• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

Right below the plate carrier, there is a roll of fat the size of a motorcycle tire.

So they offered a salad instead of chicken wings and beer.

So what does the other guy get if you lose the bet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doodle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does the other guy get if you lose the bet? </div></div>

............his way with Fredo???

Desert Tactical Arms Covert .308 Win (7.62 x 51mm). First production run test.

During the prototype development and testing and evaluation of the Desert Tactical Arms SRS, several configurations of a shorter variant of the rifle were conceived. It became necessary to develop a DTA rifle that could adequately address multiple real life scenarios that would require an extremely accurate, reliable, compact, suppressed or unsuppressed version of the SRS for special applications. These discussions were the beginning of what is now a remarkable production rifle offered by Desert Tactical Arms, The Covert.

Whether you are watching a shooter pick a DTA Covert up off a weapon rack in an armory, the floor or ground of a firing position, the tailgate of a pickup or from a demo table, the urge to grin along with a cunning gaze overcome all who handle it.

When the covert is readied, it is as familiar and ergonomic as a short barreled M4 or Mk18. The choice of barrel was dedicated for subsonic ammunition, we soon found accuracy of the 1-8 twist, 16" barrel bolt gun, with both full value and subsonic ammunition was fantastic. The overall length of an MP5 A3, with the additional capability and power of the .308 Win (7.62 x 51 mm). A six round magazine capacity and all the mission specific ammunition readily available for the cartridge, the Covert is unmatched in a class it's developers have created.

Three Covert barrels taken from the first production run, produced the following three shot groups and a forth single shot on a target to verify zero at 100 yards for the barrel we chose to take to the range.

3coverttestgrps.jpg

1shotzero.jpg

Total round count on barrel when we started the test was six. Our intention was to get a couple hits on steel at 600, 800 and 1000 yards, then shoot groups on paper targets at those same ranges to measure the groups maximum spread and vertical dispersion. We would photograph the groups progression and account for each shot during the shoot.

Conditions:

Grantsville, Utah

ASL: 4203
Temp: 88
Baro: 30.2
Humidity: 19%
Wind: 3mph 9 O'clock
Position: Prone, bi-pod
Optic: NightForce
2.5 - 10 x 32 NXS Std. Mildot
Significant mirage

Day 2

ASL: 4203
Temp: 46
Baro: 30.1
Humidity: 33%
Wind: 3-5 3 O'clock
Position: Prone, bi-pod
Optic: NightForce
Mildot 5.5 - 22 x 50 NXS MLR
No mirage

Total shots fired during two days was eighty seven rounds. Including twenty one rounds of seven types of factory ammunition we chronographed for the iPhone App: "Ballistic: Field Tactical Edition" ballistic computer program. Using this program, the first shot at 1000 yards was about .25 Mil off. We choose the 167 grain Lapua Scenar for the recorded groups.

The vertical dispersion was most impressive at 800 yards. Nine of ten shots within four inches.

800Yrds.jpg

Sixteen of twenty shots within ten and a half inches at a thousand yards was almost as surprising.

1000Yrds.jpg

Groups were measured by largest spread, vertical dispersion and some smaller clusters in the groups were noted.

Five pounds lighter, more then six and a half inches shorter then bolt action and semi-auto platforms with 16" barrels. The Covert's size is better compared with an MP5 then other .308 Win (7.62 x 51 mm) caliber rifles systems.

CovertandMP5.jpg

Weight w/o Suppressor: 9.7 lbs
Weight w Suppressor: 10.9 lbs
LOA w/o Suppressor: 28.25"
LOA w Suppressor: 33.75"
Barrel Length: 16" Fluted
Rate of Twist: 1 in 8
Magazine Capacity: 6
Method of Operation: Bolt Action
Finish: Hard Coated Anodizing, Cera Kote.
Stock: Glass-Filled Polymer

Covertwcan.jpg

Ultra high strength steels, aircraft grade aluminums, high impact resistant polymers, abrasion and erosion resistant coatings make the Covert a top contender for anyone contemplating purchasing a tactical weapon system.

Match grade chamber, free float barrel, crisp high quality match trigger which has length and weight of pull adjustment, allow the Covert to achieve the accuracy it's capable of.

The option of caliber conversion with solid return to zero for each previously zeroed barrel, a design that maximizes operator mobility in and out of vehicles, buildings, confined spaces and firing positions, puts the Desert Tactical Arms .308 Win Covert in a class by itself.

CovertRussRFHTIBackgroundJPG.jpg

With the exception of the ejection port, the operating mechanisms are completely encased in the stock, eliminating the need for any bedding interface. The magazines have a shoulder retention feature that prevents projectile tips from contacting the front of the magazine during recoil. The four inch internal magazine length allows longer, heavier projectiles, like the .338 Lapua Magnum to be loaded out further then any other magazine available. With the correct powder for the projectile weight and room for more of it, velocity increases are substantial and maximize the cartridges potential.

Desert Tactical Arms and a few talented customers have developed additional caliber conversions which, like the Covert are developed for use with both full value and subsonic ammunition. Specific barrel twist rates to optimize projectile stability. Calibers from 6mm to .338 as well as a suppressed 12.7 x 48 mm (.510) are yet another benefit of the receiver designed for caliber conversions.ammunitions we chronographed from the 16" barrel were as follows.

The average velocities from the limited shots of several factory ammunitions we chronographed from the 1-8 twist, 16" barrel were as follows.

Corbon 175grain 2,416 FPS
Corbon 185grain 1,035
Federal Premium 175grain 2,542
Hornady TAP 168 A-Max 2,494
Lapua Scenar 167grain 2,592
RUAG 168grain 2,430
Talon 175grain 2,514
White feather

Covert308Leftsideammo2.jpg

Great news on the launch.

For any Europeans interested in this rifle, I have had them on back order for some time and the first deliveries should be in our next batch of rifles.....

Exciting times.

Ewen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ewen - how much? lead times? options? calibres? </div></div>
+1

Fredo,

Incredible info...thanks for the post!!! I just received the "call" from Ethan a couple days ago and my Covert is (or will be) on the way shortly. One thing I did differently was to have the Covert chassis shipped with the SRS standard 22" .308 barrel. At the same time, I ordered a 16" conversion barrel from Bobby at FGW. The main difference is that the 16" will have a 1 in 8" twist, instead of 1 in 11.25". My thought was that the higher twist might give a little bit better stabilization to 175 gr (or higher) rounds past 800. After seeing your post, perhaps that was unnecessary. Any thoughts or personal experience from testing on what I might expect from a 16" 1 in 8" twist barrel?

BTW: that's not a motorcycle tire...it's an "Offhand Weapon Stabilization Platform" (LOL)

gstaylorg
The faster twist rate would allow you to experiment with heavier bullets at subsonic speeds in a "very" compact platform...

Basraboy
PM to follow

JP67
PM to follow

regards

Ewen

Thanks Ewen. Ive thought about subsonic, will probably do more with that in the future. I'm more curious initially about how the 16" - 1 in 8" twist might be expected to perform with a round that is a little lighter such as the Hornady Superformance 150 gr SST. My earlier thought was that getting a couple or three hundred "extra" fps might make a difference with the 16" barrel. However, after seeing Fredo's chrony data this morning, maybe it won't matter. The drop in muzzle velocity was not as high as I thought it might be, it looks like maybe only 100 - 200 fps compared to the factory values at most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Offhand Weapon Stabilization Platform(</div></div>

rofl, it will be now. Some ninja just told me it's possible. I am more confident now.

Have one of these on order from Alan at Top Notch...can't wait.

It's been fun testing. Suppressors, HTI and conversions write up soon. Will have similar shorter soft Cases for the Coverts soon.

Just got another shipment of SRS Soft cases and Mag pouches, they are in stock at DTA now and can be used for several rifle types.

SoftCaseOpen-LR.jpg

SoftCaseAll-LR.jpg

SoftCaseOpenAccessories-LR.jpg

MagPouchFilled-LR.jpg

MagPouchesAll.jpg

MagPouchBack-LR.jpg

ooohhhh, awwwww, MultiCam. Extremely Snipery.

Looks liks some good gear Fredo. Thanks for all the info.

More sexy. Here is the Covert with the DTSS (Desert Tactical Sound Suppressor) brake and can next to my LMT .308 MWS.

Covert with (DTSS) Brake next to LMT .308 MWS
CanOffCovertCompair-LR.jpg

Covert with DTSS (Desert Tactical Sound Suppressor) next to LMT .308 MWS
CanOnCovertCompair2-LR.jpg

Man that Covert is sexy! I didn't realize how much I'd like that little guy until we started playing with the prototypes and shot them all the way to 1150 yards. It is as accurate as the full size SRS, if not even more accurate because of the shorter barrel.

nick why you gotta say that shit after i've been luggin the SRS around for three weeks

LOL, the cool thing is you can drop the 338LM barrel in the covert too! You'll have problems mounting your MUNS on the covert though.

yeah i have to be able to use NV but i really enjoyed shooting that little guy when louis brought it to bull hill. it would be the PERFECT little hunting rig, or LEO rig. can't think of a better weapon for urban stuff.

We are going to be offering a 16" barrel for the 338LM which will easily go to 1500 yards.
laugh.gif
Then you can shoot both full power and subsonic loads with the same gun. You want to go 2K then throw the 26" 338LM barrel in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ewen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
JP67
PM to follow
regards

Ewen </div></div>

Stil waiting
Thanks

I received my SRS Thursday. Was planning on using a SN9 scope on it but there is a problem with the scope itself and it will have to go somewhere to be fixed. I'd like to start load development and have a NF 12x42 NXS I can mount.
So 1st off what ring height do I need to amount the NXS to keep a good cheek weld?
2nd question is I like the idea of the Vltor Mod Pod to keep the rifle low. I'm not sure that the fiber glass legs of the Mod Pod will stand up to 338LM. My 2n question is basically what Bipod and why? You should know I've got four Harris bipods in the shop and don't like them. That's why they’re in the shop and not on a rifle. Looking for a rock solid mounting and stable bipod set up. Mostly shooting 1000 yard and hopefully a mile later this year so stability is a must. Cant and swivel are a plus but not a deal buster at this time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I received my SRS Thursday. Was planning on using a SN9 scope on it but there is a problem with the scope itself and it will have to go somewhere to be fixed. I'd like to start load development and have a NF 12x42 NXS I can mount.
So 1st off what ring height do I need to amount the NXS to keep a good cheek weld?
2nd question is I like the idea of the Vltor Mod Pod to keep the rifle low. I'm not sure that the fiber glass legs of the Mod Pod will stand up to 338LM. My 2n question is basically what Bipod and why? You should know I've got four Harris bipods in the shop and don't like them. That's why they’re in the shop and not on a rifle. Looking for a rock solid mounting and stable bipod set up. Mostly shooting 1000 yard and hopefully a mile later this year so stability is a must. Cant and swivel are a plus but not a deal buster at this time.
</div></div>
DON...i've got your solution right here... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078633

Thanks but I have the same scope already. I'm waiting to here back from USO as to how/who to have it repaired. Had the scope for over a year waiting on the SRS and it broke on the 12'th shot. Not happy at all but that's how it goes. REally don't think I want to sink more money into a scope that only last 12 shots.

Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I received my SRS Thursday. Was planning on using a SN9 scope on it but there is a problem with the scope itself and it will have to go somewhere to be fixed. I'd like to start load development and have a NF 12x42 NXS I can mount.
</div></div>
DON...i've got your solution right here... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2078633 </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

My situation is a little different than yours (Covert in .308) but I looked at a lot of bipods including the Vltor. Ultimately decided on the Atlas V8 for the following reasons. Because the foregrip/rail on the Covert is so short, I wanted the legs out front as far as possible for balance, which the 45 degree forward position will do nicely. Also, I will ultimately probably get a .338 conversion kit and as you pointed out, that will require some strength in the bipod. The Atlas is pretty (very) solid. The only downside is the current 6-8 wk lead time for the QD mount. Fortunately, I was able to order a second one in the bolt mount that will be here Tuesday. When the QD arrives, the bolt mount will go on another rifle, so it definitely won't be wasted and I can start sending some rounds downrange without having to use any of my (several) Harris bipods. If you decide to go with the Vltor and find it does the job well, definitely let us know. Good luck!

If you're already doing a 338 in 16 for the covert, you may as well add the 375 and 50:) Now THAT would be the ultimate in urban combat weapons! Nobody sees you...and suddently the building implodes...

Seriously though, I really didn't see the point in the Covert, but I may have to get one after the HTI now as I'm coming around.

Thinking about getting the RND unit that's like the Vltor Mod Pod. But that's a lot of money for a bipod. Could buy three Vltor's for the price. I'd feel better if I could see one of the RND units even better if I could use one. I've got a Atlas on my GAP Templar and like it alot. I'll have to think about the rail mount and atlas but it would seem to jack up the rifle a little bit higher than I want. Trying to keep the SRS as low as posible for bench use and I can extend the legs for belly shooting.

My guess on the rings is I need something like extra highs like on a flat top AR but would like someone thats faced that problem to chime in. I'm trying to gage what others are using with a NXS and how their cheek weld and eye alignment works for them.

Donald

The point in the covert is MOBILITY. Make is lighter, quieter, and smaller.
laugh.gif

Can one convert a regular SRS into a covert?

The SRS hand guard is 5" longer then the muzzle of the 16" barrel. You would have to order a new hand guard and cut it short.

Would it be possible to use 375 CT with SRS (rather than HTI)?

There are a few people who have. Last I heard they had no problems. When I personally inquired about my own .375 in SRS chassis, the minimum safe O.D. Of the chamber was .11 less then suggested. DTA will not warranty your SRS chassis if you decide to do this. Just wait for HTI, what you have seen from the ptototye will have significant changes and be worth the option to shoot .50 BMG from.

I wonder who makes 375 CT conversion kits for SRS... Not that I plan to do it yet - but good to know what the options are (in addition to 260 Rem and 7WSM currently available). <span style="font-style: italic">You can PM if uncomfortable discussing it in public.</span>

Yeah I hear you re. HTI, and indeed it would be nice (and it would also allow 406 CT).
<span style="font-weight: bold">But</span> it's a whole another multi-$K setup - I need another year to recover from this SRS hit!
cry.gif
And believe or not - but I personally don't care much for 50BMG. Plus I have a feeling that I wouldn't like its recoil one single bit, compounded by my slim body mass
wink.gif
. Not to mention that I was trained in the doctrine that using rocket-propelled grenades was the right way to deal with vehicles and armored targets
smile.gif

I'd love the HTI with 375/406 - but that's not in the near (financial) future. Unless DTA wants me to beta-test?
grin.gif

I haven't heard of a .406 or .375/406. There are .408's.

If you start a topic in Over 1000, someone will be able to direct you to those who have .375's in SRS Chassis.

The day the SRS comes with 10rd mags for 308 will be the day I buy one
wink.gif

One day soon hopefully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SRS hand guard is 5" longer then the muzzle of the 16" barrel. You would have to order a new hand guard and cut it short. </div></div>

The question then becomes can you buy the covert hand guard separately to convert a regular SRS to the Covert. If DTA offered that option, that would make the platform really flexible.

My understanding is that the two handguards are not interchangeable between chassis. For that reason, I went with the Covert chassis so that I could have the "standard" 22" barrel as well as the 16".

Larger magazine capacity has been requested before and is being addressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larger magazine capacity has been requested before and is being addressed. </div></div>

Well, there's some good news

Now hopefully it won't cost a arm and a leg.

Hiya all. Long time lurker but first post here.
I received my 308 SRS a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately I had the "non monopod" buttpad on it, so I couldn't lock the buttpad in place since I had the monopod version of the gun.
After an email to DTA they sent me a new one and it arrived to europe in just a week! So the talk about good DTA customer service is well deserved imo.

Anyways I am currently looking for a bipod for the gun. Has anyone had experience with this one on SRS:
http://www.rndrifles.com/accessories/rnd102/#more-54
I am curious about top mounted bipods but there isn't much choice on the market. Somehow the SRS feels like it could use a top mounted bipod, dunno why.

(Warning! Checking the rifle pics on that site might make you want to spend a few thousand bucks on a semi auto...)

look into accushot bipods, my favorite by far and i have one on all my personal and work guns.

Vcutter,

I just received an Atlas V8 from the tooth fairy (aka UPS) last night that will go on an SRS Covert. After fondling it for a while, I think it will do everything I'd hoped. Nice range of adjustments and VERY solid. It's not a top mount, but you might take a look as this as it seems to me to be a big step up from the Harris bipods I have and is about midway in between the price of a Harris and the RND bipod you listed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look into accushot bipods, my favorite by far and i have one on all my personal and work guns.</div></div>
I love Accu-Shot (aka Atlas) bipod and find it more comfortable and effective (for me at least) than Harris.

what's the best place to buy the atlas bipods?

To save you time chasing other threads - Kasey at Accu-Shot was my source for Atlas, and I'm extremely happy with both Kasey and the bipod. BTW Kasey designed it.

I typed the wrong twist rate for the 16" bbl specifications on the Covert Article, I have corrected that.

The barrels were designed for and we used the 1-8 twist which is the standard conversion package for the the Covert.

In addition, we have 220 grain subsonic loads testing now and will be posting results soon.

Two naive questions.

1. Does subsonic ammo make sense only if you have a can? Will it help reducing significantly/considerably (i.e. to make it worthwhile) sonic signature of a shot? <span style="font-style: italic">I can't explain/define what <span style="text-decoration: underline">significant</span> should mean in this context - please help me out.</span> I know about supersonic crack, just never experienced hearing shots with subsonic rounds.

2. Would 26" 308 barrel in my SRS stabilize bullets as heavy as 220gr well enough? <span style="font-style: italic">I believe it has 1:11 twist, hopefully sr90 or Fredo could correct me.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">P.S. Assuming rifling twist 1:11 and applying Miller Stability Formula (Bryan Litz book, page 533
smile.gif
), it looks like for .308 Berger 210gr VLD bullet SG = 1.43 which is sufficient (1.04 if launched subsonic at 1100 fps). For Sierra 240gr MatchKing SG = 1.35 (marginal stability for long range at supersonic speed with acceptable safety margin of 0.35, but dropping to 0.99 if launched subsonic). So I ass-u-me (not knowing bullet length) that for 220gr stability could be OK. Bryan, thanks for a wonderful book!

P.P.S. I've never heard of 1:8 twist for .308 barrels. What's the point of spinning bullets (with mass probably between 150gr and 240gr) so fast? Or is it specifically to stabilize subsonic?</span>