• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Who owns a $6000 dollar weapon system and doesn't have a socket set in the garage?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well I might be selling my black/FdE A1 and and 300 WM conversion with .338 bolt head mag and extension. Not 100% sure but PM if your interested so I can keep my options open.

Thanks

I have a 7WSM DTA barrel and am trying to work up a Berger 168 load.
Since I cant get a dummy Hornady lock and load guage for this caliber, I dont know the chamber length.

Does anyone know the COAL for a berger 168 contacting the lands in a DTA 7 WSM?

Thanks!

So, I got my A1 covert with 22" 308 and 26" 338 and I am feeling like I a missing out a bit on a covert length barrel. Seems a bit excessive to have a 308 in two lengths.. But I want a shorty. 1st world problems.

with all due respect i think the best way to achieve a covert length rifle is to have a covert length barrel. its like if i put on a pair of 28" waist pants....i still have a 34" waist. i know a guy, who shall remain un-named, whos covert usually sports 26" barrels yet my srs with a 22" barrel is shorter ;).
p.s. this thread is deader than a saturday night in salt lake city....

Last edited:
good idea. everybody loves to show off. so far what ive accomplished with my dta rifle is un-boxing it.

Well your still 1 up on us in Aus, we won't be seeing them too soon by the sounds. Keen to see some results others have been getting though, maybe some ELR results.

Spunds like a good idea. When I get mine dialed in in a few weeks, I will post some pictures, but 500 yds is about as far as I can shoot close to home.

since fedex lost my spuhr mount and my barrel is a couple weeks out im just having some fun with photoshop.

p.s. credit for the dta photo goes to orkan and primal rights. best A1 photos ive been able to steal so far ;)

Last edited:
I'm taking my A1 out this weekend to do some load development. As long as their now harvesting the corn I should have some good pictures.

So, I got my A1 covert with 22" 308 and 26" 338 and I am feeling like I a missing out a bit on a covert length barrel. Seems a bit excessive to have a 308 in two lengths.. But I want a shorty. 1st world problems.

How about you let me spin you a covert length barrel? We have put out 3 16" 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that shoot 139 Lapua's at about 2650 very accurately. We have the following reamers; 22-250, 6XC, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7 SAUM, 308, 338 Lapua Magnum. All of these have given us exceptional accuracy out of the DTA. We also have 7 Creedmoor, and 6.5 SAUM. However, neither of these have been very impressive so far.

Currently I have been playing with a 22" 1-8" twist suppressed 22-250. It slings 80 SMK at 3300 FPS at about 1/4 MOA at 100. It is a hammer out to 1000 yards, and I like it so much that I have had to tune it down to 3100 FPS for comp shoots. Also getting 3800 FPS out of 55 V-max accurately for the coyotes (that is now one more rifle that my DTA has replaced).

Another project that we are working on is a 32" 338 Lapua Magnum. I figured this thing is so compact that I would make it as long as a traditional rifle, and see if it benefits us any. This is in it's infancy, and it wouldn't surprise if we end up cutting it down to the normal 26". We shall see, but it would be cool to get 2900 FPS out of a 300 grain Berger!

Anyway, you talked about your 1st problems due to the amount of possibilities the DTA provides.....I feel for you. Good problems though, right?

Ty

i'm having benchmark spin me up a 22-250ai barrel for mine for that same reason, make another gun i don't have to buy and can go out and destroy pdogs and coyotes. have another barrel extension don't know what other barrel i'll have em spin up but the possibilities are endless, lol

I picked 32" because of this article:

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: Barrel Lenghts and Velocities in the 338/378 Weatherby Magnum

I realize it is outdated and not for the .338 Lapua, but rather the .338/378 Weatherby Magnum, but what the hell.

Also, I used a 9.5" twist from Benchmark (I love me some Benchmark).

Now then, why do you like 29" with a 9" twist?

Thanks for the reply,
Ty

Know the article well, good article, you just happen to be looking at the same thing I want to accomplish by using the DTA platform to ring out the 338LM and still feed from a mag. I'm experimenting with a Chanlynn 30" 1:9.3 now. PM sent
Sully

Greg, the SAUM feeds pretty much the same as the WSM in the DTA mags. We have the GAP spec 6.5 SAUM reamer, but so far have not had good results. We are still trying to work out a load as the GAP load doesn't shoot well. However, the 7 SAUM with both 162 A-max and 180 Bergers is just silly accurate.

Joe, I LOVE my 22-250. It is so accurate and there is literally no movement from recoil. Also, I am pretty happy with the 8 twist as it is still allowing good accuracy with the 55 grainers. What twist did you go with?

Ty

Used some reloads I had for my other 300 WM and it shot a .45" 7 shot group.

.035" off, 208 amax, 75.5 gr H1000.

Not that 100 yards means anything but very promising. Very happy with my 6.5 grendel precision firearms (lilja barrel)!

Currently I have been playing with a 22" 1-8" twist suppressed 22-250. It slings 80 SMK at 3300 FPS at about 1/4 MOA at 100. It is a hammer out to 1000 yards, and I like it so much that I have had to tune it down to 3100 FPS for comp shoots. Also getting 3800 FPS out of 55 V-max accurately for the coyotes (that is now one more rifle that my DTA has replaced).

You've got my attention.

I have a 7WSM DTA barrel and am trying to work up a Berger 168 load.
Since I cant get a dummy Hornady lock and load guage for this caliber, I dont know the chamber length.

Does anyone know the COAL for a berger 168 contacting the lands in a DTA 7 WSM?

Thanks!

I sent you a PM on this.
Brett

I just recieved my 7wsm barrel from Mark at SAC and it looks amazing, definitely top notch work and attention to detail. it is a Bartlein 1:9 threaded 5/8"-24(so i can run my30P-1 when it clears ATF) with a APA little bastard brake that was turned down to match the contour.
That all being said Does anybody have some load advice/experience shooting 180vld hybrids w/H1000 int their DTA 7wsm?

Wish I could help you.... I have a DTA 7WSM that I have just started working up a load for. I am going to use the 168 Berger based on the work done by DTA and GSEVEN on the caliber. DTA munitions is developing a 7 WSM factory load with the 168. They would not share data for liability reasons.... damn lawyers... but I assume they feel the 168 is the best fit for the 7 WSM.
I just recieved my 7wsm barrel from Mark at SAC and it looks amazing, definitely top notch work and attention to detail. it is a Bartlein 1:9 threaded 5/8"-24(so i can run my30P-1 when it clears ATF) with a APA little bastard brake that was turned down to match the contour.
That all being said Does anybody have some load advice/experience shooting 180vld hybrids w/H1000 int their DTA 7wsm?

Gives me a chubble...chubbles

This should inspire a non-photoshop DTA/hot girl photo contest. Maybe Nick will throw us a bone for a prize ;)

There is no shortage of other locations for those who want to gratify such an interest. Some (many?) of us are fathers of daughters who oppose the pan-sexualization of society. I oppose the suggestion.

Sorry to distract from this productive conversation:), but i was wondering if anybody noticed better repeatability when you install your barrels you tighten the side screws down in a consistant order.

I dont have my DTA yet (i hear maybe 2 weeks). I'm not sure the barrel will come installed and i was wondering if i should be paying attention to the order i tighten the screws.

My Covert with a couple of Mark's SAC barrels - both are 22.5" 1:9.5 338 Lapua the other 1:8 6.5x47 Lapua going to shoot it tomorrow...

photo.jpgphoto (1).jpg

Sorry to distract from this productive conversation:), but i was wondering if anybody noticed better repeatability when you install your barrels you tighten the side screws down in a consistant order.

I dont have my DTA yet (i hear maybe 2 weeks). I'm not sure the barrel will come installed and i was wondering if i should be paying attention to the order i tighten the screws.

I have no idea whether it makes any difference or not but I use good shop practice to tighten all the time. Torque the screws down about half to three quarters of full torque then fully torque the rear, skip one and do the next then go back and do the second, then the fourth. Kind of like the star pattern you would use for a wheel on a car or the alternating pattern you would use on a cylinder head. In reality it probably doesn't matter as long as they are tightened to the same torque every time. Using the same order to tighten will keep things consistent too.

Frank

I do it the same way Frank. Gradually increase the torque and spread it out in an alternating pattern.

Like you said, probably doesnt matter but I learned that building engines a long time ago....just makes me feel better.

Oh, I wanted to contact you about a .338BR barrel....can you PM me with the best way to reach you?

Have you ever used any of Lehighs payload bullets in one of your rigs?

Thanks.

I've just been tightening front to rear. It's the way I saw Nick doing it in the video so I figured it was the way to go.

I do it the same way Frank. Gradually increase the torque and spread it out in an alternating pattern.

Like you said, probably doesnt matter but I learned that building engines a long time ago....just makes me feel better.

Oh, I wanted to contact you about a .338BR barrel....can you PM me with the best way to reach you?

Have you ever used any of Lehighs payload bullets in one of your rigs?

Thanks.

I've not yet tried any of the Lehigh bullets in either the 338 or the 510 but a friend has loaded some up for his rifles. No idea if he's shot any yet but when I get some info I"ll post it. I do have a couple of the lehighs he got me for examples but I haven't loaded any for COAL or anything. . .

Frank

I had Mark spin me up one about 7 months ago 28" Bartein 1:9. I do a clean up cut on my necks with .002 neck tension with 66.5gr H1000 topped off with 180 VLD's soft seated to the lands. These are hot loads so start low and work up but it's a hammer, I shoot with my 338P can it performed better than my 30P

Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying a 22" 338 lapua barrel. I think it would be a good shorty option for those who wish to keep the full length hand guard. Any thoughts?

I haven't shot my 338 factory conversion yet because I am Contemplating having Mark spin me one and selling my Dta 26" barrel as new.

Ps. The longest range I have access to is about 1500 yards

ive seen 16" 338 coverts. i would expect a 22" 338 to be fine at 1500 yds. maybe coldbore will chime in here, he has a lot of experience shooting 16" 338 and knows what kind of performance you can expect.

ive seen 16" 338 coverts. i would expect a 22" 338 to be fine at 1500 yds. maybe coldbore will chime in here, he has a lot of experience shooting 16" 338 and knows what kind of performance you can expect.

Ah, the Covert .338, the shortest distance between clear vision and blurred vision with a bit of brain jiggle to go along. A friend had a 16" Lapua built by Beanland to shoot from his covert with a the AAC Titan, this combo was full of win. Sans the Titan however, you may as well play hide and go f@ck yourself. I wouldnt say I have alot of experience, but have been there done that.
Velocities at roughly 3200ASL and 300 Hybrids were in the 2600fps range if I recall. Very good performance, we shot to 1600 if I recall, with good results. Also shot subsinic 300's, with very impressive accuracy.