• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing OLD old style R700 trigger question

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
I've been carrying around an old style R700 trigger in my ruck for when one of my Jewells takes a dump (which they haven't so far-3k rds no cleaning, field conditions).

I was trying to put it in my stepson's 700 because the Xmark that came with it is cockeyed and squeezing in his chassis. At this point I realized what I have is the REAL OLD style, that has a tab on the safety that locks the bolt. Of course this won't work in a modern 700 action since there's no relief cut in the receiver for it to fit. I'm glad I found this now, not in the middle of a match somewhere when I needed it.....

My question is this, can I put a newer old style safety on it or do I need to swap it for a different trigger altogether?

Here's a pic that I found online of what type of trigger I have:

Attachments

• old r700 trigger.jpg
    old r700 trigger.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 10
Yes you can cut the tab off or you can replace the safety lever with something to fit the current design.

Does this have the 2 pc split sear in it? It is worth some money that way because it is period correct for M40 builds. You could sell it and buy a newer one.