• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Olympics Biathlon

Just finished watching the race. That is why biathlon is so awesome! One miss can knock you out of the race!

Did anyone else think Chad Samela was going to stroke out after the last shoot? He was really getting in to it.

If anyone was wondering why the Russians are using Annies, this might be part of the reason. (Gory details on page 3)
View attachment John Benjamin - Izhmash Barrel Replacement Revision -.pdf

I was in the VTARNG Mountain Battalion. We had several biathletes train with us. Several of them were ski instructors to the rest of us. They took naturally to the summer missions, and excelled when the snow flew.

Here is a shot of the current team at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CQp_gF7Zh0

Somehow I knew this was going to be a small world. Russ, I don't know of a Biathlete book.

Biathletes are tough customers. Just to ski that far and hard is tough but to be able to shoot perfectly at 50m with peeps while breathing that hard is amazing. Anybody know whose ammo they are shooting?

Irish

Once upon a time, Eley Tenex was "the" match .22 ammo. Damn expensive stuff, too. My 52 target loves Eley, but it's too expensive to justify these days at $23 a box... that's for 50. Not for a carton of 500...

And I am betting that most countries have their own preferred brand.

Eley was British as I recall and damn did that stuff shoot. It was also incredibly quiet.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Where can I get info on these "Fortner" actions? Is there a US distributor? On TV they look like the actions on high dollar PCP guns. Want to know more about them.

Fortner Biathlon

The National Firearms Museum: Anschutz Model 1827 Fortner Bolt Action Biathlon Rifle

Anschutz Model 1827 Biathlon Match Rifle .22lr : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

^^^ And one for sale. Anschutz 1827. Fortner action. IMHO, if you want one, don't bother looking now. They are all hot and trendy due to the Olympics. Come summer time, everyone will have forgotten about them and you'll get one for a song. Used biathlon rifles tend to be very inexpensive... especially 'last' generation equipment. In this country, it's a small sport and a small community. So used equipment isn't as in demand as it might be in the Nordic countries or similar. I bought a used Russian biathlon rifle a few years ago (non-fortner) for about $275. Fit and finish nothing to write home about, but all there, lots of clips and dead nuts accurate. I'll post pix when I get a chance. For a full-up Fortner, I have no idea what one would sell for. But I am willing to bet that they will be cheaper in 2 - 3 months.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Where can I get info on these "Fortner" actions? Is there a US distributor? On TV they look like the actions on high dollar PCP guns. Want to know more about them.

Call Homer:

Anschutz | Champion's Choice

and if they cant give you the info you are looking for give Scott a call. He may not know about the Fortner action all that much but I am willing to bet he knows who does:

Pilkguns

I have worked with both of these guys over the last 15-20 years and they are top shelf. Homer can come off grouchy but that is just him, he is a good guy...

What's your take on the Izhmash 7-4 rifles? Also due to being a lefty, should I keep pursuing a left action or learn to shoot as a righty? I haven't seen any left handed shooters at the games? I know with blinders I have no issue with it.

US in the lead for overall medals right now, but 3rd in Golds, behind Norway and Germany.