• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Retumbo is another good option and will likely get you a bit more speed with less pressure than RL25, however I have yet to find a superior load with it.

I bought rl25 and imr4350 to give them a try with the 250 scenars. Now that I've thought of it a bit more, I wish I'd gotten the 4831sc vs the latter...but oh well. Guess I'll just have to do a lot of shooting and try that next.

Guys, please help with windage adjustment when zeroing scope on DTA SRS!

I've zeroed it on DTA SRS with 308 barrel, and am very happy about the results (pretty must all the holes touching, cover one cent at 96m laser-ed distance). So I assume - based on this - that (a) my scope is properly zeroed on the rifle, (b) 308 barrel is co-axial with the scope, and (c) my shooting technique/quality is acceptable.

Then I switched to 338 barrel (I had very little ammo to use, and I hoped that once the scope is zeroed to the rifle - barrel change would just mean some elevation correction). And now all my shots are hitting about 1" left at 96m! (I've got some vertical spread too of course - but that one I expected.)

My fear is that this means - 338 barrel is not coaxial with the receiver and with the scope, which in turn would mean - no accuracy long-range.

These were my first few shots with 338 LM, and I have never shot anything heavier than 308 until now.

I need to figure out three things:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]How likely is it to be an operator error (flinching or such and thus bringing shots to the left)? [*]If it turns out that indeed a different barrel in DTA SRS requires <span style="text-decoration: underline">lateral</span> scope adjustment - is it normal? Is it OK?[*]If it proves that indeed <span style="font-weight: bold">windage</span> (lateral) adjustment is necessary when switching barrels - does it mean this rifle won't be accurate with 338 because the barrel is not co-axial with the scope?[/list]
I don't need to tell you how new I am to long-range shooting in general, and to 338 in particular.

Please educate me!

Thank you!

Yes I'm zeroing at about 100 yd (LRF says it's 96 meters exactly). Will do the sandbag routine...

Is it typical for a novice to pull shuts to the left when switching to higher caliber with greater back-kick (like from 308 to 338 LM)?

The amount of impact shift that one gets depends on the receiver and barrels used. Generally if you took the same two barrels and swapped them back and forth in different receivers then they would have the same impact shift in both guns. The elevation impact adjustment is usually more than the windage, do not panic that there is windage impact shift your barrels will still shoot very accurately.

What it comes down to is the impact shift is a result of differences in barrel length, barrel stresses, projectiles, powder, velocity, barrel harmonics, and bullet drop. Realize that it is not unusual to shoot two different brands of the same caliber ammo and have one brand impact to the side of the other.

When I had my barrel 338 barrel and did the switching, there was a windage difference between the two.

I seem to remember LC mentioning this awhile back also.

Remember they say the zero should follow barrel, not the chassis. So each barrel will have a different barrel associated with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...do not panic that there is windage impact shift your barrels will still shoot very accurately.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I had my 338 barrel and did the switching, there was a windage difference between the two.</div></div>

Guys, <span style="font-weight: bold">thank you</span>! This is what I hoped to hear. (Especially since the 338 test-target from DTA showed a group I can only hope to achieve some day. On 308 I'm not <span style="text-decoration: underline">that</span> far from their test-target.)

Of course as long as it does not impact accuracy (i.e. as long as it does <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> mean that there would be divergence - like with each 100m further down the range the bullet would go 0.3mils more to the left because barrel is not parallel to the scope) I couldn't care less that there's windage zero correction, just like I don't care that there's elevation zero correction.

And Nick - you designed a great rifle!

P.S. I'd love if somebody could explain to me the physics and/or the logic of adjusting windage when zeroing the scope. I seem to be stuck on the idea that if windage needs adjustment - it means the barrel axis is not parallel to the scope axis, which in turn means difficulty in determining long-range adjustments (short of actually shooting each of the distances and finding out how far laterally the bullet impacts). Please help me to understand this puzzle, or point me at the resource that would make it clear. Thanks!

Any of you guys had pressure signs with RE25 in the 338 srs? At 91g of RE25, I had an issue with 1 of 4 cartridges. I've seen quite a few people going to 94 without issues, so didn't think I'd see it at 91. Also, for those of you using RE25, what coal are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys had pressure signs with RE25 in the 338 srs? At 91g of RE25, I had an issue with 1 of 4 cartridges. I've seen quite a few people going to 94 without issues, so didn't think I'd see it at 91. Also, for those of you using RE25, what coal are you using? </div></div>

With 250 SMKs I use 95gr of RL25 and COL 3.72

Using 3.685" with 94gr RL25 & 250 Scenar.

When I was developing that load it was hot but still not showing pressure signs. It wasn't until I started reloading the brass that I suddenly got sticky bolt. I don't know about other SRSs, but mine has a pretty tight chamber, so much so that I FL size only (ie no neck sizing) and bump the shoulder back closer to the dimensions of the virgin brass instead of the standard 0.002".

Mouse, I think you'll be fine. The key to the zero shift is that it's repeatable. All switch barrel designs that I've shot have had this issue - not just vertical adjustment.

Thanks Dogtown. I was thinking a full resize may have alleviated the issue, so I I'll give that a try.

As an aside, I really didn't like the IMR-4350 for my 308 as the results were a bit inconsistent. The RE15 and RE25 seem solid though, so I'll be sticking with those or perhaps some VV if I can get my hands on some locally so I don't have to pay the hazmat fee.

I had a revelation! Can't keep it to myself!
grin.gif

Barrel doesn't have to be parallel to the scope axis, as evidenced by introducing vertical bias. And it is perfectly OK. Accuracy doesn't suffer - just like it doesn't suffer when we put our scope on a 30 MOA base. Other corrections - trajectory in case of vertical or wind in case of lateral - are "layered" on top of those permanent corrections set at zeroing time.

I understand it now!!

And thanks to those who patiently helped me to see this Light!
smile.gif

Speaking of propellants - anybody here using Ramshot? Ramshot Magnum or Accurate Magpro?

Ok, apparently the case sizing isn't my issue. With the 338, I fire a cartridge and it doesn't eject. But...if I pull the bolt back and tip the gun up, the case slides right now. Thoughts?

Your extractor etc isn't broken in. At least thats what I was told when it happen to me.

Poison123,

Did the issue magically go away? I've never heard of an extractor/etc having to be broken in and not functioning when you first use it? I suppose if this happened every once in a while I perhaps could understand, but it's every time with the 338 (308 works perfect).

SR90 told me to just slam the bolt the round and it should get it better over a couple hundred rounds or so once its broken in.

I had this problem only with hornady factory ammo. Haven't tried shooting the hornady ammo since it happened but next time I get out to the range will bring it along and see if it works.

"just slam the bolt the round and it should get it better over a couple hundred rounds or so once its broken in"

REALLY??? That seems like an insane response to me. Basically saying my $6k rifle won't work properly until I put $400-$1000 worth of ammo through it!

I'm going to give them a call this week. The safety issue was a quick/easy fix, so hopefully I get something better than the above for this...

Here's exactly what he said.

"When closing the bolt on the SRS then forward pressure is required on the bolt handle prior to the bolt being rotated into battery this is cause by the ejector pins pressing against the case and the extractor claw being pushed outward and around the case lip. One theory might be that one of your reloads had a case head diameter larger than factory spec which would require more forward pressure to get the extractor claw to slide increased distance. If you didn't push forward harder to overcome the larger diameter case head it might appear that the bolt wouldn't close. As the gun becomes broken in then the extractor and ejector pins will not be as stiff and the problem you experienced should not occur.

My best advice is to not baby the bolt and run that sucker hard every time."

Basically could have been something wrong with the brass, but its done it on FGMM, Lapua Brass, etc.

*shrugs* Hasn't done it in the past couple hundred rounds after I started being a little meaner to the bolt.

Here are a few pics from the midwest too.....
This is the 510 suppressed. We were shooting at 5/16" AR500 steel plate at 250yds. All the incindiery's flashed on impact and much to our surprise some of the API's or APIT's actually punched some holes in the armor plate. One penetrator stuck halfway through the plate. Not bad for subsonic .50 cal bullets. The SRS works great with this round and I think the Covert will be even better due to the shorter shroud allowing a shorter barrel.
Frank

First pic is one of the APIT's leaving a bit of a trace.
510apitinflight.jpg

This one is a pic of the penetrator stuck in the armor plate.
AR500armorplatewith510Wpenetratorstuckfrom250yds3.jpg

Mine has trouble extracting Hornady super performance 308 rounds, but works fine on Black Hills ammo. Also had soft primer strikes, where the rounds didn't fire. I cleaned the bolt and worked a little oil around the extractor, and haven't had anymore issues. Shoots great.

Was looking at the SRS Covert. Like the idea of a short rifle.

Question: anyone out there every shot this thing unsuppressed?

I am in CA and would need to have it configured unsuppressed. Also, assume you need to have a muzzle brake on it to meet the 26" overall length, which would add to the noise factor.

Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

I've no clue on DTA Covert.

My DTA SRS has both barrels 26" long.
smile.gif

It still is quite short, especially compared to others' AI, Rem 700, etc.
smile.gif

I've shot it in 308 (unsuppressed & no brake) and 338 LM (unsuppressed, with muzzle brake). It is fine. Yes 338 LM is loud. But - using hearing protectors - it is tolerable.

Danny, the Covert w/o suppressor is still within legal OAL limits.

Never mind - was able to find OAL of 28.25."

Dogtown - thanks. Do you know what the overall length is on the covert without muzzle brake by chance?

Thanks,
Danny (another southern california guy)

Another quick question on the DTA SRS Covert....since I will be shooting it unsuppressed primarily, it sounds like it will be loud, but tolerable, even if the blast is pretty close.

I don't need a brake on the .308 round (not worried about muzzle rise), but would welcome thoughts on something like the Noveske KX3 or alternative as a means as pushing out the sound/blast a bit down range. I know a lot of folks run them on SBRs and AR pistols and have mixed thoughts.

Apologize in advance if 1) this has been covered elsewhere; and/or 2) this isn't the correct thread for this topic.

Danny, there is no need to add any muzzle device to the Covert. Standard hearing protection is more than enough for it.

I have both shot and watched it being shot. Not bad at all.

Nick, do you recommend muzzle brake on SRS in 308? (Unfortunately suppressor is not an option in my lovely East Coast state of MA - or that's what I'd use.)

If so - does it make sense to move the brake between 338 and 308 barrels, or better to get a dedicated one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick, do you recommend muzzle brake on SRS in 308? (Unfortunately suppressor is not an option in my lovely East Coast state of MA - or that's what I'd use.)

If so - does it make sense to move the brake between 338 and 308 barrels, or better to get a dedicated one? </div></div>

I move my brake from my 338 to my 243. It is really easy and no idea if it is a good idea or not but my 243 shoots really well with it on. I would say that I really have no idea what I am doing yet and still on a learning curve.

For what it's worth, the DTA brake is also pretty effective at flash suppression. Last month Fredo and I did some night shooting and even with long exposure photography I couldn't capture much of a flash.

Here are the spec's on the covert
Overall Length with covert brake 27.44"
Overall Length without brake 26.75"
Weight 9.38 lbs with empty mag

We have shot 100's of rounds through the covert prototypes and they don't need brakes, recoil is minimal.

1. Do I need to re-zero with a brake? <span style="font-style: italic">I think not - but it doesn't hurt to ask (and it saves ammo).</span>

2. What kind of chamber brush should I use (for 308 and for 338)? Any reference or a pointer or a URL to like MidwayUSA item?

Thanks!

If you install a brake it will likely change your point of impact slightly.

sr90...what's the accuracy like on the 50bmg? and have you guys developed/tested the 408/416 yet?

We have been testing 375CT and it's fantastic, the 50 BMG is averaging 1 MOA with GOOD factory match ammo, with our handloads we are easily 1/2moa with 50 bmg. The 408 is next in line and the 416 will be last. The 408CT shouldn't have any problems but, we've never shot the 416.

Picked up a 338/308 deployment kit yesterday from Ray's Sporting Goods in Dallas. Took a S&B 5x25 PMII off of my AW-50 and mounted it on the SRS w/the 338L barrel. Cheekweld w/supplied 40MOA scope mount is fine for me.

Balance is exceptional. Need to experience to appreciate the handling characteristics of this weapon system. Can't wait to do some range work.

Thanks to DTA for the great work!

SLN...I'm sure you're tired of that aw50 since you've moved on to the DTA, so if it's taking up too much space in your gun cabinet, I'd be more than happy to store it for you:)

BTW...you probably have some good ranges up in the big d area, but if not they just started a 1000 yard range in Liberty Hill here near Austin. Looks like a really nice place for all types of shooting...

I've weighted DTA SRS and AICS - each one with 26" 308 barrel, with 5-round loaded mag, with Vortex Razor HD scope and Atlas V8 bipod.

Both came to exactly 8.1 kg. However SRS feels much lighter in my hands - must be because of its friendlier balance.

It seems compact and the balance is very good. I think my 338SRS comes in about 3 1/2 pounds less than my 338AW(folding stock).

Hope it will improve my positional shooting. I'm looking forward to shooting nilgai with it in South Texas around the first of the year.

My accuracy with SRS (pretty much out of the box) is better than with AICS - despite longer AICS experience.

HTI photo offhand rest on .308 Mag/Belt pouch. More pic and video soon.
e3753fcd.jpg

Nice Fredo. Can you maintain 1/2MOA offhand at 1000 yards with the 50BMG:)

The series of photo's was to gauge the HTI in the Gen 1 gunslinger minus the harnesses attached to an Eagle plate carrier. The above was an "Can you acquire offhand?" photo.

Most people who have shot .50's know this isn't the preferred or effective firing position.

But... we got a bet going now. Sounds like I get a free salad at hooters if I get 3 consecutive hits on a IPSC torso at 1000 yards offhand with the 60 pouch on the carrier as a front elbow rest.

This is the .375, but I'll try it with the .50BMG.
Stand by.
smile.gif
and here are the other photo's.

62067_130729216975737_100001159782241_150903_1542616_n.jpg

62067_130729226975736_100001159782241_150905_3856953_n.jpg

Ummmm, who eats salads at Hooters?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The series of photo's was to gauge the HTI in the Gen 1 gunslinger minus the harnesses attached to an Eagle plate carrier. The above was an "Can you acquire offhand?" photo.

Most people who have shot .50's know this isn't the preferred or effective firing position.

But... we got a bet going now. Sounds like I get a free salad at hooters if I get 3 consecutive hits on a IPSC torso at 1000 yards offhand with the 60 pouch on the carrier as a front elbow rest.

This is the .375, but I'll try it with the .50BMG.
Stand by.
smile.gif
and here are the other photo's.

I'll bring the Habenero Dressing and Peppers!

62067_130729216975737_100001159782241_150903_1542616_n.jpg

62067_130729226975736_100001159782241_150905_3856953_n.jpg

</div></div>