• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns OLIGHT PL-MINI Valkyrie First Look

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I was contacted by OLIGHT and asked to check this light out and let others know what I think of it. They sent me one for free to evaluate. Here are some of my first thoughts.

I asked OLIGHT where they are made and what kind of testing they are put through. They told me they are made in China and claim they are subject to vibration tests and water resistance tests. But the proof would be in the pudding, I suppose, which means using them extensively and for as long a time as possible to gain confidence they are going to be still be in one piece after a lot of vigorous use. I for one would not be willing to put them on my primary SD handgun. But my first impressions is that it is well made. I have another mini O light I've been running on an AR for a while and it is holding together well.

It locks down on the Glock very well and comes, out of the box, ready to go for Glock. For a 1911/Pic rail it comes with an adapter and the proper allen wrench to install it. The controls are rather sharp and uncomfortable and there is no "instant on/off" function. You have to press down on the switch to turn on, press again for off. I'd prefer an instant on/off. I am NOT in favor of running around with a weapon mounted light on all the time. That is advertising precisely where you are and basically offering a "shoot here" signal for a threat.

It has an interesting charging system. It comes with a magnetic tab that attaches to the bottom of the light and you can charge it using any USB port available.

It is advertised as 400 Lumens, with a throw of 75 meters. That throw seems more than a bit of stretch to me (pun intended). But 400 lumens is plenty of light for the vast majority of scenarios in a house one could imagine having to use it in. People think the more lumens the better, but that is absolutely NOT true. And most folks who lack proper training with an attached handgun light end up blinding themselves momentarily when they turn it on in a typical interior room in a house. The way to use them is "light down, eyes up" and that's why I *much* prefer a quick momentary on switch that instantly switches off when you release your thumb from it. You get a flash picture of the room, then when ready to get sights on target you engage the light when sights are target, etc. and at that point you are so focused on the thread you don't notice the light, "ocular occlusion" kicks in at that point.

Now there is a catch. 400 Lumens for constant "on" for ten minutes, and after that point it will step down to 60 lumens. Would you need to run it for ten minutes straight? If you are using the weapon light like you would a flashlight you are basically using it incorrectly and advertising your presence and muzzle sweeping anything in front of the handgun, so FWIW that's something to keep in mind.

Since they are now offering these at a very good price, half-price, you might want to pick one up and give it a try. Link here.

I'd suggest they provide a momentary on switch that deactivates when you release it and round the switch edges.

uje8RB3.jpg

TPxW2Uzh.jpg

2k6sh2Ch.jpg

uI11wEGh.jpg

qMLn2cth.jpg

rS0hOB8h.jpg

I have one on my FNX 45 Tactical and I like it. Light weight, easy to activate, and the price was right.

Just got one from that sale. Great little light. If you hold the on switch becomes momentary. Took a little work tap on hold for more than a second or so it turns off when you let go.