• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

We also have a rail that is about 5” long essentially *goes from the trigger guard and takes up about 2 inches of the hand guard, for shooters who want arca mounting near the rifles balance point for shooting off a tripod.

Who would be interested in similar type rails for the A1 rifles?

I'd be into a short one for the A1. I'd be willing to bet my brother would too.

Looking for the 30mm reducers for the original 4 screw dta 34mm scope mount. Anyone have a set they would sale?? Thanks
I have looked in all the obvious places and can’t find my reducers. They must be in some unrelated box we haven’t unpacked yet. Have you been able to locate a set yet?

I’m trying to sort out demand for a couple DT related products.

We worked with Sawtooth Rifles to develop some ARCA rails for the A2. We have full length (basically from the end of the hand guard and reflexing back over the stock panels to the trigger guard) for the Standard length SRS and Covert. We also have a rail that is about 5” long essentially hose from the trigger guard and takes up about 2 inches of the hand guard, for shooters who want arca mounting near the rifles balance point for shooting off a tripod. This shorter rail will work with the A2 SRS, Covert, and even the M2.

Any interest in an ARCA rail for the HTI?

Would do 3 short for A1s and 1 for an HTI

Reactions: PRDRIVER
Couple updates for you guys. The elite iron leg extensions are superb. The guy claims he sells the 2-1/2 inch extensions at about three times the rate of the 1-1/2 extensions and I guess I see why. I got the one and a half for the SRS and the 2-1/2 for the HTI and I’m happy with that choice but the 1-1/2 don’t raise it very much, go figure, and the 2-1/2 would only be too high if you built a really low shooting position with your rifle so I’m going to recommend going with 2-1/2 leg extensions for your elite iron bipods.

Another thing, and you probably already discovered this, if you take a 12 gauge brush and wrap a small section of rag around it on a pistol rod, it is about the perfect size to clean out the bolt Raceway, which I have to do every time I go shooting in the desert like I did today, because of the dust and crud that accumulates in there. If it gets really dusty, I just take out the barrel and hose down the entire rifle in the backyard and then blow out the water with an air compressor and let it dry somewhere warm. I’ve been doing this for years and haven’t noticed any problems with rust or other crud accumulating in the chassis.

Finally, you can see in the picture that I run an MK machining sled in my SRS and I just sent Tyler a 375 magazine last week so he is going to be designing a single shot sled for the HTI. I find that I rarely run the mag, and I’m generally single feeding For most of my shooting, which is Long Range steel.

By the way, that’s my 10 year old 308 barrel that I got from PR driver and it has easily 6000 to 7000 rounds on it. Based on careful measurements over time, the throat has eroded 0.050 but it still shoots like a house on fire with a 178ELD powered by reloader 15 or VARGET getting 2650 to 2675 from a 22.5 inch barrel.
IMG_5008.jpeg

Last edited:
What I would like to see is a conversion kit for the HTI to use SRS conversions. sleeve the barrel and sleeve the bolt and make a striker longer where it engages the sear. The barrel would sit further back in the receiver. You could use a suppressor for shorter barrels. It can be made with three parts but it would be single feed. I would still want a mag adaptor. But I would be happy with a single feed.
That certainly sounds interesting. One issue you are going to have is the distance from the magazine to the breech of the chamber. For an SRS to run properly the tip of the projectile must enter the chamber before the cartridge is released by the magazine.

Someone might be able to make that work with a long cartridge like the 338 LM. I see it as a significant hurdle to running short action calibers in it.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t know many folks who would want a 20 lb plus rifle before optic in smaller calibers.

Reactions: BurtG
This has been discussed before. Many times.

That it has not been done is what is called in police work, a clue

• Haha
Reactions: Blueoval56
That certainly sounds interesting. One issue you are going to have is the distance from the magazine to the breech of the chamber. For an SRS to run properly the tip of the projectile must enter the chamber before the cartridge is released by the magazine.

Someone might be able to make that work with a long cartridge like the 338 LM. I see it as a significant hurdle to running short action calibers in it.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t know many folks who would want a 20 lb plus rifle before optic in smaller calibers.
my idea is as a trainer caliber. Most ranges you can't shoot 50 bmg. And the rifle in a smaller caliber is going to be shot on a bench at a 100 yard range. You pay big money for a 50 that you have to drive a long distance to shoot. I own the SRS and HTI. I will probably have the three parts made for a single shot. Take it out a couple times then put it in a box and forget about it. But then again I might take it out every time I go to a 100 yard range. I would have the king of the 223

Reactions: BurtG and PRDRIVER
IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4284.jpeg

Finally got out for some more testing today.
178 ELD-M’s with CFE223 patterned like a shotgun. Not sure if it’s the ELD’s or the CFE, but the 22” factory barrel hated that combo.

Second pic was 43.8grs of IMR8208xbr with a 155 Lapua scenar at 2850fps. Definitely pulled the one on the right, felt it immediately. ES 20, SD 7.9. Going to test that load a little more.

For the 178ELD out of a factory barrel, I highly recommend reloder 15 or VARGET in the range of 24 grains exactly LOL.

You might also try accurate 2520 especially because it’s easy to get compared to the alternatives

my idea is as a trainer caliber. Most ranges you can't shoot 50 bmg. And the rifle in a smaller caliber is going to be shot on a bench at a 100 yard range. You pay big money for a 50 that you have to drive a long distance to shoot. I own the SRS and HTI. I will probably have the three parts made for a single shot. Take it out a couple times then put it in a box and forget about it. But then again I might take it out every time I go to a 100 yard range. I would have the king of the 223
I had a theory that smaller caliber conversion kits for the HTI could be useful from a military standpoint. It seems like it should be possible to make a HTI in a .338 Lapua class cartidge close to the same weight as conventional magnum sniper rifles. Maybe an optional shorter handguard and less weight in the barrel (compared to the ELR/BMG calibers) would be enough.

If the weight could be kept down, the HTI would provide a huge range of options to a user that is planning on semi-auto rifles for smaller calibers and bolt actions for magnums.

Anyone successfully mount a PVS 30 on an A2 covert with a long mlok rail dovetailing out over the suppressor? Would there be enough clearance between the rail and suppressor? looking to upgrade if this would work. I have an A1 covert currently. If I use a shorter scope, I can fit the PVS but I prefer to leave my 5-25 nighforce mounted.

1697838422075.png

Not apples to apples comparison, but here's my Gen 1 Covert with a ClipNV-LR (similar length to PVS-30) in front of S&B 5-20x Ultra Short. Needless to say, I only shoot this combo suppressed. The Covert is just so damned short with a sub-20" barrel that your options are quite limited.

I created this video to share with you all how I started Desert Tech from scratch 18 years ago. Let me know how you like the video.

I am going to be creating more in depth videos like this that will take you behind the scenes information of my company and our products as well as lessons learned along the way. If you want to come along for the ride you can subscribe to my youtube channel or follow my other channels.

https://twitter.com/NicholasYoungDT
https://www.instagram.com/nicholasyoungdt/
https://www.facebook.com/nicholasyoungdt/

Last edited:

We worked with Sawtooth Rifles to develop some ARCA rails for the A2. We have full length (basically from the end of the hand guard and reflexing back over the stock panels to the trigger guard) for the Standard length SRS and Covert. We also have a rail that is about 5” long essentially hose from the trigger guard and takes up about 2 inches of the hand guard, for shooters who want arca mounting near the rifles balance point for shooting off a tripod. This shorter rail will work with the A2 SRS, Covert, and even the M2.

I would take a shorter one.

I created this video to share with you all how I started Desert Tech from scratch 18 years ago. Let me know how you like the video.

I am going to be creating more in depth videos like this that will take you behind the scenes information of my company and our products as well as lessons learned along the way. If you want to come along for the ride you can subscribe to my youtube channel or follow my other channels.

https://twitter.com/NicholasYoungDT
https://www.instagram.com/nicholasyoungdt/
https://www.facebook.com/nicholasyoungdt/

what's your youtube channel?

Reactions: Andrews50
Anyone successfully mount a PVS 30 on an A2 covert with a long mlok rail dovetailing out over the suppressor? Would there be enough clearance between the rail and suppressor? looking to upgrade if this would work. I have an A1 covert currently. If I use a shorter scope, I can fit the PVS but I prefer to leave my 5-25 nighforce mounted.
Kinda similar here’s my a1 with 4-16x42. Works for Utc xii prolly others too

9573F43B-0FAB-48DF-94EC-8A5FCE480BF5.jpeg

Or just get a Vudu 5-25

2DBF924F-CFB1-4304-8073-213C6D5C4BD9.jpeg

Hey guys if anyone comes across an HTI for sale, serial # HTI003390. It left our shop as an FDE colored HTI with a 50 BMG Conversion kit. This is now a stolen firearm. If we can recover the firearm, I'm willing to offer a reward.

Depending on what can you are running… my rail could work for you. Integral suppressor. But only works with 1.5” OD cans for now.

Attachments

• IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: SmimL7
How much? Sorry If it’s posted somewhere. I haven’t followed this thread for quite a few years.
No worries, I haven’t advertised them a whole lot. I am asking $300 for them. They are 12” long (same as the OEM) about 3.5-4oz lighter. Alot more sturdy. And feel a whole lot better holding the rifle in general especially when it gets cold. I belive the gun becomes more accurate off the bipod vs the OEM rail as well.

I have the M2 and a PVS-27 or PVS-30 with my Steiner M7 barely fits. With a covert I can't see it happening without going to a S&B Super Short or something like a Eotech VUDU. Those are both pretty petite scopes but also pretty secksy looking on a covert. When I say the words it sounds like I'm contemplating a rifle with achondroplasia but it actually looks good.

I'd be interested in a short rail for the A1, and an AL picatinny the same length as the DT polymer rail.

I am working with a barrel supplier to provide caliber swaps for the SRS. I don't have a HTI so can't be the guinea pig for that. I supplied the extension, extension wrench and specs. I sent him my bolt and next month I will have a Bartlein 1:8 300 PRC with only a 4 month wait. I will post updates as I know more.

I don’t understand - do you mean you found someone to make a custom barrel for you?

Did you try some of the established players first?

I don’t understand.

Reactions: BurtG
Huh interesting. My 22” factory 6.5 gun hated 140gr hornady ELD factory ammo.

I surprisingly had better luck with AAC 140gr SMKs, which is fine by me since they’re way cheaper haha.

Reactions: Aerem
Huh interesting. My 22” factory 6.5 gun hated 140gr hornady ELD factory ammo.

I surprisingly had better luck with AAC 140gr SMKs, which is fine by me since they’re way cheaper haha.
That’s interesting, mine was great with ELD-M. But, I am curious about the AAC SMK rounds. I’ll be Charleston next week, might have to get a few boxes for “science”. At barely over a dollar a round they’d be fun for plinking, even if they don’t produce the tightest groups.

Go 22 creed
I’m just tinkering.
Got a 338LM, 2 6.5 creed, and a .223, 2 chassis.
I effectively have a 250yd range locally.
It’s all just silly, but… what could I have custom chambered for maximum velocity from an available off the shelf ammunition that would feed from a magazine in one of these…

I don’t understand - do you mean you found someone to make a custom barrel for you?

Did you try some of the established players first?

I don’t understand.
I and some of my friends have ES tactical barrels they shoot fine but the wait is crazy. Another reputable maker in the mix can't hurt us users. Competition is the American way.

I am working with a barrel supplier to provide caliber swaps for the SRS. I don't have a HTI so can't be the guinea pig for that. I supplied the extension, extension wrench and specs. I sent him my bolt and next month I will have a Bartlein 1:8 300 PRC with only a 4 month wait. I will post updates as I know more.
We have a bunch of Proof Carbon barrels that are finished and drop in ready on the shelf in various lengths and calibers. If we don’t have what you want, but have a blank for it the wait is typically 4-8 weeks.

We are working on doing the same with custom steel barrels, we plan on having many options on the shelf and where lead times will hopefully be sub 1 month if we don’t have what you want.

Last edited:
In today's, "Holy hell, that's heavy!" files, I got set up for a shoot with some friends that's coming up. I wanted to see exactly how bad things would be. With my living situation I don't have a room for keeping a lot of stuff so the more I can put in once case, the better. This emptied out the ammo cans that I had full of 338 and .308 and what I had left of 223. There's roughly 130 rounds per chambering for those 3. I have one box of .338WM already at the shooting location. Keep in mind this is meant to sit in a safe on the farm. Space is at a premium there too. It keeps everything in one place and normally I'd just pull out the rifle and the barrel/bolt/mag set that I need. I don't need to keep a lot of ammo with it, just enough for a nice outing. There's a much more involved to get to place where I keep the deep stacks of ammo and when I burn some from the case I can replace it from back stock. It wouldn't make any sense for many other situations, for mine it's just the ticket.
screenshot-2023-10-30-at-12.18.30-pm.png

DT changed their webpage (finally) so you can actually see stuff decent - except for that annoying scroll-over effect which is super annoying. ANyway, I was scrolling and saw their 50 BMG ammo and if I zoom in on the box, it says velocity 2530, which seems way more realistic than the 2700 on the "specifications" section of the page. I wonder which is correct?

Last edited:
IMG_0998.jpeg
I have to say after having the opportunity to shoot these suppressed it’s really hard going back to just a muzzle brake. I’ll definitely be looking at some Black Friday suppressor deals. My poor sinuses can’t handle it.