• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Old eyes, want LASIK, Seeing through a scope

cvuxton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2008
Warrenton, VA
My eyes are mature...OK, old. I wear bi-focal contacts and reading glasses too if the light is dim. I'm thinking about getting LASIK. I realize I'll have to use reading glasses. Question is, will I be able to use my scope without glasses?

Chris

I have PRK........a similar laser surgery to LASIK in 2005.
Yes, you will be fine using scope without glasses.

Everyone isn't a good candidate for it, only "they" can tell you what the end results "might" be.

I had it, best money ever spent, but I was young and it has lasted well.

As long as your lasik procedure goes well you will be able to use a scope without glasses. Be sure to get some good, polarized shooting glasses as well no cheap crap. You can get burns on the lenses of your eyes if you do not wear good eyeball protection.

Had LASIK 9 years ago and one of the best things I ever did. 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. Wear reading glasses for reading only and no issues whatsoever in looking through scopes. Iron sights a little more of a challenge since my close up vision is not quite as focused.

If the doc says your a good candidate, I say do it! Just had LASIK done a few weeks ago, and buy far the best money i have ever spent. My contacts would always rotate and go out of focus while I was shooting. Drove me crazy and really caused me trouble during timed stages. Eyes come before optics in my opinion.

Thanks for the info. My doc a year or so back said I had the beginnings of a cataract (God, does this aging crap get any better?) He said about 10 years till it was a problem but better go back and ask in regards to LASIK.

I won't be able to blame the glasses anymore but have a floater or two in that eye. No real problem but there enought that I named it Duke.

Thanks for the info. My doc a year or so back said I had the beginnings of a cataract (God, does this aging crap get any better?) He said about 10 years till it was a problem but better go back and ask in regards to LASIK.

I won't be able to blame the glasses anymore but have a floater or two in that eye. No real problem but there enought that I named it Duke.

I've had more medical problems in the last 4 years than in my entire life before and I'm not even 50 yet.
I have to keep reminding myself, getting old beats the alternative.