• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ? on QD mounts for ARs

300Norma1959

Auto Animal
Banned !
Minuteman
May 26, 2020
I have several QD mounts that I use on my AR optics and I am thinking the they are not worth the bother or the price.

They need to be tight, and as such, the levers are hard to move when removing the scope. I usually end up using a plastic stick as a tool to pry them open. Seems to me that I might as will spend less and buy non QD mounts and use a wrench.

Am I missing something?

I have a LaRue LT 204 on my rig. I have no complaints with it, and wouldn’t hesitate to buy another.
F18B651C-2057-44F9-B7E9-D1384BEEFEB3.jpeg

Have use a couple LaRue scope & red-dot mounts, and agree with your statement - they lock down tight, but I almost need a pry bar to remove it. So the "Q" in QD is kind of a misnomer. But I just picked up an ADM Recon mount in a trade, and it's MUCH easier to install & remove quickly, while still feeling like a rock solid mount. Word on the street is the POI shifts a little more than other brands, but it's still less than 1/2 MOA (allegedly). Good enough for me on my rifles!

If I really expected to swap optics often, the ADM is easier to do so than the LaRue. It's a nice feature to have in a pinch (haven't needed it yet), but I tend to have an optic mated to each rifle pretty much permanently.

I have both LaRue and ADM and I use a plastic pry tool on both. Seems counterproductive.

Have use a couple LaRue scope & red-dot mounts, and agree with your statement - they lock down tight, but I almost need a pry bar to remove it. So the "Q" in QD is kind of a misnomer. But I just picked up an ADM Recon mount in a trade, and it's MUCH easier to install & remove quickly, while still feeling like a rock solid mount. Word on the street is the POI shifts a little more than other brands, but it's still less than 1/2 MOA (allegedly). Good enough for me on my rifles!

If I really expected to swap optics often, the ADM is easier to do so than the LaRue. It's a nice feature to have in a pinch (haven't needed it yet), but I tend to have an optic mated to each rifle pretty much permanently.

You know that you can adjust the LaRue Mount to make them fit properly, right? :rolleyes:

Beware of any mount that has a SPRING in the locking mechanism.

I'd limit QD mounts to optics and other items you anticipate needing to add, move, or remove in the field. If all of your intended modifications will be at home, then you might as well use screws and a torque wrench.

Reactions: army_eod
You know that you can adjust the LaRue Mount to make them fit properly, right? :rolleyes:

Beware of any mount that has a SPRING in the locking mechanism.

I know but LaRue says that they need to be very tight

What he said. The ADM "QD" has a little more emphasis on the "Q" than the LaRue. But the LaRue supposedly is more consistent in keeping its zero. I believe it based on my experiences with the hardware.

I have several QD mounts that I use on my AR optics and I am thinking the they are not worth the bother or the price.

They need to be tight, and as such, the levers are hard to move when removing the scope. I usually end up using a plastic stick as a tool to pry them open. Seems to me that I might as will spend less and buy non QD mounts and use a wrench.

Am I missing something?
No. Not missing anything. I agree.

How often do you need to quickly remove an optic?

Like you break it and need irons pronto cause you are in a firefight.

Lol.

Have an aimpoint and a leupold in larue mounts, I switch optics around on AR’s often enough that it made sense for me at the time. My zero’s are written down for each gun, haven’t seen a dramatic shift in zero. One click at the most.

I have 5 larue QD and 1 Bobro mount , and I can say 100% never had an issue with any larue mounts and they hold poi on all my guns if I remove and reinstall , The Bobro I got is ok but I like the larue levers better . I got to like QD mounts because I do swap around optics alot and shoot almost every day , I do prefer QD mounts , I did just got in a set of eagle vision qd rings today I didnt mount on a scope yet the ring cap look exactly as the Spuhr mount with hole all over to mount accys , I only got it as it is adjustable elevation ,
LOU