• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Official s&b ultra short thread!!!

Foweis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
New mexico, USA
Hey guys, just wondering if Theres any info on these. Not muh out there.
Anyone running one?
Any complaints?
Do you suggest getting one?
Etc..
Thinking about buying the non illuminated version, since it weighs less and and shorter, but has more ring mount space.

Thanks

Let's see sum pics, and opinions!!

Last edited:
I did a quick comparison out at Mile High a few weeks ago between the Ultra Short and a Gen II Vortex they had just got in. Was curious to see how the glass compared. With respect to the S&B, it is one of those few scopes where you just wonder how the f they make something so gorgeous. It almost felt lighter than the specs and was just a pristine piece in every way. It was a non-Illum version by the way. Mile High might still have it if you're in the market for one now. You won't be disappointed...

Last edited:
I was at Mile High today and they still have it, I fondled it and really like it a lot!
It's on my radar now.

They've only recently started hitting dealers. The 3-20x version is forthcoming as well...

Ironically enough, I just received mine today. PMII 5-20 ultra short, with illuminated reticle, and H59 reticle. First impressions, love it. The rings I'm using are from APA. I have plenty of room using these rings. I plan on hitting the range tomorrow for a full functions test. To be cont...........

Last edited:

Overall length of scope compared to the overall length of the rifle. Barrel is 26" with the new GenII Little bastard brake.

wonder if the ERA-TAC mounts will fit. Gotta ask Jason

Finding a uni-mount that fits will be tricky - there's not a lot of real estate around the turrets with that illumination knob there. Independent rings like he's got mounted there might be your best bet at this point.

Compared to a full size design, do you give up anything with the ultra short? Just trying to understand the optics and why all scopes aren't this short. Like, do you lose FOV? Is parallax or CA worse? Seems too good to be true, you can't have it all right?

Finding a uni-mount that fits will be tricky - there's not a lot of real estate around the turrets with that illumination knob there. Independent rings like he's got mounted there might be your best bet at this point.

I've got one of these on the way and am looking for a uni mount as well. The guys at EuroOptic said that ERA-TAC had something that would work, and I also saw on a separate thread here on the hide where Spuhr is looking to put something out.

I've got one of these on the way and am looking for a uni mount as well. The guys at EuroOptic said that ERA-TAC had something that would work, and I also saw on a separate thread here on the hide where Spuhr is looking to put something out.

Speaking of spuhr I had milehigh send me a pic of a SB 5-20 non illum attached to a spuhr on a AI AT, I think it looks great!
That's the spuhr 4001 pic mount.

Alright peeps after spending the day on the range with the new S&B, I must say I do indeed love it. I shot 100-900 yards all day. The functions are perfect, the glass is unlike any scope I've ran. The small size came into play when I was on different barricades. The weight of the scope is stupid awesome compared to other scopes I've ran. Eye relief was great. Parallax worked awesome.

It took some getting use to the elevation knob, with the locking ring but by mid-day I was running the scope like a fine tuned engine. I also loved that the windage knob is covered. I'm a reticle shooter when it comes to compensating for wind so I very rarely touch my windage knob. However, with all my previous scopes that have the windage knob open, I've found on certain stages/barricades, the windage knob sometimes gets bumped and rotates a few tenths. With the cover on it I have no worries of that happening.

The H59 reticle was great when I choose to use reticle only for elevation. My fear when I first ordered the scope with the H59 was will the reticle be to busy. So far from being busy. I was able to spot impacts and/or splash all day.

The only complaint I have is my level. I normally run the Horus level with degree finder but with this short scope, along with the illumination dial, there is zero area on the scope to mount the level to. So I thought well I'll just put the USO level on the scope base. Not happening. I choose the shortest rings possible so I could utilize full elevation capabilities and the lowest placement of my check riser. Well with using the shortest rings I have zero area of clearance for the level to fit under. Time to come up with something else for my level to mount to.

I'll be running this more every day and up coming matches. I'll update any info over this time period.

Alright peeps after spending the day on the range with the new S&B, I must say I do indeed love it. I shot 100-900 yards all day. The functions are perfect, the glass is unlike any scope I've ran. The small size came into play when I was on different barricades. The weight of the scope is stupid awesome compared to other scopes I've ran. Eye relief was great. Parallax worked awesome.

It took some getting use to the elevation knob, with the locking ring but by mid-day I was running the scope like a fine tuned engine. I also loved that the windage knob is covered. I'm a reticle shooter when it comes to compensating for wind so I very rarely touch my windage knob. However, with all my previous scopes that have the windage knob open, I've found on certain stages/barricades, the windage knob sometimes gets bumped and rotates a few tenths. With the cover on it I have no worries of that happening.

The H59 reticle was great when I choose to use reticle only for elevation. My fear when I first ordered the scope with the H59 was will the reticle be to busy. So far from being busy. I was able to spot impacts and/or splash all day.

The only complaint I have is my level. I normally run the Horus level with degree finder but with this short scope, along with the illumination dial, there is zero area on the scope to mount the level to. So I thought well I'll just put the USO level on the scope base. Not happening. I choose the shortest rings possible so I could utilize full elevation capabilities and the lowest placement of my check riser. Well with using the shortest rings I have zero area of clearance for the level to fit under. Time to come up with something else for my level to mount to.

I'll be running this more every day and up coming matches. I'll update any info over this time period.

Haha great, mine should be here tomorrow. Non illum p4f.
I'm so glad you liked it.

Talked to Jason @ EuroOptic today and did some youtube searching and they (ERA-TAC) will have them for the SB ultra short. Also if you look at the vid in the 5th minute, thats an ERA-TAC unimount on the 5-20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcG-YN60NtU

@Snyper - how finicky is the eyebox?

Jon its just the right amount of finicky. What this means is you are either lined up and have full view or it's blacked out and have zero view. Me personally, I like that that due to it puts my anchor point in the exact same spot every time and I don't have to worry about POI issues due to poor cheek placement. Don't get me wrong, there is still some movent between full view and blackout, but it's not much.

As far as the length from scope to eye, it's about like all S&B scopes. I had zero issues with this.

That's good news. I've got a regular length 3-20 and really like the eyebox, but I'd like something else with lower profile turrets.

@snyper. It's exactly how he said it. Well I got it today and just finished mounting. Looks perfect to me.

Fowels looks great. Have you shot with it yet?

Nope not yet, but I noticed something that didn't know before. The illuminated version comes with there new low double turn elevation turret, and the non illum comes with there new 16mil single turn extra low profile turret.

Nope not yet, but I noticed something that didn't know before. The illuminated version comes with there new low double turn elevation turret, and the non illum comes with there new 16mil single turn extra low profile turret.

Ive got a single turn thats illuminated - msr ccw. I think they come in a number of combinations across single and double turn offerings.

Ive got a single turn thats illuminated - msr ccw. I think they come in a number of combinations across single and double turn offerings.

Ah okay. Sounds. Good. Just got back from the range. It functioned flawlessly. Crank up crank down. Quick zero. Up shoot down shoot. Perfect. Glass as usual is superb. Love the fact the windage knob is covered. Parallax is on the dot!! Guys this is probably my favorite scope. 11.8 inches, 50mm objective, under 2 pounds. Low profile turrets. What's not to like.
I have it on a 16.5" barreled AI AT, I shot suppressed and got 3 rounds on a 8" plate at 973 yards. Yes with a 16" barrel 308.
Plus with a 20moa base I have all 16mils available. LOVE THIS THING!!.

Also the spurh 4001 I think is perfect hight for this scope. Obviously when they (AI) do come out with the shorter rail I will swap it but for now it's just right!

Out of interest... I did some quick calculations on the FOV at various magnifications.
The data suggests that it's 5-20 with a FOV of 7800mm-1950mm at 100m.
Which mathematically implies it's a perfect zoom, without any tunneling ?
1950 * (20 / 5) = 7800

Is that correct ? - Is there any tunneling on this scope ?

That's pretty awesome !

So...
the 5-25 starts tunneling at around 7x.
the 4-16 starts tunneling at around 5x.
the 3-20 starts tunneling at around 3.25x. (0.25x which is basically close to non)
the 5-20 has no tunneling.

The 3-20 would seem to have 8.4m of FOV at 5x, where the 5-20 seems to have 7.8m. (calculated).
That's 6 Mil difference at min magnification, and 1.5 Mil at max magnification...and more usefully at 10x, it's 3 Mil difference.
Which is 7.7% less FOV than the 3-20.

So unless you're needing the extra FOV, the 5-20 really seems like a great little scope.

Yup. No tunneling. Anyone out there that wants a great compact scope with 20x zoom this is hard to beet.

I have been waiting a long time to replace the HDMR on my SPR build - this thread has me sold!

Here you go guys:

ERA-TAC-T1001-267A.jpg

ERA-TAC-T2001-267A.jpg

ERA-TAC Ultra Short 34mm

These are the answer and are incredible!

Jason