• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD
Re: OHIO

I stick to 2 die sets. Redding, RCBS, Hornady, or whatever you like that day. I've never been much on neck sizing, but some swear by it. You really shouldn't need a headspace gauge. The only thing I have against the Rock Chucker is the lack of a screw hole in the back of the press.

Ok guys well here are 2 examples of set ups that ive priced please let me know if im missing something or have stuff thats not needed...

Lyman crusher 2 kit $414
•Crusher II Press
•Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
•Pro 500 Scale
•#55 Powder Measure
•Universal Priming Arm
•Primer Tray
•Auto Primer Feed
•Extra Decapping Pins
•49th Edition Reloading Handbook
•Primer Catcher
•Deburring Tool
•Powder Funnel
•Case Lube Kit
•7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press
Lyman powder dribbler $14
Annealing system $65
Lyman 1200 Auto flo tumbler $103
10lbs Lyman corn cob media $21
Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer L&S $40
Lyman VLD Chamfer Tool $12
Lyman LG Primer Crimp reamer $10
Lyman SM Primer Crimp Reamer $10
Lyman Flash Hole Deburrer/ uniformer $15
Lyman Universal inside/outside deburing tool $17
Lyman Powder measure stand $30
RCBS Competition Full Length Die Set, 308 Win $94
RCBS Full Length Die Set, 308 Win $32
Lyman Shell holder $8
Lee Auto Primer $20
$905

Sinclair/RCBS set up
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit $290
Rock Chucker Supreme Press
Model 5-0-5 powder/bullet scale
Uniflow Powder Measure
Speer Reloading Manual
Hand held priming tool
Hex key set
Loading block
Case lube kit (pad and lube)
Powder funnel
Case mouth deburring tool
Hornady Cam Lock Trimmer $75
Sinclair uniformer kit $54
Sinclair deburring tool $26
Sinclair VLD chamfering tool $28
RCBS Powder Measure stand $26
RCBS shellholder #3 .308 $8
Annealing system $65
Lyman 1200 Auto flo tumbler $103
Lyman LG Primer Crimp reamer $10
Lyman SM Primer Crimp Reamer $10
RCBS Powder Trickler $15
$872

I will stick with full length dies..But these are what ive priced based off of what other people have said they used in the reloading forum.

You won't need a crimp reamer unless you plan to load military surplus brass. I'd also buy a set of LEE shell holders. I think there are 11 in the set for $20 or so. That will keep you covered for just about anything in the future. You might also save a few $$ and buy the Frankford Arsenal tumbler from Midway, but you'll also want a media seperator. The auto-flo on the Lyman is not that great of a feature. My next tumbler will be the big Dillon. Midway, RCBS, or Dillon spray case lube is great for rifle brass. The lube pad method sucks. You need a set of calipers. If you buy the LEE primer tool in the first package get the shell holder set as it takes special ones.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=414369
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=786187
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=204960

out of personal preference would you go with the RCBS setup or the Lyman? The lyman is only $50 more so if it means a better quality set up for only $50 more then I think its worth it.

The RCBS package seems more appealing to me, but you'll be fine with either one. You'll likely expand soon enough.

Well The Lyman set up around a bit after taking your advice and adding somethings still came out to about the same price as before but with more stuff this time...
Lyman crusher 2 kit $414
•Crusher II Press
•Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
•Pro 500 Scale
•#55 Powder Measure
•Universal Priming Arm
•Primer Tray
•Auto Primer Feed
•Extra Decapping Pins
•49th Edition Reloading Handbook
•Primer Catcher
•Deburring Tool
•Powder Funnel
•Case Lube Kit
•7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press
Lyman powder dribbler $14
Annealing system $65
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit $64
Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer L&S $40
Lyman VLD Chamfer Tool $12
Lyman Universal inside/outside deburing tool $17
Lyman Powder measure stand $30
Lee universal Shell holders $21
LEE red box auto prime shell holders $20
Lee Auto Primer $20
Frankford Arsenal Case lube $8
Calipers $30
2- MTM Flip top Ammo Box 100 rd $14
2-MTM Flip top Ammo Box 50 rd $8
MTM Ammo Can $18
2-Frankford Arsenal Reloading trays $10
$967

Now that we have the set up out of the way..... Whats all good in the world of ammunition supplies I wis think of using a mix of winchester brass and Lapua brass...Not sure on primers, bullets and powder? Do you always want to load to match quality to get best results in your work and practice?

If you are thinking Win brass for practice and Lapua for match I'd say no. Just load good quality ammo period. It's not typically a good idea to mix brass especially if you are pushing a hot load. I don't own a .308, but a little research on here will get you all the info you need.

no I was thinking more along the lines of getting 100 lapua and some winchester and experimenting with the 2 to see what one worked better for me.. I read that of course lapua is going to hold up long and its a better made casing...But some guys say the win is just as accurate. Ive also heard that the win brass has a lot of problems with the primer pockets thoughh blowing out quickly..

Only get 1 type of brass as they have different capacities and therefore will shoot different. I use Winchester brass which is perfectly fine for me as Im not a benchrest shooter and therefore the extra cost of lapua isnt worth it. Not to mention, I can go shoot a tactical match with my rem700 and win brass and outshoot guys that have way more money in their rig and loading supplies. Its not just the rig and ammo, the shooter is key.

That was my first time ever shooting out past 100 yards. Thats where the addiction began.
smile.gif

Mscott thanks..
Flounder yeah im used to shoot out to about 500yds but that was back in my marine corps days with an m16 and iron sights...Precision tactical rifle with a scope is a whole new ball game for me. But I cant wait to start I love shooting no matter what it is...Long range just seems like more of a challenge to me and im always up for a good challenge.

I prefer the RCBS setup myself, I use mainly Winchester and Remington cases, I guess I cant see the big advantage to the Lapua cases, I mean are they that much better than the Winchester?? I dont know...maybe they are, I havent had any trouble cooking up a load with the normal cases so I didnt feel a need to go out and spend big money.

New to long range shooting...been shooting AR and pistol since USN. Looking for some guys to shoot with, would be great if you guys could post when going shooting and maybe some of us could go shooting and tell lies about how great we shoot!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bike1469</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New to long range shooting...been shooting AR and pistol since USN. Looking for some guys to shoot with, would be great if you guys could post when going shooting and maybe some of us could go shooting and tell lies about how great we shoot! </div></div>

No need to tell lies .... the scores at the end of the match speak the truth. I left you a question in the TVP thread also. What other shooting do you do? There's quite a bit of variety in this area.

I'm up for steel targets with pistol, CQB training with my
LMT piston gun etc...I like to shoot, and have a couple buddies hauling around some suppresed toys, Wilson Combat trinkets etc...and we like to shoot with like minded people.

Anyone from Southern Ohio, maybe around Cincinnati? I'm looking for a place to shoot from 100m to 500m.

OK all you Ohio shooters who have taken advantage of the "newbie day training" at TVP how about coming out this weekend and try the match for real!

Just saw this thread, decided to say hello, I'm in Columbus been to tvp once. Anyone hear when the west jefferson range is opening back up or if they are?

Big Darby Creek Shooting Range Asks Court to Resume Live Fire, with Range Improvements

West Jefferson, Ohio - Big Darby Creek Shooting Range, LLC, (Big Darby), a membership based, public shooting range, training facility and federally licensed gun dealer has had all live-fire shooting activities suspended since June 14, 2010, when the Madison County Common Pleas Court ordered a general cease fire, based on a civil nuisance complaint filed by Battelle Memorial Institute. This order was issued by the Court without hearing from Big Darby’s counsel in what is known as an “ex parte” temporary restraining order hearing, due to Battelle’s claims that bullets were escaping the Big Darby berms over one mile away and landing on its “High Energy Research Laboratory Area” and other property, east of SR 142. At all times, Big Darby has denied these allegations.

On July 29, 2010, the Court converted its restraining order to a preliminary injunction, which continued the cease fire, until a final trial on the merits. The preliminary injunction required Big Darby to demonstrate certain improvements to the range prior to resuming operations. Big Darby continues to deny that any proof has shown that it is responsible for any errant rounds striking Battelle. However, Big Darby has been willing to make range improvements to increase safety margins. On August 17th, Big Darby filed notice of detailed engineering plans and drawings, along with revised range safety protocols for the Court’s information and these plans were served on Battelle’s lawyers, to obtain approval for the shooting to resume.

Since no response from Battelle has been forthcoming, Big Darby has now appealed to the Twelfth District Court of Appeals in Middletown, Ohio, asking a three judge panel to review the Common Pleas Court’s decision closing the range. Big Darby has also asked the Common Please judge to lift the injunction pending a decision on the appeal, if the safety improvements are implemented, and this motion is still pending. Certain details of the case can be located at the Madison County Clerk of Court’s web site at: <http://www.co.madison.oh.us/10185.html> and searching under online records for “Battelle” and then clicking on the docket link under each 2010 case listed. The public court file can be accessed at the Courthouse, 1 North Main, 2nd Floor, London, Ohio 43140. As of today, Big Darby is waiting on the Common Pleas judge’s and Court of Appeals ruling on the stay of the injunction.

Big Darby is appreciative of the support of its members, the public and others who have called, e-mailed and/or stopped by during this time. Further, the Big Darby pro-shop and gun dealership continue to be open and we encourage members and the public to stop by and show their support.

Please visit our web site frequently for updates and hours of operation of the pro-shop. Legal counsel for Big Darby in these matters are Michael R. Moran of Gahanna and Frank Leonetti, Esq. of the Reminger firm in Cleveland, Ohio.

####

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: angry_mitro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">new guy/lurker from columbus here </div></div>

Welcome aboard. Matches for rifles are pretty much done for the year, but they'll start back up in February. If you are interested in Multigun there is a match next weekend.

Thunder Valley Precision
Steel targets from 100-1200 Schedule for the rest of this year is hit and miss. So you need to keep an eye on Comp section and come out and play

Militant83, Hey im just down south of ya outside Circleville I can shoot out to 600yds @ my house give me a shout anytime you want to do some shooting! Flounder can pick you up on his way through
grin.gif

Anyone shooting sunday? tired of 100' at deercreek, west jeff is still closed, got the day off wanting to stretch my trg's legs.

Thunder Valley Precision
Open Range Day 3/19
There is 22 concrete benches under roof plus 3 positions we can shoot from while everyone shoots from the benches. There is steel from about 140 - 1200 and a mile to shoot at about ever hundred yards.

Hello Guys, i have been reading the Hide for quite a while. But after trying to raise funds selling stuff and finding the 100 post requirement in the Sales area, I guess its time to start talking.

I am currently working with a brand new Rem 700 AAC-SD and am trying to figure out what sort of stock I need to purchase, because the factory one is flexible as everyone now knows. I am in NW Ohio (Findlay/BG area), and would like to meet up/shoot with anyone who has a McM, Manners, or AIC stock I could look at or handle. I really am not sure which I would prefer over another, though I have handled and shot an AIC 2.0, and find it hard to beat for price and options. But, maybe one of these others will just fit perfect, and that would be where the hands on part comes in.

I really wish there was a store some what local that had stocks on hand, not to mention high end Glass, but who can care a full line of high end glass (NF, USO, SB).

Welcome aboard Jamie. The best thing would be to attend a shooting event at Thunder Valley or Rayner's Range. There is a wide variety of stocks, rifles, and other equipment to check out. Events are posted in the Competition section of this forum.

I'm In NE ohio.
youngstown area.
Have access to 200yeds and in canton there is a nice 500yrd range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBJamie99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> after I get in a bit of trigger time </div></div>

You'll get plenty of trigger time at the matches. Come on out and play. Thunder Valley has a Newbie day coming up on April 30.

Newbies"

We will be having a "newbie" range day here at Thunder Valley Precision April 30th at 8:30 am till dark 30. The class will offer an introduction to short and long range precision shooting. We will start with a safety meeting then go over your equipment. Then check zeros and chronograph for accurate velocity, if needed, then make drop charts.
Then proceed to the "Intimidator". Here you will learn how to effectively adjust for elevation and windage to more accurately engage targets at great distance. We will accept 20 shooters for this class, 10 two-man teams(individuals will be paired). PRE-REGISTRAION ONLY. Registration begins now.

For more info please e-mail me at [email protected]
[email protected]
PM Tom Sarver
or cell contact 740-502-6530

The Cost is $40.00

Welcome.

I am not far from you, just north of Fostoria. Sorry the best stocks I can show you are HS Precision and B&C. Shoot me a PM sometime.

I'm in the Dayton/Vandalia area if any one plans on doing some shooting in my area look me up! Not a lot of long range shooting here just basic pistol and AR type stuff!

Long time lurker, new poster. I live in Johnstown, a suburb of Columbus. I've shot some at Rayners, Briar Rabbit and I'm hoping to shoot at TVP on the newbie shoot on June 18th if it's still on. I mostly shot IDPA and USPSA handgun stuff and I have recently gotten into some longer range stuff.