• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors One can for two different guns

stradibarrius

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
This will be my first suppressor and am wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages in using one can for both guns? A .308 and 6.5cm. Both are bolt guns. Would it be better to get a separate suppressor for each gun?

I’d estimate the majority of people here do that. It just makes sense. Undetectable loss of performance running a 30 on a 6.5. I did a test recently with a friend where we shot a creedmoor through an Omega with different end caps. We both liked the tone of the 30 cal end cap better than the 6.5 end cap. It was quite obvious to both of us too.

I went with a ultra 7 in 30 cal and will be using it on a 6.5 and a planned 300 prc build.
Hopefully will be getting the call soon to pick it up.

Single can. Slight difference in DB for caliber specific at least in case of TBAC, but you should be wearing hearing protection any way so not a major difference vs cost of another can and tax stamp. You can look at YouTube an see the ThunderBeast comparisons if you want an idea. As pointed out different cans have slightly different signatures so one may be perceived to be quieter than another depending on sound frequencies. There isn't really a consistent measurement system or even a standard at this point for db measurement between mfgs.

This will be my first suppressor and am wondering if there are advantages/disadvantages in using one can for both guns? A .308 and 6.5cm. Both are bolt guns. Would it be better to get a separate suppressor for each gun?

Almost everyone who isn't either selling suppressors, stinking rich and/or exceedingly persnickety will tell you it is a waste of money to buy a separate can for a 6.5. I will go you even one better -- if your two calibers were .30 and .204, I would still say just get one can. My 9" 30-cal suppresses by .204 and .223 just about the same as my 7" 223-cal suppressor does.

I got my 223-cal suppressor first but knowing what I know now I would say just get the 30, unless you just want two cans anyway. I do because sometime I shoot varmints with a friend or relative who does not own a suppressor, and I like to be able to loan them one, because if we are shooting together it doesn't do me much good to be suppressed if they aren't. They just need to show up with a threaded muzzle. Other than that, however one 30-cal would cover my needs just fine.

However, you may want to consider a suppressor that breaks down into either a 7" configuration or a 9", like my Banish 30. Sometimes I want maximum suppression, but sometimes I want maximum handiness (as when hunting). Having both in one suppressor is wonderful.

Reactions: deersniper
If you're gonna get two get a 22lr and a 30 or if 3 is your number a 22lr and 6.5 and 30. You definitely will not regret the 22lr.
They are a smile producer for sure.

Reactions: deersniper
If you're gonna get two get a 22lr and a 30 or if 3 is your number a 22lr and 6.5 and 30. You definitely will not regret the 22lr.
I did this and agree. Covers most everything. Just have to make sure you have thread adapter down to 1/2 if your 30 is 5/8.

I will also put a vote in for getting a 30 cal and 22 cal suppressor if you are only going to get two. This is what I have right now.

I was thinking of getting a 6.5 dedicated can, but then I realized what I really need is a 338 can. That is the next on the list for me. I saw a guy shoot a 6br with a 338 Ultra on it at a match and it was like a 22 going off. The closest to Hollywood quiet i have ever seen a match rifle.

I got to shoot a TBAC 338 at a range day and it was awesome. Never thought I would pull the trigger on a 338 with no hearing protection. I don't recommend it but in a pinch it's tolerable.

Ditto on chamber brake's comment, make sure your threads match or go with an adapter system.

I bought a Sandman L to run on a 6.5 SAUM bolt gun with the intention of getting a 6.5mm end cap for it. After shooting it as the can came I decided it was not worth the $65 for the cap. I will not likely ever own a 6.5mm can.

The only reason I'd ever get a can with a bore under .30 cal would be for a F/A rated .223 can that I wanted to flog on AR-15's. Otherwise the only inconvenience is 1/2-28 vs. 5/8-24.

If I were to do it over again, I'd have started with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 .30. I started with an SRT 9" .30 cal mag can and it's great, it's just a little heavier. The thunderbeast mounts to brakes so barrel thread pitch isn't an issue, and a 7" 30 cal can is good enough for most all applications.

I faced the same question when I bought my first can, went with a .30 cal Ultra 7 and run it on .300 Blackout, 6.5, and all 6mm rounds. It's the way to go. You'll end up buying a bunch of muzzle brakes for quick attach.

Each of my guns has it’s own suppressor...I thought I only wanted one too...now look.

I started with a .30 cal then got a .22 and have looked at 6.5 specific ones as well as a .338. The thing that gets me is the wait more than the money. If I could just pick one up and get the instant gratification I would have way more
True statement.

I would have at least as many cans as guns, if it were not for the wait. At this point I don't even really care about the 200 dollar tax stamp (not that I want to pay that either) it is just the wait that makes me hesitate. I moved last year, and put off getting a can because I knew it would be getting processed while I moved, and that would be a whole new ball of wax. Had it been an instant process like a firearm purchase, I would already have it.

Reactions: Penguins
I waited for years. Just do it and then you will kick yourself for waiting like everyone else who has done the same thing!

I’ll pile on the 3 suppressor solution.. 30cal, 6.5, 223 (instead of 22lr).

I notice the difference when a 30cal is on a 6mm or 6.5.

If you’re gonna wait the year might as well do it big!

Here’s an advantage of one (or 10) 30 cal can. You’ll never screw a 6.5 cal can on your 308. Otherwise you might, once...

This! 22lr can is just too much fun. I'm happy with switching 30 cal can between my 6.5 creed and .300 blackout

Absolutely no problem doing that. My first can was a YHM nitro 30. It's 30 cal, can change the adapter for direct thread or their qd system, then I bought a YHM ultra light titanium to use hunting, bought it before the stamp on the Nitro was approved. Thought process was nitro for range use, its modular so i can adapt it to any gun I want, and the ULT for hunting, its lightweight, can handle what i need it to do. Those were the only 2 cans I would need, covered all my bases. this was in early 2017, received them march-ish 2018...

I now have 8 cans in my possession with more in jail.

You can absolutely get by with one 30 cal can to shoot everything 30 cal and smaller. But this is America and who wants to go through the hassle of moving cans around from gun to gun and making sure you have the right adapter for each one, etc. Plus they get real hot real quick while shooting so it's a pain to swap them from gun to gun while at the range....

My advice is to get a 30 cal can that can handle all your needs, so that you can shoot it on all your guns while your next cans are in jail :)