• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oh Atlanta

Atlanta sounds like a nice place! Ill add it to all the other shithole big cities I have no interest in visiting.

Reactions: 308pirate
Put me down for another not dumb enough to stroll around the inner city. Been there, done that as a kid. I found out that I look a lot tougher than I am, and they don't really give a shit. Beside, what the fuck could I possibly want in one of those neighborhoods?
Soul food?

I drove through Atl on Thursday on the way to the uspsa nationals. Stopped at Hard Rock, and saw a lot of bad attitude. Couldnt get out of there fast enough. Im from Charlotte, and as posted above, our city council's goal is to be more like Atl. WTF are they thinking? All I'm thinking is, I've got to drive back through that shit hole on the way home.
You should get out of the city sooner rather than later. Mount pleasant is nice, pretty close by and land can be had for $10k per acre. I’m in Concord now, but only because the wife wants to be close to a target. That’s not really a joke either... I miss the hell out of Locust.

Reactions: PolarisBreach
Nothing makes me laugh harder than Bender repping Wyoming from a fucking city in Wyoming. Who would admit to living in a city if you lived in Wyoming?
Wyoming doesn’t have any cities. Not real ones, anyway. The population of Cheyenne is less than 1/3 of the town I grew up in.

Reactions: lash
I didn’t see that many ninjas, and being situational aware is part of my day job, also lots of those people are very mouthy, I think hooting and hollering is almost a required pre req for their conflicts, seems heavy on the bravado.
Knock out game. Not much hollering going with that one. Hope you got good Spidey senses.

But sadly, Atlanta wears the pants in that relationship these days.
9EE734C3-5183-481A-B575-DE1697DA3D6C.jpeg

Wyoming doesn’t have any cities. Not real ones, anyway. The population of Cheyenne is less than 1/3 of the town I grew up in.
That's the point, though. You don't even get any of the good things that cities have to offer, but still, you live with a bunch of other sad sacks doing the little city thing. It's the same around here. I mean, I suppose people have to do it, but I would never advertise the fact.

That's the point, though. You don't even get any of the good things that cities have to offer, but still, you live with a bunch of other sad sacks doing the little city thing. It's the same around here. I mean, I suppose people have to do it, but I would never advertise the fact.

In my limited experience, small towns with one college tend to be the happy middle ground, not a city, but also enough life they don’t get stagnant, and a good pool of 20 something women

Reactions: kmckinnon
In my limited experience, small towns with one college tend to be the happy middle ground, not a city, but also enough life they don’t get stagnant, and a good pool of 20 something women
I don't think Cheyenne is high end enough to have a university. Around here, people who live in cities get a pretty good case of the mumbles when somebody asks them where they are from.

HSTs are equal opportunity, as is self preservation and fight or flight.

GA is also a stand your ground state

Hope I never have to go there, lots of non weapon stuff you can do to stop a bad situation you see starting, even if just crossing the street, or acknowledging presence, ether way Im not trying make myself out as some “operator” I’m not one, don’t really care to be one, but I’m also not so scared I won’t walk down any street in America.
We are not confusing as operator as fuck. We are not confusing you as dumb as fuck as well. You keep repeating yourself. Have you noticed that too? You're like the longest funeral.

We are not confusing as operator as fuck. We are not confusing you as dumb as fuck as well. You keep repeating yourself. Have you noticed that too? You're like the longest funeral.

Yes, I do repeat myself, because you don’t seem to quite get it ether, but hey being scared is very trendy, “terrorists”, Wuhan flu, the “other political party”, I’ve never been that great at jumping on trend so

Yes, I do repeat myself, because you don’t seem to quite get it ether, but hey being scared is very trendy, “terrorists”, Wuhan flu, the “other political party”, I’ve never been that great at jumping on trend so
I’m a little lost here too. Ive spent considerable time in co-op city, Brownsville Brooklyn and a half a dozen other “bad parts” of NYC growing up without any major issues. Lots of overnight stays and a Number of house parties where I was the only white guy there.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are some wonderful people and an odd sense of community I haven’t found anywhere else. My best friend is an amazing cook. He’d leave the door open while cooking and an hour later, the Place would be packed with neighbors. Everyone would bring whatever they had.. maybe a half a bottle of Bacardi or leftovers from the night before. Some had nothing to bring and that was cool too. Those were some of the best nights of my life. The food in these areas (especially hispanic food) is In another league. Hell, those people taught me to dance, gave me recipes I still cook for my kids and came all the way out to Long Island to fix my piece of shit 97 cavalier I had at the time. I voted for Romney back then [cringe] and made that clear. We’d argue, but few cared enough to make a serious situation of it.

I wouldn’t drive around in a Benz yelling racial slurs and making fun of people for being poor. Just don‘t be an asshole and know when to walk away and you’ll be fine. Crime statistics in these areas are usually pushed way up due to gang violence and drugs. Don’t get involved in that crap and Locals generally won’t even notice you, much less start shit with you. If they do, don’t be little bitch or an asshole and they’ll respect that, just like anywhere else. It’s all about how you carry yourself.

Turning these areas into no-go zones is a little much and based more on fear than reality.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I work in Midtown, next to the Beltline by the former “Murder Kroger”. I’ve been living in ATL for the past 4 years. It is a concrete jungle and the traffic does suck!!!

The area has a dipolar wealth gap, both leaning predominantly “Left”. The local public schools are atrocious. The private schools are incredibly expensive.

Those with little education / productive work skills can not make enough $$$ to provide for a family household or oneself. This is where the problem lies. ATL is an expensive place to live.

I’m a little lost here too. Ive spent considerable time in co-op city, Brownsville Brooklyn and a half a dozen other “bad parts” of NYC growing up without any major issues. Lots of overnight stays and a Number of house parties where I was the only white guy there.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are some wonderful people and an odd sense of community I haven’t found anywhere else. My best friend is an amazing cook. He’d leave the door open while cooking and an hour later, the Place would be packed with neighbors. Everyone would bring whatever they had.. maybe a half a bottle of Bacardi or leftovers from the night before. Some had nothing to bring and that was cool too. Those were some of the best nights of my life. The food in these areas (especially hispanic food) is In another league. Hell, those people taught me to dance, gave me recipes I still cook for my kids and came all the way out to Long Island to fix my piece of shit 97 cavalier I had at the time. I voted for Romney back then [cringe] and made that clear. We’d argue, but few cared enough to make a serious situation of it.

I wouldn’t drive around in a Benz yelling racial slurs and making fun of people for being poor. Just don‘t be an asshole and know when to walk away and you’ll be fine. Crime statistics in these areas are usually pushed way up due to gang violence and drugs. Don’t get involved in that crap and Locals generally won’t even notice you, much less start shit with you. If they do, don’t be little bitch or an asshole and they’ll respect that, just like anywhere else. It’s all about how you carry yourself.

Turning these areas into no-go zones is a little much and based more on fear than reality.
I think there is a difference in doing it in your own town and doing it in somebody else's. Having some local knowledge takes you a long way.

All I ever needed to learn about racism, I learned the year they re-drew the district lines in the rich suburbs of Chicago to switch a wealthy area into literally a crack head neighborhood school without working heat or AC that was 90% black.

Most parents said fuck that and sued the state (and eventually somehow it was redone the following school year) and sent their kids to a private school for the year. I was one of the ones who said fuck paying for private school, I'll go and see this shit firsthand.

Let's just say that I learned absolutely NOTHING that year outside of how to stay alive, how to read people and that I've never seen white people who are overtly racist, be a racist as black people when they are 90% of the population.

Atlanta has a lot of beautiful places to be honest, and i enjoyed my stay there the last time i visited and that was my first time there too.

There are areas were you would get car jacked at a stop light. Not sure why anybody can deny these areas exist. It's pure denial.

Blacks get mad at whites for leaving an area that starts to get high level of crime. They call it white flight. But, any black that gets a degree or any money also leave. Its crime flight, nothing to due with race.

I work in Midtown, next to the Beltline by the former “Murder Kroger”. I’ve been living in ATL for the past 4 years. It is a concrete jungle and the traffic does suck!!!

The area has a dipolar wealth gap, both leaning predominantly “Left”. The local public schools are atrocious. The private schools are incredibly expensive.

Those with little education / productive work skills can not make enough $$$ to provide for a family household or oneself. This is where the problem lies. ATL is an expensive place to live.

Big cities seem to always go slum dog millionaire

I think there is a difference in doing it in your own town and doing it in somebody else's. Having some local knowledge takes you a long way.
I lived an hour away by train, hence the overnight stays. Fuck driving in.

By standing straight, looking people in the eye and being courteous and respectful you can thrive just about anywhere in this country. You might get some uncomfortable looks at first, but they usually go away with a smile and a wave (outside of NY) or a head nod (inside NY). Tensing up and getting defensive is not the best way to win over the locals.

My great aunt still lives in rockaway beach at 90 something years old. She’s now the only white person on the block and the local black kids treat her like their own grandmother. She’s not a liberal either.

The racial tension pushed by the media is blown way out of proportion and venturing into minority heavy neighborhoods isn’t akin to being behind enemy lines. For the love of God, please don’t buy into that shit. It’s feeding the fire.

Reactions: TurboTrout
There are areas were you would get car jacked at a stop light. Not sure why anybody can deny these areas exist. It's pure denial.

Blacks get mad at whites for leaving an area that starts to get high level of crime. They call it white flight. But, any black that gets a degree or any money also leave. Its crime flight, nothing to due with race.
When's the last time folks left a neighborhood that got too white with the associated crime?

I’ve spent a bit of time over coop city lol

That’s part of the route to fly into the east river

All true, but when this economy collapses and all those folks can’t make good on their million homes Atlanta is an absolute power keg just waiting for a spark.

I lived an hour away by train, hence the overnight stays. Fuck driving in.

By standing straight, looking people in the eye and being courteous and respectful you can thrive just about anywhere in this country. You might get some uncomfortable looks at first, but they usually go away with a smile and a wave (outside of NY) or a head nod (inside NY). Tensing up and getting defensive is not the best way to win over the locals.

My great aunt still lives in rockaway beach at 90 something years old. She’s now the only white person on the block and the local black kids treat her like their own grandmother. She’s not a liberal either.

The racial tension pushed by the media is blown way out of proportion and venturing into minority heavy neighborhoods isn’t akin to being behind enemy lines. For the love of God, please don’t buy into that shit. It’s feeding the fire.
I don't know man, growing up my family had a restaurant on 42nd street when it was 42nd street, I spent plenty of time in sketchy parts of LA, when LA was actually a dangerous city. If I had a reason to be in one of those places, I suppose I would go, but the way things are right now, the juice isn't really worth the squeeze. You have friends there, go. But just to walk around these neighborhoods for shits and giggles? No thanks.

FWIW, I think you are dead wrong about the racial tension. I lived in LA before, during and after Rodney King. Things seem a lot worse to me now than they did then. i have nothing against any group, but that doesn't mean I want to be the dude caught with my dick out because I want to walk around neighborhoods where I am not particularly welcome. Not to mention, since I have no friends in any neighborhood like these, I don't really have a good reason to go. Visiting a shitty corner store is not high on my agenda.

I don't know man, growing up my family had a restaurant on 42nd street when it was 42nd street, I spent plenty of time in sketchy parts of LA, when LA was actually a dangerous city. If I had a reason to be in one of those places, I suppose I would go, but the way things are right now, the juice isn't really worth the squeeze. You have friends there, go. But just to walk around these neighborhoods for shits and giggles? No thanks.

FWIW, I think you are dead wrong about the racial tension. I lived in LA before, during and after Rodney King. Things seem a lot worse to me now than they did then. i have nothing against any group, but that doesn't mean I want to be the dude caught with my dick out because I want to walk around neighborhoods where I am not particularly welcome. Not to mention, since I have no friends in any neighborhood like these, I don't really have a good reason to go. Visiting a shitty corner store is not high on my agenda.
I respect that. Different life experiences I guess. Maybe I was an exception because I grew up without two nickels to rub together. Nobody wants to steal grass stained shoes and jc penny hand me downs. Not much privilege to be resentful about there. I’ve had more than one bike stolen as a kid and got into my share of fights. Nothing too crazy. I was actually born and raised about two miles from where Trump gave his speech on gang violence when he first took office. Rich kids were often sent home without their shoes and cell phones whether they were black, white or green. I saw undeniable resentment towards the “haves” but not as much outward racism towards whites as you might expect. It was there, but it wasn’t enough of an issue to be terribly concerned about. I’d argue it was more a classic case of the proletariat vs the bourgeoisie than racism.

Living in upscale neighborhoods still doesn’t feel like home after the better part of a decade. Its like living in the Truman show. Sure, I don’t have to deal with the crime, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss things about the old neighborhood. Mostly the people, believe it or not. It’s not the war zone it’s made out to be. At least it wasn’t a few years ago. Driving around the hood in an S class or wandering around with a Rolex on your wrist is like hiking through Yosemite in early spring with a backpack full of steaks. Don’t do it. Random acts of violence are exceedingly rare, despite what we see on the news. It’s pretty easy to avoid trouble with a little common sense. I did it for 25 years In Brentwood, Uniondale the Bronx, Brooklyn and everywhere in between.

Reactions: lash
FWIW, I think you are dead wrong about the racial tension. I lived in LA before, during and after Rodney King. Things seem a lot worse to me now than they did then.

Reginald Denny may think differently...well, if he could think.

I flew into LA shortly after the riots and saw the neighborhood from the air. Who does that to their own people?

I grew up in some of these shit holes. Funny how I'm supposed to be the racist one in the picture...

You couldn't pay me to go back there. German and Horta could will me all their shit and I'd still pass.

Columbus GA is less than 100 miles South and it's a lot more fun. Especially if you're a teenager with a superman complex.

Fat bastards with empty plate carriers and drop rigs guarding roach infested restaurants... Jesus christ, I knew I was missing something up here in the Pac. NW.

Thanks for reminding me how good I have it. Karens and antifags are the worst I have to deal with, haven't had to draw my piece in 20 years. Lately I have been thinking about lead lined gloves though...

I grew up in some of these shit holes. Funny how I'm supposed to be the racist one in the picture...

You couldn't pay me to go back there. German and Horta could will me all their shit and I'd still pass.

Columbus GA is less than 100 miles South and it's a lot more fun. Especially if you're a teenager with a superman complex.

Fat bastards with empty plate carriers and drop rigs guarding roach infested restaurants... Jesus christ, I knew I was missing something up here in the Pac. NW.

Thanks for reminding me how good I have it. Karens and antifags are the worst I have to deal with, haven't had to draw my piece in 20 years. Lately I have been thinking about lead lined gloves though...

I do miss ivars, smoked salmon chowder bread bowl FTW!

Reginald Denny may think differently...well, if he could think.

I flew into LA shortly after the riots and saw the neighborhood from the air. Who does that to their own people?
His beating was, perhaps, exhibit number one for one side of the argument in this thread. Still, as bad as it was, it happened, and then it was over. There were lingering tensions, and a lot of hatred of the police, but "elite opinion" was very different in those days, and it sure didn't serve to prolong the violence and amp up the tension on pure racial grounds like it has this time. On the other hand, LA was way more violent as a city than any city we have in the US now, but it didn't seem like you were going to have race riots on any given day.

On the other hand, LA was way more violent as a city than any city we have in the US now, but it didn't seem like you were going to have race riots on any given day.

That's because the left has emboldened the "oppressed, disenfranchised and poor populations" (that they created) by allowing unfettered emotional and violent behavior. I wasn't really of aware of racial hatred until the schools were integrated in my home state (I was 14). I believe the hatred has been burning since at least the '60s. We see it more now becasuse it's "racist" to fight fire.

Reactions: kmckinnon
That's because the left has emboldened the "oppressed, disenfranchised and poor populations" (that they created) by allowing unfettered emotional and violent behavior. I wasn't really of aware of racial hatred until the schools were integrated in my home state (I was 14). I believe the hatred has been burning since at least the '60s. We see it more now becasuse it's "racist" to fight fire.
I agree. It always felt before that it was more incident driven, and now it seems opportunistic. That riots are just there waiting for a reason. I wasn't around in the 60s, so I can't compare to then. I don't even know how much of it is race related and how much is just a population that is primed to be angry and told it is the right way to be. But yeah, defending yourself from it now comes at a much greater cost than it would have in 1992. Those rooftop Koreans would have had a swat team landing on the roof to arrest them.

Reactions: EddieNFL
I've only had good times in Atlanta, but I am not an asshole, so that might be the difference.

When was the last time you were there? And where exactly in Atlanta?

Whose fault is all that?

Maybe jogging/walking with body armor, even a soft vest, is the new thing to do in the ATL.