• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I just lightly dremeled the feed lips with a sanding wheel and followed up with some emery cloth to polish them. Much smoother feeding and loading....and the lips no longer gouge my brass.

I've never had a failure to feed even after shooting enough ammo through my SRS to burn out two barrels, so I left the followers alone.

If you read back somewhere through the pages of this thread over a year ago you'll see my first and only complaint about the rifle was the cheap quality mags.

Considering all the other benefits this rifle offers, I got over it real quick.

Thanks!

My new DTA is here and home finally

I finally got my DTA done from the Cerakote guy... he broke the trigger by over torquing it. So a new one is on the way. I love this gun, especially the .338 Norma Magnum AI. I will send a full body shot once, I have the scope mounted to it.

Attachments

• 20140514_080732.jpg
    20140514_080732.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20140514_075433.jpg
    20140514_075433.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 48
What's the verdict on the 284 win out of a DTA? There are guys tearing up my local 1000yd matches with it and while having fun using my trusty 22" 308 win, I'd like to be competitive, haha.

Is anyone running one currently? I like that I'll be able to run my 308 bolt but what about magazines? Feeding issues?

I can't get over how tall the elevation turret is on the BEAST - like a sub's conning tower. Impressive scope, regardless.

I see no reason why we couldn't get them to work in the regular 308 mag. There is a lot of room in the front of the DTA mags, so you'd be able to seat pretty much wherever you want.

Otherwise, could I interest you in a 7LRM conversion? We've been doing a lot of them lately, and there is no question mark there. They work flawlessly in a DTA, and you'd really put stomping those 7mm pills down range.

Give me a call and we can talk specifics on either!

What's the verdict on the 284 win out of a DTA? There are guys tearing up my local 1000yd matches with it and while having fun using my trusty 22" 308 win, I'd like to be competitive, haha.

Is anyone running one currently? I like that I'll be able to run my 308 bolt but what about magazines? Feeding issues?

I know propulsionclimbing had a .284 for a while in his. He said it was so difficult to get it to feed, he almost gave up on it. Wouldn't recommend it.

I have a new 300 win gen 2 conv kit I just posted FS, but before I let it go...any thoughts on a different caliber using the mag bolt head and magazine? I could just sell the 300 win barrel.

I am going to do a LR mule deer hunt this fall. My 338L is great for Elk and the 6.5x47 on deer/antelope out to 600 or so. I love the 6.5's but do not want to get into the brass MFG of the SAUM

Thoughts from this great crew would be appreciated

So I was reading over the last couple of pages and saw a couple questions that I could help answer. Brown Dog said he couldn't get his mags to drop free. The solution I use is very thin electrical type washers in between the skin bolts right next to the mag well. Now the mags drop cleaner than my brass weighted Glock mags.

Nukes asked about the 26 Nosler. We just bought a reamer for a friend who is having us make a Rem clone 700. The 26 does use a standard mag bolt. Russ tells me that any of the RUM family will not fit in the mags except for the first round. So essentially if one were to choose to run a 26 Nosler or any other of the RUM family, it would be a single shot.

Detroit, I hear your wants. In my opinion the jewel of the magnums is the 7 SAUM. We have a new spec reamer that allows a 7 SAUM to run from a short action Rem 700 (with a mag bolt face of course). Propulsion climbing successfully bent the feel lips on a 308 magazine to flawlessly run the 6.5 SAUM. Maybe this is your solution? Brass is certainly an issue with the SAUM as you stated, but I know that Copper Creek is now selling 6.5 SAUM brass that is fully ready to run. It is expensive though (like $2-3 each I think). I don't know if either of those options float your boat, but at least you have something to think about.

Take care guys,
Ty

Dogtown , just a suggestion have you tried the Dyer HBC 155 target projectiles ,I've been running them for years in my short barrel 308's with success ,they are also reasonably cheap and obtainable in NZ .

So I was reading over the last couple of pages and saw a couple questions that I could help answer. Brown Dog said he couldn't get his mags to drop free. The solution I use is very thin electrical type washers in between the skin bolts right next to the mag well. Now the mags drop cleaner than my brass weighted Glock mags.

Nukes asked about the 26 Nosler. We just bought a reamer for a friend who is having us make a Rem clone 700. The 26 does use a standard mag bolt. Russ tells me that any of the RUM family will not fit in the mags except for the first round. So essentially if one were to choose to run a 26 Nosler or any other of the RUM family, it would be a single shot.

Detroit, I hear your wants. In my opinion the jewel of the magnums is the 7 SAUM. We have a new spec reamer that allows a 7 SAUM to run from a short action Rem 700 (with a mag bolt face of course). Propulsion climbing successfully bent the feel lips on a 308 magazine to flawlessly run the 6.5 SAUM. Maybe this is your solution? Brass is certainly an issue with the SAUM as you stated, but I know that Copper Creek is now selling 6.5 SAUM brass that is fully ready to run. It is expensive though (like $2-3 each I think). I don't know if either of those options float your boat, but at least you have something to think about.

Take care guys,
Ty

Ty,

thanks for the info, gives me food for thought, does not look like I would get much more out of the 6.5 saum than if I ran heavy pressures in my 6.5x47L

I suppose I could just take my 338L, most likely would kill a nice muley at range as well.

e6yjenas.jpg

I've now had every gen of DTA and will continue to run em. Just need a semi auto and the big boy ;)

I noticed you have flip caps. On the older NF scopes the entire eyepiece rotated when you changed magnification. Is the BEAST not like that?

These are very functional in comparison to other flip up's out there. They don't just pop up for no reason, once they are closed, they stay closed.
The front flip up cover is fed over a a steel ring which has little lobes all around the o.d and locks it very securely in place. This still ring has threads on it's i.d and then screws into the front of your scope (where you shade would normally sit) locking into position. Now the eyepiece flip up was well thought of.
It has a locking ring ring which 'clamps' itself to the eyepiece, once tightened in this position it will stay there.Now you're probably thinking " so what happens when i rotate the eyepiece to zoom in and out, doesnt the cover catch on the stock?", No it doesnt. The clamping ring also has what feels like notches located in its housing which allows the flip up cover to be rotated/timed every 15 degrees, so that's 6 locating positions per 90 degrees of a turn

Hope all that made sense

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

BTW the front flip up fits both the NXS and BEAST model with no issues, however the eyepiece will be to large for the NXS.
The o.d of the NXS eyepiece is approximately 43mm where the BEAST sits at 46mm. Even with the clamping ring wound as tight as possible it will not grip the eyepiece.

For those of you wanting to know about HTI mounts vs BEAST

she just fits...JUST

1.6mm of clearance on either side

20140518_133856.jpg

These are very functional in comparison to other flip up's out there. They don't just pop up for no reason, once they are closed, they stay closed.
The front flip up cover is fed over a a steel ring which has little lobes all around the o.d and locks it very securely in place. This still ring has threads on it's i.d and then screws into the front of your scope (where you shade would normally sit) locking into position. Now the eyepiece flip up was well thought of.
It has a locking ring ring which 'clamps' itself to the eyepiece, once tightened in this position it will stay there.Now you're probably thinking " so what happens when i rotate the eyepiece to zoom in and out, doesnt the cover catch on the stock?", No it doesnt. The clamping ring also has what feels like notches located in its housing which allows the flip up cover to be rotated/timed every 15 degrees, so that's 6 locating positions per 90 degrees of a turn

Hope all that made sense

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

BTW the front flip up fits both the NXS and BEAST model with no issues, however the eyepiece will be to large for the NXS.
The o.d of the NXS eyepiece is approximately 43mm where the BEAST sits at 46mm. Even with the clamping ring wound as tight as possible it will not grip the eyepiece.

For those of you wanting to know about HTI mounts vs BEAST

she just fits...JUST

1.6mm of clearance on either side

View attachment 38334

Great pictures! Seems like a good choice for the BEAST then.
Also fixed one of your image links :)

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk

This is why I am running a Premier Heritage on my SRS. With it's zeroing features, it seems like it is made for switch barrel rifles like the DTA SRS/Covert/HTI and new AI rifles. I am excited for the new Tangent Theta scopes, i just wish their pricing was similar to the Premier.

I emailed them about their LEO pricing and they couldn't even bother to email me back so I'm over them. No issues with my Premier Heritage so I came to the conclusion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. lol

To my knowledge Tangent Theta doesn't do direct sales. If you'd like some help with pricing, I'd be happy to assist!

Apparently they don't do emails either! lol
On their website under "Sales" and then under "I'm interested in" you can select "Military and Police Individual Sales" so that makes no sense if they don't do direct sales. Sales | Tangent Theta
Lets say their website is wrong and what you're saying is true then I should have received an email saying so with a list of dealers in my country.
As much as I'd love to do business with some of you fine dealers I'm in Canada so its not an option. I can't even track down a spare 300wm barrel up here.

...Nukes asked about the 26 Nosler. We just bought a reamer for a friend who is having us make a Rem clone 700. The 26 does use a standard mag bolt. Russ tells me that any of the RUM family will not fit in the mags except for the first round. So essentially if one were to choose to run a 26 Nosler or any other of the RUM family, it would be a single shot....

Thanks Ty!

Just to make certain, do the HTI scope mounts that DTA offer work with a Gen. 1 SRS? I finally may have the money saved to upgrade my optic so I'll need a mount.

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Hey there, if anyone is looking, I have a gen2 26" 338 dta conversion kit with 2 mags for sale. Maybe 15 rounds through the barrel. All parts like new. 1750

Fireguy, have you used 7LRM?

Orkan, I would be very much interested in a 7LRM barrel. I've been considering a build. I went to your website and saw the "TS Custom" barrels you're doing.

You have any in stock? If not, what is turn-around time?

I also noted you have multiple contours listed.

We do have a couple 7LRM barrels in stock right now. 9-twist, 26", cerakote FDE, and 3/4x24 threads. One has a DTA brake timed up and is not fluted, the other has a stealth thread protector and is straight fluted.

We also have Forster Ultra Micrometer seating dies that started out as a 284win die, and had the sliding sleeve reamed out to 7LRM.

For customers that buy the barrel and die together, we have 7LRM headstamped brass for $1.20 each to be bundled with the kit.

I've tried a search and came up empty... I have a Surefire can inbound any day now. I recently got a brake (SFMB-762-SR25) which threads on nicely to my SRS. BUT, the spacers look like their designed for muzzle contact and not shoulder. My concern is that the tapered crown interfacing with flat washers may be a no-go. Anyone tried this yet?

We do have a couple 7LRM barrels in stock right now. 9-twist, 26", cerakote FDE, and 3/4x24 threads. One has a DTA brake timed up and is not fluted, the other has a stealth thread protector and is straight fluted.

We also have Forster Ultra Micrometer seating dies that started out as a 284win die, and had the sliding sleeve reamed out to 7LRM.

For customers that buy the barrel and die together, we have 7LRM headstamped brass for $1.20 each to be bundled with the kit.

PM sent.

Factory Ammo

thebelgian-albums-srs-a1-260rem-picture38951-circle1.jpg

Not just to brag :) but to also demonstrate how capable is the SRS-A1 with factory ammo. In this case, Cor-Bon Performance Match Ammunition 260 Remington 123 Grain Lapua Scenar...
My best group was 5 shots with a 0.6-inch spread (center-to-center) [MENTION=89035]300[/MENTION] yards or 0.2 MOA (1/5 MOA) if I'm not mistaken, not too shabby for factory ammo huh!?!

Anyways, thought I'd share (and brag a little eheh)

thebelgian-albums-srs-a1-260rem-picture38951-circle1.jpg

Not just to brag :) but to also demonstrate how capable is the SRS-A1 with factory ammo. In this case, Cor-Bon Performance Match Ammunition 260 Remington 123 Grain Lapua Scenar...
My best group was 5 shots with a 0.6-inch spread (center-to-center) [MENTION=89035]300[/MENTION] yards or 0.2 MOA (1/5 MOA) if I'm not mistaken, not too shabby for factory ammo huh!?!

Great shooting!

Is that a factory barrel or custom?

I have a SAC barrel inbound in .260 Rem. I hope it shoots as well as yours.

Great shooting!

Thanks! Yup, factory barrel with 465 rounds through it. Funny enough, I shoot better groups [MENTION=89035]300[/MENTION] than @100 yards ah!

Where are you shooting 300yds? In Sacramento, or somewhere else?

Great shooting!

Your SAC will shoot. The only reason I have a SAC's is because I wanted a different length. My DTA barrels shoot just as well, they just need their own recipe.

My 22.5" SAC 6.5x47L literally piles the 136 ScenarL on top of each other at 100 yards. And this was a admittedly fortunate cold bore shot @ 1095 yds with the 6.5 SAC BBL in very volatile multi directional winds. Just love this DTA stuff, I just need to lean to get better at my job! I leave my targets out there, (close to home) and practice a single shot from various distances and positions for hunting scenarios. The other shots were close, but this was my best to date.

I go to Circle S Range in Petaluma... I'm gonna plan a trip to the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center soon tho, let me know if you'd like to tag along!

are you a member at sac valley? just wondering if you been on the 1000yd? im bout ready for a desert trip, to stretch her legs and up my skill some more!

Your SAC will shoot. The only reason I have a SAC's is because I wanted a different length. My DTA barrels shoot just as well, they just need their own recipe.

My 22.5" SAC 6.5x47L literally piles the 136 ScenarL on top of each other at 100 yards. And this was a admittedly fortunate cold bore shot @ 1095 yds with the 6.5 SAC BBL in very volatile multi directional winds. Just love this DTA stuff, I just need to lean to get better at my job! I leave my targets out there, (close to home) and practice a single shot from various distances and positions for hunting scenarios. The other shots were close, but this was my best to date.

Very nice!

I envy you for the awesome shooting opportunities you have available to you. Here in New Jersey, we can only dream about wide open spaces like that.

I own a home (soon to be my retirement home with a little luck) in Texas about a half hour northwest of Austin. Maybe I will get my chance someday :)

Thanks for the feedback on the SAC barrel. Should have mine late this week.

Has anyone used an Eberlestock Pack to carry their DTA?
If so what Pack/Scabbard?

Trying to find something that can be used as a gun carrier and meat hauler this hunting season.

Thanks in advance!

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Has anyone used an Eberlestock Pack to carry their DTA?
If so what Pack/Scabbard?

Trying to find something that can be used as a gun carrier and meat hauler this hunting season.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. X3.
a6emube5.jpg

That's a covert with 16" barrel and the scabbard not deployed. With it deployed it would fit the 26" barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: