• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old gun prices

ChevyTXhunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
So, my dad and I were going through our little gun collection, and we know that we have a few old, nice rifles, but we don't know how much they are worth. He has been doing some research online and getting mean prices for the low and high end for them and were wondering what y'all thought.
Gun list:
Browning Model 81-BLR
Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative
Savage Model 990 (I know not worth much)
Savage Model 840
Ruger .45-70 Gov
US Springfield Armory Model 1903 Mark 1
And, Colt Combat Commander (Not looking to sell, but would like to know the amount it is worth.)

That is about all of the rifles we have, but we have like four old black hawk frame rugers, in .45, .357/.38, and one .44.

Re: Old gun prices

my neighbor is cleaning it up for us, we have another one, but the only thing that is really original is the action. Once we get it back, ill post some pictures. ill probably do the same for all of them.

okay, I should be getting it back this weekend, so ill see what i can do!

Interesting list.....would be great to see pics.

But don't fall foul of the 100 post minimum required for selling
wink.gif

Im interesting in seeing that 1903 as well. Before you cleaned it up even ha I like seeing the dirt and grime of a well used tool of true patriots.

"Im interesting in seeing that 1903 as well. Before you cleaned it up even ha I like seeing the dirt and grime of a well used tool of true patriots."

Haha, the 1903 surprisingly wasn't all that dirty. The only that was dirty was the chamber. But, we shot it last weekend, and it was still dead on at 100 yards with a peep sight. Lol

^ haha yeah, I'm shootin the .30-30 right now, it's doing pretty good for now!

The 1903 Mark I actually looks like a Remington or Smith Corona 1903a3. The Mark I had ladder sights and a slot cut in the left side of the receiver for the Pederson device. The A3 was put into service in late 1942. What does it say on the receiver? Does the barrel have a date and manufacturers code on it? Looks like a very nice rifle, the a3's usually bring between $600 and $800 dollars in good condition. Hope this helps.

Xarmor is correct, that's a 1903A3, not a Mark I.

Though there is nothing wrong with the 'A3, I like them better then the 1903, mainly because of the rear sights. Easier (for me) to shoot accuratly.

Show a pic of the Savage 840. If it's an 840 it might be made for Savage by Springfield. Springfield as in the Federal Armory, not the new company. Or, it might be a Savage 340?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChevyTXhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, my dad and I were going through our little gun collection, and we know that we have a few old, nice rifles, but we don't know how much they are worth...
</div></div>

Have you consulted the Blue Book of Gun Values? Your local library might have a copy.

sandwarrior, yeah it was made by Springfield. It was confusing me why it had Savage and the Springfield Armory stamp on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paladin 01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChevyTXhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, my dad and I were going through our little gun collection, and we know that we have a few old, nice rifles, but we don't know how much they are worth...
</div></div>

Have you consulted the Blue Book of Gun Values? Your local library might have a copy. </div></div>

yeah we looked at em a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XARMOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1903 Mark I actually looks like a Remington or Smith Corona 1903a3. The Mark I had ladder sights and a slot cut in the left side of the receiver for the Pederson device. The A3 was put into service in late 1942. What does it say on the receiver? Does the barrel have a date and manufacturers code on it? Looks like a very nice rifle the a3's usually bring between $600 and $800 dollars in good condition. Hope this helps. </div></div>

yeah it is an A3. I found that out after this post. But we do also have a Mark 1. the ladder sight is missing from it though. It also has a lot of after market shit on it. The "wood" that would be over the barrel is actually plastic, and the front sight has a little hood looking thing over it which I think is after market because it a darker black/blue than the rest of the metal work on the rifle. We haven't shot it yet so I can't tell you what it shoots like.

This question ALWAYS reminds me of the old pawnshop owner's kid doing arithmetic. His teacher asks him how much is two and two and the kid says, it depends. Teacher says depends? Depends on what? Kid replies, you buying or selling?

See auction sites for what HAS sold in real world market prices.

Same gun same condition at a gun store may list for $2500, at a gunshot for $5,000 but only sell at auction for $1500.

FWIW.