• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Terrapin Issue - Help

StormHorny

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Elizabeth, CO
I am looking for any help I can find at this point. I have the old version Terrapin that does not have very many miles on it for something that I paid nearly $2000 for and for whatever reason it will give me a range reading or two and then simply quit working for a period of time, say an hour or more. Then it will work again for one or tow readings, then stop again. I have changed out batteries multiple times and that hasn't solved it. I called Mile High where I purchased it for assistance, they sent me to EuroOptic who then referred me to Optics One and they basically said I was SOL. The one guy I talked to at Optics One said he would get back to me but I have only heard crickets for the last week or more. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Or, do I simply have a really expensive paperweight at this point since nobody seems to know where I can get this thing serviced short of sending it to another continent, and even then it sounded like a long shot. Any help on who to call or some troubleshooting ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Email safran directly. What you describe is a heat related power issue. My GE fridge did that. There were a couple spots on the circuit board that were not soldered correctly. Simple fix for someone who can take it apart.

Reactions: StormHorny
They are not supporting it, i would be surprised if you get a response.

They said, its a dead product line. $2000 brick

Wow. With customer support like that it won't be a hard decision not to go back to them for a new one. $2000 isn't chump change and to just flat out quit supporting it is a pretty bad business decision for future sales. I did however get a response this morning to try and reset it to factory settings, so they AT LEAST did that. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.

Reactions: tnichols
I’ll buy your $2000 bricks for brick prices. Working or not. PM me for follow up.

It's a different company now, and it has nothing to do with CS, the product is discontinued and no longer supported physically.

That was announced years ago, the fact we have them is neither here or there.

Safran is not the original company

I am looking for any help I can find at this point. I have the old version Terrapin that does not have very many miles on it for something that I paid nearly $2000 for and for whatever reason it will give me a range reading or two and then simply quit working for a period of time, say an hour or more. Then it will work again for one or tow readings, then stop again. I have changed out batteries multiple times and that hasn't solved it. I called Mile High where I purchased it for assistance, they sent me to EuroOptic who then referred me to Optics One and they basically said I was SOL. The one guy I talked to at Optics One said he would get back to me but I have only heard crickets for the last week or more. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Or, do I simply have a really expensive paperweight at this point since nobody seems to know where I can get this thing serviced short of sending it to another continent, and even then it sounded like a long shot. Any help on who to call or some troubleshooting ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

I sold my vectronix stuff a while ago, but had access. Anyway, point being I really missed having the small beam and nothing else was even close. Sure the Sigs are cheap but not in the same class if the target isn't reflective.

That said the Leica 2700B, ranges almost as far as the your terrapin and has a very small beam. At sub $800 and tiny with way better glass.. it might be the simple out.

Reactions: Stpilot12
I’m still interested in you paper weights or bricks. I’m not dependent on their customer service.

If you continue having problems with it you might as well attempt to fix it yourself or maybe you can see if there’s an electronics technician program at your local community college and see if you can get someone there to help you with it.

Reactions: RTH1800
I’m 99% sure I can still get it repaired. But as mine still works, I need someone else’s paper weight or brick to see. If successful, I will post the method for all to know. If not, I’m the only one out money. Kinda sounds like a win reguardless of weather it works or not for the person getting money for a paper weight.

Reactions: StormHorny
I’m 99% sure I can still get it repaired. But as mine still works, I need someone else’s paper weight or brick to see. If successful, I will post the method for all to know. If not, I’m the only one out money. Kinda sounds like a win reguardless of weather it works or not for the person getting money for a paper weight.
Thant’s be awesome if you could make a run at it, thx for the reply

Somebody needs to figure out how to fix these things... As the fleet ages, more will cease to function. For those of us that still have one (mine rarely comes out of the safe much cuz Im afraid of breaking it) It would be nice to know there's someone that can work on them. Not like we're gonna have to worry about voiding a warranty... I guess the bigger issue would be spare parts or lack of.

I think the guy who sells it at paperweight price would be out some money??
Why not just hook him up with the repairman?

The person offering me the service is free to jump in at anytime. Till then my offer stands, money for currently no value kit. I’m willing to take the hit for the community to verify repair. As stated if it works again, and there is enough interest, they will expand service.
The guy selling me a paper weight is out no money as it is currently a “paper weight”. As in a rock could replace it. So again I’m the only one risking anything. If you think that’s a scam, I don’t know what else to say.

Somebody needs to figure out how to fix these things... As the fleet ages, more will cease to function. For those of us that still have one (mine rarely comes out of the safe much cuz Im afraid of breaking it) It would be nice to know there's someone that can work on them. Not like we're gonna have to worry about voiding a warranty... I guess the bigger issue would be spare parts or lack of.

What model number is your Leica I used?

I was so impressed as I mentioned I ran out and bought the 2700.. Dense trees usually over 2K. I know why trees? So I can scout a bit while hunting - I verified the beam with NV, seems to be lined up nicely.. The ballistics feature is worse than lame, but this is hands down the best unit for the $. My vectronics did range a bit further, now I am glad it is gone.

Thanks again for the tip!

I sold my Terripan as soon as the word came out they were orphaned.
The writing was on the wall.

What model number is your Leica I used?

I was so impressed as I mentioned I ran out and bought the 2700.. Dense trees usually over 2K. I know why trees? So I can scout a bit while hunting - I verified the beam with NV, seems to be lined up nicely.. The ballistics feature is worse than lame, but this is hands down the best unit for the $. My vectronics did range a bit further, now I am glad it is gone.

Thanks again for the tip!

Yup! That was the 2700b we had out that day.. I’ve had great results with that puppy
The other day I tracked a Doe from 1130yds til I lost her over a ridge around 1250. No problem staying right her.

So far I’ve managed to get identical results on a 66% ipsc steel to 1200 yds with the Old Terrapin and the 2700 side by side on tripods. And not under ideal conditions, hot, smokey, mirage... As you mentioned, $800... perfect for me

Reactions: Diver160651
The person offering me the service is free to jump in at anytime. Till then my offer stands, money for currently no value kit. I’m willing to take the hit for the community to verify repair. As stated if it works again, and there is enough interest, they will expand service.
The guy selling me a paper weight is out no money as it is currently a “paper weight”. As in a rock could replace it. So again I’m the only one risking anything. If you think that’s a scam, I don’t know what else to say.

Why not just pass on the info of the guy offering the repair service to StormHorny?

Sorry I failed to clarify. The repair person (a friend) put me onto this thread (he’s reading it) in the hope I could pick up one for cheap for the experiment. The last one he did works flawlessly now. If he wants to speak up and offer his service to others he will. That’s his decision not mine. Till then I’m just the guy offering money for non working Terripans. Yes it would help if he would step in but the only thing he hates more than people is forum people. Again my apologies for not being clear.

What are the most common things that break on the Tarrapin?

Mine has held out well but it's gonna suck when/if it goes down. Up until this year the rest of the common range finders fell way short if compared so I've been very happy with mine.

I hope this guy learns how to fix them!

You may be right on the people’s money idea. But he’s only hit me up for money so far. Unless he is PMing people and swearing them to silence.
Terripans the early ones like mine had display reading issues. Took about 6 months to get it back from the original company back in the day. Several people reported similar issues. Other than that the only think I have heard of was permanent failure to read. Never seen it though. Sorry again if I start some form of drama. I just thought the attempt at a fix was worth the effort.

My terrapin will only range at night not during the day. I talked to Optics One late last year and they said it would be $800 to inspect. It’s still sitting on my bench. I’d like to get it fixed but didn’t think it was worth another 800 to look at it plus more $$ to actually repair it. Would love to get it fixed someday though.

Remains to be seen, I can only verify he fixed one. Till another pops up for repair we will all be wondering and hoping.

Remains to be seen, I can only verify he fixed one. Till another pops up for repair we will all be wondering and hoping.
How much are you willing to pay for a non working terrapin?

Last edited:
Any updates to this thread? I live in Canada and have a Terrapin that has intermittent display issues. Anyone able to fix their Terrapins?

Any updates to this thread? I live in Canada and have a Terrapin that has intermittent display issues. Anyone able to fix their Terrapins?

Check out http://www.optics1.com/

I reached out to them a while back about mine and he said it could be fixed. The problem was it was like $800 to diagnose. I asked if the 800 would be applied towards repairs if I proceeded forward and never heard back so I never sent it in. I think I’d rather apply that 800 towards the newer terrapin or something that has a service option.

I talked to them awhile back. The 800 covers the inspect only, but they said they would scrap it for me after i paid the 800. They said mine had a problem with the memory. It would range find out to 1000, past that was no good. They sent me estimate for 3k to repair it. Its still at their shop. Theres a whole thread about it.

1550954593244.png

Last edited:
Problem this day and age with anything that is computer driven, or has miniature electronic components is it becomes obsolete very quickly. The companies that make the components, or subassemblies make X number over a course of contracted production runs, sometimes only for one company. Contract may stipulate an additional 10% for spare parts. Hardly anyone outside of hobby, engineering programs, technical schools, or some military depot level maintenance repair circuits boards anymore. Especially the high density, multi-layer boards. It's just not cost effective. Easier to just replace the board or subassembly, and throw the old one in the recycle bin. If no parts are available anymore, the company just tells you it's "legacy" equipment, and they'll try to sell you their latest and greatest model instead.
Another problem is, even if you have the know-how, equipment, spare parts, etc. It's very difficult to repair the new stuff without repair manuals, schematic diagrams, etc.
Most companies will not provide repair manuals or schematics, even on out of production equipment.

I worked in the avionics, communication, Intel collection world for many years, NASA level high reliability soldering, worked on multi-layer boards under a microscope, etc.

Like it or not, it's a disposable world now. However, trying to fix it won't hurt. As someone alluded to above, it could be something as simple as a cold solder joint that became separated from corrosion or vibration. Easy fix if you know what to look for, and how to fix it without ruining it.