• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OK to dry fire a Bergara B14

dcmdon

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
Hi all. Does anyone have any info on whether or not it's ok to dry fire a Bergara B14 Rimfire rifle.

I sent a message to Bergara this week and have not heard back.

Thanks

Thanks. I have a fear of being this guy. Ha.

1700320412307.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: HPIguy
If you want to dry fire stick to a CZ457 or a Vudoo. Both of mine have a Gazillion dry fires on them and work perfectly.

Bergara/BPI does NOT recommend dry firing the rimfires.

So let's put a finer point on it. I've got several 10/22s I can actually do dry fire practice with.

I understand that a lot of dry fire has led to broken firing pins in Bergaras. But my biggest concern is contact with the breech face.

So if the risk is a broken firing pin after hundreds or thousands of shots, I won't dry fire it. But I also won't worry about "dropping the hammer" if I'm testing a trigger, for example.

But if there is a chance the firing pin can contact the edge of the chamber, I won''t even allow that on an empty chamber.

Reactions: obx22
Would I’ve been using a rimfire snap cap, on a 457 am I doing it wrong? I am new to the bolt rifle game and especially to precision rimfires. Just want to make sure that a snap cap won’t hurt anything.
Thanks!

Would I’ve been using a rimfire snap cap, on a 457 am I doing it wrong? I am new to the bolt rifle game and especially to precision rimfires. Just want to make sure that a snap cap won’t hurt anything.
Thanks!
Depends on the definition of snap cap. Stay with me here, I’m not being a jerk. Just saw in a store, a package of what I could only describe as “action proving dummy” rounds of solid aluminum designed to test action cycling, not dry firing. Synthetic snap caps are the way to go, heck even appropriately sized drywall anchors are better than nothing, and both are far better than a metal insert that’s not designed to crush or deform with impact.

if you have a friend with a 3d printer, print some 22lr dummy rounds out of TPU. I can actually work the action on the B14r and load the mags with the rubber rounds.

Reactions: MCGILLA and obx22
I save a handful of spent casing for dry firing mine. Snap a few times and toss when working on trigger or what not

Reactions: MCGILLA and obx22
Depends on the definition of snap cap. Stay with me here, I’m not being a jerk. Just saw in a store, a package of what I could only describe as “action proving dummy” rounds of solid aluminum designed to test action cycling, not dry firing. Synthetic snap caps are the way to go, heck even appropriately sized drywall anchors are better than nothing, and both are far better than a metal insert that’s not designed to crush or deform with impact.
I bought some of the Azoom ones they are little blue shells. I just use them mainly to build positions and snap a shot here and there I mainly just work on manipulating the bolt without disturbing my sights. But I do give the trigger a press from time to time

I bought some of the Azoom ones they are little blue shells. I just use them mainly to build positions and snap a shot here and there I mainly just work on manipulating the bolt without disturbing my sights. But I do give the trigger a press from time to time
Don’t those say not dry fire snap caps on the package?
IMG_6006.png

Reactions: obx22
Well hell I never looked glad I asked and glad you mentioned it. Damn regrettable I guess I need to read instructions 😆 seriously I appreciate it I haven’t done much so it’s not likely hurt anything yet, but it’s winter here in the north and I was getting ready to do a whole lot of dry practice, you saved my rifle

Reactions: obx22 and hafejd30
Well hell I never looked glad I asked and glad you mentioned it. Damn regrettable I guess I need to read instructions 😆 seriously I appreciate it I haven’t done much so it’s not likely hurt anything yet, but it’s winter here in the north and I was getting ready to do a whole lot of dry practice, you saved my rifle
Now you can tell your wife you “need” a Vudoo so you can dry fire