• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Offset Optic???

scout1775

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Anyone have any luck with a secondary offset optic on a AR or Bolt gun platform. I'm looking to use some sort of red dot as a secondary to my long range optic for close engagements. Also will help with eye relief when using a gas mask for SWAT stuff. Any pics or advice would be helpful. Thanks

photo14_zps1029a3f0.jpg

Bushnell TRS on a 1 o'clock offset mount. Pretty cheap option.

Thanks TJC. Anyone have a setup on a AR platform? Getting eye relief is a pain in the ... when were operating with gas masks. I'm using a 11in platform AR.

A common mistake I've seen people do in their set up is to mount the red dot in front of their turrets. This makes it hard or impossible to see the numbers on your turrets when behind the gun. Mount your red dot /RMR forward of your turrrets (closer to the objective end) so that you can see the numbers and turn your turrets un obstructed when behind the gun (see attached picture). You will also find that you can see the dot easier when masked up when its mounted in the forward position.

image.jpg

Open shooters in 3-gun use them all the time. They are very useful when transitioning from longer range to real up close.

I have one on mine, Burris fast fire on a Daniels Defense mount. I run a 1x4 scope with it and I love it. With the offset dot you still get a good cheek weld so transition is very fast. Also, as you look through the red dot, the scope is out of the way so field of view is excellent. Very neat setup!

I am currently running a Burris Fastfire as my secondary optics as seen here:
8E1C2EDC-C82D-4211-AFF2-3204921F2FAC-2320-000003B39D9E757C_zps15737fae.jpg

It compliments the PST very well and transitioning is very fast. I am using a Daniel Defense Offset Mount. The Fastfire mounts to an American Defense MFG MRD Mount and then that attaches to the Offset mount.
Another option would be the over the scope method as seen here on my SCAR:
4C608C75-EBF5-480B-BCC3-C6710F9BE671-2320-000003B3646540B3_zps1873a3f8.jpg

Personally, not a huge fan of this as I have to take my cheek off the stock to use it. That mount is an Larue LT788.

Keep in mind you will have a reduced field of view due to the main optic obscuring some of your vision. While I do not take part in gun games in which this is popular, operationally these create snag points and must have some sort of armor for the mini optic itself. I used a Burkett mount with the wing on the outside on my MK12 and MK11/M110. While I did try it, I never liked it on my M4A1 with various optics. Before the Elcans, I used the offset with an ACOG, which I felt was necessary. But like I said earlier, it created some headaches with snagging and reduced field of view. It is certainly better and more useful that the piggy-back mounting though...

Open shooters in 3-gun use them all the time. They are very useful when transitioning from longer range to real up close.

Are you using it?.....much better question.

You will also find that you can see the dot easier when masked up when its mounted in the forward position.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. You can see that having the RMR/RD closer to the shooter when masked up actually makes it harder to roll the gun over and pick up a natural sight picture. Which is why those who run masks and or work on a two way firing range opt to put the optic farther down the rail than the guys who compete at rifle games.
Screen Shot 2013-04-06 at 7.05.07 PM.jpg

I use a T-1 in a LaRue offset mount forward of my NF 2.5-10 and it works very well. I don't have enough room aft of the optic to put the T-1 so it sits just forward of the receiver on my rail. The URX is stiff enough, and I'm not using it for anything remotely close to a precision role so I'm nonplussed about rail mounting it as opposed to being on the receiver.

It's pretty much what's going on with the guy in this video:
Funker360 vid of cool guys in Afghanistan

Last edited:
I really like that integrated rds mount on the LaRue mount. I personally have my RMR turned clockwise another 30 degrees or so, just past horizontal so when I transition between optics my cheek never moves. With that mount it looks like you would need to roll the rifle and lift your head slightly to pick up the dot.

It's a LT742 for a RMR. I modified it to fit the Razor.
img_2903.jpg

The Razor will bolt right up to the LT137 w/ the thin adapter plate Vortex provides with it. I was going to use my RM06 on this but I got a great deal on the Razor. I also prefer the angle of the LT742 over the "level" LT137. Time will tell on the Razor MRD but I'm liking it very much so far.

LT137
p1012295.jpg

A couple more pics of the Razor/LT742 and PST 2.5-10x32mm/LT104.
vvpst01.jpg

vvpst02.jpg

vvpst05.jpg

vvpst04.jpg

mega1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a fastfire II and I gotta say I'm kinda disapointed in it. Its on a 1oclock mount similar to the pics above and it will not come closer than like 36 inches to even close to a zero. I thought it might be because of the angle but I'm sure it still should be the same as a normal optic in terms of elevation/ windage adjustments cause I have to can't the gun to see it. I think it could be a manufacturer flaw or mabee not. Mabee its the position I have it located., its low to the gun right infront of my optic mounted on the pic. rail about an inch from where my free float rail begins.
If y'all could give some insight it would be great.
Thanks..