• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing one and only one rifle for any north american game

Re: one and only one rifle for any north american game

My choice would be the 300 WM for the wide range of load and bullet availability.

Running bullets from 110 grns on small thin skin game (explosive) through 210 grn bullets on heavy game the 300 WSM gets the nod.

While my Blaser K95 30-06 loaded with RWS 184 gr Rap-X ammo would do the job on anything in North America, my Blaser R93 Professional in 9.3x62 would do it with a smaller margin of error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you had to choose one and only one rifle to hunt all game in north america to include canada and alaska, what caliber and make would you choose for deer sized game plus. </div></div>

Off the shelf for all North America, Tikka T3 SS in 338win. Add a brake. They are hard to find now but this is the tool for Alaskan hunters.

If I had the nuggets, HS Precision Lightweight Pro Hunter 300wsm necked up to 338....just because.

Just the states, Tikka T3 SS Lite in 308win with barrel chopped to 18". Some day I will change it out to 338fed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just making sure i chose right cause I went with a savage 30-06 a while ago recently because I have plans to PCS to Alaska, and so far have taken a plethora of hogs and coyotes. My great grand father used 30-06 for large brown bears in alaska up to cape buffalo in africa. he is 91 now still hunts with the same rifle for deer and black bear he used for a 9' brownie in the early 60s. 200-220gr nosler partition is key with shot placement.</div></div>

For Alaska, this will work just fine, most hunters really do not understand hunting in Alaska. For a 4 your tour, you may not get to hunt as much as you think / want. Leave is very competitive during Aug and Sept...hunting takes a good amount of leave time not to mention money...so...good luck.

i agree with some of the earlier post, if its gonna be your one sole rifle for any north american game, i would want a round that i can walk into any gun store and pick up a box of ammo...no matter if your in Maine, Texas, or any where in between.

Another vote for 30.06 or a 300WM. Half the cartridges name here (as good as they are) have never been heard of by most of the folks in my county thus ammo would not be readily available.

I would go 300WM if you don't mind the recoil. But my first choice would be the .308 if I could only have one for everything.

JamieD

AI Stocks and Accessories

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was just reading an article
300 Weatherby mag...was first choice
Not a popular round
</div></div>This.......... My first choice. With my hand loads of course. 110 gr. V-Max at 3800 to a 208 A-max, or my own lathe turned tipped hollow point 200 gr. at 2950-3000 would take any game this continent can throw at it, and I would guess most of Africa too.

'06. I like the .280 but would prefer the '06's capacity to push bigger lead for the really pissy growlers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger29</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was just reading an article
Not a popular round
</div></div>This.......... My first choice. With my hand loads of course. 110 gr. V-Max at 3800 to a 208 A-max, or my own lathe turned tipped hollow point 200 gr. at 2950-3000 would take any game this continent can throw at it, and I would guess most of Africa too. </div></div>
Just curious , but why Weatherby over Winchester?
I have used the 300Wby and find the 300Win does the same thing (give or take 50Fps).
Anyway, just wondered.

Peace

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger29</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was just reading an article
Not a popular round
</div></div>This.......... My first choice. With my hand loads of course. 110 gr. V-Max at 3800 to a 208 A-max, or my own lathe turned tipped hollow point 200 gr. at 2950-3000 would take any game this continent can throw at it, and I would guess most of Africa too. </div></div>
Just curious , but why Weatherby over Winchester?
I have used the 300Wby and find the 300Win does the same thing (give or take 50Fps).
Anyway, just wondered.

Peace </div></div>I'm pushing 180's to 3250+, and 210's to 3000 or better. I can't get my win mag to keep up, and with my very long lathe turned bullets, the win mag suffers due to it's short neck, the bullet is in the powder column. I can get about 8 more grains in the wby case with my bullet.

are we talkin dangerous game too??

tough call, anything below grizzlies and moose i feel like you could easily get by with a 7mm, or 260 but once you include those two behemouths it changes the game and you need to step up the caliber.

I think most people in America totally over buy their caliber... Most buy what is cool or what their buddy has. In reality pretty much any properly equipped 6.5mm will kill what ever you want. All of Europe has been Killing stuff with 6.5mm rounds without any issues. It's just us Americans that are hung up on the .30 Cal "requirement"....

im gonna be different and go with my 35 whelen!! works great on big critters and on smaller ones you can still almost eat up to the hole.

338 win mag for any north American game.

30-06 has my vote. seen it take down everything from african game to bobcats. also like that you can walk in to joe bobs corner store and buy and ammo.

I would vote 30-06 because this round has been here for over 100 years. It has take more game then most out there. Youcan go all over the world and walk into any store and get 30-06 you can load it from 110 grs all the way to 220 grs bullets. Sure they are other rounds out there do it faster harder or what every but this old war dog will always be around.
Cheers
505Gibbs

My first choice would be a 300 win mag because its in the closet. If I had to go buy one tomorrow? 30-06 because of the versatility.

30-06 or 300 ultra. I have loved my 06. Went with the ultra for the extra reach.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alibi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre 64 model 70. 30-06. </div></div>

This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alibi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pre 64 model 70. 30-06. </div></div>This </div></div>Agreed.

300 or 325 WSM.

the 6.5 bullet has a long history of taking big game in Europe so anything up to or above this would work. Its all about shot placement

For years it was a 7mm STW. Good penetration, great energy and most importantly it was accurate for me. Now, I guess I would use a 7mm mag or 30-06. Finding ammo for the 7mm STW is a bear.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">45-70</span></span>, without question. Why? Versatility.

I can load it light or heavy and it really doesn't care.

It will shoot jacketed bullets, cast bullets of many different alloys, and paper patched soft lead bullets. These are all good for different things. I've even made loads with size T shot and while it did spread more than a shotgun would have, it killed squirrels OK.

I can do smokeless or black powder.

The 45-70 will easily drop deer with a light load under a 300gr bullet with minimal meat loss while bison will go in one shot with a 550gr paper patched bullet of 16:1 alloy that reliably expands to the size of a half dollar.

It hasn't survived for 139 years for nothing!

My vote for caliber would be a 7mm WSM., reason being, it has more than enough umph to kill anything in North America and darn near everything else as well. And it can do it at extended range accurately.

Now...which rifle? Wow, that will require some serious thought on my part
smile.gif
. I would have to go with a GAP Non-Typical, Templar Long Action, 26" premium barrel, sendero contour, fluted, braked, timney trigger, McMillan HTG Adjustible M40 smooth woodland camo standard fill, and with a DBM, Barreled action IonBonded. Perfect combination of accuracy, terminal ballistics, and weight.

Is probably slap a NF F1 MIL/MIL MLR on it as well......unless they come out with the 5.5-22 F1 before I have to make my choice
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PanaDP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">45-70</span></span>, without question. Why? Versatility. </div></div>

I should add the rifle preference now that I outlined cartridge preference. I'd take it in a ruger #1 with a low power scope, something like a 4x. Leave the iron sights on the thing for backup.

7 wsm or 300 wsm leaning harder to the latter!

Know the 30-06, but grandpa took almost everything w/ a .270 & could probably out shoot me today with it. I like the flexibility & availability of 30-06, but have enjoyed my friend's 7mm & 300win. Though I haven't personally hunted with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 WSM Kimber Montana 8400 </div></div>

ive got 2 8400's and neither will hold a group! They are now safe guns!

Yup....30-06...$20 box of 150s or 220s all over the place. Nasty ballistics.

Something different? How about a 9Lb AR-15 in .450 Bushmaster. .45-70 ballistics. Guys are taking the big 5 in Africa with this round...quick follow up shot with 5-7 round mag.

IMG_20120115_080338.jpg

IMG_20120115_080440.jpg

IMG_20120115_092648.jpg

No right or wrong answer as there are too many excellent choices out there. I am a huge fan of the 375 H&H and it is what I have used most of the last 30 years guiding in Alaska.

The 375 is perfect for planes game in Africa.

I have given a lot of thought on the subject of ” if I had to pick just one rifle to do everything”

I would pick a controlled feed bolt action chambered in 30-06.

For 30+ years I have told clients 30-06 is the minimum that I will let them use for Brown/Grizzly hunts and never let guides that worked for me carry anything smaller than a .338. I will explain why my personal choice is the 30-06 as the best all around do everything North American cartridge

My personal requirements if I had to live with only 1 rifle are as follows.

1. Must be totally reliable.
2. Must have good availability for ammo and reloading components.
3. Must be versatile enough to hunt any animal in North America from varmint to moose and bear.
4. Must be able to be used in competitive shoots for tactical, silhouette and national match.
5. Could be used for self defense or survival should SHTF.
6. Reasonable cost to shoot, both ammo cost and barrel life are factors.
The 4 calibers that I considered as my front runners.
1. 308 in a bolt, or M1A platform
2. 30-06 in a bolt or M1 platform
3. 300 win mag in a bolt
4. 375 H&H in a bolt

I would be happy with any of the above but for me the 30-06 has the edge for best all around.

I thank God I can live in a country that I can have multiple rifles and hand guns in as many calibers as I want and can afford.

PS.

Now that I made my case for the 30-06 when I go back to Alaska next month or just wake up tomorrow I may change my mind (again) and come up with reasons to pick the.375 or the 300 or the 308.

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110

My family has a Rem 700 in 375H&H that has been Ackley Improved. Has taken everything from Griz to whitetails. We load for it and bullet selection goes from light 200 gr to the heavy 300 gr. But my 308 hasn't let me down ever. Went to the 7 mag for a while, but recoul wasn't my thing. JPG

30-06AI with a good barrel you still get excellent accuracy firing regular 06 in it but can hand load and push it even farther.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">300 WM.

Reasons:

1.) Availability of factory ammo and components; .308 diameter bullets nearly always available.

2.) Flexibility of loadings; 110 V-max can be sent @ pretty high velocity for varmints and small stuff, 200+ grain hunting bullets delivered with authority for large/dangerous game.

3.) Good LR hunting bullets and rifles commonly available.

Wouldn't feel under-gunned with my .308 or a 30-06 either though.

-The Kid. </div></div>

What he said no doubt

My go to go anywhere rifle is a 30-06. Rem 700 SS action with a 23" #3 Broughton 10 twist on it. I'm running 200g NAB's at 2725 fps and it's 1/2 MOA.

Although I have another rifle coming in the mail today from the smith that I hope out performs the 30-06. The new one is a stiller predator with a Brux #4 fluted 10 twist at 24" in 300wsm. It's throated for the 208 Amax.

So my choice would be either 30-06 or 300 wsm.

Bb

My 1947 Win model 70 06 has done it all..

Have reloaded pills from 125gr to 220gr

DSC03815.jpg

My 300 wsm is showing some potential with 208 amax's at 2880fps. I'll try it on some game this fall. It may be my new go to rifle. Although my 30-06 with 200g AB's at 2725 fps shoots a solid 1/2 MOA and really get's it done.

When I went to africa in 2008 300 wsm ammo was available in several shops but 30-06 was available at ranch. I took my old 300 wsm and a 375 ruger but shot everything with the 375 ruger. 5 shots 5 animals.

Bb

well if for some reason you could only have one, it would have to be the tried and true 30-06. With bullet selection you can do anything you need to in North America and Canada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longrange1971</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well if for some reason you could only have one, it would have to be the tried and true 30-06. With bullet selection you can do anything you need to in North America and Canada.

</div></div>

Cool. If ever I accidentally stray into those parts of Canada that aren't in North America, it's good to know that as long as I'm carrying the right bullets in my '06, I've still got my bases covered!
wink.gif

-The Kid.

Would have to choose my 338 Lapua, it is very accurate, easy to shoot, and has incredible range....