• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing one and only one rifle for any north american game

seabass1858

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
If you had to choose one and only one rifle to hunt all game in north america to include canada and alaska, what caliber and make would you choose for deer sized game plus.

Re: one and only one rifle for any north american game

06, 7mm mag

I like those calibers a lot especially the 06 with premium hand loads
grin.gif

I was told .308 since you can load 110g up through 220g (if I recall correctly) plus plenty of factory loads. Seems like a 7-08 would be next in line on the smaller side and 7mm mag on the larger side.

I went with a 308 Ruger Frontier Scout for fit, carry weight and versatility of optics mounting. No regrets and it has been used on antelope, deer and elk.

Just making sure i chose right cause I went with a savage 30-06 a while ago recently because I have plans to PCS to Alaska, and so far have taken a plethora of hogs and coyotes. My great grand father used 30-06 for large brown bears in alaska up to cape buffalo in africa. he is 91 now still hunts with the same rifle for deer and black bear he used for a 9' brownie in the early 60s. 200-220gr nosler partition is key with shot placement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">375 H&H </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you had to choose one and only one rifle... what caliber and make would you choose for deer sized game plus. </div></div>Very few of the above replies are rifles.

AWM in .338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">375 H&H </div></div>
Thank you. The 375 H&H has been called the most versatile cartridge ever for good reason. 235gr for deer at a distance and 350gr for nasties up close with everything in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338-06 </div></div>

I agree. Probably the most underrated hunting cartridge out there. Will take ANYTHING in N.A. with purpose.

300 WSM Kimber Montana 8400

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LegioX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">375 H&H </div></div>
Thank you. The 375 H&H has been called the most versatile cartridge ever for good reason. 235gr for deer at a distance and 350gr for nasties up close with everything in between. </div></div>

A coworker goes middle of the road shooting 260 gr Accubonds in his 375. He routinely knocks the crap out of all the big game up here. It's an absolute hammer.

I'd be plenty happy with my 308. Shot placement + quality amm = dead game.

30-378 weatherby.

30-06
.300wm
7mm mag

Any of those would work.

338-06, 8mm mauser, 338WM, 9.3x64, 375h-h/375 ruger.

30.06 and you can find ammo at just about any mom and pop store to any big box store in the country.

This question is as old as blackpowder but still fun.

30.06 for lower 48. Chose it over 7 mag because of cartridge choices and availability.

.375 if Alaska will be regular part of usage (plus now you are gunned for Africa).

But really . . . I'm more inclined to think you need different rifles when hunting black eyed prairie dogs vs brown eyed prairie dogs! Think big ! More rifles the better !

30-06 because of

Ammo availablility
Flexibility of chambering with hand loads
Power (not the biggest, but still lots of it)
Excellent precision level
Excellent components choice
Manageable for lots of different uses even with a hunting weight rifle.

One and only, then a 30-06.

It's not the best at every job, but it does many many jobs very well.

A lot of 30-06 fans around here, I have a ruger m77 30-06 it does the job but If he wants to add Alaska into the mix the 30-06 will do it even for large bear in AK with great shot placement, but you have to learn how to hand load because no factory ammo that i know of specify (Large Bear or Bison) on the package. Learn to reload and 30-06 may be what you are looking for but i would opt for a 338 or 8mm anything.

+1 what BOHEM and others said above, .3006

2nd and third being 45-70 lever or 12 guage with slugs at shorter ranges, which makes it interesting.

Only one rifle, I'd have to go with the '06. Plenty of whop for anything, with good bullet and shot placement.
Eric

Was just reading an article
300 Weatherby mag...was first choice
Not a popular round
Thus
Cannot argue with 30-06 for choice and availability
or
300Win mag.

Just had M Gordon screw together a 30.06 LH 700 trued, with a LW 1-10 twist 20 bbl. for just this reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was just reading an article
300 Weatherby mag...was first choice
Not a popular round
Thus
Cannot argue with 30-06 for choice and availability
or
300Win mag. </div></div>
I've tried them all with a major in 30-06 and up.
I find the 30-06 adequate for all game and although its hardly electrifying on the really big stuff I find its performance to be entirely satisfactory. You would be hard pressed to choose better.

For those that don't mind a bit more recoil I believe the 340 Weatherby is as good as it gets. Loaded with a 225 TTSX or Accubond it retains the muzzle energy of the 30-06 with a bunch more bullet size... Out at 400 yards...Now there is a worthy upgrade! (if you ask me
smile.gif
). In a 8.5-9 pound completed rifle I find recoil entirely acceptable.

So why the 340 over the 338Win or faster 338's?
I find the 338Win a bit sluggish and much more fussy to load for. Grab H-4331, Rl-22, RL-25, H-1000, or IMR-7828 and the 340 delivers sick accuracy at top velocities.
While the 338W drives lighter bullets at good speed the 340 drives the heavier bullets I intend to use on large game at the same speed.

So what about the Lapua, Rum, and larger?
As good as the 338 Lapua is you end up packing another pound or so of action...A poor trade off for me.
The Rum is getting nasty in a 8.5 pound rifle and the Edge is just filthy..I have a 8.5 pound 338Edge that kicks with more enthusiasm than my 8-3/4 pound 416 Rem...Too much for most and to what gain?
Can't tell you why I pack it...Cause I can?
smile.gif

Probably cause Momma dropped me on my head!
smile.gif

Truth is...Place our shot well then collect your animal. I don't care what you shoot. I think bullet selection is more important than caliber.

Peace

7 mm rem mag can be found in any store in the US.

This is not a rifle, but probably the most versital gun would be a 12 guage. All game in North America would, I assume, include birds and small rodents (i.e. rabbits and squirrels). The 12 guage can do it all and is arguably the best home defense weapon. The only limitation is range.

For a "rifle" anything in the .30 cal range from .308 Win on up will do just fine for any North American big game.

I have been reading up on the old 300H&H. 150 grain bullets about as fast as a 300mag, 250 grainers faster and with less perceived recoil (whatever that means). I think a rifle that can accurately handle a 100 grain swing in bullet weight is a pretty handy all-around deal. I have not killed thing-one with mine yet so I am talking out my butt really. I will use it this fall for all my Tags and will be sure to report back. I will say that I have never ever never cycled any round as smoothly as these things run in/out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you had to choose one and only one rifle to hunt all game in north america to include canada and alaska, what caliber and make would you choose for <span style="font-weight: bold">deer sized game plus</span>. </div></div>

..for deer size and plus, then 30-06 has my vote.

Pre 64 model 70. 30-06.

My 300 WSM would be my choice. The 185 grain bullet at 3025 FPS hits pretty hard.

If I were going to be in Alaska constantly, 375 H&H all the way.

If I were going to be in the lower 48 mostly with a trip or two to Alaska, then I'd go with a 300 Win Mag if I didn't reload, or a 300 RUM if I did. The 300 Win because you can find it anywhere. Since I do reload, the 300 RUM has enormous versatility depending on how hot you load it.

That said, I've been using a 7 WSM on damn near everything and been very happy with the terminal performance and the lack of meat destruction.

This question really revolves around whether you can always have your reloads around, or must have access to factory ammo from stores.

30-06 for me. I love the 30-06 round, however, that being said, I don't use it for most of my hunting. However, if I wanted a round to hunt any size game, that's for sure what I'd go with.

6.5X47 Lapua in a DPMS AP-4. 20" 8 twist SS medium weight barrel.
Shoot 95V-Max for yotes and varmints, 129SST's for deer, 140 AB's or PT's for the big stuff. Handy, fast follow up shot(s), no recoil, and it's a 6.5, what's not to like?

300 WM.

Reasons:

1.) Availability of factory ammo and components; .308 diameter bullets nearly always available.

2.) Flexibility of loadings; 110 V-max can be sent @ pretty high velocity for varmints and small stuff, 200+ grain hunting bullets delivered with authority for large/dangerous game.

3.) Good LR hunting bullets and rifles commonly available.

Wouldn't feel under-gunned with my .308 or a 30-06 either though.

-The Kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5X47 Lapua in a DPMS AP-4. 20" 8 twist SS medium weight barrel.
Shoot 95V-Max for yotes and varmints, 129SST's for deer, 140 AB's or PT's for the big stuff. Handy, fast follow up shot(s), no recoil, and it's a 6.5, what's not to like? </div></div>
yes, something in the 6.5mm catagory. 6.5x55 Swede has some inexpensive brass with a large powder capability, especially if you fireform it into the Ackley Improved version. Load it up with the 160 grain round nose bullets for the largest game and you are in business! And its a very wicked flat shooting monster when you use the small varmint bullets.

I like the 7 wsm. Or the 7mm mag. For reloaders there is a large selection of bullets.

Out of all the above mentioned, the only one I would agree with is the 30-06. I own a pre 64 Win 70 in 30-06. It's a great rifle and the 06 has done everything I need it to. I have been to plenty of sttores that don't sell ammo for my 300 Win Mag, but hey have boxes after boxes of 06 ammo. But I would second a 30-30 because it's very readily available too.

My father has taken Moose, Bear, Deer, Elk and Hogs with his Win 94 in 30-30 LA, open sights. Also alot of other critters.