• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Old Fashioned trigger job? Rem700

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Anyone reputable do trigger jobs on old remington triggers anymore?

I have a 40x and M24 trigger I'd like to have done to possibly drop the weight. Seems my m24 wont go much below 3.5/4lbs and my 40x maxes out at 2.5lbs. If possible I'd like to get them down to 1.5lbs and still pass a drop test.

not sure if thats even possible but thought I'd ask.

Reactions: kthomas
    With stock triggers I don't think you'll get anywhere near the poundage you are looking for. Besides that, I don't think a trigger set that low would pass a drop test.

Reactions: shoobe01
    I did my own. Used a super fine stone to hone the edges to an almost razor edge with a mirror polish. If you breathe on it or even think about touching it, it goes off. It will not fire if dropped. I do not recommend this for casual shooting or hunting, it's a target gun. Plus, it's easy to mess up and once you've gone too far, you'll need a new trigger. Just put a new trigger in and save yourself the headache.

To replace the 40x id have no problem swapping out a trigger. The m24 trigger is on an m40a5 build though and im not willing to swap that out. Figured if I can find someone to tune the m24 id get him to do both.

Also not really willing to try it myself with such an expensive trigger.

Neil Jones in PA is the man for M700 trigger jobs, he's been doing them forever and I'm sure can handle all variations. Take the trigger off and drop it in the mail to him with a check for $75 and a note saying what pull weight you want. The ones I've had him do have come back perfect.

Neil Jones Gunsmithing

Reactions: Bender
    I have several "tuned" older style (walker) 700 triggers. Most I did myself and but others done by Dave Tooley. I set them all at 2.5 for everything and they pass the hammer test, drop test....etc. I went that way because I like the triggers and had them on all my actions.

Another way (probably cheaper in the long run) would be to switch to an after market trigger that is already designed to be adjusted in the range you want it and sell the ones you have.

^^^ Neil Jones is the real deal as well

Any place to get trigger springs? Talked to a few smiths and it seems like all they will do is a gentle hone of the contact sears, swap springs and adjust the screws. Honestly thought there was more involved than that.

Going to check out mcmaster and see what i can find but don't know if there are any resources specifically for trigger springs.

Going to give neil jones an email either way. Seems here and another forum highly recommend him.

Any place to get trigger springs? Talked to a few smiths and it seems like all they will do is a gentle hone of the contact sears, swap springs and adjust the screws. Honestly thought there was more involved than that.

Going to give neil jones an email either way. Seems here and another forum highly recommend him.

Jard and Holland both make springs for the trigger.

Walker didn't design a particularly complex trigger, but it is reliable in a broad number of conditions when operated within it's design parameters.

Truthfully, I'd bet that 98%+ of shooters that have used Remington 700's Walker triggers over the years canNOT out-shoot the trigger...many just think they can.

-Nate

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    Jard and Holland both make springs for the trigger.

Walker didn't design a particularly complex trigger, but it is reliable in a broad number of conditions when operated within it's design parameters.

Truthfully, I'd bet that 98%+ of shooters that have used Remington 700's Walker triggers over the years canNOT out-shoot the trigger...many just think they can.

-Nate

If I can get a pull weight of 1.5lbs in any of my walkers Id have them on every gun. Still in my opinion one of the best feeling breaks of any trigger ive pulled. Thats from AI, bix, timney, rifle basics, jewel, trigger tech experience.

Thanks for the tips... going to look up both and see if I can get some springs.

It's difficult to get those triggers to 1 1/2 lbs and still be safe. Safe for me is taking the wooden handle on my bench hammer and tapping on the bolt shroud. Then check to see if the sear engagement changed. Springs will change the pull weight but do nothing from a safety standpoint.

Agree.

I like to micro-polish the surfaces very, very carefully, and parallel to travel. Paired with setting sear engagement fine (but not "match trigger" fine), one can easily get a 2-lb trigger with take-up that, though present, is smooth enough that the finger has a hard time noticing.

I've seen so many truly hellacious groups and scores and hits made with triggers in the 2-5 lb range--and have shot more than one or two myself--that I am nearly certain most users of this forum can be okay with a good 2 lb trigger if they spent the time to learn it.

-Nate

It's difficult to get those triggers to 1 1/2 lbs and still be safe. Safe for me is taking the wooden handle on my bench hammer and tapping on the bolt shroud. Then check to see if the sear engagement changed. Springs will change the pull weight but do nothing from a safety standpoint.

Completely agree, if you want a 1 1/2 lb trigger just buy a quality brand that is designed to operate safely in that range.

Going to check out mcmaster and see what i can find but don't know if there are any resources specifically for trigger springs.

Brownells sells kits of spring stock. You can trim them to your own lengths. With the newer over-lawyered Walker triggers I think you will find it necessary to replace the springs with springs that are slightly longer but have thinner wire in their coils. This will allow you to lighten the trigger but still maintain enough travel for safe reset and sear retention in the drop test. A prefit set is easier, making your own to length is more flexible...............dj

I had my gunsmith adjust my Walker trigger, it's set to 2lbs and I was advised to not go any lighter.