• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Th

No one is complaining bro. Just curious. 22 months on a custom 1911 gave me all the patience in the world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one is complaining bro. Just curious. 22 months on a custom 1911 gave me all the patience in the world. </div></div>

You aren't mikeltee. I appreciate that, but you should hear some of the calls we get.

Lucky for us, we have a GREAT customer base.

I can imagine Russ! A few years back when I was waiting on my first custom 1911, I'd call damn near every day to check the status. I tore them a new one on the forums too. It's really embarrassing to think about how I behaved then.

Any one running a SS 5-20 on their DTA? If so what rings/mount are you using? Pics would be appreciated.

I tried my Bobro mount from my AR, but it seems a little low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cookie The Swede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one running a SS 5-20 on their DTA? If so what rings/mount are you using? Pics would be appreciated.
</div></div>

Right here pal: AADland engineering AAD Mount 20 MOA one piece base.
FC24CF46.jpg

B0AB1B43.jpg
2655560E-orig.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColdBoreMiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cookie The Swede</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one running a SS 5-20 on their DTA? If so what rings/mount are you using? Pics would be appreciated.
</div></div>

Right here pal: AADland engineering AAD Mount 20 MOA one piece base.
FC24CF46.jpg

B0AB1B43.jpg
2655560E-orig.jpg
</div></div>

Cbm, I drool everytime a pic of your stick pops up... Mine is off getting dura coated and will post pics when I get it back. I was tempted to have it done similar to yours. Awesome job again!

Magazines: I took a metal file and gently rounded the edges of the lips anyplace that contact with the cartridge is made while either loading or unloading the magazine. This basically fast forwarded the break-in process. Helped a lot to make the mags easier to load. Don't need to go crazy removing a lot of metal. Just take the sharp edge that digs into the cartridge and round it off. Hope this idea helps you guys. Love the rifle BTW.

I plan on using that same Aadmount on my new Covert A1 when it arrives. It certainly looks great on your beautiful rifle. Can't wait to be in your shoes ! Glad to hear that DTA is busy and tends to listen carefully to their customer's issues. Patience may not be easy, but is still a virtue and makes the final reward even sweeter. This forum is also a wonderful plus for all of us new to the sport. Thanks to all the members.

I am not sure if DTA is shipping a new style of magazine, but I find that these mags are very high quality. They slide right into my brand spanking new Covert, and they are quite easy to load rounds into. Sure... they are not pmags, but they are a hell of a lot better than GI AR mags. I ran my finger around them and didn't cut myself. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. This rifle is 100% perfect IMO. The only thing that I can think of to make it better for me is a 3" LOP addition, and some sort of vacuum system to suck the sweat from my cheek weld, but I wont be holding my breath on that one...

I guess some just like to find small nuances for the sake of complaining, but for me, I truly don't see anything not 100% thought out and corrected to Nick's intents. No need for a maxi pad on the end of the stock or cheek riser for me. This rifle is GTG, and worth every penny I invested into it!

Re: Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Anyone using an ACI on the SRS with a S&B 5-25 on a 40 MOA base? Looking for recommendations on what will fit on the rail under the rear of the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone using an ACI on the SRS with a S&B 5-25 on a 40 MOA base? Looking for recommendations on what will fit on the rail under the rear of the scope. </div></div>

The one in the pictures above would work fine, I cant imagine a scope or mount that wouldn't accomodate this particular ACI.

Will DTA ever release a factory .223 or is SAC the only way to go ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure if DTA is shipping a new style of magazine, but I find that these mags are very high quality. They slide right into my brand spanking new Covert, and they are quite easy to load rounds into. Sure... they are not pmags, but they are a hell of a lot better than GI AR mags. I ran my finger around them and didn't cut myself. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. This rifle is 100% perfect IMO. The only thing that I can think of to make it better for me is a 3" LOP addition, and some sort of vacuum system to suck the sweat from my cheek weld, but I wont be holding my breath on that one...

I guess some just like to find small nuances for the sake of complaining, but for me, I truly don't see anything not 100% thought out and corrected to Nick's intents. No need for a maxi pad on the end of the stock or cheek riser for me. This rifle is GTG, and worth every penny I invested into it! </div></div>

Then your understanding of what constitutes quality is lacking. Comparing them to Pmags only verifies that. So they're not as good as a $15 piece of plastic.....as if Pmags are the best magazines made? Pick up a magazine made by H&K and tell me what quality is.

Tell you what, you can polish out all the gouge marks in my brass left by feeding rounds into these mags if you'd like.

I followed some advise of members here and filed down all the edges and polished them with emery cloth and a Dremel polishing wheel and they're much better, easier on my brass and my fingers......but a $110 magazine should be perfect.

Maybe the problem is that you don't shoot your gun. Loading up 5-10 mags for a range trip doesn't constitute hard use. Load them up 40-50 times over a 2 day period and get back to me.

I love this rifle....it's advantages far outweigh its disadvantages.

That doesn't make me a complainer just because I recognize it's weaknesses.

Anyways, hopefully the point is moot and the fix is on the way.

This is my first bolt gun, so pmags is my only comparison. You are correct with your assumption of my inexperience with this platform. Ill gladly polish your brass if you give me tips on becoming an expert with my new rifle. I guess I rubbed you the wrong way and for that I apologize. I wish I was able to put more rounds down the chamber, but being 20 degrees outside, an hour away from a 100 yard shot, unable to get reloading components in a timely manner, and the lack of a decent scope and mount is deterring my passion to become a better shot.

Mikeltee,

I have the srs in 308, and 338 Lapua. You made an excellent choice on the rifle you bought. Break in your barrels properly, and get some good reloads going. I'm shooting my .308 out to 1200 with no problem, and I honestly feel it would do more if I had the room. The 338 lapua does the same with authority, but we are extending our private range this spring to 1800 yards for the big magnums. I have both NF and Schmidt ( currently got the Schmidt on the DTA). Either are very nice just depends on you preferences on what you actually want to do with your rifle. I could give you some tips on reloads that have worked for me if you like, of course you would have to work it up slowly for yours. Btw, i don't normally post that much, but posting my opinions won't help my shooting. Reading sometimes might but whatever. Be glad to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugoutSRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mikeltee,

I have the srs in 308, and 338 Lapua. You made an excellent choice on the rifle you bought. Break in your barrels properly, and get some good reloads going. I'm shooting my .308 out to 1200 with no problem, and I honestly feel it would do more if I had the room. The 338 lapua does the same with authority, but we are extending our private range this spring to 1800 yards for the big magnums. I have both NF and Schmidt ( currently got the Schmidt on the DTA). Either are very nice just depends on you preferences on what you actually want to do with your rifle. I could give you some tips on reloads that have worked for me if you like, of course you would have to work it up slowly for yours. Btw, i don't normally post that much, but posting my opinions won't help my shooting. Reading sometimes might but whatever. Be glad to help. </div></div>

Thanks for chiming in bugout. I have a NF Beast on order. I am using my Mark 4 Leupold in the meantime, but my mount is inadequate. I have had a DTA that's been on order for a few weeks but there's no tellin when that's gonna show.

I think I have my 308 under control. I have Redding type S FL as well as neck size dies, and I have the Lee collet neck sizer just to play with, but my primary will be the FL. I will be loading Varget, and have hundreds of VLDs and SMK in 175gn and 168gn. I am waiting on the FL die to begin my load work up.

As far as 338 is concerned, I am not sure. I have a Redding S-type FL on order as well as H1000, 250gn SMKs and Berger Hybrids on order. I have yet to order any 300s because noone is taking back orders. Damn horders!!!!

I would love to hear some recommendations on everyone's favorite loads to shoot out of the 26" DTA .338l.

All loads will be ran with Lapua brass except for a couple of comparison reloads in Russ' DTA .338 brass, since he is getting such excellent results with it.

I am planning on picking up a SRS soon and was wondering what you experienced guys recommend as far as caliber conversions. I am planning on 3 to start. My thoughts are 260 REM or 6.5C (for sure), .308, and then an ELR caliber. I have been thinking 300WM or 338 LM. I have wanted a 338 LM for a long time, but in order to save some money in ammo, etc. I would probably be fine with the 300WM. Any ideas? I don't mean for this to be a caliber debate, but just looking for some sound advice from users.

Thanks.

I moved away from neck sizing brass for my SRS early on as I found the chamber was pretty tight to begin with. My rifle's from the first batch, so maybe something has changed since then, otherwise I'd just stick to bushing FL sizing. The Redding S dies have given me consistent neck tension while FL sizing the brass enough that I get zero feeding and extraction issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on picking up a SRS soon and was wondering what you experienced guys recommend as far as caliber conversions. I am planning on 3 to start. My thoughts are 260 REM or 6.5C (for sure), .308, and then an ELR caliber. I have been thinking 300WM or 338 LM. I have wanted a 338 LM for a long time, but in order to save some money in ammo, etc. I would probably be fine with the 300WM. Any ideas? I don't mean for this to be a caliber debate, but just looking for some sound advice from users.

Thanks. </div></div>
Same boat I was in, I went Covert 16" .308, .260, and 7SAUM, Love em all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on picking up a SRS soon and was wondering what you experienced guys recommend as far as caliber conversions. I am planning on 3 to start. My thoughts are 260 REM or 6.5C (for sure), .308, and then an ELR caliber. I have been thinking 300WM or 338 LM. I have wanted a 338 LM for a long time, but in order to save some money in ammo, etc. I would probably be fine with the 300WM. Any ideas? I don't mean for this to be a caliber debate, but just looking for some sound advice from users.

Thanks. </div></div>

Yes, if you're unsure of how much you will get out of a .338LM or the commitment involved in feeding one, by all means go with a .300WM. The 6.5 conversions sort of make the .308WIN a bit redundant, so I got a Covert forearm upgrade kit and a 16" .308WIN which is serious fun to shoot.

Thanks. </div></div>

If I could do three calibers I'd go 6.5mm CM, 308win, and 7mm WSM. The 6.5CM will be a good competition caliber with decent barrel life. If you aren't worried about barrel life though, I'd go 6mm CM or some other 6mm variant.

The 308win is purely nostalgia for me and while you can have a lot of fun with it (I sure as hell do), it won't be too competitive outside of casual F class comps.

The 7mm WSM will let you reach FAR out there with lighter loads and better bullets than the 300WM (except for maybe the 208 AMax or the new 230 Berger). It also seems to me that 7mm WSM brass is more available. I could be going batshit crazy about the 7mm WSM though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halcyon612</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbransco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am planning on picking up a SRS soon and was wondering what you experienced guys recommend as far as caliber conversions. I am planning on 3 to start. My thoughts are 260 REM or 6.5C (for sure), .308, and then an ELR caliber. I have been thinking 300WM or 338 LM. I have wanted a 338 LM for a long time, but in order to save some money in ammo, etc. I would probably be fine with the 300WM. Any ideas? I don't mean for this to be a caliber debate, but just looking for some sound advice from users.

Thanks. </div></div>

If I could do three calibers I'd go 6.5mm CM, 308win, and 7mm WSM. The 6.5CM will be a good competition caliber with decent barrel life. If you aren't worried about barrel life though, I'd go 6mm CM or some other 6mm variant.

The 308win is purely nostalgia for me and while you can have a lot of fun with it (I sure as hell do), it won't be too competitive outside of casual F class comps.

The 7mm WSM will let you reach FAR out there with lighter loads and better bullets than the 300WM (except for maybe the 208 AMax or the new 230 Berger). It also seems to me that 7mm WSM brass is more available. I could be going batshit crazy about the 7mm WSM though... </div></div>

Those were the exact calibers I went with...short barrel 308win, 6.5cm, and 7wsm. For the 7wsm, I went with a faster twist in preparation for the anticipated heavy Bergers.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the 7WSM. I agree that the 308 and 6.5 are somewhat redundant, but I like the idea of 308 for practice, availibility and with the .223 conversions on the way, I would like to run with a 300 blackout for fun.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first bolt gun, so pmags is my only comparison. You are correct with your assumption of my inexperience with this platform. Ill gladly polish your brass if you give me tips on becoming an expert with my new rifle. I guess I rubbed you the wrong way and for that I apologize. I wish I was able to put more rounds down the chamber, but being 20 degrees outside, an hour away from a 100 yard shot, unable to get reloading components in a timely manner, and the lack of a decent scope and mount is deterring my passion to become a better shot. </div></div>

No worries, I'm not an expert by any means....I was just trying to point out an issue that I discovered while under hard use so that people considering this system are well informed. As much as I love this rifle, it's negative points cannot be ignored as well.

Fortunately DTA has always seemed open to the idea of working on the problem and making improvements if needed.

Like I said, the rifles many strong points far outweighs its negative points in my opinion.

I have a 6.5x47L conversion and I had a bushing put in my bolt for the small primer. My question is if I get a 308 conversion, can I use the same bolt.

BTW, I'm looking for a gen 1 308 22" conversion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 6.5x47L conversion and I had a bushing put in my bolt for the small primer. My question is if I get a 308 conversion, can I use the same bolt.

BTW, I'm looking for a gen 1 308 22" conversion. </div></div>

The 6.5x47 uses a 308 bolt and all the newer 308 bolts are bushed from the factory already. You should be fine with the same bolt.

BTW you don't need a whole conversion. You could just buy the barrel.

Thanks, and yes I understand, that I just need the barrel with the extension. It was a bad choice of words.

Does anybody have a 22" barrel/extension they would want to sell or possibly trade for my 6.5x47L barrel/extension?

I know no rifle is perfect, but I think for all the options and flexibility that the SRS A1 has, it will be about as close as you can get. I look forward to receiving my first DTA rifle sometime in the next several months, then I can comment on any "warts". Only time will tell, but I know DTA listens to their users more than any manufacturer, which is a very good thing!

Has anyone played around with hand loads in this rifle? I'd like to know if everything stayed the same with your pet load, DOPE, group size,POI ext.. A OCW test before and after barrel removale would be cool.

Please PM with any answers! Thanks

Has anyone played around with hand loads in this rifle? I'd like to know if everything stayed the same with your pet load, DOPE, group size,POI ext.. A OCW test before and after barrel removale would be cool.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but yes - the rifles stay zeroed before and after barrel removal. There is a POI shift between conversion kits, but it's repeatable. A lot of us are shooting multiple cartridges with this rifle without having untrackable shifts. As for pet loads, I can only refer to my 175SMK w/ 45gr Varget load, which is a common .308WIN load. It runs great in my 16" barrel. The rest of my conversions are for cartridges I haven't developed loads for prior.

I know that the POI shift are the same, im wandering about handloads. How does the barrel change your seating depth after it is taken off and on. Do the seating depth not change at ALL to where it will not affect your pet load?

The seating depth doesn't ever change from taking the barrel in or out. The bolt locks into the extension which is for all intents and purposes part of the barrel. Why would the depth change???? Pet loads stay the same for each barrel other than changes caused by erosion of the throat which takes a long time for the most part. It doesn't matter if you pull the barrel out of the receiver and lock the bolt into it, the headspace stays the same. You should always lock the bolt into the barrel when you put the barrel back in the rifle. That helps to insure that the barrel is all the way into the receiver. If its not than the bolt won't lock up so its just a help.
I've got 4 barrels for my SRS and they each have their own scope settings that don't change just each time I use it. The only change is from barrel to barrel.
Hope that answers the question.

Frank

Can someone post pics of a bolt with bushing instslled and not installed and explain the need/advantage to the conversion? Do only the .308 bolts get it and do I need to have my Gen1 bolt done for .308WIN, .300BR or .338BR?

Ok so I asked a question in the scope section but feel I need a little clarification

I just mounted a 5-25 tpal I got from lazy21 in a 30moa DTA mount but I have 2 concerns

1st. Upon mounting the scope I noticed the erek knob comes in contact in its lowest position but I haven't zero the scope yet so don't know where it will sit

2nd. The scope has a clearance of .008" from the bell and DTA rail. Is this sufficient ? I've seen slow motion effects of a barrel but since the barrel is not the issue will harm the scope ? Does the rail flex that much under fire ?
Will a 20moa mount fix this issue ? What is the height of the DTA mount ?

maybe try a 20 MOA rail if your concered about it, look at google pictures if you don't know a friend who would unmount his scope.

I heard 2.63 inches is the scope height?

Ok so I asked a question in the scope section but feel I need a little clarification

I just mounted a 5-25 tpal I got from lazy21 in a 30moa DTA mount but I have 2 concerns

1st. Upon mounting the scope I noticed the erek knob comes in contact in its lowest position but I haven't zero the scope yet so don't know where it will sit

2nd. The scope has a clearance of .008" from the bell and DTA rail. Is this sufficient ? I've seen slow motion effects of a barrel but since the barrel is not the issue will harm the scope ? Does the rail flex that much under fire ?
Will a 20moa mount fix this issue ? What is the height of the DTA mount ?

I run a USO 5-25x58 Tpal on my DTA with the 30moa mount and it works fine. I set the scope forward as far as I could in the mounts to enable the EREK knob to clear the rear ring. Once I had zero set it no longer contacted it (308 and 300wm). With the sunshade on the clearance is pretty low but there is still clearance even with the objective cap on it and closed. With the shade off there is a bit more clearance.

Have any of you DTA owners ever had a problem with your .308 kit extracting brass? Got a new conversion kit and first time out it would take about three times in and out of battery to pull the brass out. After looking at my extractor and comparing it with my .338 extractor it looks like the blade is too short. I swapped blades with the .338 and it cycles empty brass now at home but I need to take it to the range and check it. Joe at DTA said he is going to send me a new blade. Just wondering if anybody has seen this issue, hoping the chamber is not too tight. I was using DTA new ammo at the time as well.

My 308 kit that I've fired 3 sessions now has had no problems extracting brass of several brands, all hand loads. It is the old bolt type though.

Looking for a custom bolt knob maker that is doing DTA bolt knobs. I saw a couple in the thread here by a guy named Zak, anybody know how to get a hold of him?

Looking ggfor a custom bolt knob maker that is doing DTA bolt knobs. I saw a couple in the thread here by a guy named Zak, anybody know how to get a hold of him?

TriggerTime Gun Club (303) 651-0816 ask for Zach,great guy, he will fix you up, they work as good as they look as well.
Sully