• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Older Remington 700

Eastbay

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2013
Navarre, FL
Just got off the phone with Remington Consumer Services and they dated my newly acquired Remington 700 to be one of the first ones made, date of manufacturer - 1963! Had no idea what I had in my hands.

Last edited:
Older Remington 700

Pics. Or it never happened.

I'd love to see it. The "Older" ones just have a better look, to me.

Last edited:
Yeah I can see that. Here's a cell phone pic.

63_700.JPG

It is now a freshly built, trued, and blueprinted 338 EDGE behind a Hart pole. Not sure what it was.

Last edited:
That's pretty awesome - I've never seen a serial number so low on a R700.

It's also very cool that the gun continues to serve someone's needs, even after five decades. Quite the difference from so many throw-away items in the modern consumer culture...

Those old flat safety triggers are amazing, for hunting anyways. I just grabbed my wife a 1967 m700 in 243 Win. I tore the trigger down, cause it was groddy, cleaned it up and adjusted. 26 oz with ease, the sear hold no matter how hard I cycle the bolt.

Anyways, those old actions are great. I like what you have done with yours. Her's is staying as purchased.

E33D0405-CF7A-4C16-8BCD-9FBDB5D1B7AE_zpskxcppgjt.jpg

Those old flat safety triggers are amazing, for hunting anyways. I just grabbed my wife a 1967 m700 in 243 Win. I tore the trigger down, cause it was groddy, cleaned it up and adjusted. 26 oz with ease, the sear hold no matter how hard I cycle the bolt.

Anyways, those old actions are great. I like what you have done with yours. Her's is staying as purchased.

That's one good looking rifle!

I'm hoping it shoots as well as it looks. I have only tried one load, basically factory like load. It shot pretty dang well. I've got some loaded up, just waiting for another decent day.

Thanks for the complement. I can't believe we found it in this condition, at Cabela's, for $365 OTD! I figured it was worth that for the action. Then I screwed up and shot it! Now she won't let me tear it apart for a build...:D

They came out with the 700 in 1962. What caliber is your rifle ?

When I was much, much younger I bought a M700 in 7mm Magnum. It dated to 1962. I paid $185 for it at a pawnshop. Turned out the barrel was toast (3-4inch groups at 100), and like most of us, I sold it to pay bills. I did get $250 for it though. I have one of those flat sided triggers set aside for a future build. I always thought they looked so much cooler than the current ones.

The Kaiser