• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Savage Thread?

GordonsGarage

Dumbass, with a piece of paper that says I'm not.
Minuteman
  • Sep 15, 2020
    KY
    I kind of expected for there to be a sticky on savage rimfires but didn't see anything.
    I know there's a lot of us out there with a savage as a primary, secondary, or even just back up rimfire, and would like to see what others have done to modify their rifles and what kind of groups everyone is shooting.

My savage was originally a trr-sr (threaded 20"), and has been through a few iterations, but currently sits in an aluminum chassis I made, using an rpr factory butt stock, and using all three action screws. All this work really just added some weight, adjustability, and folding capability, that's about it, didn't see any huge gains in accuracy over the factory laminated tacticool stock. I've also recently polished the bolt internals due to a light strike issue I'm fighting. Trigger has been notched in the spring pocket to lighten the pull. Typically it wears a pst 3-15 but recently I put my razor on it just to play around.
    This rifle has several thousand rounds of bulk box and cci sv/sub through it so it's no spring chicken, and is likely the reason for the light strike issue I'm battling as well.

Here is a target I shot today trying some different ammos, I couldn't get most the eley stuff to ignite and is why some groups only have one or two shots in them.
    In my opinion if I'm shooting at something that matters, center-x is worth it in my particular savage, but for kids bulk shooting and plinking, cci is acceptable for that purpose to me. Also interpret the results at your own discretion, I'm no professional shooter, this was a bipod and rear bag.
    This is with the rifle wearing a k-baffle design suppressor, I've found it doesn't group as well with monocore style cans, but I intend to do an in depth accuracy test with different cans eventually.
    20201025_134229.jpg
    20201025_141734.jpg

Im surprised you had an issue igniting the Tenex and the Match. I shoot boatloads of that stuff out of my Anschutz and I do not think I have ever had ignition issues. Do you have a lighter strike from your firing pin?

I believe the pin to be getting worn and the spring getting weak. Savage wants you to be a real gunsmith to order either part so just haven't pursued that yet.

Yes, I've looked all over for the firing pin and spring, or even a heavier firing pin spring, no luck anywhere.

Savage MKII in an Oryx chassis, SWFA 3-15x42
    It likes Center X and SK Flat Nose Match best IMG_20200804_135308.jpgIMG_20200829_093738.jpgIMG_20200808_110907.jpg

Savage will sell you at retail most of the parts like the firing pin and spring. They will email you a “gunsmith” form that you need to sign and fill in. You are releasing them from liability. YouTube has a good video on how to compress the spring for removal and replacement.

This was true about two years ago. Since the company has been sold, this may have changed. You might as well change the circlip spring and extractor/ejector bars at the same time. Parts are cheap and readily available in normal times. I think that the shipping fee was more than the parts.

Good looking rifle wlfdg, looks like it shoots even better.
    Thanks for the info fred, I didn't realize it was that simple to bypass the gunsmith thing, I'll call them today and see what I can find out.

Reactions: Wlfdg
    Called savage today, they shipped me the firing pin, extractor, ejector, and circlip for free because it didn't meet their minimum order $ amount; they wouldn't ship the firing pin spring though, it has to be ordered by someone with an ffl.
    I think I'll get some good measurements on the spring and try to gauge the rate then see what I can find it misc springs from mcmaster or somewhere and try some different weights.

Sorry, they must have changed their policy after the Savage ownership change. McMaster-Carr may be your best bet. You may end up with more springs than you want. Be sure to seek out the YouTube video as you need to compress the old spring carefully.
    You’ll be surprised how much grime is in the firing pin channel. Extraction of spent shells is always a problem with these rifles so you may want to sharpen the edges of the sheet metal extractor and cartridge guide. Takes sketches or photos when disassembling the bolt assembly.

20201023_193916.jpg
    Already passed that step fred! I've had it apart a couple times, last time I polished it up real good, helped light strikes some.
    Will update if a new firing pin helps any, going to check headspace too.

Gordon, that looks perfect. My old spring looked OK, but a new one helped. My bolt never looked as good as yours does. In fact, the bolt had the worst blueing job of any firearm I have owned. The new spring should help the light strikes. Good luck.

GG-
    Good shooting. My Savage B22 Precision shoots similar to your groups.
    I am not trying to bash on the Savage rimfire rifles as I have one in our familY.
    What I’ve learned from the Hide is that Savage rifles seem to have a wide variance in precision (some call it the lotto).
    Additionally, customizing and upgrade path is more limited compared to the CZ, Tikka, Bergara, and 700 action based platforms.

YMMV, happy shooting.
    1461F918-58C3-415A-B389-64F97BFA493F.jpeg

Called savage today, they shipped me the firing pin, extractor, ejector, and circlip for free because it didn't meet their minimum order $ amount; they wouldn't ship the firing pin spring though, it has to be ordered by someone with an ffl.
    I think I'll get some good measurements on the spring and try to gauge the rate then see what I can find it misc springs from mcmaster or somewhere and try some different weights.

I've bought replacement firing pin springs from here and I'm in Australia - May be worth a call to Scott.

For anyone wondering, the firing pin drastically helped, still not perfect though.
    Thinking the rear of the bolt handle where it rubs the receiver on close has worn some and letting the bolt pull away from the barrel on close, increasing head space, will try to stick a few thou worth of feeler gauge in there next time I shoot it.
    Also, made a video on how to disassemble and reassemble the bolt for anyone searching, there's a few write ups but nothing like a video.

Nice job on the video. Innovative use of the open end or closed end wrench to hold the assembly during compression of the spring. Be sure to wear safety glasses. If you lose the "C" clip on the shaft, Lowe's has a similar size in the hardware section.

My B22 has been great so far. Took a bit to find ammo it liked by Eley outlaw seems to be its favorite so far. For the money its a nice piece.