• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

How well does it feed? I know some with the 7 SAUM are having feeding issues.
I am anxious to here this as well do to I was told the cartridge was to short for the DTA. You have to throat a 7WSM long to get it to feed 90% but it still is my favorite to shoot in my SRS and have my 2nd barrel on the way so if Ty has a fix I want to here it and then mine will be on the way to him for the fix!
Sully

Ney,

I called and spoke to your sales person today who told me you had no 300 WM magazines, T handle torque wrenches or bore guides in stock.

Also, can anyone direct me to the link on how to adjust the mag well so the mag will fall when I hit the release yet doesn't want to creep out while I shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got my TBAC 338P out of jail last week. It is massive compared to my 762sd but is about the same weight and length with the adapter and flash hider it needed.

I ran some 308 rounds through it with the 16" covert. It sounds really good and seems more accurate than the adapter/flash hider setup. Zero seems about .5mil low and .2 right now.

I'm finally going to break out the 300WM barrel this weekend. I finally found some Norma brass and I threw together some 225 Hornady BTHP with Retumbo and 208 Amaxs with H1000.

dam right the rifle is that good!! im sure of it, but whats paid is paid. so i have no choice but to wait for grey hair to come inn. lol sh*t happens

Must say I`m curious about the number of orders DT are struggling with...

Last edited:
Guys,
Production is catching up, by the end of the year we should be caught up to October on all rifle orders. We may still have other parts and accessories to get sorted out but it will be prompt. Current lead time on new rifle orders is approx. 3 months.

Thanks

Nick

Last edited:
@krazyjonny - loosen / tighten the bolts near the magwell till it just drops free - then loctite them with blue or purple - the low strength loctite - that is what I got told by DTA, and seems to work for me. The link is in this thread back a ways....

Guys,
Production is catching up, by the end of the year we should be caught up to October on all rifle orders. We may still have other parts and accessories to get sorted out but it will be prompt. Current lead time on new rifle orders is approx. 3 months.

Thanks

Nick

How about european orders Nick?
Is that a different story?

Pearce

@krazyjonny - loosen / tighten the bolts near the magwell till it just drops free - then loctite them with blue or purple - the low strength loctite - that is what I got told by DTA, and seems to work for me. The link is in this thread back a ways....

Good advice here.

Another way is to make the mags drop like butter is to put a very small washer between the skins on the bolts that are just in front of and behind the mag well.

Ty

How well does it feed? I know some with the 7 SAUM are having feeding issues.

I got advice on this from Coldboremiracle through Russ. CBM has been running a 7 SAUM for some time now. He says its all in how you run the bolt. Run it to fast or to slow and it will not release from the mag right. After I heard this, I ran several mags through it and didn't have a single hang up.

Personally, I see the 6.5 SAUM as a hunting round, and the 7 SAUM as the same or as an ELR cartridge. Either usage will allow time if you do hang one up.

BTW, I just put a 7 SAUM on the boards as well.

Ty

Guys,

Thanks

Nick

7 months of rifle orders to be filled in the next week and a half?

Good advice here.

Another way is to make the mags drop like butter is to put a very small washer between the skins on the bolts that are just in front of and behind the mag well.

Ty

I thought of that, but there is kind of a tongue and groove design to the skins that makes it so a washer can't be used. I have not used loctite, because I do not want to redo loctite every time I take the skins off my rifle.

If I shave part of the "tongue" off around where the screw is (using my dremmel) that would allow me to use a washer. I imagine that would at least void the skin portion of my warranty. Is this a bad idea? If I void "part" of my warranty do I void "all" of my warranty?

I thought of that, but there is kind of a tongue and groove design to the skins that makes it so a washer can't be used. I have not used loctite, because I do not want to redo loctite every time I take the skins off my rifle.

If I shave part of the "tongue" off around where the screw is (using my dremmel) that would allow me to use a washer. I imagine that would at least void the skin portion of my warranty. Is this a bad idea? If I void "part" of my warranty do I void "all" of my warranty?

I didn't shave it out, just stuck the smallest washer I could find in between. I would post a picture of it (and a video of the SAUM feeding for that matter) if I could figure out how to do any of that on this "new and improved" Snipers Hide.

Ty

I got advice on this from Coldboremiracle through Russ. CBM has been running a 7 SAUM for some time now. He says its all in how you run the bolt. Run it to fast or to slow and it will not release from the mag right. After I heard this, I ran several mags through it and didn't have a single hang up.

Personally, I see the 6.5 SAUM as a hunting round, and the 7 SAUM as the same or as an ELR cartridge. Either usage will allow time if you do hang one up.

BTW, I just put a 7 SAUM on the boards as well.

Ty
This is just the reason I'm building my 6.5 SAUM4s in a conventional build. Not the answer I was hoping for!

This is just the reason I'm building my 6.5 SAUM4s in a conventional build. Not the answer I was hoping for!

I guess. I put a video together of the 7 SAUM. 5 rounds from a 338 mag, and 2 top feed. The mag will hang up about 1 out of every 20 if you don't run the bolt right, but a little reset of the bolt fixes it. It top feeds better than any caliber I have however.

IMG_1387_zps9cab3d7d.mp4 Video by fireguyty | Photobucket

Also a picture of my mag well mod for Q-unit

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy195/fireguyty/IMG_1389_zpsb2235735.jpg

Last edited:
Can't get your video to open but it's probably just me (I have trouble working things from photo bucket) I hear what you are saying, like I said I have about a 90% feed rate out of my 7WSM but in a match when I am running against the clock I get quick on the bolt sometimes and I get a hanger and it throws me off and I would prefer not to deal with it, it always happens at the worst time to. As far as top loading the WSM is a no brainer. If each station/shot was from the prone top loading would be a given but... They are not. GLWS and I will keep watching on how they perform. Thanks again for your time and input

Must say I`m curious about the number of orders DT are struggling with...

Anyone that ordered a rifle after SHOT, through DTA or a dealer that did not place a stocking order at SHOT was placed in a line that that was already extremely long due to a record number of SHOT orders for DTA. It sounds like the DTA crew is really working to get caught up with everything. I placed a huge order at SHOT and didn't start seeing anything until August of this year. If you have been waiting, trust me, your wait will be well worth it. These rifles are incredible. I personally converted over to an SRS two years ago.

If you have not ordered a DTA rifle yet and don't want to wait, there are dealers that regularly get them in stock. I still have a couple in stock that are not spoken for yet.

FireguyTy and herofish,

Thanks for the info. I will give those things a try. From the looks of things in the photo from fireguyty the skins are the culprit of the mag dragging.

First kill with the covert....312 yds, 175smk

runyra7u.jpg
pure6ajy.jpg

u7u3yha9.jpg

TV

Correct Ty, allow me to explain further; the .308 mag lips are just a tad long for the SAUM case, as well as having to cut down the lower feed ramp of the mag in order to allow proper travel. The magnum mag lips are just a tiny bit too short, allowing the head of the case to pop up out of the mag before the cartridge starts down the chamber. As I told Russ, if you run the bolt consistently at the right speed, it seems to feed fine, achieving perfect intercourse. But if you run it too hard/fast, the case binds against the feed ramp and barrel extension. And if you run it too slow, the case pops out of the mag lips and the cartridge comes to rest in a horizontal position, making the bullet tip collide with the face of the breech as you push forward, requiring adequate finger fucking to get it into battery, not to mention the meplat molestation and seating depth de-flowering. Either scenario can be exacerbated by re-stroking the bolt and getting a classic DTA double feed requiring additional finger fucking. My long time goal with this project was to find the perfect mag alteration to correct this problem, making the 6.5/7SAUM a go to caliber for the SRS, but begging the public's pardon I've become so enamored of the boringly accurate, and always repeatable .260, and have therefore neglected my SAUM magazine aspirations. I still shoot it, but I've just gotten used to it. The fact that Hornady quit making the 162 Amax has dampened my 7mm activity as well, as I dont want to shoot up all my good stuff, so I save them for those extra special days when a touch of class is required at 1500+ yards. Maybe I'll get around to it soon, I plan on welding a couple tabs onto the ends of the magnum mag lips (.25-.35 inch) to see if it corrects the problem, I'm quite confident that it will. Maybe Ty or Mark will get around to it sooner, and save me the embarrassment of posting pictures of my welding skills on an international stage.

Do I regret the 7SAUM? not even close. I love it! In fact, if Ty or anyone has any unwanted SAUM barrels laying around cluttering up their shop, send them my way for appropriate burnout and disposal.

I finally put my covert on paper yesterday with the 338P1 attached. It's like a whole new gun compared to the adapter/51t/762-sd setup. So far almost everything (including loads worked up for my AR-10) has been going into one hole at 100yds. Ran out of daylight to do load development for the 300WM barrel and it was way to windy for me to want to try today. Hopefully in the morning.

Hi all from across the pond (England!) long time lurker, first time poster, thought you guys who like short barrels would like to know that my DTA in 6.5x47 started out at 26", driving 130g VLD Hunters at 2960fps, I plucked up the courage and chopped it to 19", the shortest I could get without the moderator touching the handguard, and only lost 95fps with the same load. I have around 1600 rounds through her ( I have the exact amount in my logbook, but I'm too lazy to get up) and have dropped to the lower accuracy node of 2807fps in an attempt to save a little barrel life, I have shot it out to 1340 yards with amazing accuracy, and have also shot 0.1 groups at 100 yards. I have also sold every rifle I had scince buying the DTA 2 years ago, it's a gen2 by the way, because it is simply the best rifle I think out there. I can however, understand anyone who has tried one for only a few rounds not liking, or being able to shoot it well straight away, it does take some shooting practice to get the best out of it, and also not shooting a 'normal rifle' helps speed up the process. Best wishes to all, and a very merry Christmas to everyone, Mark
( I have by the way, read this entire thread, and would like to say you all carry yourselves admirably within the posts, something we over here could learn from in our own shooting forums)

Trying to post a pic of my DTA

Sorry guys, how do I post a pic? I don't post on any forums over here due to the inevitable backlash, so I'm a little green, many thanks, Mark

Done it!! I hope

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
blaserman, it warms my heart to see your 6.5x47. and a brit to boot! i cant believe you went down to 19". nice work.
i only dared to go 22". the good thing is the performance loss is negligible but the weight and compactness is sooooooooo nice.

Last edited:
Well I got my DTA this last week and now I have a couple of questions, I remember reading somewhere about someone who machines off unwanted rails, who is it? How much weight does in cut on a non-covert model. Also the monopod and soft but pad, how much does this upgrade run, and can I do it myself? Should I just order a new skin with the cheek rest too, how much would that run? Thanks!

Very recent change to SRS forearm alignment method?

Hi folks,

First, I'm new to the DTA system and want to thank the folks on here for the 100+ pages of background that helped to inform my purchase. It was a good read and a nice bit of history!

I'm looking for a covert upgrade kit in black and have discovered in my search that there has been a recent change to the forearm index feature. The forearm on my SRS A1 is indexed with a forearm key on the top pic rail bridging where the forearm joins the chassis (see attached photo). I understand the design of this forearm alignment feature has been changed to something new for very recent deliveries from DTA. Anyone happen to know what they changed about the forearm attachment/alignment feature and why they changed it?

Great to see continuous improvement in the design... even better to understand the changes!

Best regards,
Bob

Please let me know if you have or know of an available covert forearm upgrade kit in black with the key alignment feature as shown?

Attachments

• forearmKey.jpg
    forearmKey.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Well I got my DTA this last week and now I have a couple of questions, I remember reading somewhere about someone who machines off unwanted rails, who is it? How much weight does in cut on a non-covert model. Also the monopod and soft but pad, how much does this upgrade run, and can I do it myself? Should I just order a new skin with the cheek rest too, how much would that run? Thanks!

so if you don't mind me asking, you just got your rifle....... and it wasn't the new srs a1 model? with butt pad and cheek rest. when did you order your's?

so if you don't mind me asking, you just got your rifle....... and it wasn't the new srs a1 model? with butt pad and cheek rest. when did you order your's?

SORRY FELLAS!! hit wrong button, didn't mean to double post. my apologies!!

Maybe he picked up a used model?

Santa came early and dropped off an Elite Iron Revolution bipod for the HTI. It is a huge improvement from the lightweight Harris that I had been making due with until the Elves could get this thing out. This one has the steel raceway and mount for extra durability. Between the aggressive foot design, the low center of gravity, and wide stance, the Revolution's stability is better than anything I have used before. The staff at EI worked with me to determine the ideal mounting dimensions for the HTI prior to building it to ensure proper fit. Due to the above the bore position that the arms fold up into, I did have to move the 9 and 3 o'clock pic rails back one notch to let the arms fold to the rear. Anyone with a "heavy rifle" looking for a bipod should check one out. I just wish I could swing one for the SRS also...

Walther
That EI bipod looks really cool. I want to play with one, the LR Accuracy leaves room for improvement with its pivot system and it lack of additional height adjustment. The LRA pivot gets gritty with dirt. How fluid is the pivoting and does the tension screw slip out of tightness? I'm sure you haven't gotten her dirty yet but please report back when you do of if it gets gritty.

I have an eberlestock pack and I bought an A4SS weapons scabbard to hold it in, but the SRS did not fit very well.

I was wondering if one of their packs with the dedicated scabbard such as the Gunslinger II or the G3 Phantom would be better. Does anybody have any experience?

I have an eberlestock pack and I bought an A4SS weapons scabbard to hold it in, but the SRS did not fit very well.

I was wondering if one of their packs with the dedicated scabbard such as the Gunslinger II or the G3 Phantom would be better. Does anybody have any experience?

G3 fits my srs covert perfectly. I do not extend the scabbard. I leave it rolled up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip! My Terminator is too large anyways. Time to switch to a G3!

Walther
That EI bipod looks really cool. I want to play with one, the LR Accuracy leaves room for improvement with its pivot system and it lack of additional height adjustment. The LRA pivot gets gritty with dirt. How fluid is the pivoting and does the tension screw slip out of tightness? I'm sure you haven't gotten her dirty yet but please report back when you do of if it gets gritty.

There is just a tiny bit of tension at 12 o'clock (rifle fully inverted) but other than that it's smooth as butter. I'll have to wait for a little better weather and some time off for the rest. Thanks for your presence on this board, and all the great stuff from 'Desert Tech' Merry Christmas, and if your 'elves' find some extra .375CT conversions around their workshop maybe you could send it towards Beartooth Guns in Billings. See you at SHOT.

Hey Everyone! Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas. Loving my DTA Covert how ever running into some issues seeing if anyone ran into these. First off I was trying to take off the modular rails and I keep stripping allen screws and they are now stuck (only the modular screw the other ones work just fine) anyone else have that problem? Then while I was working on that I decided to take off the barrel to give me room to work with the rails. Well when I turned to put barrel back in it slid in okay and it seem okay then why I tried to lock it. The screw stayed place facing down. in the unlock position. So I ended up taking my gun apart and literately found nothing inside how ever the barrel wouldn't budge. With every screw out and the frame disassembled even the locking bolt was taken out nothing was holding barrel it seemed to be caught on something and I can't for the life of me figure it out. When I apply some force I'm able to remove the barrel and same goes for reassembling the barrel it requires force. What do I do I don't want to mail it back to DTA I have had it less than a month. Everything else seems to be in working condition. I don't know any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

Hey Everyone! Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas. Loving my DTA Covert how ever running into some issues seeing if anyone ran into these. First off I was trying to take off the modular rails and I keep stripping allen screws and they are now stuck (only the modular screw the other ones work just fine) anyone else have that problem? Then while I was working on that I decided to take off the barrel to give me room to work with the rails. Well when I turned to put barrel back in it slid in okay and it seem okay then why I tried to lock it. The screw stayed place facing down. in the unlock position. So I ended up taking my gun apart and literately found nothing inside how ever the barrel wouldn't budge. With every screw out and the frame disassembled even the locking bolt was taken out nothing was holding barrel it seemed to be caught on something and I can't for the life of me figure it out. When I apply some force I'm able to remove the barrel and same goes for reassembling the barrel it requires force. What do I do I don't want to mail it back to DTA I have had it less than a month. Everything else seems to be in working condition. I don't know any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

For the rail you are using metric allen wrenches right? If so make sure they are "sharp". They should not be stripped themselves.

WaltHer, great pics of the EI bipod, probably the best I've seen. I'm still not clear on how it attaches to the HTI rail, though, can you provide more detail?

I'm anxiously awaiting information on the heavy duty Atlas before deciding which to buy.

Thanks for the tip! My Terminator is too large anyways. Time to switch to a G3!

Also just a heads up I have a mark 6 attached which is a pretty small scope. Not sure how it would fare with a premier, S&B or larger scope on there. I'm sure the premier LT or march 3-24 would be just fine. I'd imagine the larger scopes would work to but I have no way of being certain. Just wanted to give you that thought before you dumped money on a G3. It's an AWESOME pack btw. I can't believe it's not more that 200 bucks. I've back packed a lot In my life with Kelty and some other decent brands and this pack literally blows them out of the water in terms of quality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk