• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Old FN Mauser?

MStarmer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2012
Pac NW
Since this place has the most knowledgeable rifle guys around I figured I'd ask for a little help figuring out what this is?

I inherited this rifle from my father about 5yrs ago and really don't know anything about it. I remember it on a wall rack for all this time and think it was built around 1970 or so. Other than that it's .270 Weatherby Mag, I have about 40 pieces of brass for it and think that's all it's been fired. I take it out of the safe every now and then and oil it down (as you can see in pics). Odd scope mount set up, elevation adjustable maybe? I've never shot it, have no idea what it can do. Any idea on what the stock is and value of this rifle? Hopefully the pics are ok, trying out a new digital camera so it was a little work figuring out all them buttons!

Thanks for any help!

270_1.jpg

action.jpg

barrel.jpg

Mount.jpg

Rearmount.jpg

ScopeChief.jpg

stock.jpg

ButtPad.jpg

Re: Old FN Mauser?

I would guess mid to late 60s production. Looks like a maple stock to me. I can't tell from the pictures- what type of safety does it have? The blue book says that FN produced the Supreme magnum in .264 from 1957 on. 100% value on the Supreme is $975. If selling, I would ask $1100 for your rifle; if buying, I would not want to go over $900. I have FNs in 375 H&H and 30.06. They are fine rifles and very accurate.

Sorry totally missed the safety side. Here's a quick iphone pic. I have heard the term curly maple, maybe?

Thanks for the info so far!

safety.jpg

Just a guess, but I would bet that your rifle was not completed by FN. They sold barreled actions to gunsmiths. It looks like a gunsmith started with the action and made a custom maple stock. The earlier FNs had the traditional Mauser top throw safety, yours is a later style, much like the Browning safari rifles. In any case, you have a fine rifle (and most likely a shooter).

The butt indicates Bob Johnson in Spokane, WA was the builder.

In the 60s there were several sources of good blanks for stocks, and the grain/figure on yours looks pretty good....so does the checkering.

For a nominal cost you could get them (from Flaig's, or Robert's, or Lawson, or Bishop) semi-inleted or fully inleted, checkered and finished, from plain to highly-highly figured.

The FN was a good action for a custom build.

The Buehler mount & rings also indicate this was a custom build (because there were cheaper mounts/rings available then).

Should be a very good hunting rifle, looks well done, nice finish, etc.

I also tend to think this was built in the early to mid-sixties.

Maybe someone from the Eastern Washington or upper Idaho remembers that gunsmith and can tell you more about it.

However, it is possible that Bob Johnson just made the stock, possibly bedded the barreled action. Or he might have built the entire rifle.

Have you taken the barreled action out of the stock to see if there is any other information underneath?

Yes I have taken it out once many years ago I think it's signed by Bob on the stock. My dad grew up in Bonners Ferry ID and we lived in Spokane. Unfortunately any of the people that I could inquire about are long gone. When I look up Bob Johnson of Spokane I only get one article that pops up about him talking about bedding etc..

Link