean it, and do this for 20 cycles. Then fire 3 rounds and clean and repeat for 20 cycles. Hit it up with a copper brush and some bore paste and then good to go.
^^Dont do this, its a waste of time. Just shoot it, clean it when it needs it, lube it, repeat.

Just ordered my DTA SRSCovert 308 model from eurooptic.com. Should be here next week. Erik at euro was helpful and helped me get my package together on a sunday. I dont know to many dealers that work on the weekends but he was prompt to answer my calls and worked out my issue so I could get my order in. Any comments on breaking this fine piece of machinery in properly? I was told by an owner of a 300 wsm model to fire 1 round and clean it, and do this for 20 cycles. Then fire 3 rounds and clean and repeat for 20 cycles. Hit it up with a copper brush and some bore paste and then good to go. Any thoughts?

Didn't know they had these in stock ready to ship when I ordered my A1 or probably would of went this route.

Just happened to call them today. I was considering either the vanquish or srs but decided to go with a platform that was
more compatible with my requirements. If im not mistaken they only had one covert model in stock. I wanted it in the black/od model but got the anodonized black finish model, which was just fine with me. Considering the wait time is 10 weeks or more, Im glad I called and I got lucky. I was honestly just trying to find out what the wait time would be, but to my suprise one was just waiting for me to welcome into my collection.

RLTW!

Last edited:

There is a lot of urban legend out there about break in and cleaning regimen. Please don't shoot one and clean multiple times and PLEASE keep bore paste out of your barrel. Knock the carbon out from time to time and march on. Unless you are storing your weapon for long periods of time, keep it dirty and shoot. Never clean all the copper out of it. More barrels are ruined by cleaning than by shooting.

Russ @ Desert Tactical

To follow up on my post.

I clean when accuracy starts to degrade. If my SRS drops to anything above 1/2 MOA, I take the carbon, just the carbon and only the carbon out of the barrel. I have never seen a factory DTA barrel get extremely copper fouled unless I was pushing the limits on velocity with a known soft jacket bullet. There is a reason we went with Lothar Walther barrels. They just plain shoot, every time, all the time......

Russ @ Desert Tactical

What height Spuhr mount are you guys running on your SRS that is equivalent to the DTA? I see the DTA is 1.52" to the center. Does this mean the 1.46" will be the one? I'd perfer the DTA, but I can no longer wait. It's been on order for over 2 months!!!! Also, is there any 34-30 scope ring reducers that will work for the Spurh? I have a BEAST on order which is 34, but the scope I am using now is 30mm. I may just grab a 30mm Spuhr and hope the DTA will arrive by May. Any DTA personnel care to comment on the holdup of the mounts?

Last edited:
Is anyone running a brake on their 16" 308 barrel? Does it make much of a difference? or just throw on a thread protector and good to go?

Anybody know if DTA is going to quit making the Gen 2's or everything is A1 now?

If you order an A1 without the pad upgrade or cheek riser it's the same as a Gen2. From what I understand from a phone call to DTA is that the cheek piece and pad upgrades are upgrades so basically you are ordering a Gen 2. I'm not sure if the serials are now going to say A1. If not, there will be no difference.

Want to give DTA a thank you for the excellent customer service. Had a couple problems that have came up with my DTA. Called them up and sent in the parts. They checked the parts and even replaced one I am not sure really needed replaced. The bolt had weak/short spring in it causing a random misfire. It also had a machine mark in it I never even noticed. They replaced the spring and sent along a new bolt with the old one because they didn't like the look of the old bolt. WOW, can't ask for more than that. Never charged me for any of it. So I ordered the other 2 bolt heads for the new one. Along with a bunch of other stuff. Also tried to order some ammo. Don't know what I was thinking. They can't keep up with demand either. Keep up the good work.

Want to give DTA a thank you for the excellent customer service. Had a couple problems that have came up with my DTA. Called them up and sent in the parts. They checked the parts and even replaced one I am not sure really needed replaced. The bolt had weak/short spring in it causing a random misfire. It also had a machine mark in it I never even noticed. They replaced the spring and sent along a new bolt with the old one because they didn't like the look of the old bolt. WOW, can't ask for more than that. Never charged me for any of it. So I ordered the other 2 bolt heads for the new one. Along with a bunch of other stuff. Also tried to order some ammo. Don't know what I was thinking. They can't keep up with demand either. Keep up the good work.

Sorry about that ammo thing bro...... I'm working on it, I promise!

Russ @ Desert Tactical

What are some good bi pod choices for srs covert? Show pics...

Several of us prefer the harris over the Atlas, others prefer the atlas over the harris. Complete personal preference. I have multiple of both and prefer the Harris. If you go throught the pages you will see pics of both.

What height Spuhr mount are you guys running on your SRS that is equivalent to the DTA? I see the DTA is 1.52" to the center. Does this mean the 1.46" will be the one? I'd perfer the DTA, but I can no longer wait. It's been on order for over 2 months!!!! Also, is there any 34-30 scope ring reducers that will work for the Spurh? I have a BEAST on order which is 34, but the scope I am using now is 30mm. I may just grab a 30mm Spuhr and hope the DTA will arrive by May. Any DTA personnel care to comment on the holdup of the mounts?

I run the Spuhr 1.46" 0 MOA taper. Only reason for that is that my reciever has the 30 MOA built into it rather than having a mount with it built in.
I don't think there are any reducers available for the Spuhr, but could be completely wrong.

36010787.jpg

I run the Spuhr 1.46" 0 MOA taper. Only reason for that is that my reciever has the 30 MOA built into it rather than having a mount with it built in.
I don't think there are any reducers available for the Spuhr, but could be completely wrong.

Russ,

Is this an SRS that you have with 30 MOA built in? If so, how do I get my A1 that is on order to have 30 MOA receiver? Would love to have 30 MOA built in so that I didn't have to run canted rings making clip-on NVDs difficult to use.

Thanks!

I would assume some of you ordered your chassis without the monopod; I'm wondering if anyone got the monopod, ended up wishing they left it off, and why?

No way that I would want it without it. Stows out of the way when not in use and cant imagine it adds a ton of weight. It makes the rifle rock solid on the bench or shooting prone.

I would assume some of you ordered your chassis without the monopod; I'm wondering if anyone got the monopod, ended up wishing they left it off, and why?

I bought my SRS without one about 3 years ago and finally ordered one in Dec. Still waiting for it to show up.....
My buddies rifle has the monopod and it is something I regret not buying when originally ordered. Fortunately my rifles receiver was already threaded for the part so I don't need to send it back to have it installed. I can tell you from experience that squishing sandbags is not a good replacement for the simple and lightweight monopod they offer. I've been trying that for some time and it just doesn't work as well as the pod on my buddies SRS.

Frank

Russ,

Is this an SRS that you have with 30 MOA built in? If so, how do I get my A1 that is on order to have 30 MOA receiver? Would love to have 30 MOA built in so that I didn't have to run canted rings making clip-on NVDs difficult to use.

Thanks!

Short answer is..... you don't. I was lucky enough to hold one of the PSR rifles hostage until Nick let loose of it. It was a requirement for them to have the full rail tapered rather than having a sloped base.

It's not an option and I am sure that it won't be an option in the future.

I had always been a bag shooter up until starting to work here for Desert Tactical. In short, the monopod is amazing. Micro an macro adjustments, A LOT more travel than you get with a standard bag, which is great for shooting down hill.

That said, I still carry a light bag in my pack. I was at a match this past weekend that had a stage with multiple targets and a time limit. The bag is faster. I wouldn't give up my monopod though. Wouldn't even consider it.

Do you have the S&B now? If you do my advise is go with a Spuhr mount SP-4802 44.4MOA cant in 1.46". You are going to need it in order to get the full use out of your S&B. If you buy the Badgers you will waste your money because of the flat rail on the DTA.
Sully

I do have the S&B 5-25x already. I was hoping to avoid the pricey Sphur's.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have a gen 2 srs 300 win or 338 lapua conversion that they no longer want or need? If so can you please PM me with round count and price you would sell it for. Thanks

Did a little playing around to get my covert to shoot better after some adivse from Russ. FYI, they hate 155 lapua. I didn't have any 175SMK. I used some 210 berger VLD. Nothing special until I seated into the lands .010". That closed up the group. First 3 shoot group was about 1/4moa. 6 shoot was about 1/2moa. Problem is I can't mag feed them at that length. I will have to wait for some 175SMK to be available unless someone wants to sell me some?
After this was done I decided to do a zero test. 5 shoot group with my 7WSM barrel, 5 shoot with 308 covert, 3 with 7WSM, 3 with 308 covert. This was while also swapping bolt, delta 3/4-24 to 5/8-24 adapter, AAC cyclone suppressor. Worst groups I shoot all day with the 7WSm, but they were within each other, maybe moved a bit higher. The 308 covert. Not a very good group either for the day. Must have been time for me to quit. It was tight enough with 8 shoots I couldn't tell each hit apart at all. I cursed with 2 shoots knowing I pulled them. The target was at 112 yards. Here is a picture. I pulled the sticker off to bring in for a reference in the future. One more note. I did adjust the 7WSM 1.2mil up from the 308 covert.

At any rate, here is my fun for the day.

Attachments

• IMG_20130311_183548.jpg
    IMG_20130311_183548.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 24

+1....BIG TIME!!!

DTA's warranty department is freakin' AWESOME!!! They fix your problem quickly and easily. My problems were minor, but they were major to me. They took care of each issue without EVER asking for one penny.

This is one reason why, DTA is the only rifle I shoot nowadays. It's that good!

+1....BIG TIME!!!

DTA's warranty department is freakin' AWESOME!!! They fix your problem quickly and easily. My problems were minor, but they were major to me. They took care of each issue without EVER asking for one penny.

This is one reason why, DTA is the only rifle I shoot nowadays. It's that good!

I have to jump on this wagon as well, Had a trigger shoe break.. don't know how or why but, called DTA and I had a new shoe within 3 days! no questions or anything! THAT'S service you just can't beat!!! FREE
Sully

What kind of loads are you guys using with your .308 Coverts? I know it has a 1-8 twist. I was thinking of using 208gr amax but don''t know which powder to use...

What kind of loads are you guys using with your .308 Coverts? I know it has a 1-8 twist. I was thinking of using 208gr amax but don''t know which powder to use...

I run M118LR out of it or for handloads I run Berger 185gr VLD with Varget both shoot 3/4 at 100 and 1/2-3/4 MOA out to 1k

Anyone know where to acquire dta scope mounts? If not, does anyone have experience with larue mounts on a dta?
I have had a 30moa on order for over 2 months... I was lucky enough to score a 20 moa from euro optic yesterday. They may still have some in stock. I won't need the 30 til the beast arrives in a few months so hopefully I will have it by then.

Although you should have no issues with heavies due to the 8-twist barrel, I have shot many different types of commercial ammo through my Covert and it performed extremely well with all of them:

Hornady 150 gr SST
CorBon 155 gr Scenar
FGMM 168 gr SMK
BlacK Hills 168 gr SMK
Hornady 168 gr A-Max
Black Hills 168 gr A-Max
FGMM 175 gr SMK
Black Hills 175 gr SMK
Applied Ballistics 175 gr Tactical
Black Hills 180 Nosler Accutip
CorBon 190 gr SMK

My guess is that it would be much harder to find a load that doesn't shoot well, as opposed to one that does.

I'm looking at purchasing a Covert but am worried about a couple things. With the receiver being made of aluminum and the trigger being made of plastic has anyone had problems with these parts? Are there any upgrades that would make these parts more solid or am I worrying about something I shouldn't be? Thanks a bunch guys, hope to be part of the club soon.