• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krebaum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SRS arrives today and need rings so wanted some input from you guys on which to get. Spuhr,larue or American defense???? </div></div>

I would go with the DTA. They make a nice one piece unit that you can get with 20, 30 or 40 moa built into it and at the proper height. </div></div>

+1 the DTA rings are well made and perfect height for it. Its what I had on my DTA and I had zero complaints about it.

I've also run Hornady 150 gr SSTs out of an 18" 10-twist barrel made for my Covert by Mark Gordon, and they were sickeningly accurate. However, I should point out that 147 ball and 150 gr Core-lokt projectiles are probably not your best bet for optimal precision. They simply do not have the ballistic properties inherent in better match grade rounds. I'd say just try them out and see how they do, but don't be too disappointed if you see group sizes in the 1.0-1.5 MOA range at 100 yd. You can likely improve that with a good match load like FGMM or Black Hills 175 gr. Anyhow, good luck with it.

No Rowdyrino, I am not skipping class but my wife is going to text me as soon as your baby shows up so I can text you and let you know that it is safe!

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also run Hornady 150 gr SSTs out of an 18" 10-twist barrel made for my Covert by Mark Gordon, and they were sickeningly accurate. However, I should point out that 147 ball and 150 gr Core-lokt projectiles are probably not your best bet for optimal precision. They simply do not have the ballistic properties inherent in better match grade rounds. I'd say just try them out and see how they do, but don't be too disappointed if you see group sizes in the 1.0-1.5 MOA range at 100 yd. You can likely improve that with a good match load like FGMM or Black Hills 175 gr. Anyhow, good luck with it. </div></div>

I agree. My interest in the 147 grain M80's is that I have a LOT of them ready to load up into .308 or 300 BLK ammo for practice/plinking. I teach a bunch of youngsters how to shoot and thought that these bullets on a 16" covert would make a nice small package to help train them on as we move up from .22's. Thanks for your input!

Darin

Does anyone know where I can put my hands on one of these in IL so I can see how they feel, I am in the northern part of IL? My local gun shop does not carry them.

DTA unimount works great on an SRS, but so do Barrett rings and the Spuhr mount too. I standardized on the Spuhr mount on my Covert and SRS and love them.

Guns4570 can you post some pics of that setup with the spuhr mount? And how does that set up feel on the srs as far as height and all goes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the height on the DTA mounts?
</div></div>

DTA told me it's 1.5" from top of scope base to center of ring.

I've got an NF 3.5-15x50 F1 and 5.5-22x50 both in LaRue LT-158 one-piece QD mounts (1.44" height, 10 MOA cant) that I run interchangeably on my Covert. For me, this mount is perfect for the Covert in terms of height, and that you get just a little bit of elevation back with the 10 MOA mount; I don't really need 20 MOA on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DTA unimount works great on an SRS, but so do Barrett rings and the Spuhr mount too. I standardized on the Spuhr mount on my Covert and SRS and love them. </div></div>

I am using ex-rings with my BORS on my DTA, they work well and I find the height comfortable

That's probably a lot taller than you need. As I mentioned, I'm running LaRue LT-158s that are 1.44" and even that could be lowered a bit with no problem (see height if scope above rail in pic below; 5.5-22x50 in LT-158 mount). The real question is what you are most comfortable with. Like everything else YMMV.

Fig3B.jpg

Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next.

I got mine today too. Though I am pretty sure I got OD green when I ordered FDE but it is still badass

Steve w I thought the same thing the upper was a little lighter then the molded plastic. Is that what you are referring to? The ceracote is a whole different process and don't think they can get to close in matching the two. But when I opened the box I thought the same but I have no room to complain this is my first bolt gun and I'm pumped.

Yeah. You might be right. Im not complaining at all. It looks great. I can't wait to mount my Nightforce NXS 8-32x56mm

Yeah glass is what's driving me crazy there is so many choices. And rings I cant figure out what higth I need. Send me you email and I'll send you a picture so you can compare the two.

Steve w and Rowdyryno--Congrats dudes!!!

...you are going to love this gun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next. </div></div>

I used to run a NF 5.5-22x56. With the DTA 30 MOA rings, and the sunshade it still fit. No worries on special rings. Enjoy that rifle!

Thanks FIREGUYTV all this high end stuff with stress ya out!!! Don't wanna order the wrong stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next. </div></div>

I used to run a NF 5.5-22x56. With the DTA 30 MOA rings, and the sunshade it still fit. No worries on special rings. Enjoy that rifle! </div></div>

Actually - I do not believe the USO TPAL 58mm will fit in a DTA mount - at least that is what I recall when I tried it out, but YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemiram347</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next. </div></div>

I used to run a NF 5.5-22x56. With the DTA 30 MOA rings, and the sunshade it still fit. No worries on special rings. Enjoy that rifle! </div></div>

Actually - I do not believe the USO TPAL 58mm will fit in a DTA mount - at least that is what I recall when I tried it out, but YMMV</div></div>

He said clear, and I assumed height wise. I believe you are saying that the rings won't fit in between? Of that, I have no knowledge.....good catch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemiram347</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next. </div></div>

Actually - I do not believe the USO TPAL 58mm will fit in a DTA mount - at least that is what I recall when I tried it out, but YMMV</div></div>

He said clear, and I assumed height wise. I believe you are saying that the rings won't fit in between? Of that, I have no knowledge.....good catch. </div></div>

Highly interested on this combination.
My T-Pal is in the oven right now, waiting for their newly designed (more elevation) tube.

Wonder if there would be enough people with USO 5x25's to get Hakan to make us up some Spuhr mounts?

Let me know what you work out Rowdyryno.
Its hurting me more everyday to not order an SRS...
... 1st post. Hello to all on the hide.

How long is the T-pal housing? And how long is the maintube in front of the tpal/elevation housing?

Håkan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hemiram347</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rowdyryno</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well just picked up my SRS fellas and let me start of buy saying BONER!!!!!! Man I'm pumped to get the barrel done and put some rounds through this thing. As far as the rings go I'm wanting the USO SN3 Tpal with 35 mm tube and 58 mm objective so just making sure I won't need the higher mounts to clear that. Also getting a buttpad made with cheek pad. That covert looks awesome that's what I need next. </div></div>

He said clear, and I assumed height wise. I believe you are saying that the rings won't fit in between? Of that, I have no knowledge.....good catch. </div></div>

I was referring to clearance... As I recall, the 58mm objective needs more height than the DTA mount offers (i.e. the objective OD is a bit larger than the NF 56mm) Again, going off of memory

I know that my nightforce 5.5-22 X 56 on the 30moa DTA mount clears the front rail but the scope cover won't fit in between. Its close. Any larger on the objective and it will hit. That makes the mount perfect for my setup but not so good for anyone with a larger scope bell.

Frank

<span style="font-weight: bold">Håkan</span>, As far as the T-Pal housing, they were being machined currently. It should be 2.8" in length. I asked, and was told they were not 100% sure. They believed the length (front to back 2.8") would be the same as before. The housing width would be increased though. As for the main tube in front of the housing, I have no info. When I can I will give you ever spec you need.

<span style="font-weight: bold">hemiram347 - biffj</span>, right on.
The OD on the objective lens should be at 2.71" Whats yours on the Nightforce?

I have had thoughts about milling a bit of material off the rail. It would be on the forearm anyway.
Ah, I don't know. It should not be much material. I don't believe it would compromise the integrity of the rifle (that I still have not ordered). Just hope Håkan says that mounts will be a <span style="text-decoration: line-through">possibility</span> reality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagleclaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have had thoughts about milling a bit of material off the rail. It would be on the forearm anyway.
</div></div>

I don't know offhand what the diameter is but I can measure it. I can't see that milling a little off the rail would hurt. You won't need to mount anything under the scope bell will you??

Frank

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Anybody know the difference in weight between the SRS forearm and the covert forearm? I find it's real-estate I don't use, other than I've been running my bipod at the forward end of the SRS rail.

On another topic, where have people been preferring their bipod placement? I started with mine on the end, moved to the midpoint on the rail, and have now moved back. I'm shooting .308.

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody know the difference in weight between the SRS forearm and the covert forearm? I find it's real-estate I don't use, other than I've been running my bipod at the forward end of the SRS rail.

On another topic, where have people been preferring their bipod placement? I started with mine on the end, moved to the midpoint on the rail, and have now moved back. I'm shooting .308. </div></div>

Here you go-

SRS Rail: .90 lb (408 g)
Covert Rail: .45 lb (204 g)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagleclaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I don't know offhand what the diameter is but I can measure it. I can't see that milling a little off the rail would hurt. You won't need to mount anything under the scope bell will you??

Frank </div></div>

Got it last night, scope bell is 2.55" OD and there is just under .187 clearance from it to the rail. Actually more room than I remembered. The rubber cover from Nightforce has a pretty thick bead around it and that does rub the rail when I put it on.

Frank

I have some NXS scopes with 56mm diameter objectives. When mounted in Badger Med/High rings (1.00"), the bell is pretty close to the barrel. It may considered sacrilege by some, but I ended up cutting off about 1" of the rubber bead from the edge of the scope covers. They now fit very well and I have not seen any evidence as yet of tearing or excessive wear where I removed the bead, even though the covers have been on/off many many many times. YMMV.

The DTA SRS is one of the better sniper rifles out there. The other rifles competing for the Navy’s PSR program are still your standard bolt action…. The only thing the others did to reduce overall length was add a side folding stock. Are they accurate? 7” vertical groups at 1500yds good enough? I have had an SRS now for 2 years…. If you’re thinking of spending a few G’s on a custom built bolt gun…. Give the SRS a thought. You won’t be disappointed.

Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster. Learned a lot here on the Hide.

Nick, when (if ever) can we expect to see the minor mods on the PSR submission to make it to production rifles? I know the raceway cover, adj. cheekpiece, and butt pad fix "non-existent" problems, but at this price point they are features I would certainly like to have. Thanks for all your feedback here on the Hide.

Others, I have looked but can't seem to find any individual reviews on the DTSS (POI shift, repeatability, etc). Anyone have any feedback to share?

Thanks to all...
Shasta

What can are most using on 338? Am looking around for best performance. Surprised how many do 5/8x24 but not 3/4x24.

Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can are most using on 338? Am looking around for best performance. Surprised how many do 5/8x24 but not 3/4x24.

Thanks for the help. </div></div>

I've haven't had any first hand experience but from the forum reading I've been doing TBAC seems to be the can to beat right now. I've seen a few group buys on them.

DTA makes a brake mounted suppressor.

I would also look at the Thunder Beast Brake Attach suppressors. This way you can use it on the 3/4 threaded DTA barrels and 5/8 threaded barrels simply buy purchasing another brake/mount with the correct threads for your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are running the can on several different rifles, or simply don't want to rethread the barrel, this may be of help. I have one, works great.

Delta P Designs DTA adapter </div></div>

Thanks for the info. This is a great option for those with suppressors in 5/8 x 24 that want to run them on the DTA line of rifles.

I am, at present, running a Thunderbeast 30P-1 on my 308 (using an adapter to go 3/4x24 to 5/8x24, I really like the setup.) With 308, there is no real need for recoil suppression; with the 338, a little recoil reduction would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

Another vote for the Thunderbeast. Run the 338p-1 for a while now...great can. Suppresses both 308 and 338 LM well.

Parker

We do make a 5/8"x24 QDbrake for our DTSS for those who want to run the DTSS on other platforms.

This is what I use on mine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireguyty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are running the can on several different rifles, or simply don't want to rethread the barrel, this may be of help. I have one, works great.

Delta P Designs DTA adapter </div></div>