• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

ta9avuza.jpg

Covert with 26" .300 mag kit and 30ba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And once you carry it a bit and it settles it only sticks out this far
ejagaqy7.jpg

Hope that helps. Pack is a good size. Probably holds enough for a 2 day or 3 day hike depending on temperature. And is less than 200 I believe.

Holds 2-3 liter reservoirs. And room and compartments for whatever else you need and Molle for anything else.

mypebanu.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! The scabbard on that pack looks pretty wide. Do you think the dta would work with any of the other packs that have slightly narrower scabbards or does the dta require the wide one?

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Thanks for the pictures! The scabbard on that pack looks pretty wide. Do you think the dta would work with any of the other packs that have slightly narrower scabbards or does the dta require the wide one?

I have no experience so can't say with any certainty. On the X3 it gets wedged in there pretty good because of the rubber buttpad on the a1 and the scope turrets getting hung up on my big steiner 5-25. I personally would try to get the wider one unless you are gonna go muzzle down. I run a suppressor so try to stay away from that

Last edited:
I have no experience so can't say with any certainty. On the g3 it gets wedged in there pretty good because of the rubber buttpad on the a1 and the scope turrets getting hung up on my big steiner 5-25. I personally would try to get the wider one unless you are gonna go muzzle down. I run a suppressor so try to stay away from that

I have the same scope and will be using a suppressor as well. I was planning on going muzzle down. Why would that be bad? Heat?

Nah im just not comfortable putting all that weight on the end of my barrel with all the moving and shifting it will do while hiking. Last thing I want Is my zero to be off or threads to be damaged. The rifle must weight 17 lbs or so. There's not facts behind this just my personal thoughts

I suppose you could always just leave the supressor off until read to shoot. That might be the best idea

I'm not and I've never beed there but I def. want to!! Aren't you from SoCal??

No, norcal... Bout 25 mins from sac valley. Ive only been their a couple times since public is only allowed the 300yd range. So i run into the hills/desert.

And is less than 200 I believe.
Are you sure it's a G3? They usually run closer to $390... The X3 is $200
Looking good!! Would you mind taking a pic without the suppressor on, barrel down just to see how much sticks out? Thanks!

Idea! Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Are you sure it's a G3? They usually run closer to $390... The X3 is $200
Looking good!! Would you mind taking a pic without the suppressor on, barrel down just to see how much sticks out? Thanks!

You are correct sir! It's the x3. Awesome pack! Here's the pic you asked for. Again 26" barrel, muzzle down, no suppressor, just a TBAC brake.
e8y7ypuv.jpg
5eguruba.jpg
e6y5y2ad.jpg

I finally got my SRS completed today and got it out to the range. It's an A-1 with a SAC made Bartlein barrel, 26".

I did a little load development using different loads of H4831sc. All loads were .004" off the lands and 139gr Scenars. It didn't really seem to matter much what load I used. They all shot great. The single round was my bore sight shot to get it on paper. The center group was fine tuning the zero. This was the very first 35 rounds through the gun.

Here are a few things I noticed:

1. As many people have commented, the DTA does take a bit of getting used to. My groups got better as I went which was definitely a reflection of my growing comfort level more so than differences in the loads. When a shot hit outside the group, I knew it was me. This rifle is stupid accurate; even more so than my TRG-22 which is a hammer.

2. The monopod is indeed excellent and well worth the extra money.

3. I heard a lot of complaining about the DTA mags; poor quality, sharp edges, hard to load, etc. I didn't find any of this to be true at all, in fact quite the opposite. The mag seems to be very well built with no sharp edges at all. It was easy to load, no scratched brass, no bleeding fingers and there was no nose diving of the follower. It fit snug with no noticeable play. I was very pleasantly surprised. The only issue I noticed was the mag did not drop free when released without some help, but I know this can be easily adjusted.

4. The trigger is good, but not to the level of my TRG, however this was expected. TRG triggers are legendary and for a good reason. I adjusted the trigger as far as it will go to minimize creep, but there is still a fair amount. Pull weight was good. There is a good bit of pull-through on the trigger as well. Not really a problem, but takes some getting used to.

I want to say thanks to Mark and his crew at Short Action Customs. The barrel he did for me looks and shoots incredible. I will definitely be order more in the future.

SRS1.jpg

SRS2.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my SRS completed today and got it out to the range. It's an A-1 with a SAC made Bartlein barrel, 26".

I did a little load development using different loads of H4831sc. All loads were .004" off the lands and 139gr Scenars. It didn't really seem to matter much what load I used. They all shot great. The single round was my bore sight shot to get it on paper. The center group was fine tuning the zero. This was the very first 35 rounds through the gun.

Here are a few things I noticed:

1. As many people have commented, the DTA does take a bit of getting used to. My groups got better as I went which was definitely a reflection of my growing comfort level more so than differences in the loads. When a shot hit outside the group, I knew it was me. This rifle is stupid accurate; even more so than my TRG-22 which is a hammer.

2. The monopod is indeed excellent and well worth the extra money.

3. I heard a lot of complaining about the DTA mags; poor quality, sharp edges, hard to load, etc. I didn't find any of this to be true at all, in fact quite the opposite. The mag seems to be very well built with no sharp edges at all. It was easy to load, no scratched brass, no bleeding fingers and there was no nose diving of the follower. It fit snug with no noticeable play. I was very pleasantly surprised. The only issue I noticed was the mag did not drop free when released without some help, but I know this can be easily adjusted.

4. The trigger is good, but not to the level of my TRG, however this was expected. TRG triggers are legendary and for a good reason. I adjusted the trigger as far as it will go to minimize creep, but there is still a fair amount. Pull weight was good. There is a good bit of pull-through on the trigger as well. Not really a problem, but takes some getting used to.

I want to say thanks to Mark and his crew at Short Action Customs. The barrel he did for me looks and shoots incredible. I will definitely be order more in the future.

SRS1.jpg

SRS2.jpg

Great shooting. I am glad you are liking your rifle A1.

I love my SRS and may be upgrading the Chassis to an A1 shortly.

You won't want to shoot anything else after you've had the platform for several months. Continue to love mine more each trip to the range. From the info sounds like you're shooting a 260-my favorite caliber and the H4831 is great and very forgiving! Enjoy.

You won't want to shoot anything else after you've had the platform for several months. Continue to love mine more each trip to the range. From the info sounds like you're shooting a 260-my favorite caliber and the H4831 is great and very forgiving! Enjoy.

260 Remington is correct. My TRG is also a 260. Wanted my first conversion kit to be in the same caliber since I already have the dies, brass, bullets and powder.

I was pretty nervous investing so much money into one rig but no regrets. Already craving my next range fix.

Does anyone have a bore guide for the .375 HTI? I've contacted Mike Lucas, who said no, and Neil Jones. Jones seemed willing to do it, asked for photos and measurements, but backed out several months later.

Well I finally got my new scope and mount set up today. I'm very pleased with the new combo so far! I decided to go with the Spuhr mount over the DTA mount only because I was able to use a Midway code for a very good purchase price. Also the AADMount caps for the XRS fit and function flawlessly!

2aj9pqd.jpg

29lhiqo.jpg

im not judging your pack at all, looks great. but i was wondering if that back pack was made in the u.s? cause it's dam hard to find them made here anymore.

You are correct sir! It's the x3. Awesome pack! Here's the pic you asked for. Again 26" barrel, muzzle down, no suppressor, just a TBAC brake.
e8y7ypuv.jpg
5eguruba.jpg
e6y5y2ad.jpg

Anyone know if the G3 scabbard is wider than the X3? Thanks!

Yea. Made in Boise ID

I believe they are designed in Boise but made in another country, unless you have a berry compliant model or something. The 3 I have are all made outside the US.

ETA:

Eberlestock's current production comes from a dedicated backpack factory in Vietnam. This facility also produces several other mainstream lines that are popular within the outdoors & recreational communities. Not going to name names, but you'll recognize nearly every one of them if you've ever walked into an REi, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro, etc.

Whether we like it or not, overseas production of many products in this market segment is here to stay. Eberlestock could certainly move this process back to the States, but we may not like the results. For example, Eberlestock did a VERY small production of Berry Compliant packs a while back. They had these packs on display at the SHOT Show back in January. If memory serves, I think they did the G4 Operator, Gunslinger II, and maybe the F3 Halftrack. Anyhow, these packs were 100% identical feature and composition-wise to what they currently produce overseas, except they were manufactured to be Berry compliant. I asked Glen if they were going to start offering Berry compliant packs commercially, to which he answered "no." Reasoning was that he didn't think he could sell enough at the retail pricing required for it to make sense. I suggested that there was definitely a market for such packs, and asked just what kind of retail pricing was he seeking. I was shocked when he said the Berry packs would be 2-3 times more expensive, meaning that a GS II would be priced around $800.00 and a G4 Operator would carry a tag around $1,000. Shocking, yes, but this is the current reality when it comes to production costs in North America.

I'm with the rest of you who lament that it seems nothing we buy today is Made in the USA. Sucks big time, and I wish there was something practical that I could do about it. However, there is a much larger market for well made but foreign produced Eberlestock packs (at their current pricing) than "domestic" production at 2-3x today's retail price. Modern economic realities are at play here...

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ipment/157218-eberlestock-made-usa-china.html

Last edited:
I believe they are designed in Boise but made in another country, unless you have a berry compliant model or something. The 3 I have are all made outside the US.

ETA:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ipment/157218-eberlestock-made-usa-china.html

Wow I did not know that! Not that it really bothers me at all. Tax money is still being made by the US. I'll have a look at my pack when I et home. It is very well made. To be honest in my experience US made does not necessarily mean quality. At all. I'd rather have something well made outside the US than half assed made in the US

Any Covert .308 owners have actual chronographed muzzle velocity for M118LR or equivalent in your rifle?
Please include your altitude if you know it.
A PM would be fine....
Thanks.

John

never mind, found the info close to what I was looking for in post #554 on page 12

Last edited:
I am having an issue with my SRS A-1. My brass is ejecting with a small but fairly deep gouge at the shoulder junction and running about 2/10" straight down the body (see pic). I believe it is happening during ejection, but not 100% certain. I am finding brass shavings in the barrel extention which are mostly in and around the locking lugs. Some also sticking to the locking lugs on the bolt. None in the chamber. The gouge seems to occur at the 4:00 position relative to the case.

I have inspected it as well as I can with my fingers and a bore scope but can't find any obvious sharp edges or burrs.

Has any one else experienced this? If so, what was the cause and how did you fix it?

gougedbrass.jpg

I am having an issue with my SRS A-1. My brass is ejecting with a small but fairly deep gouge at the shoulder junction and running about 2/10" straight down the body (see pic). I believe it is happening during ejection, but not 100% certain. I am finding brass shavings in the barrel extention which are mostly in and around the locking lugs. Some also sticking to the locking lugs on the bolt. None in the chamber. The gouge seems to occur at the 4:00 position relative to the case.

I have inspected it as well as I can with my fingers and a bore scope but can't find any obvious sharp edges or burrs.

Has any one else experienced this? If so, what was the cause and how did you fix it?

gougedbrass.jpg

UPDATE: I removed and reinstalled the barrel twice during inspection and re-cleaned everything. The problem seems to have resolved itself. Brass is now ejecting with no marks. Perhaps some debris in the chamber?

I'll be shooting again on Saturday. Hopefully this was a fluke and won't re-occur.

I would expect there was some crap in there. Did you clean it thoroughly before firing new?

That is something that is overlooked with surprising regularity in the firearms world. First order of business with a new firearm is to field strip and clean/inspect everything. This helps you get a better understanding of your host, but also ensures the factory didn't get sloppy in some obvious place. Machine shops are pretty dirty places, and even though DTA's shop is one of the cleanest I've ever seen, there are still chips, grease, and metal flakes that get around a shop floor. Very easy for some of it to find its way into a firearm. I use a foam swab to clean the lug recesses in the barrel extension, and then ensure the bolt gets cleaned thoroughly and grease deposited on the lugs engagement surfaces.

With that said, DTA's are work horses, so the brass most often will have more scuffs and scratches than a traditional rifle would exhibit. Though they shouldn't be carving hunks out of your brass.

I would expect there was some crap in there. Did you clean it thoroughly before firing new?

That is something that is overlooked with surprising regularity in the firearms world. First order of business with a new firearm is to field strip and clean/inspect everything. This helps you get a better understanding of your host, but also ensures the factory didn't get sloppy in some obvious place. Machine shops are pretty dirty places, and even though DTA's shop is one of the cleanest I've ever seen, there are still chips, grease, and metal flakes that get around a shop floor. Very easy for some of it to find its way into a firearm. I use a foam swab to clean the lug recesses in the barrel extension, and then ensure the bolt gets cleaned thoroughly and grease deposited on the lugs engagement surfaces.

With that said, DTA's are work horses, so the brass most often will have more scuffs and scratches than a traditional rifle would exhibit. Though they shouldn't be carving hunks out of your brass.

I did clean it, but I guess not quite as well as I thought at the time. Must have missed something.

Anyway, all's well now.

Thanks.

It can be purchased separately. Just give Madison a call on Monday.

Last edited:
Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, Ty. I still have a ways to go before I would consider myself a competent shooter. Thanks for the kind words though.

Photos are courtesy of JFCOMFORT and the guys over at Sin City Precision.

Here are some recent pictures of our SRS Coverts in the field with 26" 338LM kits installed on a Red Stag hunt we did last month. These aren't even the big boys we shot but they are the record distance kills we got on the hunt. :)

Firing position that my brother took his first Red Stag at a distance of 850 meters.
IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1792.jpg

Location of Stag, firing position can be seen the the background at the bottom edge of the very large dirt spot in the top half of the hayfield flat.
DSC00274.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

1400 yard Red Stag kill. First shot hit him in the front shoulder he ran 100 meters then bedded down. We assumed he was already dead by the time we got to him but as we approached he jumped and starting running so I dropped him with my second shot at approx 150 yds while running with an offhand shot, he flipped head over heals it really a great time!
1400yardstaglocation.jpg

RedStagRunningShot.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

Last edited: