• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old member Old posts

RangeRookie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
I finally got back on here after a long time.
I show 50-some posts, but can't find any of them.

Says user has no posts?

Did something happen here over the years to cause data loss?

Re: Old member Old posts

yes...........and please complete YOUR profile, otherwise you'll get a spanking....do it now!

Posts on this site are only kept for 6 to 9 months, then they are pruned.

This site has too much traffic to keep posts around, not to mention the same topics come around about every 3 weeks, so why keep something you said a year or more ago.

LL, are you running out of space on your server?
Do you have a rough figure of the space taken by a year worth of posts?
Would it make sense to have this data routed to an "secondary archive", but still available to the users?
These could be dropped into flat HTML form, with simple indexing over them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL, are you running out of space on your server?
Do you have a rough figure of the space taken by a year worth of posts?
Would it make sense to have this data routed to an "secondary archive", but still available to the users?
These could be dropped into flat HTML form, with simple indexing over them.
</div></div>

I have plenty of space -- but the answer is still, no, I'm not archiving the site, I haven't in 9 years, so why start now.

Because this web site "generates" information.
Some is crap, and we know we could lose it w/out any sad feeling, but some is very interesting and it's a shame for it to be lost.
The "If you did not find it, ask again" policy only partially covers for the lost information. Some threads develop a lot of information beyond what the simple thread subject tell us.
Some of the member that contributed to the original data, might be missing certain posts, or not willing to divulge such info yet again, or simply be no more following SH.
If you have plenty of space, and if, like I think since it looks pretty advanced, your forum software supports archiving, do you have any special reason for not doing it?

It's extra work for me I don't feel like doing not to mention having to cull through the bullshit in order to archive the right posts would be a monumental task in itself.

information changes all the time, it will come around again, that I promise.