• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

On the range with new reloaders

Kinetic Moose

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2018
Margaritaville....
I've had some interesting times at the local range, to include a guy dropping dead while talking to the wife mid sentence, but yesterday was a cautionary tale I thought worth sharing.

Sitting down on the end of the range minding my own frustrated with groups as usual and three guys show up, start plinking away with an AR-10, way to fast to be consistent but they are having fun. I notice they are shooting reloads and are rotating off on the rifle, so they look like they know what they are doing. First cold range and they start playing with guns on the bench and the RSO's descend quickly and square them away. Enough to raise an eyebrow but not enough to clear out for me anyway. Little time goes by and they swap rifles, and bring out a new falling block rifle that sounds a little LOUD and looks spanking new. Cold range comes around and I hear them discussing problems with their primers, get a closer look and see a primer cratered around the firing pin, with a perfect negative of the firing pin hole sticking out of the rear of the spent shell. Inquiring about load data and mentioning the fireball that's coming out the front I decide it's time to leave the range after politely advising them to maybe start with a ladder load or something that may not result in rapid disassembly of the rifle,,, insert 50 cal slap round video here. To their credit they heeded the advice and ceased firing that rifle and decided to pull the rounds apart later.

I've never really worried about others on the range save the true newbies to either a range or weapons in general, but this makes me think twice about going to public ranges.

• Wow
Reactions: acudaowner
I don't go to public ranges from Christmas time until well after the new year. It's a scary place that can have real morons at times. Unless you have enough money to buy yourself a private range stay cautious and always prioritize your own safety while at the range. The SRO's help but don't depend on them to keep you safe - I have ZERO fucking tolerance for people touching guns while I'm down range and regardless of what an SRO does will have a stern talking to anyone caught doing so or any other dumb shit near me.

The requirements for firearms ownership in America do not include any evidence of proficiency competency. Yes, public ranges, especially busy ones with lax RSOs, can be dangerous.

Just last Sunday I found the remains of a walnut stock forend at the range. I can only deduce that someone had a really bad day, probably caused by shoddy reloading practices. I chuckled a little at first but damn I really don’t want to be near when the SHTF.

Since you asked..... lol
Pics of drop-dead-gorgeous wife?:).
DSC02122.JPG

Reactions: greg1147 and mtrmn
Just last Sunday I found the remains of a walnut stock forend at the range. I can only deduce that someone had a really bad day, probably caused by shoddy reloading practices. I chuckled a little at first but damn I really don’t want to be near when the SHTF.
yeah, me either for sure. sounds like it may have hurt a little.

Last edited:
I don't go to public ranges from Christmas time until well after the new year. It's a scary place that can have real morons at times. Unless you have enough money to buy yourself a private range stay cautious and always prioritize your own safety while at the range. The SRO's help but don't depend on them to keep you safe - I have ZERO fucking tolerance for people touching guns while I'm down range and regardless of what an SRO does will have a stern talking to anyone caught doing so or any other dumb shit near me.
good thought, private ranges down here are better but no guarantee, just more expensive toys, still the same crowd...

I go to one public range to shoot 600 yards. I shoot at the house for everything else. I’d like to buy enough land to have 800-1K, so I could skip the public range, but this range is fairly quiet and well ran so I rake what I can get

Reactions: Kinetic Moose
Next after protecting the children, Liberals will sell it as protecting the gun owners.....😂
You know I was thinking that
I think we should sell it through mandatory conscription though 2 years 4 if you want free college
That would solve a lot of issues in the past but with todays unicorn army it might backfire

Yeah, then you'll say, "I'd like to buy enough land to have 1k - a mile..."

Then you'll say, "I'd like to buy enough land to have a mile - 2500..."
I’m barely good enough to shoot 600 so I doubt it

I was sponsored by a big local range for uspsa and 3 gun and even then i hated going there on my own time. People flagging eachother, firing into the damn ceiling or just unsafe weapong handling. RSOs not doing their job or paying attention.

Its unfortunate because i remember being brand new and going to that same range and not even realizing the stuff that went on like that. Getting into our 15 acre property I at least have a 100yrd range out back to do load testing ans short range drills with the gas guns. Fortunately I do live about 12 min away from a local range that puts on PRS matches, so that helps

Reactions: Kinetic Moose
good thought, private ranges down here are better but no guarantee, just more expensive toys, still the same crowd...
at my private range we have the same dummies, just less of them. My range partner has a pic in his phone of a crater in the concrete at the firing line. apparently a boomer cooked one off while putting his rifle back in the case. Died of a heart attack a couple days later.

firing into the damn ceiling
😲😲 😲

I shoot at private gun clubs mostly. The most common thing I see is people not understanding that cold means "DON'T TOUCH YOUR FUCKING RIFLE FOR ANY REASON"

We see a lot of "well, I was just going to ______ (fill in the blank)"

Reactions: Dogtown