• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing one and only one rifle for any north american game

Re: one and only one rifle for any north american game

I have a Remington 700 stainless with a 25" Shilen 1-10" select match that I bought just for that reason. I can take it anywhere in North America and load from 110 to 220 grain pills for squirrels to grizz. Think it'll do nicely. Might have to put the bullet in just the right spot on the bigger critters, and I'm sure the 110's would turn into shotgun pellets if pushed fast enough, but it'll do the job. Although, 220gr SMK's would kill, clean and skin the squirrels all at once. The only problem would be finding the chunks.

338 wm, 160-280 grain bullets and the best sectional density by far

I second 300 WM for the reasons listed above. You can't go wrong with .30-06 but 300WM is a bit more flexible and will take out many types of bears (although I would feel more comfortable with a .450 Bush or .50 Beowulf in the AR platform against a bear)

I still think that the 300WSM is the modern version of the '06. The only drawback is that only 3 rounds fit in the magazine. It has more power, similar recoil, very flat shooting.

I recently went with a 325WSM so that heavier bullets can be utilized. This will be for use in Alaska and British Columbia, where there are plenty of brown bears. I wanted a little insurance.

325WSM in Winchester 70, Extreme Weather. Scope rail from Near Mfg. is on the way. My choice for all of North America.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Burleyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My go to go anywhere rifle is a 30-06. Rem 700 SS action with a 23" #3 Broughton 10 twist on it. I'm running 200g NAB's at 2725 fps and it's 1/2 MOA.

Although I have another rifle coming in the mail today from the smith that I hope out performs the 30-06. The new one is a stiller predator with a Brux #4 fluted 10 twist at 24" in 300wsm. It's throated for the 208 Amax.

So my choice would be either 30-06 or 300 wsm.

Bb </div></div>

How are you getting that energy level out of an '06?

Seems most went with a caliber not a rifle. For caliber I would go .338 or .375.

My Browning A-bolt stainless steel Stalker in 30-06 with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold vx-III. One thing I would like to do to it is put an ultra light Manners composite hunting stock on it. Aint nothing like an uber light gun for those all day nature hikes in the woods.

It would be a 30-06 of some sort because you can buy ammo just about everywhere.

300wm, it's what I grew up with. Love it.

Some small calibers for anything in North America?? Bison, Grizzly bears... I'd want something with more "oomph"

For years the standard long action caliber that is not punishing to the average shooter, and can do what you describe very well is the 30-06.
The .308 is close enough if you prefer short action bolt rifle.
I have seen guys carry around sporter weight rifles in 300WM who cant hit what they aim at when needed due to flinch, or not practicing enough because ammo is so expensive.
Is the 30-06 the best for long range? NO
Is is the flattest? NO
Is is the newest tacticool cartridge? NO
but with bullet weights from 110 to 220 grains, it does everything well, and a glorious history of being the cartridge and rifle that carried our troops through WW2 and korea, and has killed countless game animals domestic and abroad.
Jeff cooper once commented that he could hunt anything on the planet armed with just (3) rifle calibers, a .375 H&H for DGR, a .22 for the pot, and a 30-06 for everything in between.
When Jeff was forced to choose only one, it was the 30-06.
good enough for me.

Still favoring the .30-'06 with the .280 Rem in a dead heat. If cheating was allowed and a switch barrel rifle could enter this competition, I'd add .35 Whelen for those rare occasions where the .30-'06 was clearly not a big enough chambering.

Greg

I am confident in the range, lethaility and availability of the 308 and have found it deadly on all forms of NA animals. but prefer a 3/8 cal

It's a silly question. If I'm ever restricted to only one rifle it will either be because all firearms have been banned and I'm in hiding or I'm on my death bed. In either case I won't be hunting game.

If your in hiding what are you going to eat!!?? jk<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lou Boyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a silly question. If I'm ever restricted to only one rifle it will either be because all firearms have been banned and I'm in hiding or I'm on my death bed. In either case I won't be hunting game. </div></div>

If I wanted to improve on lethality over the .308, I'd go with the .260; better retained energy downrange, and a flatter trajectory.

I put the .260 in between the .308 and .30-'06, and the 280 just beyond the .30-'06; again with better retained energy and flatter trajectory, bullet weight for bullet weight.

The only issue I'd have with the .260 and 280 is ammo availability, but some of that is improving.

Also, the 94AE 44Mag is one awesome brush gun for deer. I think of it as an easier to shoot handgun with extra reach. Very compact and easy to mainipulate, and the lever action is a natural for me; sometimes I forget to pump the 870. D'oh...!

I know the 06 is plenty lethal for anything in NA, hell my grandpa killed a Grizzley, elk, moose, and carribou with one, but I was just thinking "if you could only have one..." Isn't it a little on the small side, even with all of the success it has already had?

I do like the idea of a 45-70 though..

If i'm doing an all-around gun going big is an idea but i like to shoot too much and getting pounded by recoil of a cannon gets old fast and will usually hurt your precision. i would compromise to a less than ideal for cartridge for the largest game and have something milder to shoot. I'd go .308 or .260, unless i was hunting alot of elk then i may go bigger but for everything else it is plenty of rifle and fun to shoot and it will kill elk just have a shorter acceptable range then a 300wm or similar.

I'd say 30-06AI in a sako L61R/AIII. The action is strong, light, and the box is long enough to seat the bullets way out there so you can get all room you can in the case for powder that you can. I built a 6.5-280AI on one and had Dave Kiff make me a reamer throated for the 140 berger seated OUT THERE. With it kissing the lands, I still have plenty of room in the mag well. Buy one originally chambered in the '06 family and it still feeds the AI version without any issues.
Enough people have explained why the chambering is a great compromise already.
Oh, I couldn't be happier with the McMillan hunter's edge stock mine's sitting in also.
Jake

My 375 Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan with Leupold 1x4 shooting 260 gr Accs. Addicted Brown Bear hunting and everything else will fall to the 3/8 cal bullet!

a good reliable accurate 30-06 is all you need really as long as your skills can get 100% out of it. As a poor shooter, the bigger the cal the better.
cheers.

Something in 30 cal for sure. Most say 06 and I like that idea. However 308 is very available and my personal favorite the 300wm may be overkill on some game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seabass1858</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you had to choose one and only one rifle to hunt all game in north america to include canada and alaska, what caliber and make would you choose for deer sized game plus. </div></div>

.375 H&H built on a commercial Mauser action. It would have to shoot my handloads.

30-06. Everyone and their little sister owns one, which makes finding ammo extremely easy.

Ruger 77 .280 Rem, .30-'06; either one. I have them and they work.

I draw the line just below the really big bears. For that, I still think the .35 Whelen is the minimum.

Greg

300 win mag would be my choice!