• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Just picked up a premier heritage 5-25. 28 mrad. Anyone know if I run it with a 20moa spuhr base if I can still have a 100 to 300 yard zero with my HTI?
Thanks
Zach

Just picked up a premier heritage 5-25. 28 mrad. Anyone know if I run it with a 20moa spuhr base if I can still have a 100 to 300 yard zero with my HTI?
Thanks
Zach

I have my PH on a Murphy 40 MOA base and still run a 100 yd zero. Mine's not on a DTA but I'm sure you'll be fine with just 20 MOA.

Got my HTI through Oakland tactical and my premier was used, or I Would have bought both from Oakland. Creature what height rings you running?

Will the NF ultra lite 1.375" be too low? Anybody tries this?

Way too low. I had the Near 1.35" and it was way too low to the point where I had to mash my face into the stock to see through the scope. You need something close to 1.5".

I'm running 1.49" Badgers which is ok. But I'm getting some Murphy custom 1.53" cut for my DTA.

Last edited:
Not really feeling the DTA love right now. I placed an order for a can several months ago before the mass DTA craze started from the A1. Was told the can was in hand and paperwork was going to start immediately and would be at my FFL in a month. Also ordered several other items including a 338 conversion. Just called today, 2 months after the can was supposed to arrive and when my conversion was due. 8 months on the can and 6 more months on the other items. It appears my stuff went to someone more important than me. It really sucks to be a firearms enthusiast nowadays...

Not really feeling the DTA love right now. I placed an order for a can several months ago before the mass DTA craze started from the A1. Was told the can was in hand and paperwork was going to start immediately and would be at my FFL in a month. Also ordered several other items including a 338 conversion. Just called today, 2 months after the can was supposed to arrive and when my conversion was due. 8 months on the can and 6 more months on the other items. It appears my stuff went to someone more important than me. It really sucks to be a firearms enthusiast nowadays...

So after you recieved the ATF approval, it has taken 8 months to deliver?

No my can was given to someone else obviously. 8 months til they get another one to ship me to my FFL. Plus another month to get to my FFL. Then another 6 months to get to me.

Shit is paid in full I might add.

Last edited:
No my can was given to someone else obviously. 8 months til they get another one to ship me to my FFL. Plus another month to get to my FFL. Then another 6 months to get to me.

Good friend of mine has the same story, ordered a can was told it was in stock and would shipped to his FFL. When he called a few months later to check on it he was told that it had been mistakenly sold to someone else.

Question on the Seekonk torque wrenches, I notice that the label on mine gives a calibration date in 2 months. Is this necessary or critical? Have any of you noticed this and did you have it done?
Sully

Question on the Seekonk torque wrenches, I notice that the label on mine gives a calibration date in 2 months. Is this necessary or critical? Have any of you noticed this and did you have it done?
Sully
We use torque wrenches (as well as various other tools and measurement devices) often at the company I work for. The "calibration" is just a method of validation and quality control used to verify that the tools and devices are operating within their given spec.

No need to worry here. Your Seekonk wrench isn't going to magically stop working once it is "out" of calibration. If you were operating a large company and had to "guarantee" that the parts that were going out your door were indeed "good" parts and within their own spec, you'd want to keep your tools calibrated.

Now if your slinging your wrench around in the mud day in and day out, you may want to have it calibrated to make sure it still torques correctly.

Could be worse. I waited 7 months to discover my FFL in Louisiana lost my paperwork, so it was never submitted. Then they filed for bankruptcy. Luckily it was only a Sparrow and not a Surefire or similarly-priced product.

Could be worse. I waited 7 months to discover my FFL in Louisiana lost my paperwork, so it was never submitted. Then they filed for bankruptcy. Luckily it was only a Sparrow and not a Surefire or similarly-priced product.
Damn that sucks man. You are right. It could be worse. I don't think DTA is going out of business anytime soon, and my FFL is my buddy. I was pretty pissed earlier. I'm back to loving my Covert. I guess I should be happy I at least got it! That's more than most have.

@ssnfa

Whats the turnaround time with Brothers Hydrographics? Are you pleased with how the work turned out?

That setup looks real real nice!! Considering something similar for mine... If it ever gets here... <sigh>

Thanks, I was just curious if in fact would loose it's torque spec's. I have 5 conversions and use it quite often. Checking Seekonk's site it cost about half of what a new wench cost to have done if I remember correctly.
Sully

We use torque wrenches (as well as various other tools and measurement devices) often at the company I work for. The "calibration" is just a method of validation and quality control used to verify that the tools and devices are operating within their given spec.

No need to worry here. Your Seekonk wrench isn't going to magically stop working once it is "out" of calibration. If you were operating a large company and had to "guarantee" that the parts that were going out your door were indeed "good" parts and within their own spec, you'd want to keep your tools calibrated.

Now if your slinging your wrench around in the mud day in and day out, you may want to have it calibrated to make sure it still torques correctly.

ssnfa, Looks awesome man. I'm curious of what the durability of the "dip" is compared to Cerakote

Thanks, I was just curious if in fact would loose it's torque spec's. I have 5 conversions and use it quite often. Checking Seekonk's site it cost about half of what a new wench cost to have done if I remember correctly.
Sully
I wouldn't worry about getting it re-calibrated. I guess it could be thought of as an "insurance" policy. I bet if you somehow stripped some threads (although unlikely) with an uncalibrated torque wrench, someone could try to get out of having to fix you up with warranty repairs. I highly doubt DTA would check something like that, and even if they did (again unlikely), they'd probably still fix the issue.

I highly doubt any of this would even happen in the first place...

Being a NFA guy I am good at "order and forget", but I think it was about a 21-25 day turn around.

End result is great. Good solid resonably priced work and good customer service to boot.
@ssnfa

Whats the turnaround time with Brothers Hydrographics? Are you pleased with how the work turned out?

That setup looks real real nice!! Considering something similar for mine... If it ever gets here... <sigh>

Took mine out to a buddies property yesterday. Thunderstorms and lighting but I managed to squeeze a few out to almost 1000 yards.

b040f7243d5ac6ab94aea300645b547a_zpsc53664e7.jpg

20130519_090217_zps2a0a58b4.jpg

966 yards, .243 shooting 105 Bergers.

100MEDIAIMAG0086_zps913db57b.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, soon to be DTA owner here. I haven't had a chance to look through all the thread, but what is the thought on running an 18" barrel with the covert handguard. My thought was just to get the muzzle out away from the scope objective a tad, as well as get a little bit extra velocity. Any downside to the 18 on the covert? Also, is DTA direct the best way to go for the covert handguard?

Lofty, the Kryptek looks great!

Hayden, don't worry about your objective on a 16" covert - no one seems to have problems with them. My objective w/4" sunshade lines up exactly with the end of the brake on my 16" barrel and I haven't had any problems (though the sunshade gives it a bit of stand-off distance). And since you're in KS, wouldn't you want to run a can on the end anyway?

Yeah I will likely run a can all the time with it. I thought the 18 might squeeze a little more performance out of it without affecting the OAL too much. I might just go ahead with the 16 and maximize the compactness and use a longer barrel for a more efficient caliber.

Let me put it to you this way: the 16" .308WIN is pretty much the only .308 barrel you'll need on your SRS. That thing is a friggin' laser and 2" more isn't going to make much of a difference. For magnum cartridges intended for shooting beyond 1000 yards, 18-20" is about as short as you'll want to go.

Thanks man, I will likely go with 16 and save the longer barrels for other calibers. Is DTA directly the best option for the covert handguard?

Well, if you can find a dealer that has one in stock, that's probably your fastest option but I haven't seen a lot of dealers stocking parts like that; mostly just conversions, rifles and some accessories. I'd give DTA a call.

I'm having problems finding mags for 300wm, anyone know of a source that has them in stock and offers expedited shipping?

Alternatively, anyone willing to loan/rent 2 for a week?

Thanks,

Vinson

Well, if you can find a dealer that has one in stock, that's probably your fastest option but I haven't seen a lot of dealers stocking parts like that; mostly just conversions, rifles and some accessories. I'd give DTA a call.

DTA quoted 3-4 months. If anyone has a suggestion it lead on where to find one I would really appreciate it.

As long as we are throwing our wish list out there, I'd like a 338lm conversion if anyone sees one available. There was one on gunbroker a few days after I ordered from DTA. I wish I would have snagged it.

I cut my SRS handguard off to covert size on a mill, rounded off the sharp edges with a drimel tool and then hydrocoated it and I think it looks fine.....and it was FREE!!

See pics above of the ATACS DTA.

I might actually have to resort to doing that. I will just have the covert length barrel but will be unable to shoot it without the covert handguard. I should have checked on handguard availability before ordering the covert barrel.

Hayden033 I see your a millet fan so I'm guessing that's what you will be running on your covert! You should be fine.

Is there a scope more deserving to sit atop a DTA than the millet? Don't try to tell me your USO wrapped in skateboard tape is superior, the millet has a larger tube...

I might actually have to resort to doing that. I will just have the covert length barrel but will be unable to shoot it without the covert handguard. I should have checked on handguard availability before ordering the covert barrel.

If you ordered that barrel from DTA, you may as well just order the handguard and have both in case you ever want nightvision. That barrel won't be showing up at your doorstep anytime in the near future.

If you ordered that barrel from DTA, you may as well just order the handguard and have both in case you ever want nightvision. That barrel won't be showing up at your doorstep anytime in the near future.

I ordered it through Mark at SAC he said its just be 2-3 weeks til ready to ship. The DTA I picked up here came with a caliber I don't plan on shooting so that's why I'm looking for the covert handguard. I will either have to get another barrel that will work with the longer handguard or just wait for the covert handguard to go with my short barrel.