• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Once fired ADG brass mouth flaring??

Wink1033

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2020
Still pretty new to reloading so hopefully this is a stupid mistake on my end with an easy fix. Just finished firing the rest of my virgin ADG 6.5 creedmoor brass. Got everything washed and was ready to resize. I noticed a flaring or bell or lip (not sure what to call it) on the outside mouth of the case. I ran it through the chamfer and deburring tool on my prep center, resized it, and seated a bullet. It will not chamber in my rifle because of the lip. I chambered the piece of brass after resizing it, and it fit fine. Once I the bullet was seated that lip on the outside of the case mouth was making contact when I tried to chamber it. I compared the lip of the mouth on my loaded round to a few factory rounds I had laying around. The factory ammo all measured 0.880 while mine measured 0.940 (those numbers are from memory, but there was definitely a noticeable difference.

I didn't take any pictures of the brass that hadn't been sized yet, only the loaded round compared to a factory round, but every piece looks the exact same. There's a very clear and noticing lip, especially when I run my fingernail over it. I didn't notice it on the brass when it was new, but I'm assuming it wouldn't have chambered when I loaded the first batch if it was there.

I deprimed the brass using a Frankford arsenal hand depriming tool, and tumbled the brass with ss pins. I've read that contact between cases in the tumbler could possibly cause this, but I did about 1,200 other cases around the same time in the same exact way with no issues.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to get into prs a little bit, and have my first match in just over a month. This is the only 6.5 brass I have and I know finding some now is pretty tough.

I'm sure I'm missing some info you guys will need to help me out, so fire away with questions.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210202_174210.jpg
    20210202_174210.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210202_174242.jpg
    20210202_174242.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 85
So just a few thoughts.
1. I dont really see a debur or outer chamfer on your pics
2. What was the measured OD of the neck on the 1st firing? What is it now?
3. Have you looked in the chamber? Crud, carbon, brass
4. Same bullets?
5. Tumbling method?

Your seating die is screwed down too far.

(it’s also possible too long in stainless pin tumbling)

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try to get a picture with a black background so you can see it better.

It is the same bullet.

I thought it might be the seating die, but I used it to seat a few bullets last night with different brass (same length as virgin adg) just to double check and nothing happened. Also, would it have chambered the 1st time I loaded these? That's the only time they went in the seating die.

Chamber is clear. I double checked that and cleaned it just for good measure.

If it was the tumbler, would every single case look the exact same? I feel like it wouldn't happen to some of them just by chance.

Either way, does anyone know how I can fix the brass in the meantime until I figure out what caused it?

Trim the brass.

If you wet tumbled for an hour plus, that can do it. I’m sure tumbler capacity/fill can impact how much the cases bang against one another, but I haven’t tested it thoroughly. I just wet tumble for <20min with no pins now. Haven’t had that issue since.

Trim the brass.

If you wet tumbled for an hour plus, that can do it. I’m sure tumbler capacity/fill can impact how much the cases bang against one another, but I haven’t tested it thoroughly. I just wet tumble for <20min with no pins now. Haven’t had that issue since.
The brass is already just under the trim length in the reloading book. Will going even shorter affect anything or ruin the brass?

The brass is already just under the trim length in the reloading book. Will going even shorter affect anything or ruin the brass?

You’ll have to neck turn it. Trimming will take the neck down pretty far.

You’ll have to neck turn it. Trimming will take the neck down pretty far.
Never done that so I'll give it a try. Do you think I should just trim the lip off of the mouth or trim the whole neck? Thanks