• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OK I got it, now what am I gonna do with it.

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Mann accuracy device, just arrived from CMP. 5.56 1:7, 19 in barrel, 1 1/8 diameter.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Here is what its suppose to do.

case_71_Mann_barrel_shooting8x10JPE.jpg

Re: OK I got it, now what am I gonna do with it.

Get yourself a nice curly maple 2x4 and have at it. (GRIN) Don't know what you paid for it but some of them have had extensive firing and the barrel is burnt. You might want to have it bore scoped before you spend a lot of money or time getting it stocked. JMHO

Acctually the bore is excellent. The chamber is a bit tight but I think its suppose to be.

Problem is, the sucker is heavy, if I put it in a stock, I'm gonna have to build a carriage to haul it around.

Maybe I'll just fix up a 223 Cannon.

Wait...I read they were 7.62 cal and were on 1903 receivers.

That looks like a 700 action to me.

Same price?

Yeah the 308s are in 1903a3 actions, the 223s are in Remington actions.

Not many of the 223s, when CMP gets them they sell them via auction.

I see.

First thing I would do is build something to bolt it to in order to see how accurate that device is.

Thought about re-contouring it?

It's a Mann Accuracy Device. It's what the army uses to test ammunition.

I looked it up (stolen post):

<span style="font-style: italic">Named for Dr. Franklin W. Mann, the foremost accuracy experimenter of the early twentieth century, these were used mounted in V blocks at those collars (usually two) with barrels of various diameters and characteristics to obtain results in work on velocity, accuracy, firing pin indent, and assorted other ideas with the Springfield 1903 rifles built during the 1920's and 1930's. Shorter barreled versions were constructed using the same receivers to do pistol ammunition testing as well. Apparently most any barrel could be configured to mount in the setup and extensive testing was done in those days.</span>

Interesting.

You've only got a few choices.

1) Make it into something useful.

2) Have an expensive bauble laying around, which has close to zero utility as a firearm.

3) Make a v-block, and dress up like Andy Rooney.

The problem lies in ruining it's value if you decide to make it into something useful.