• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

OK I am "officially " addicted

Aquatic_Robotic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
East Texas
I had time to get to range without being rushed today. Go to spend about an hour and half just learning more about my new Anschutz 64 MP R.

I ran out Satuday in such hurry to shoot in a competition that I shot the May SH 50 YD TRC. I did it cold with previous shots at that little set of targets. I was impressed with the gun, but after today's much more relaxed session, learning session I am still impressed.

I am now "officially" addicted to this rimfire LR shooting. I just receieved a custom tactical 300WM from Woody at X-Ring Accuracy. I put a S & B 5-25x56 on it and I hate to say it, but I can't bring myself to shoot it with my limited time, because I want to shoot the Anschutz. CRAZY!!!

OK I learned a bunch today. I decided since I shot the 50 TRC cold with no practice, I am going to shoot the 100YB TQ-4 and later the 100YP TQ-4 with lots of practice.

Lesson # 1 WOW the difference betweeen having a rear bag rest and nothing but your "shoulder" is really BIG.

Started on 100YB TQ-4I and thought I would just practice about 50 rounds and shoot a 250 with a few X's WRONG!!! I might do that with benchrest or bags front and rear, but pack on front and no rear rest EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. This is really the first time I have ever shot in the manner for more than a round or two. TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH, but I will practice. I loved it!

I fired a total of 100 rounds today. 25 at 50 yards of pack in front and rear bag, practing trigger control, good technique, relaxation and focus on each shot.

Then I moved to 100 zeroed gun to 100 yds on bags front and rear. After doing this I realized I only had 29 round left in that 100 rd box of CCI "target" and wanted to shoot the 100YB TQ-4 practice with the same box I sighted in on.

So, I fired 4 rounds from sand bags front and rear at a target with a single bullet hole as my aim point.

This is what the rifle can do at 100 yds at my current skill level and ammo I am using.

P5120004.jpg

P5120003.jpg

This is my first practice round at the 10YB TQ-4

It was much more difficult than I realized when you pull out the rear rest and shoot just from the shoulder, but I am going to practice.

If I scored it correctly it was 240 with 5 X's.

P5120006.jpg

I know the rifle is capable of 250 + some X's and I think with some practie, I can become capable as well.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Re: OK I am "officially " addicted

They are truely addicting... and it's getting to be the only thing that I can afford to shoot... not to mention you can shoot in your back yard (assuming you don't live in town).

Great job!!

What I did was shoot the TQ4 with f/r bags just to get a baseline to work towards on a personal skill level. Then just practice practice practice. Your score is a very good one, and with time, will shrink up alot.

But, and this is just MY OPINION, but I advise all shooters to practice w/o the rear bag. Unless of course you're only going for trigger controll. And even then I truly believe that practicing as much w/o the rear bag as possible will lead to the best results in the shortest time.

Also, with as great as your setup shoots with the CCI, I'd love to see how it shoots with Wolf MT and the three higher grade Eley boxes (Red, Black, and Blue) and I'm sure you'll be amazed at just how much more performance the Annie has in her that isn't being tapped into
wink.gif

One question though, just for clarification... is the picture at 100 yards???

If so then you have one helluva shooter...

Good luck and goodshootin'

Dylan

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

All targets were shot at 100 yds in this thread, including the one covered with a dime. I know it was only 4 rounds, but that was all I had to fire out of that specific box and still have the 25 required to shot the TQ-4 practice round.

It seems the more rounds I put through it the more accurate it becomes. I know this will fall off at some point, but it has not happened yet. I have put a total of 180 rounds down the tube. To clean or not to clean?? That is the question?

I have some ammo coming from Champion Shooters Supply tomorrow. 2 boxes Wolf Match Extra, 2 boxes Eley Sport and 1 box Eley Match Pistol Match. I though I would start the search for the "right ammo" with these.

I also ordered a Harris bipod adapter for the rail and an Anschutz cleaning rod bore guide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aquatic_Robotic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Dylan,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

All targets were shot at 100 yds in this thread, including the one covered with a dime. I know it was only 4 rounds, but that was all I had to fire out of that specific box and still have the 25 required to shot the TQ-4 practice round.

It seems the more rounds I put through it the more accurate it becomes. I know this will fall off at some point, but it has not happened yet. I have put a total of 180 rounds down the tube. To clean or not to clean?? That is the question?

I have some ammo coming from Champion Shooters Supply tomorrow. 2 boxes Wolf Match Extra, 2 boxes Eley Sport and 1 box Eley Match Pistol Match. I though I would start the search for the "right ammo" with these.

I also ordered a Harris bipod adapter for the rail and an Anschutz cleaning rod bore guide.</div></div>
Don't clean the bore unless you're switching ammo brands. There's plenty of threads on here that debate this topic but for the most part, people get the best results with an extremely dirty rifle
wink.gif

But maintain the rest of the gun, and pay special care to the action. I currently have about 400 through the tube w/o cleaning and it's still kicking.

And good job starting the search for the right ammo! You have a decent lineup there, but I would highly advise trying the Wolf Match Target after you shoot up your supply of Match Extra. Most people get better results with MT than they do the more expensive ME. And YMMV but when I fed the blue and black colored boxes of Eley ammo through my own rifle, the groups shrunk by half. But seeing as how you're already getting pretty great results with what you have, I'd say just keep practicing with the cheap stuff and look into getting the thick bottom metal offered by savagegunsmithing.com as some people (such as myself) run into problems with the super thin and flimsy factory bottom metal that comes on these rifle.

Hope this helps you some,
Sincerely

Dylan

Hope this helps

Had about an hour and half today so went to range to check out some more ammo.

I have a total of 525 rounds through the gun since I got and I have only put dry patches through it after each range session. It seems to still be shooting.

75 degrees wind gusty 10-12 mph from 4 to 10

P5150008.jpg

P5150007.jpg

P5150006.jpg

P5150005.jpg

100YB TQ-4 with Eley Sport

Little better than CCI Target, but also more practice on my part with no rear bag. I also got my bipod setup on the gun and will use ut exclusively from now on.

245 10 x's
P5150012.jpg

With 500 rounds through the gun and only dry patches after each range session, I decided to just fire 25 rounds at 50 yards and see if there was any loss in accuracy. I used Eley Match Pistol. I think the stringing was me. I was really trying to get the bipod loaded before each round and did not always achieve it.

It is still very accurate with 500 rounds through it and only dry patches through it.

P5150009.jpg

Nice groups. What kind of rifle were you using?

Oh, sorry bout that. I had to get to the top of the page and read the post. An Anschutz, thats why the groups were so nice at 100.
smirk.gif

that is some great shooting! I'd love to shoot a ncier annie some day.

And about running the dry patches... I'm firmly in the camp that says it takes a LOT of rounds before carbon starts negatively affecting accuracy.

Hey Aquabot... just a quick question... how does it shoot without loading the bipod? Great groups!!!

Thanks Rico,

I am new to using a bipod in a tactical manner, "loading" the bipod was a new concept to me. I was shooting off a slick wood top bench, so I had to put a bag in front of the bipod legs to really have any chance at loading it and keeping enough pressure against my shoulder to maintain good contact with the stock.

I think the Anschutz 64 is more than capable of shooting accurately without loading, but unfortunately at this point, I am not, without using a rear support like a bag.. I would guess that if I used the bipod and placed the stock on a rear bag, the gun would do just fine.

I am practicing and training myself to shoot first off the bench with bipod and no rear support. After I become more proficient at this, then I will move on to prone position with bipod and no rear support.

OK long answer to short question. SORRY

Actually, a great answer! Carry on with the training!

If you are near Dallas, give myself or deiselten a PM and maybe we can get out and shoot.

~ Rico