• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oldish powder

Shootinsurveyor

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2009
VA
A friend just gave me some reloading stuff that I had left at his house back around 2003. Had done some learning at his place and never really got into it until recently. One of the items was a metal can of IMR4350. This powder has been kept out in a non climate controlled outbuilding for probably most of the time from purchase in 2003 or 04 till now. Don't know how long it had been at the shop before I bought it also. Does smokeless powder degrade over time providing it is stored properly? I just got a 243 and was hoping to use it to work some loads up. I will just buy new powder if this stuff is no good or won't match up to other newer batches.

What do you think?

Re: Oldish powder

I still have some stuff in old cardboard "cans" that still goes bang....

smell it. If it smells like solvent or ether then it's good. if the powder starts smelling like acid/ammonia, then it is going bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Powder is not expensive... I would use ti for plinking <span style="font-weight: bold">and nothing else.</span> </div></div>

this makes no sense, if the powder is still good, which is a strong possibility, then develop a load with it and shoot it...

2003? Way back when, the Gov was selling M1's and 1903'A3 for a little bit. Think "$20" or less. But...you had to compete in a sponsored match...so I did. 1977 plus or minus, I shot in the qualifing match. The rifle (M1 Garand 1944), the ammo (1950 or so, Armory), the shooter (1939 or so), were all over 30 years old. As doubled says...if the powder don't stink...don't worry. Shoot it. JMHO

2003? Way back when, the Gov was selling M1's and 1903'A3 for a little bit. Think "$20" or less. But...you had to compete in a sponsored match...so I did. 1977 plus or minus, I shot in the qualifing match. The rifle (M1 Garand 1944), the ammo (1950 or so, Armory), the shooter (1939 or so), were all over 30 years old. As doubled says...if the powder don't stink...don't worry. Shoot it. JMHO

2003? I still have powder from 1988 that is just fine. When I moved to Western NC from Eastern NC it sat in a storage unit for a couple years with no ill effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootinsurveyor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend just gave me some reloading stuff that I had left at his house back around 2003. Had done some learning at his place and never really got into it until recently. <span style="font-weight: bold">One of the items was a metal can of IMR4350.</span> This powder has been kept out in a non climate controlled outbuilding for probably most of the time from purchase in 2003 or 04 till now. Don't know how long it had been at the shop before I bought it also. Does smokeless powder degrade over time providing it is stored properly? <span style="font-weight: bold">I just got a 243 and was hoping to use it to work some loads up. I will just buy new powder if this stuff is no good <span style="text-decoration: underline">or won't match up to other newer batches</span></span>.

What do you think? </div></div>

I think it's a pound of powder that you won't miss if you pitch it on the flower bed.....

Or, it's a pound of powder you can use to get something close during initial load development. You'll burn that up in no time.

If it's not caked up and smells like paint thinner then it's probably still good, but you might not get it to match current lot numbers so go into it with that expectation.

In any case, it's still just a pound of powder with an old lot number.....no harm no foul, whatever you decide........

Sounds like H4350 is more what I'm interested in with my 105 Amax. I will load some up with the IMR4350 just to see how the accuracy will be until I can get some more powder or may not have to. I'm not on a quest for highest fps or anything. The powder looks like the can was just opened. Got a box of 500 moly DTACS coming in with my nused barrel. Can't decide whether to sell them and just use the 105 Amax or give them a shot. Probably will sell them since I'm looking for dual purpose hunting target round.