• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which one did you use for that really exceptional report you posted recently?</div></div>

The 1-8 twist 16" Covert barrel, which is the barrel the Covert comes with when you purchase it.

The website was incorrect and they have been informed.

The Covert barrels are all 1-8 twist, subsonic ammunition use was the intent during design. We were surprised it fired lower weight projectiles as accurately as it did, so we shot a large variety of .30 cal projectile weights and continue to test those which we haven't fired yet. To date 167gr to 220gr are stable and effective with these velocities and this twist rate. More to come.

DTA stocks .308 22" 1-11 Twist which are standard for SRS conversion package.

DTA stocks .308 16" 1-8 Twist which is standard for Covert conversion package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Does subsonic ammo make sense only if you have a can?</div></div> Primarily, yes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (1-8 Twist) is it specifically to stabilize subsonic?</div></div> It was initially designed for use with subsonic ammo. We found, despite popular opinion, it stabilizes the vast majority of full value .308 ammunition past 1000 yards.

That makes a lot of sense and thanks a bunch Fredo, I appreciate the info.

PM sent.

Want to know how many of guys have ordered NEW barrels using the OLD barrel extensions? If so, what has your price been running? Can't see paying $1200+ for a new barrel and extension every time I want something new! Thanks

I disagree with the statement that subsonics are primarily only for cans. I started loading 180 gn ss for my boys to shoot 308 and I also have ended up really enjoying them! It is quiet, very easy on the ears and great practice for long range shooting. The drop is huge so you must have a ton of holdover. To date our longest shot has been 500 yards.The accuracy has also blown me away, they shoot damn good. Subsonics work great for "urban interface critter gettin". I am fortunate enough to live where I could shoot deer right from the porch and a 180 ss to the head would be quite effective! Currently we use a Rem sps tactical (1-12) but I think a covert is in our near future(Curse you DTA and fredo, you are going to wreck my bank account!!! ;))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irisharrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want to know how many of guys have ordered NEW barrels using the OLD barrel extensions? If so, what has your price been running? Can't see paying $1200+ for a new barrel and extension every time I want something new! Thanks </div></div>

Reusing the extensions is not a problem.

If you want/need a new barrel, talk to the boys at APA. They will take care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I disagree with the statement that subsonics are primarily only for cans. I started loading 180 gn ss for my boys to shoot 308 and I also have ended up really enjoying them! It is quiet, very easy on the ears and great practice for long range shooting. The drop is huge so you must have a ton of holdover. To date our longest shot has been 500 yards.The accuracy has also blown me away, they shoot damn good. Subsonics work great for "urban interface critter gettin".</div></div>
Thank for for sharing your experience. I must say that I personally don't care for subsonics as a long-range simulation tool: IMHO 22LR works better for that - and cheaper. My main interest in subsonic rounds is noise reduction. So I wonder how quiet they are - by how much do they reduce the audio signature (e.g. do you still need hearing protection?). <span style="font-style: italic">I suspect the only way fo me to know is to get or load some <span style="text-decoration: line-through">sobsonics</span> subsonics and try them at the range.</span>

P.S. Poison, thanks for the hint on barrel extension reuse. <span style="font-style: italic">Though I'm still rather far from needing to replace the barrel.
smile.gif
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been fun testing. Suppressors, HTI and conversions write up soon. Will have similar shorter soft Cases for the Coverts soon.

Just got another shipment of SRS Soft cases and Mag pouches, they are in stock at
MagPouchFilled-LR.jpg

MagPouchesAll.jpg

MagPouchBack-LR.jpg

</div></div>

Are the mag pouches ready?

Now if they could good working mags
smirk.gif

Yeah Pouches and Soft cases are in stock. Tons of new mags in stocks now as well.

Poison, if you have a mag issue send me a PM, I'll get you a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah Pouches and Soft cases are in stock. Tons of new mags in stocks now as well.

Poison, if you have a mag issue send me a PM, I'll get you a new one. </div></div>

Thanks Fredo. I've got 3 that giving me issues with loading 5 308s in them and not releasing the rounds or nose diving. Different brass both reloaded and factory.

But....let me do some more tests this weekend to see if the problem keeps up.

Just became really apparent after playing with some AW mags this past friday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now if they could good working mags
smirk.gif
</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">What kind of issues have you had with the mags?</span>

ETA: Nevermind. Answered in previous post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonestar2436</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wish these could be acquired in left hand. I would buy one immediately. </div></div>

You can shoot the DTA left handed.. Granted it’s not ideal.. But this guy working it pretty good and he's left handed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A2O565kBkQ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He is right handed. </div></div>

He only says it twice in the video that he's not lefthanded
smile.gif

Decided to just get the harris bipod. My wife always tells me I can't have the best/most expensive in everything I buy, so I'm trying that theory out to see how it goes. Gotta say I'm pretty excited to get a bipod on my srs too. I use the sandbags at the range, but it's very difficult to keep the cant the same...so I'm anxious to see if it improves my accuracy by maintaining the cant of the rifle better...

Millsd - our wives must be either related or acquainted with each other.
smile.gif

I use Harris on AICS, and Atlas on SRS. Atlas feels better - but Harris works too. Both platforms have levels/cant indicators (extremely useful for me).

So I got the Harris bipod in the other day and immediately thought how easy it would be to pinch a finger opening/closing the thing. Needless to say, that didn't stop me from continually piddling around with it prior to actually putting it on my srs. And of course...ended up closing one of the legs on my thumb. Man that hurt! On the bright side, it's now tucked away high enough that my daughters can't get their fingers pinched...though I'm willing to be that they'd have enough smartz at 5 and 7 to not do what their idiot father did...

I'll be installing it and heading to the range this weekend. Let's hope there are no more idiot acts on my part!

Hi, Anyone know the powder DTA uses with the Lapua 250 test loads. The test target supplied with the SRS I just picked up is three shots over lapping so I see no reason not to start off trying to replicate what works. I've got everything else needed but have not invested in a couple jugs of powder yet.

Donald

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, Anyone know the powder DTA uses with the Lapua 250 test loads. The test target supplied with the SRS I just picked up is three shots over lapping so I see no reason not to start off trying to replicate what works. I've got everything else needed but have not invested in a couple jugs of powder yet.

Donald </div></div>

I was under the impression they used Factory Lapua for test targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi, Anyone know the powder DTA uses with the Lapua 250 test loads. The test target supplied with the SRS I just picked up is three shots over lapping so I see no reason not to start off trying to replicate what works. I've got everything else needed but have not invested in a couple jugs of powder yet.

Donald </div></div>

I was under the impression they used Factory Lapua for test targets. </div></div>

Think you are correct.

ask SR90 or Fredo to confirm.

I had thought they would switch to their own line of ammo now that they make it or have someone make it for them. If it's factory Lapua then it's VV powder so that's easy enough to duplicate.
Thanks, Donald

try 91 grains of RL25 behind the 250 Scenar
0r 88grains of RL25 behind the 300 (Scenar or SMK)

Lapua Brass

These seem to work in just about every .338

Ewen

Ewen thats the loads SR90 posted a long time back for his loads for the DTAs as I wrote them down when I bought my first DTA. yeah I said first...its a sickness and not 12 step program.

Dave,
That's good stuff. I just ordered a Titanium 338 can from SAS. They are muzzle break or flash hider mounted and are available in 3/4-24. I am gonna use that can on both the 338 LM and 308 win until I can afford a dedicated 308. I hope it sounds good cause I'm pissing m pants

Anyway, just a heads up on another way to go.

Ty

Just an update on load development. I went ahead and did a ladder test and then shot some groups with the DTA yesterday. I was getting some pressure signs at 91 grains of RE25. Best accuracy was at 90 grains then 91 and 89 the worst was 88. So looks to be a node at 90 grains with my gun using Lapua brass, Fed 215M primers, Lapua 250 Scenars and Reloader 25 at 90 grains. Brass was never "sticky" or had a hard bolt lift but the shell heads had a polished/shiny look to them and primers were rather flat at 91. See no reason not to use 90 grains however as it shoots sub MOA out to 400 yards so far. Maybe next week I'll get to put her on paper at 1000. Like to thanks the guys that helped out and pointed me towards the Reloader info. I was not getting it done with H1000 and Lapua 300's so it's a big relief to see the rifle live up to its potential.
Donald

I am a left hand shooter and thought to make a solid cheek rest over the gap. I only have the Chassis so far so I am only guessing were the bolt stops?
openflat2.jpg

right.jpg

I added two pieces of HDPE in the middle of the fabric to keep the top and bolt area rigid.
topright.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Velcro on bottom to hold bean bag
bottom.jpg

I will be adding a small pad on top with slip not cloth(rubberized fabric)
Also when I get the 338 kit I will make other accessories.
Any suggestions very welcome guys!

Reactions: joemusso

We got some stills and Video of our 16" barrel chambered in .338LM for the Covert. Looking forward to sharing them here soon.

Your going to like this.
smile.gif

DTA .338 LM Covert with DTSS. Same size as the .308 Win Covert with .338 LM capability. More footage of full value ammunition the way.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LqOtDgt-EQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LqOtDgt-EQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Covert338LMShane.jpg

Wow, very nice!
smile.gif

Was that a failure to eject? Almost looked like the guy short stroked the bolt.

If you're only losing approx 100fps from the shorter barrel, with full power loads would you expect similar accuracy in the 1400 to 1600 yard range?

We haven't chronoed Factory ammunition yet. It will be more reduction then 100 FPS.

We will list dope and accuracy results out to 1650 yards for the full value ammo soon.

Shot my DTA SRS at a match in Park City yesterday...VERY nice! Only complaint was the left handed shooting. I need to practice more so I don't punch myself in the mouth and catch my beard in the action! The rifle shot incredibly well though!
Any pointers on left handed shooting? I plan on taking the rifle to the Bash and I KNOW Jacob is gonna make us shoot support side!

pad.jpg

right2.jpg

Still trying different designs to help keep your head up and more comfortable than the gutter in your chin still need to try different heights

Reactions: joemusso

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Textile</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
pad.jpg

right2.jpg

Still trying different designs to help keep your head up and more comfortable than the gutter in your chin still need to try different heights </div></div>

now that is sporty.......
smile.gif

how difficult would it be to move it to the top and be able to build it up to match the individual shooter?

That looks fantastic...and I'm guessing it's as functional as it looks. Two questions: 1) Are they for sale yet? 2) If so, will other colors be available?

easier than it is know. The reason I have it to the side is to rest my cheek but it can be anyway you want. I am going to be adding them to my 2011 line. The site is clear of most stuff till I get new Jpegs of all my new work.
TacticalTextile.com

Oh hell no... abort.. abort.. abort.

(as a kite floats away) baha. ke. A good run.

But seriously, thats good tailoring.

LMAO, nick called you out. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL......

The Covert was seriously fun to shoot with the 338 subsonic rounds. Full power rounds were cool too just louder.

That may be my first new rifle when I get back to the States
wink.gif

If you see any SRS down there post some Phone Pics.
smile.gif

Fredo do you know what the cost is for a new Bolt Face or Bolt in .308? Had a friggin primer fail and baked my bolt face. Still functions perfectly fine but is scared like nothing else now.

I will ask for you first thing Monday. Only cost lists I have are for bolt and barrel conversions.