• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ok, something is wrong with my USO SN4 (broken?)

EagleScout501

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2012
Richmond, Texas, USA
Ive had it for at least a month now sitting around the house waiting for its home on a new rifle I was putting together.

Fast forward, here we are, the rifle is done and I put the scope on it. Its sitting up against the couch because I simply cannot stop touching the gun so I had left it out to keep fondling it. My girlfriend then sits down on the couch and the thing slides over and hits the carpet. I tell her, no big deal, that's why I spend the money on those things. So it can take that kind of abuse.

Well so I pick the gun up again about an hour later and now from about 1.5-3 I see a small black fleck of something in the reticule. As I move to a higher focus it disappears from sight. I am thinking "ok, that's weird, that was not there before". So I bust out a lens pen and try to clean it off, nothing, its still there.

At this point I am thinking to myself, "you have got to be kidding me, please". Out of fear I check the digital push button function. Now I must say I have used the function at least 50 times since I got the optic, but for no longer than seconds just to show people. So I turn it on and crank it all the way up because it still bright out and what I observe is the brightness flickering from full to about half power. I noticed it will flick up and down in power and then settle on a power setting.

I know its a weekend so I cannot call anyone, but I will be calling USO first thing in the morning. At this point my biggest regret is having a local class 3 dealer acquire the scope for me, I wish I would have bought it directly. That would probably come in handy now that this has happened.
This is just my luck. So what should I do?

Re: Ok, something is wrong with my USO SN4

Being a FFP, the smallest particle on your scope will make it look horrible. I've had two scopes do this to me. One was a USO 3.2-17 and other was a premier 3.5-15. After shooting with it, it was obvious that the particle was gone. You can try banging it, or just go and shoot. On the lit reticle, could it be your battery is going dead?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being a FFP, the smallest particle on your scope will make it look horrible. I've had two scopes do this to me. One was a USO 3.2-17 and other was a premier 3.5-15. After shooting with it, it was obvious that the particle was gone. You can try banging it, or just go and shoot. <span style="color: #FF0000">On the lit reticle, could it be your battery is going dead?</span> </div></div>

I am hoping this is the issue, I have never owned a digital push button USO scope so im not sure what it is supposed to do when It runs out of battery life.

Also, I see it uses a little screw in battery compartment that requires a certain tool like aimpoints have, but I did not receive one of those in the box so I cant even get the battery out to replace it
smirk.gif

one more thing, unscrew the outer ring of your push button. Once removed, it has two small pins that keeps it in one position. then you have the other two contact pins. Make sure everything is lined up and don't over torque the cap when reinstalling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one more thing, unscrew the outer ring of your push button. Once removed, it has two small pins that keeps it in one position. then you have the other two contact pins. Make sure everything is lined up and don't over torque the cap when reinstalling. </div></div>

you know how after you spend a long time on a forum eventually you get to a point where you begin to observe new members coming in and asking the same dumb questions that you have seen asked and answered time and time again?

Yeah, well I feel like that new guy.

Unscrewed the cap (first thing i thought when it came apart was, omfg i broke it) and then I lined it back up and screwed it back on, now it works just fine. Thanks for the help.

I guess its not going to be as easy to get the little spec off the inside of my glass is it?

just go out and shoot(or I'll shoot it for you
wink.gif
) if it does not come off. Call Becky @ (714)582-1957 and she'll get you a return label.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

you know how after you spend a long time on a forum eventually you get to a point where you begin to observe new members coming in and asking the same dumb questions that you have seen asked and answered time and time again?

Yeah, well I feel like that new guy.

</div></div>

No stupid question bro, if you ever need help. give me a call (832)519-5041

Julio

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one more thing, unscrew the outer ring of your push button. Once removed, it has two small pins that keeps it in one position. then you have the other two contact pins. Make sure everything is lined up and don't over torque the cap when reinstalling. </div></div>

I guess its not going to be as easy to get the little spec off the inside of my glass is it? </div></div>

This happend to me with a USO scope a cople of years ago.. This will sound crazy but take a hammer, wrap a towel around it and give the scope some lights taps on the main tube. What you probably have is some metal shavings on the inside. I did it and it worked. Good luck and God bless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one more thing, unscrew the outer ring of your push button. Once removed, it has two small pins that keeps it in one position. then you have the other two contact pins. Make sure everything is lined up and don't over torque the cap when reinstalling. </div></div>

I guess its not going to be as easy to get the little spec off the inside of my glass is it? </div></div>

This happend to me with a USO scope a cople of years ago.. This will sound crazy but take a hammer, wrap a towel around it and give the scope some lights taps on the main tube. What you probably have is some metal shavings on the inside. I did it and it worked. Good luck and God bless. </div></div>

did it with a rubber mallet and knocked my scope out of alignment
cry.gif

what rings are you using?

This is not uncommon for many scopes. Like stated before its just a peice of debris that was left in the scope or something that got dislodged (like glue from mfg). I would not recomend hitting your scope whial mounted on the rifle. Take the rings off the base but leave them on the scope so your zero will not change and smack the scope on something like a phone book, mouse pad, ect at different angles until the dibris is out of the immage. You will proably never see it again.

have you tried shooting it? Recoil may have the same effect as striking the scope?

It use to say on USO's site shoot it or take it for a drive down a rough road.

Have you fixed it ?

Maybe you should send it in to USO they are good people.

Ok, I did not have time all week to go shooting with it so I was going to go today since its free. well I was at my local "gun club" last night and had my scope on my SPR there and wouldn't you know it, another fleck fell onto the glass. I can take one, but 2 pieces of "debris" falling onto the inside of the glass. "at this point im really kind of disappointed". I have friends with 100$ scopes. This does not happen to theirs.

So imo there is no excuse and it is being sent back to USO. It was just my luck that the guy at the shop who hosts our gun club was right there and was the employee who helped me with my purchase and obtained it for me (in 4 weeks!) through USO. So its already on its way there. It just really lets me down that the first "high $/top of the line" piece of glass I ever buy winds up doing something like this, and that after all the research, I still had never heard of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EagleSout</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I did not have time all week to go shooting with it so I was going to go today since its free. well I was at my local "gun club" last night and had my scope on my SPR there and wouldn't you know it, another fleck fell onto the glass. I can take one, but 2 pieces of "debris" falling onto the inside of the glass. "at this point im really kind of disappointed". I have friends with 100$ scopes. This does not happen to theirs.

So imo there is no excuse and it is being sent back to USO. It was just my luck that the guy at the shop who hosts our gun club was right there and was the employee who helped me with my purchase and obtained it for me (in 4 weeks!) through USO. So its already on its way there. It just really lets me down that the first "high $/top of the line" piece of glass I ever buy winds up doing something like this, and that after all the research, I still had never heard of.
</div></div>

Dude, quit being a pansy, put on your big boy pants, and settle down. If you had done that much research, you'd have known that this is a common issue that happens and has happened with all high end scopes, and lots of cheaper scopes too. On the cheaper scopes, they either lack the coating inside for it to show up, or they have such crappy glass that you can't see it. FFP DOES make a difference in how the flecks appear, and your buddies with cheap scopes aren't running FFP either.

What happened was a coating that is use as antiglare inside the tube of the scope, had a little bit come off, and some of it got on the lense. If you search this forum and put in scope and "phonebook", you'll see this happens with lots of different scopes. The prescribed method by some manufacturers was to unmount the scope, and proceed to give it several good whacks on a phonebook. They leave some grease and stuff on the inside of the scope to catch this type of debris. If you don't want to whack it, lots of guys would just go shoot it. Between the recoil, gravity, and the grease, it would get jarred loose, and eventually get off the scope and onto the grease. Either way, you really should chill out, or you're gonna end up having an aneurism when something really does happen to your rifle. This is a tool, it's made to be used, and it's a mechanical device that can have faults. I'm not saying you have to abuse your equipment, but this is standard run of the mill stuff, and you're freaking out about it. Just take it easy, they'll make it right, but you probably could have fixed it yourself.

They'll probably whack it on a phonebook and send it back..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They'll probably whack it on a phonebook and send it back.. </div></div>'
'
Fucking LOL!!!!!!

.....or go to Iraq, have your sling break, have your rifle drop eight feet on to the asphalt and land on the rheostat knob. Not only did the fleck disappear, but that kept zero and the rheostat still functioned.....what a piece of crap.....