• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

To the best of my knowledge the .338 can will fit on smaller calibers but the .30 cal can won't fit on the .338

That is correct; the interface is designed so that you can't accidentally put a .308 can on a .338 but vice versa works. And it's been my experience that if you shoot a larger bore diameter can than the supported cartridge, it works fine but doesn't suppress as efficiently (ie .30cal to .223), assuming you're sticking to a bolt gun and not a semi-auto.

If you're buying a suppressor, go with TBAC. The 338BA supressor will work on your other barrels. Zak and Ray stand behind their products and it should last a lifetime with regular ultrasonic cleaning.

I run TBAC suppressors on my rifles, and they are the primary precision rifle suppressors that I sell. My Thunder Beast 338BA suppresses my .308 and my .260 better than the 30BA suppressor, and my 30BA sounds great on those calibers. From my experience, you can run a 338BA for everything from 338BA down to the 6.5 calibers with great results. Keep in mind that the 338 suppressors are significantly larger and slightly heavier than their 30 caliber counterparts.

+1 on the TBAC .338BA - I run the same - from .260 - .338 and it works great on all of them. I just got the brake so I can use it on my .300 BO - but it does add a bit of weight and length to that, so I may look for an alternate like the .30BA instead...

I have a gen 1 and am wondering if DTA has always had a 3/4x24 thread pitch for the threads? I am getting another rifle and need to make sure what I need for threads for my suppressor.

They've done 3/4x24 thread pitch ever since day one, as far as I know.

I want to start off by saying I hate trolls and have been very patient with desert tech. Their customer service sucks. They put triggers in the srs a1's that didn't have a creep adjustment, I got one of these. The safety on my rifle was really loose and would jiggle around which made my buddies crack up "5k good call, my daughter's red rider does the same thing". There was a burr on the bolt that was scraping the chamber when locked. I emailed and called for over 2 weeks with no response. Someone finally picked up when I called and told me about the prototype trigger. They said send it back. I paid for shipping to send it back. The rifle has been there since 4.4.14. It took 2 emails and 2 phone calls to get an update. As of 4.22.14 the rifle was done and was suppose to ship out 4.23.14. Just talked to Ryan at desert tech and it's just sitting in shipping as of today 4.24.14. The rifle had 50 rounds through it, one trip to the range. I started emailing/calling them in mid March. I'm sorry but for 5k this just pissed me off. Not to mention they posted a letter on their Facebook from a law enforcement agency that had a one week turn around on two rifles. So it looks like I'll be shooting the trusty 700 on my hunting trip this weekend I told them I needed the rifle for. For the record I wouldn't even have sent it back for the trigger, but the creepage was all over the place. It was embarrassing letting my buddy shoot it after firing off his bad ass GUNWERKS 7LRM.

Last edited:
[MENTION=98646]kevc1[/MENTION] - This thread has a lot of folks venting their frustration with customer support at DT. Initially it was quite bad - then it got better - sorry to hear is seems to have gotten worse again for you. You may be able to also work with the vendor where your purchased your rifle - often they have some ability to help things along - at the least its another voice talking to DT on your behalf. I know I had a burr on my bolt as well, it was easier to just take a diamond hone and work the burr off rather than send it back. It was quick and I think there were some posts here to that effect. I remember seeing your post about the trigger - but didn't know what became of it. It seems they should have paid for the shipping as well in that case, and its sad its taking them so long to address the issue.

That being said - the folks I have dealt with at DT are always willing to go out of their way to resolve the issues I have had, and while it sometimes takes a while - they have always done right by me - I hope your experience ends up being the same - though it sucks you don't have your rifle for your hunting trip.

Again, best of luck - and hopefully you will get some satisfaction soon.

I want to start off by saying I hate trolls and have been very patient with desert tech. Their customer service sucks. They put triggers in the srs a1's that didn't have a creep adjustment, I got one of these. The safety on my rifle was really loose and would jiggle around which made my buddies crack up "5k good call, my daughter's red rider does the same thing". There was a burr on the bolt that was scraping the chamber when locked. I emailed and called for over 2 weeks with no response. Someone finally picked up when I called and told me about the prototype trigger. They said send it back. I paid for shipping to send it back. The rifle has been there since 4.4.14. It took 2 emails and 2 phone calls to get an update. As of 4.22.14 the rifle was done and was suppose to ship out 4.23.14. Just talked to Ryan at desert tech and it's just sitting in shipping as of today 4.24.14. The rifle had 50 rounds through it, one trip to the range. I started emailing/calling them in mid March. I'm sorry but for 5k this just pissed me off. Not to mention they posted a letter on their Facebook from a law enforcement agency that had a one week turn around on two rifles. So it looks like I'll be shooting the trusty 700 on my hunting trip this weekend I told them I needed the rifle for. For the record I wouldn't even have sent it back for the trigger, but the creepage was all over the place. It was embarrassing letting my buddy shoot it after firing off his bad ass GUNWERKS 7LRM.

I have this trigger in mine as well, although I was able to get it adjusted to a nice 4lb pull with no creep. I posted about it a couple of pages ago with no response, prototype Huh... Who knew.

Kevc1,

I was quite surprised to hear of your experience, so I reached out to my rep at DTA to see what could possibly have happened. Obviously this is not the same type of experience we have heard from our customers.

Apparently the rifle was received by DTA on April 9th at 9:15 AM. You were informed on April 17th that they replaced your trigger, but were also going to replace your receiver to address any other potential issues. New receiver means new serial number and paperwork that must be submitted. There was a delay in paperwork on the government side, to no fault of DTA... and the rifle is now ready to ship and will go out either today/tomorrow. Does that sound about right?

Then I inquired about the LEO rifles you mentioned, and it looks like one had a cracked plastic skin, and the other needed a new recoil pad. Those issues literally take about 10 minutes to address, so it doesn't surprise me that they were handled very quickly. I would anticipate that any customer with those type of minor issues would be turned around in an equally fast period of time. However, getting a new receiver and having the shop manager personally address every possible issue on a rifle would take considerably longer. Manufacture and coating of a new receiver outside of the normal production process would take a bit more time for sure.

I can totally empathize with your frustration. I agree that things like that should never happen on an expensive rifle. Still, I've not seen a single manufacturer that has not had similar instances take place more than once. It looks like DTA was in possession of the rifle for 12 working days. To get a rifle serviced and back in your hands under a month is pretty good I think, but that's just my opinion. I've had FAR worse experiences with other manufacturers. I know that DTA is always hiring people and consistently looking for ways to improve their products. They also have hired many people to help take care of service issues as well. Now that you're rifle has been whipped into shape and will be heading back to you, I'm quite certain that you'll be happy with it.

If there's ever anything I can do to help, just give me a shout!

orkan - thanks for filling us in ! Great to hear that level of detail about the issue - and gives me some relief in case I have to send mine in for anything - for that type of work, it sure sounds reasonable to me - though I know it can be frustrating particularly if you have a competition or planned trip coming up soon !

though I know it can be frustrating particularly if you have a competition or planned trip coming up soon !
Indeed. It really does suck when your rifle is down for any reason. With the economy the way it has been, it's difficult to forgive manufacturing defects when something costs as much as these rifles do. At the end of the day, everyone is human and we all make mistakes. I've been too harsh with a warranty issue with a company before. Then I've been too nice at times as well.

At the end of the day I know that DTA sincerely wants their customers to be happy, and that's the kind of company I want to represent in our product offering.

I hope Kev gets his rifle and is so happy with it that he will find that the issues have been worth the trouble.

Orkan again to the rescue. I have purchased many spare parts through Primal Rights and let me shout out that their​ communication and CS has always been top notch. It's unfortunate that all spare parts cannot always be immediately available, but they have always taken great care of me!

Exactly what paperwork has to be submitted to the govt on a title 1 rifle when a receiver has been changed? This is the first I've ever heard of that? For title 2 stuff ( suppressors, MG's, sbrs etc) there is paperwork submitted to the feds but not for rifles and pistols. As a manufacturer I note in my bound book what has been manufactured and who it transferred to. There are no forms to fill out for the feds, nothing to go in to any govt agency and no delays that aren't my own. For a replacement receiver I note in my bound book that the returned receiver was destroyed and a different serial returned to the customer.
I'm not trying to slag off DTA as I've had no issues with them and neither have any of my customers. They've been great but I call BS on the govt stuff.

Frank

Last edited:
I love my dta rifle I love that they are American and I believe it is the weapon of the future
The only thing I'd change is a carbon fiber barrel for the lighter recoil calibers
I am so into dta that I have sold all but one of my AR rifles and parts and am anticipating the arrival of the semi auto:)

I love my dta rifle I love that they are American and I believe it is the weapon of the future
The only thing I'd change is a carbon fiber barrel for the lighter recoil calibers
I am so into dta that I have sold all but one of my AR rifles and parts and am anticipating the arrival of the semi auto:)

I think there was somebody making CF barrels for DTA, but I don't remember who it was. Maybe somebody else does. In general I think CF barrels are kind of a nitch market because if you do a lot of shooting you are going to heat up a CF barrel pretty fast. CF uses an epoxy binder that has a lower heat transfer coefficient than steels so it won't shed heat as fast. A buddy of mine has a Christensen Arms gun with a CF barrel. He packs the gun across the desert for hunting so it works for what he needs it for. It is extremely light.

I think there was somebody making CF barrels for DTA, but I don't remember who it was. Maybe somebody else does. In general I think CF barrels are kind of a nitch market because if you do a lot of shooting you are going to heat up a CF barrel pretty fast. CF uses an epoxy binder that has a lower heat transfer coefficient than steels so it won't shed heat as fast. A buddy of mine has a Christensen Arms gun with a CF barrel. He packs the gun across the desert for hunting so it works for what he needs it for. It is extremely light.

That's what I was looking for a mountain weight accurate bullpup
Proof research makes cf barrels but doesn't stock DTA contours SAC told me it would be a year or better before they could get me one
Proof has a video smashing a cinder block in half with one of their barrels then putting it back in the gun and shooting it achieving the same accuracy as before it's impressive
They also claim the cf acts like a vibration sync

Has anybody ever compared the weight of a deep-fluted barrel to a CF one? Isn't a CF barrel just a normal deep-fluted one with epoxy and CF added to regain some of the lost stiffness? A deep-fluted barrel should cool better so it seems like it might be better in some ways.

just got my Thunder Beast, so no need for this delta p 5/8x24 - 3/4x24 adapter AAC 308 mount combo

posted it fs in options but thought it would get a better look here if anybody has a need

Has anybody ever compared the weight of a deep-fluted barrel to a CF one? Isn't a CF barrel just a normal deep-fluted one with epoxy and CF added to regain some of the lost stiffness? A deep-fluted barrel should cool better so it seems like it might be better in some ways.

Proof research says they turn down their barrels then wrap them
They also don't use normal carbon fiber practices
I've done carbon fiber stuff their strength and durability I have never seen before with CF so I'm assuming it's a unique process
I encourage people to look them up on you tube

Kevc1,

I was quite surprised to hear of your experience, so I reached out to my rep at DTA to see what could possibly have happened. Obviously this is not the same type of experience we have heard from our customers.

Apparently the rifle was received by DTA on April 9th at 9:15 AM. You were informed on April 17th that they replaced your trigger, but were also going to replace your receiver to address any other potential issues. New receiver means new serial number and paperwork that must be submitted. There was a delay in paperwork on the government side, to no fault of DTA... and the rifle is now ready to ship and will go out either today/tomorrow. Does that sound about right?

Then I inquired about the LEO rifles you mentioned, and it looks like one had a cracked plastic skin, and the other needed a new recoil pad. Those issues literally take about 10 minutes to address, so it doesn't surprise me that they were handled very quickly. I would anticipate that any customer with those type of minor issues would be turned around in an equally fast period of time. However, getting a new receiver and having the shop manager personally address every possible issue on a rifle would take considerably longer. Manufacture and coating of a new receiver outside of the normal production process would take a bit more time for sure.

I can totally empathize with your frustration. I agree that things like that should never happen on an expensive rifle. Still, I've not seen a single manufacturer that has not had similar instances take place more than once. It looks like DTA was in possession of the rifle for 12 working days. To get a rifle serviced and back in your hands under a month is pretty good I think, but that's just my opinion. I've had FAR worse experiences with other manufacturers. I know that DTA is always hiring people and consistently looking for ways to improve their products. They also have hired many people to help take care of service issues as well. Now that you're rifle has been whipped into shape and will be heading back to you, I'm quite certain that you'll be happy with it.

If there's ever anything I can do to help, just give me a shout!

Orkan, thank you for looking into it for me. Don at DT made it right and over nighted my rifle. I now see why everyone was bragging about with DT's trigger. My first trigger was really bad compared to the new one and the safety is firm and positive. I don't really want to get into any of the problems I had with them anymore. The issue was just communication. We were able to communicate and they did their best to make it right, and I feel they did. I have seen a lot of your videos and posts online. Thank you for all the info you have put out there. You actually helped persuade me into getting a DT. I'm saving up to get one of your buddies barrels as we speak. Thank you

Proof research says they turn down their barrels then wrap them
They also don't use normal carbon fiber practices
I've done carbon fiber stuff their strength and durability I have never seen before with CF so I'm assuming it's a unique process
I encourage people to look them up on you tube

"Normal" CF barrels are just steel and CF, right? As far as I know, Proof Research makes a thin steel liner, then uses some sort of epoxy or something (with apparently good heat transfer), and finishes it off with a thin layer of CF (probably to make it stronger and to make it look better). So it should be a lot lighter, without the heat transfer problems of "normal" CF barrels (they supposedly transfer heat much better than regular steel barrels). Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

"Normal" CF barrels are just steel and CF, right? As far as I know, Proof Research makes a thin steel liner, then uses some sort of epoxy or something (with apparently good heat transfer), and finishes it off with a thin layer of CF (probably to make it stronger and to make it look better). So it should be a lot lighter, without the heat transfer problems of "normal" CF barrels (they supposedly transfer heat much better than regular steel barrels). Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

That's how I understand it

Orkan, thank you for looking into it for me. Don at DT made it right and over nighted my rifle. I now see why everyone was bragging about with DT's trigger. My first trigger was really bad compared to the new one and the safety is firm and positive. I don't really want to get into any of the problems I had with them anymore. The issue was just communication. We were able to communicate and they did their best to make it right, and I feel they did. I have seen a lot of your videos and posts online. Thank you for all the info you have put out there. You actually helped persuade me into getting a DT. I'm saving up to get one of your buddies barrels as we speak. Thank you
Happy to be of service! I'm glad that you get to experience the rifle how it was meant to be! If you ever find yourself in communication limbo again, just give me a call.

20140426_132317.jpg20140426_132152.jpg20140426_132330.jpg20140426_132359.jpg

my DT SRS A1. boner. JEC threaded me one of their brakes for no extra charge and only took about a week. thank you Don M. at Desert Tech

I finally took the time to fire 4 different calibers at a single target, swapping barrels after 2 rounds per caliber. I'm running a Premier 5-25 Gen2XR and a SAS Titanium Reaper can for the 300 win and smaller. The barrels are factory DTA barrels except for the 260 which is from SAC. My chassis is a Gen 1 but the SAC 260 barrel has a Gen 2 extension. I time it by lining up the flutes through the handguard.

dta_kit.jpg

I fired 16 rounds in the following order:

1. 2x 338 Lapua (300 scenar, 92gr H1000, lapua brass, 2820 fps)
2. 2x 260 Remington (140 amax, 41.5gr H4350, 3x lapua brass, 1x RP brass, 2777 fps), suppressed
3. 2x 300 win mag (208 amax, 72gr RL-22, RP brass, 2950 fps ), suppressed
4. 2x 308 win (178 bthp, 44.5gr varget, lapua brass, 2700 fps), suppressed
5. 2x 338 Lapua
6. 2x 260 Rem suppressed
7. 2x 300 win suppressed
8. 2x 308 win (first without suppressor)

The standout in the crowd is the 338 lapua barrel which has a noticeable difference between the first round after installing the barrel and the 2nd. I had noticed this previously but had not documented the exact offset yet. Otherwise I was quite happy with the results. These loads are all about 1/2-3/4 MOA usually and even with swapping barrels they managed to mostly fall to within 1" at 100 yards (except for the 308 where I forgot to put the can on for one shot).

dta_test.jpg

dta_308.jpg

dta_300.jpg

dta_260.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping a left - handed version of this rifle will be released.

Nick has said it's in the works. Now that they've caught up on the backlog, perhaps we'll see it later this year?

Vinsonr, did you happen to fire a group from each barrel without removal, as a delta to compare against?

I did not fire other groups yesterday. Having done load testing for each caliber and shot the 308, 260 and 300 win in tactical competitions I'm comfortable and confident in the rifle and ammunition combo to shoot sub-moa.

I have this for the 338 from original load testing. Out of the 7 groups in my load devel 6 were sub-moa and 4 were sub 3/4 moa.

338 Lapua Load Development for the DTA SRS

338-load-6.jpg

Last edited:
Nick has said it's in the works. Now that they've caught up on the backlog, perhaps we'll see it later this year?

Ok, sounds good.

It'll be a race between Desert Tech and AI, then! :)

Don't hold your breath. I gave up after seven years, but with the way things are going for me this year, It'll probably come out right after I buy my RH .50bmg HTI !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Later

What color are those skins?

can you take somemore pics? outside maybe?

thanks</div></div>

Here you go...

FDE skins with FDE cerakote
img_1873.jpg

img_1874.jpg

Green skins with Green cerakote (The new green skins match better this this pic appears to show lol)
img_1875.jpg

img_1876.jpg

Thanks </div></div>

Do we even dar ask how many you have not including the HTI?

What kind of front tri-pod it this, and were can they be purchased? Thank you

Guys,

I have received several PM in regards to what the DTA production version of the soft case/shooting mat looks like.

Here are a few pics of it on desk, Will get field pics this weekend.

Top View with all buckles unfastened
img_1868.jpg

Bottom View with all buckles unfastened
img_1869.jpg

Inside View with foldable mat area in stowed position
img_1870.jpg

Inside View with all of my stuff inside lol
img_1871.jpg

Inside View of pouch area with mags, torque tool, etc
img_1872.jpg

I have also received request for monopod pics

Here is monopod in stowed position
monopodup.jpg

Here is semi extended monopod
monopodpartial.jpg

Here is complete extended monopod
monopodfull.jpg

Here is complete rifle pic with monopod extended
monopodrifle.jpg

NOTE: To operate the monopod all the user has to do is pull down on that knurled knob and the pod shoots down, then all you do is turn the knurled knob in either direction and make your fine adjustments.

Thanks

Can anyone identify the beige tri-pod with the rest in these photo's please? Thank you!

FYI Covert owners, I have posted an 18" .308 SAC-built covert barrel made from a Bartlein blank in the options and accessories for sale section.

Anyone running an angled fore grip for shooting offhand? I'd like opinions on weather the back half of the rail channel could be dremeled off to slide it back closer to the balance point of the rifle like the pic below. Personally I'd like to get it back even further.

SRSAngledGrip_zpsc33f4c2f.jpg

Last edited:
Since this is the DTA thread , I got an SRS A1 coming in with the new slimmer style fore end , Black . Anyone have a black New style covert length forend they might be interested in letting go of ? Here's a pic of what I have , but wanting the shorter covert !
4cb6cea50603e22cf679d0d42fa8d5b6.jpg