• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors One can - Multiple Calibers?

acloco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2006
Nebraska
How much efficiency will be lost if I purchase a 30 cal can and use on 223/243/284/308 calibers?

Re: One can - Multiple Calibers?

It is not as bad as you think come over and shoot some of my demos. I also have a group buy and will not be undersold in Nebraska.

EWOAF - Have you been peeking in my safe? You are right, I forgot 6.5/264. Thanks for reminding me.

Operator - PM inbound.

This is just an opinion of mine, but for a multi caliber can...running a .30 cal on anything down to .243 works wonders.
If I ever get a .223 or smaller, I'll look at a dedicated .223 can for that range.
My YHM 7.62 Phandom QD sounds fine and dandy on my .243WSSM, so I can only assume anything in between would have similar results in the other calibers you've listed. The .223 will be the obvious weak spot.

My 762SD sounded just as good on 5.56 as my SPR-M4. I would never have bought a dedicated 5.56 can if I had gotten the .30 cal can first.

These days, the AAC 762SD N6 is a frequently chosen multi-cal suppressor.

A 308 can will work on a 223 can. It just won't usually work better than a dedicated .223 can.

The overbored baffles won't retard the gases like the smaller bore baffles will. The other downside is that the 308 can will be longer and heavier than is required for the .223. The 308 can just won't be as efficient on the .223 cartridge as the smaller dedicated can.

Obviously, the upside is that it will work fine, and you will only have to make one initial investment and pay for one initial tax stamp.

Many guys buy the 308 can first (use it on multiple hosts) and then later add the .223 can to the arsenal.

They work fine, the .30 can would usually be a little longer than a 223 can, but they don't leak much noise. The sound, unless you go subsonic ammo, is the normal supersonic crack anyway so the muzzle blast is what you are supressing. I would suggest you go titanium though, much lighter than the stainless.

Thanks to each and every one of you. Info and experience is greatly appreciated.

I think the extra baffles/volume makes up for the lack of gas stripping from the overbored baffles. My 22-250 sounds great with both the YHM 7.62 SS Phantom and TBAC 30P-1. Granted, I dont have a dedicated .223 can yet, but I cant imagine it getting much better.

Nice thing about the 30P-1 is that you wont even find many 223 cans that are notably lighter in weight than it. Even the 223P-1 is only 1oz lighter than the 30, and Ive HEARD that they dont work very well with 30cal
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Nice thing about the 30P-1 is that you wont even find many 223 cans that are notably lighter in weight than it. Even the 223P-1 is only 1oz lighter than the 30, and Ive HEARD that they dont work very well with 30cal
wink.gif
</div></div>

I have heard the same thing...LOL
waiting on the 30p-1 now. I also have a 22-250 threaded for it.
Wish I would get the call..........

I have used my .30 cal can on all my rifles except my .22 and it runs well and actually like it for the .223 better then my .223 can

I run an AAC 762SD on my 16" ar15 5.56 and on my AR10 .308 18" and on bolt guns in .308 of various barrel lengths. I have to say that the 30 cal can on a .223 works excellent and just as well as the m4-2000 did. The upside is that the 30 cal can has less gas blow back on the AR15 than the 223 did. The sacrifice as listed above is the excess size and weight than what is needed. It does reduce bulk when going to the range and having to keep track of extra NFA items. Maybe one day I will buy a micro sized 223 can for super light weight if the need were to arise, otherwise I would have no purpose to change the current configuration.

I run a 338 can for 338, 300, 308, and 260

I run a .30 cal can for .308, .300WM and .260 - it is noticably more efficient in terms of noise reduction with the .30 cals. Shooting the .260 without hearing protection is bordering on uncomfortable whereas the .30's are within reason. I've got dedicated cans for .22H, .223 and .243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a .30 cal can for .308, .300WM and .260 - it is noticably more efficient in terms of noise reduction with the .30 cals. Shooting the .260 without hearing protection is bordering on uncomfortable whereas the .30's are within reason. I've got dedicated cans for .22H, .223 and .243. </div></div>

What can are you using that has a .260 being uncomfortable? I shot my first .260 suppressed 2 weeks ago and was SHOCKED at how well it did with a SRT .30 Shadow XL Ti.

Even my .243WSSM AR with a YHM 7.62 Phantom QD can is no where near uncomfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a .30 cal can for .308, .300WM and .260 - it is noticably more efficient in terms of noise reduction with the .30 cals. Shooting the .260 without hearing protection is bordering on uncomfortable whereas the .30's are within reason. I've got dedicated cans for .22H, .223 and .243. </div></div>

What can are you using that has a .260 being uncomfortable? I shot my first .260 suppressed 2 weeks ago and was SHOCKED at how well it did with a SRT .30 Shadow XL Ti.

Even my .243WSSM AR with a YHM 7.62 Phantom QD can is no where near uncomfortable. </div></div>

Its a ASE Utra, not sure they are available in the US?
ASE Utra

It works brilliantly on anything .30 cal but lets a bit too much noise escape with the 6.5 although it is just about bearable without hearing protection - recoil management on both is excellent (exceptionally effective on the .300WM).

223 sounds almost better outta my 30 cal can then it does in a dedicated 223 cdan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to run a .45 caliber can on a 5.56? a 6.8? 7.62? </div></div>

A 45 can is not made for high power applications. Most pistol cans are made out of aluminium and softer metals. If the can even survived the first shot from a high power rifle it would not take long before catastrophic failure happened.

I have a .30cal can, and if I could have afforded it I would have gone with a .338 can so I could use it on nearly any platform I would own in the future. I realize it wouldn't work as well on smaller calibers but that's something I could live with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helidriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to run a .45 caliber can on a 5.56? a 6.8? 7.62? </div></div>

A 45 can is not made for high power applications. Most pistol cans are made out of aluminium and softer metals. If the can even survived the first shot from a high power rifle it would not take long before catastrophic failure happened. </div></div>

Are there .45 cans that can tolerate the pressures generated by rifles like a 7.62X51? I've read that there are stainless and titanium .45 cans. Looks like you would lose some of the advantages of a can designed for rifles but "one can fits all" is an interesting idea for those of us who do not have unlimited funds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to run a .45 caliber can on a 5.56? a 6.8? 7.62? </div></div>

Almost certainly that answer is no. Especially for some of the most popular designs executed in aluminum. Pistol rounds (most) are low pressure compared to center fire rifle cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Proverbs 18:19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it possible to run a .45 caliber can on a 5.56? a 6.8? 7.62? </div></div>

Almost certainly that answer is no. Especially for some of the most popular designs executed in aluminum. Pistol rounds (most) are low pressure compared to center fire rifle cans.

</div></div>

My first inclination is to agree with you. Even if I did find a handgun suppressor rated to tolerate the pressures of a 7.62 I think it would be very difficult to make all your mounting systems compatible unless you had a very small collection of weapons. Would be good marketing if some bright soul could ever figure out how to make it work.

Even if you could use a .45 product on a rifle, the performance would absolutely SUCK.

The .5" hole in the middle is massive compared to the tiny .224" bullet of a 5.56mm rifle.

If you want to do a multi-cal can- a .338LM suppressor (due to volume and bore diameter, should handle just about all centerfire rifle calibers smaller than .338.

A 30cal will handle everything 30 cal and smaller.

Some of the newer high performance .45 suppressors will perform reasonably well wet with .40 and 9mm.